If Movie Posters Were Real

Mr March

Gotta see this one. Hopefully the Transformers, Indiana Jones and Wall-E parodies justify this topic's inclusion here on MW :)

http://www.holytaco.com/if-movie-posters-were-honest

Enjoy!

Its alright, but I have seen similar things before. If I wasn't such a lazy person I would photoshop some myself.

Taksraven

For me, the second funniest bit was the Transformers poster (As Roger Ebert said about a different film, "I hated hated HATED this movie!"). The funniest bit was this comment from Anonymous:

Theyre mostly funny, but the Transformers one is ridiculous. I am sick to death of people slaggin off transformers. I grew up watchin the cartoon in the 80's and I could not fault it. I thought it was fanstastic and it was Michael Bay's most successful film to date. I would like to see the people that criticise it do a better job.

Some people need to learn what makes a genuinely good movie... :rolleyes:

Theyre mostly funny, but the Transformers one is ridiculous. I am sick to death of people slaggin off transformers. I grew up watchin the cartoon in the 80's and I could not fault it. I thought it was fanstastic and it was Michael Bay's most successful film to date. I would like to see the people that criticise it do a better job.

Some people need to learn what makes a genuinely good movie...

You didn't like the Transformers movie? What did you find un-good about it?

I thought it was pleasant enough. There were lots of plot holes - mainly in terms of the logic (or lack thereof) of some of the character's actions ("let's take the All Spark to the middle of a densely populated city and make our last stand there!") - but I thought Shia LaBeouf's over the top high powered acting really carried the film and made even the craziest parts palpitable (see his brilliant explanation of Megatron's evil under the Hoover Dam - that bit of text could have sunk the film - "he wants to conquer the universe" sounds pretty silly when said outside of the context of a cartoon - but Shia actually managed to pull it off).

As for the Movie Posters - they're not fall on the floor funny - they are actually just really ...honest and true :)

I think if they really made movie posters like that, then more people would go see the movies :)

Pete

I thought it was pleasant enough. There were lots of plot holes - mainly in terms of the logic (or lack thereof) of some of the character's actions ("let's take the All Spark to the middle of a densely populated city and make our last stand there!") - but I thought Shia LaBeouf's over the top high powered acting really carried the film and made even the craziest parts palpitable (see his brilliant explanation of Megatron's evil under the Hoover Dam - that bit of text could have sunk the film - "he wants to conquer the universe" sounds pretty silly when said outside of the context of a cartoon - but Shia actually managed to pull it off).

As for the Movie Posters - they're not fall on the floor funny - they are actually just really ...honest and true :)

I think if they really made movie posters like that, then more people would go see the movies :)

Pete

Come on Pete you should know better than that! Women would never admit the truth about Sex and the City!

I covered all of this in the Transformers Movie thread, but if I can't be arsed to go through dozens of pages to find it, I'm betting you can't either. So, to summarize: I didn't like any of the human characters, the plot stunk ("We need to get the McGuffin out of this dam because we know the enemy will attack!" "I know, let's move it through the big city at lunchtime!"), the herky-jerky camera movements made it almost impossible to actually SEE anything, there was too much comedy (all of which fell flat), the ethnic stereotypes were lame (Look! Black people are FUNNY!), the Transformers themselves got just a couple of lines each (robbing Jazz's death of any impact at all...plus, the dialogue in that scene was lame), and the final battle was too small scale...I mean, if you're going to have a full-on giant robot fight, why contain it to two city blocks? I've seen Godzilla movies that have more exciting battles.

I like dumb fun (epecially dumb fun with robots) as much as the next guy, but Transformers was too much dumb, and not enough fun.

Or, as the photoshopped movie poster had it: "No script. Retarded plot. Get ready for some LOUD NOISES."

(I will admit that I really liked the freeway battle, though. If the rest of the movie had been like that, it would've been great.)

Well - it's hard not to agree with you. I think I liked it because of the emotional context. I grew up watching Transformers and it was always (and still is) a kind of formative series for me. I especially loved the Marvel comics UK version. So, I was psyched for the movie. And, that particular summer of 07, I was vacationing in Dubrovnik (don't know where/what that is? google it and go there - you won't regret it:) ) with "my girlfriends" (what I call my girlfriend and her daughter when we all go somewhere together) and they were playing it - and it was just a comibation of things. We saw it in an out-door theater, in a medievil castel, with the beautiful sea as our backdrop and even at night it was still warm enough that you could go swimming... and I guess the setting, and the background history I have with TFs, and the fact that Peter Cullen is in it - all of that just kind of caused me to like it very much.

But yeah - notice how every reason I give for liking it has nothing to do with the movie itself ;)

Pete

Transformers was a Michael Bay film; that should be all the reason anyone needs to dislike it :)

Seriously, Bay was once quoted as saying "I make films for 16 year-old boys, but some people seem to have a big problem with that." I don't know about anyone else, but when I was 16, I was enjoying Terminator 2: Judgment Day, which had more intelligence in one 5 minute sequence than Michael Bay's entire production bio.

but when I was 16, I was enjoying Terminator 2: Judgment Day, which had more intelligence in one 5 minute sequence than Michael Bay's entire production bio.

Yeah, well - that is true. I was...12? 13? I think when T2 came out and it was awesome. I remember thinking pretty highly of myself for having a magazine fully dedicated to T2 with behind-the-scenes interviews with all of the characters. I wonder what happened to my magazine? For many years I had it lying around and now - poof - it's gone... hmm..

But at least Peter Cullen was in it. :)

Pete

I'll just come out and say it... My lungs still hurt from laughing so much, that was hysterical!!!

Between Tropic Thunder being The Three Amigos 2 and the Transformers reference!! That was awesome!!!

Thanks Mr. March for posting this, you made a dark snowy day seem sunny!!! B))

Yeah, well - that is true. I was...12? 13? I think when T2 came out and it was awesome.

Well, I was actually 15 went T2 came out, but my Bay bashing works better if I say I was 16 :)

Thanks Mr. March for posting this, you made a dark snowy day seem sunny!!! B))

Awww. You're making me all misty now :lol:

I'm glad it brightened your day.

We should do our own poster for the latest Tom Cruise film, Valkyrie, with a little disclaimer at the bottom saying...

Note to Macross fans, this film does NOT contain the type of Valkyries you want to see....

Taksraven

I dunno, Taksraven...these aren't really movie poster that tell the truth...you're just spoiling the endings... :unsure:

Ok, I fixed up the Fight Club one, but I think that the others are fairly legitimate. Lets face it, if people did know some of these 'facts' about the film beforehand they might not go to see them. The Ronin one in particular pissed me off when I saw it, along the lines of 'Whats the effing point!!!!'

I could do the same to similar films like "The Others" or "The Sixth Sense", but I am not nasty. :lol: :lol:

Taksraven

I don't think you get what Gubaba is trying to tell you and he's right on the money.

lemme 'splain...

take Lethal Weapon... the "true version' would be Old guy can't keep up with whacked Out Crazy Nut...

but your take would be Bad Guy Dies in the end!