Bubblegum Crisis to Go Live-Action

areaseven

AIC has made an agreement to collaborate with Singapore-based Cubix International PTE, Ltd. on a proposed live-action adaptation of Bubblegum Crisis. Supposedly, the project will be released in 2011, and both companies will have former ARTMIC members Shinji Aramaki (mechanical design) and Kenichi Sonoda (character design) as consultants.

AIC Agrees to Live-Action Bubblegum Crisis Proposal

I would have a bit more confidence in the project if they weren't doing it with a small time Singaporean animation company that looks to have one, maybe two, films under it's belt. Something tells me this probably won't get out of pre-production, but if it does there sure isn't much to inspire confidence that it'll actually be remotely good.

Edit: Whats the deal with ANN requiring people to log in to view this news story?

Edited by yellowlightman

Do you think a live-action movie can work with all women in the leads? I know apparently Charlie's Angels worked, though I could never sit through more than about 5 minutes of it at a time, but, in general, do you think that the typical scifi/action movie-going public is more receptive to males in the lead roles?

Do you think a live-action movie can work with all women in the leads? I know apparently Charlie's Angels worked, though I could never sit through more than about 5 minutes of it at a time, but, in general, do you think that the typical scifi/action movie-going public is more receptive to males in the lead roles?

It is an interesting idea. I rarely think in those terms. But personally I would rather look at 3 beautiful girls for 2 hours than some dudes but that is just my personal preference. I liked the Charlie's Angels movies and personally had no problem gawking. Also, the Alien's movies (especially the second one - Aliens) are some of my favorite sci-fi and I think that sigourney weaver does a great job in all of them. In blade Runner my favorite parts are the ones with Sean Young and Daryl Hannah were my favorite parts and they were very well matched with the talents of Harrison Ford and Rutger Houer so that one was pretty well balanced in terms of gender.

I hope it has a 2040 aesthetic with Original BGC pacing.

BGC pacing so... eight stand alone episodes in a single movie? The 2040 designs (aside from the re used hard suits) were painful.

I hope it ends up looking better than that B version of Appleseed I've seen some vids about. I wonder if that was even released.

You mean this? http://altjapan.typepad.com/my_weblog/2007/11/ringo.html

It was just a PR short, not an actual movie.

Edit: New update: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-...ke-image-posted

Edited by yellowlightman

The good part is that it revived the interest of the producers for another BGC project :)

I'll check this movie out anyway: die-hard BGC fan inside... and I know you'll all do the same :p

You mean this? http://altjapan.typepad.com/my_weblog/2007/11/ringo.html

It was just a PR short, not an actual movie.

Yup. That's the one.

Can Mospeada be in the pipeline.

I had the same thought. The original creative team seems to be more willing to revisit Mospeada than BGC, given all the Mospeada redesigns floating around.

As Alan Moore said in The Ballad of Halo Jones, "Whatsamatter? Don't you LIKE girls?" :p

BGC pacing so... eight stand alone episodes in a single movie? The 2040 designs (aside from the re used hard suits) were painful.

I liked the 2040 designs, but found BGC more fun to watch. *shrugs*

Except that Mospeada is owned by an entirely different company, so it's a pretty big jump in logic to assume Mospeada will see a live action project as well.

Yeah, though, concievably it could be done as a cash-in It'd be interesting to see Tat Pro and HG pool resources to get a Tokusatsu produced and then do some Disney/Saban style editing to make an english Robotech version.

I somehow doubt anything like that will happen.

Edited by lord_breetai

As Alan Moore said in The Ballad of Halo Jones, "Whatsamatter? Don't you LIKE girls?" :p

Me likey...

Just seems that most of the movie-going audience doesn't quite as much. For every "Underworld" you have, what, maybe 2 dozen action movies with male leads? I'd rather spend two hours staring at Kate Beckinsale than Bruce Willis, but I don't know if box office numbers back that up for most of the people buying movie tickets.

Ballad of Halo Jones... wow, I think I read that when I was about 10... been a long time.

Is there anything wrong with liking both? :p

Me likey...

Just seems that most of the movie-going audience doesn't quite as much. For every "Underworld" you have, what, maybe 2 dozen action movies with male leads? I'd rather spend two hours staring at Kate Beckinsale than Bruce Willis, but I don't know if box office numbers back that up for most of the people buying movie tickets.

Ballad of Halo Jones... wow, I think I read that when I was about 10... been a long time.

Actually, it might be due to the fact that there's a lot of girls who will let themselves get dragged to action movies just for the eye-candy of the male star. I know my Mom only wanted to see Crystal Skull because she thinks Harrison Ford is cute etc. Another good example is the convo in Densha Otoko where Hermes' friend as asking about Densha.

"Oh, he's like Tom Cruise, the last Samurai"

"Actually, he's Japanese"

"ah Watanabe Ken then?"

"he's not totally unlike him"

"oh so nothing alike then"

do we believe this girl went to see Last Samurai for for any other reason then hot guys? :lol:

So you loose on a potential market segment, guys will come for the action regaurdless of if there is bobbies or not. Some girls will too, but the straight girls out there who do not like explosions will want something else to entertain them while they are on dates with their boyfriends who do like explosions.

(the preceding post is a generalization, there are always exceptions but the marketing companies go for the generalizations).

Yeah, though, concievably it could be done as a cash-in It'd be interesting to see Tat Pro and HG pool resources to get a Tokusatsu produced and then do some Disney/Saban style editing to make an english Robotech version.

I somehow doubt anything like that will happen.

If they can't get the funding together to make a half-decent animated movie, they wouldn't be able to swing it for a live-action one.

That must be why T2 is my Mom's favorite movie along with Green Fried Tomatoes.

you mean Fried Green Tomatoes! Based on the book Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe (movie is a basterdization of the book, even if the screenplay was written by the author of the book.. the Ruth/Idgie Lesbian thing for example is way more realistically handled in the book, and skirted around in the movie).

you mean Fried Green Tomatoes! Based on the book Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe (movie is a basterdization of the book, even if the screenplay was written by the author of the book.. the Ruth/Idgie Lesbian thing for example is way more realistically handled in the book, and skirted around in the movie).

Yeah, let's totally discuss this in a thread about Bubblegum Crisis on an anime forum.

Yeah, let's totally discuss this in a thread about Bubblegum Crisis on an anime forum.

Sorry, just posting the correction here for all to see who might be interested. Sadly tangental conversation is a part of life, wether the internet gods like it or not.

But yes back to the Bubblegum Crisis, anime haircolors or natural for the actresses which would you prefer?

Sorry, just posting the correction here for all to see who might be interested. Sadly tangental conversation is a part of life, wether the internet gods like it or not.

But yes back to the Bubblegum Crisis, anime haircolors or natural for the actresses which would you prefer?

We can have a midpoint.

Char Anime Real

Silya Blue Grayish blue / Platinum blue / Black with blue reflections

Priss Brown Brown (no big deal)

Lina Black Black (no big deal)

Nene Pink Pink / Red

I guess it's not that bad with the main characters. ^_^

• 5 months later...

I'm glad that there are other countries involved in it, and not just a company out of Singapore, which made me nervous about it before. On the other hand, $30 million doesn't sound like much for a movie that will clearly require a TON of special effects. Also, while I've seen some excellent movies come out of Australia, I've seen some absolutely terrible Asian movie which were filmed in Australia...

I love the idea of a Live Action BGC movie, but so VERY often Anime, Manga & comics that get turned into films usually get ruined in the process. Hopefully the writers, producers & Director are die hard fans of the series and won't Frak it up!!