Telepathy in Macross

RedWolf

Telepathy it seems on Macross seems to be a science fact.

Macross 7 - The telepathic connection between Mylene and her pet Guvava. Guvava emotes the real emotions of Mylene. They could even sense each other.

Macross Dynamite 7 - Zolan girl Elma can understand what her snake is telling her. This is likely the case witrh the rest of her race.

Macross Zero - Sara and Mao seems to exhibit telepathy. Sara with the Birdman while Mao can mentally communicate with Shin.

Macross Plus - I'm not so sure with Myung though. How did she make Isamu listen to her song breaking Sharon's hypnotic hold?

Macross 7 - The telepathic connection between Mylene and her pet Guvava. Guvava emotes the real emotions of Mylene. They could even sense each other.

Macross Dynamite 7 - Zolan girl Elma can understand what her snake is telling her. This is likely the case witrh the rest of her race.

Macross Zero - Sara and Mao seems to exhibit telepathy. Sara with the Birdman while Mao can mentally communicate with Shin.

Macross Plus - I'm not so sure with Myung though. How did she make Isamu listen to her song breaking Sharon's hypnotic hold?

Well what about the Macross F "you are my wings" conversation? inb4 purely symbolic... Ranka even psychic slaps Sheryl. I don't think there's any other way to explain that but a meeting of the minds (through song energy?)

The "you are my wings" moment can be explained by a combination of the V-type infection and Alto wearing a fold quartz earring.

Then again, combine that with Gubaba's* link to Mylene, then it seems plausible that there are organisms in the Macross universe that are able to form telepathic bonds (then again, what is telepathy other than simply the capability to trigger the proper parts of the brain from a distance with your own brain). Indeed the v-type infection allowed both Sheryl and Ranka to gain a link to the Vajra swarm (as evidenced by the pain they felt when th Vajra blocked the queens shot to save Island 1, heck I think even Alto felt it somewhat).

As for Macross Plus, I always assumed that Sharon simply left a mic on in the room which allowed Myung's song to be broadcast to Isamu.

*the character not the forum poster

As for Macross Plus, I always assumed that Sharon simply left a mic on in the room which allowed Myung's song to be broadcast to Isamu.

Exactly my opinion on this matter. Myung listened to Isamu-Guld conversation just before Guld got gulded after all.

Edited by Macross007

Could it be more empathic than telepathic? Since Macross concentrates so much on the emotional message and power of music, I would think that the transmission/reception of emotions is more what is happening rather than telepathy. I know that's really a nitpick given the absurd unreality of the subject, but I think it may fit a little better in Macross. The events between Isamu and Myung in Macross Plus was an open radio communications channel, likely the same way Sharon Apple was transmitting herself.

even IRL there exists the possibility that empathy and telepathy exist - even in the human species. it may simply be that the brain has the hardware to act as a form of biological radio transceiver, but is by default set to the OFF state - think of the problems with intrusions that networked computers have, and you will understand why this would be so. the reason why it has not been quantified outside the CIA's remote viewing programs is that it probably works across an extremely wide range of frequencies, kind of like bluetooth (ultrawideband is the proper term), such that unless we know exactly the frequencies and encoding there really isn't anything coherent to detect.

Ive actually been thinking about this for years, and it seems an interesting idea for certain kinds of dream phenomena, deja vu, the ability of identical twins (or any pair of extremely close-knit individuals) to finish each other's sentences etc.

Guvava and Mylene shares a psychic link, maybe the same case like the Zolan girl and her snake.

How Isamu heard Myung voices wile he was in Trance? I just call it the power of love/music ^_^

Besides, music in Macross is the supernatural power, so far music in Macross Universe has done the following things:

- Culture shock

- Mind control

- Psychic link (via Fold Quartz and somehow the Bird Man are also capable of doing this)

- Make colorful rainbows

So music is the answer to everything supernatural, to quote Ramba Ral on this matter:

"Kore wa Newtype chikara janai! Newtype janai! Uta no chikara da!"

So music is the answer to everything supernatural, to quote Ramba Ral on this matter:

"Kore wa Newtype chikara janai! Newtype janai! Uta no chikara da!"

これはニュータイプ力じゃない!ニュータイプじゃない!歌のちからだ hmm... did Ramba Ral really say that? or did you make that up, I don't remember that at all.

これはニュータイプ力じゃない!ニュータイプじゃない!歌のちからだ hmm... did Ramba Ral really say that? or did you make that up, I don't remember that at all.

I make it up, why so serious? :lol:

I make it up, why so serious? :lol:

heh... the reason I typed out in Japanese is I was thinking if he said that there has to be some other meaning to uta I don't know, cause Ramba Ral wouldn't have said anything about 歌の力 so I looked it up, and there is no other meaning I could find lol (well there's poetry but that's still close enough). So I was like, is there some Japanese slang I don't know that it could have been besides 歌? lol... just wondering from a stand point of being student of the language if you were making some pun off something he said.

The question about Myung's song reaching Itsamu has always been on my mind. In general, I think it didn't reach Itsamu at all.

The song reached SHARON.

Sharon lost her power when Myung sang, and this included loosing her power over Itsamu.

The reason Sharon lost her power, is because in Myung's song she heard the true pure innocent heart of the spirit of human love - something that she, as an artificial program, could never have.

Pete

Could it be more empathic than telepathic? Since Macross concentrates so much on the emotional message and power of music, I would think that the transmission/reception of emotions is more what is happening rather than telepathy. I know that's really a nitpick given the absurd unreality of the subject, but I think it may fit a little better in Macross.

I think you are on to something as the emotion index was something Grace was often checking when studying Ranka. I think its more combined though, as in strong emotional connections lead to sympathetic fold waves. This appears to be able to create a telepresent state not unlike the cyberspace demonstrated in Macross F.

We do not understand to what degree Galaxy had mastered fold quartz, Frontier was getting the hang of its use for communications, travel, and weapons. If i were to guess galaxy had already mastered its use for communication and begun using it in beam weapons. For all we know they could have already mastered putting a human into cyberspace with no implants by using fold quartz based equipment. Hence Ranka being able to use the VF-27 cockpit and grace being able to manipulate Ranka when she was aboard Galaxy.

How Isamu heard Myung voices wile he was in Trance? I just call it the power of love/music ^_^

Duh... how can people even ask this question ? That's whole freaking thematic of Macross Plus : the power of the human soul/spirit over machines... symbolised both by Guld blowing away the Ghost (pointing how a AI fighter will never surclasse a human pilot), and indeed symbolised by Myung's song... pointing (as Isamu says it himself in the first episode), that a synthetised voice will never convecy the same thing as a real songstresse. That's why Myung's voice reaches him even though he is hypnotized by Sharon... because her voice simply breaks it.

Man VS Machine. That's all really.

-Sergorn

I don't think it was "left on" by Sharon's account. Sharon needed an open radio communication channel to infiltrate Isamu's YF-19; Myung just happened to be in the same room and sang away. It's no magical mystery.

The plot hole we should be questioning is why Isamu didn't turn off his radio when Sharon hacked in, especially since he was seen earlier piloting the YF-19 with EVERYTHING turned off :)

This is more simple empathy/cartoon show character quirk. I really wouldn't place too much emphasis on this.

Macross Dynamite 7 - Zolan girl Elma can understand what her snake is telling her. This is likely the case with the rest of her race.

I'm pretty certain it was mentioned in the Compendium or something (which, unfortunately, has had huge holes in it ever since the switch to a wiki format) as an evolutionary trait. So, sure.

Like every other quasi-mystical element in M0, Protoculture technology at work. Given the minor retcon going on, entirely possible that a protoculture fold quartz network is a part of it. Of course, the vajra do not have a monopoly on purple/red crystals, so it's entirely possible the fold quartz was added to Sheryl's earrings by Grace, and the "originals" seen in the new release of M0 are just pretty stones. That's a conversation for another thread, though.

Like everyone else said, a mic was left on in the room. This was illustrated pretty clearly in the show.

Well what about the Macross F "you are my wings" conversation? inb4 purely symbolic... Ranka even psychic slaps Sheryl. I don't think there's any other way to explain that but a meeting of the minds (through song energy?)

Vajra/fold quartz network very similar to what Grace and Galaxy anonymous was using the entire time. Nothing mystical about it, and nothing to do with song energy (which isn't as mystical a property as most seem to think it is).

Besides, music in Macross is the supernatural power, so far music in Macross Universe has done the following things:

- Culture shock

There's nothing magical or supernatural about culture shock.

- Mind control

Science-fictiony, sure, but not supernatural. Also, not simply music, I suspect. Sharon was also making use of visuals, taking over holographic displays all over the place.

- Psychic link (via Fold Quartz and somehow the Bird Man are also capable of doing this)
More science-fictiony than supernatural. See previous comments above.

- Make colorful rainbows

I'm convinced that if Macross 7 ever got the DYRL remake treatment, it would be sans the rainbow colour magic beams. I chalk these up to the series visual director, and place them in the same category as sparkles appearing around a pretty character in a shojo-anime. Not something to be taken literally. You never see this effect outside of M7 and The Galaxy is Calling Me, not even in Dynamite 7.