would bandai produce non-tranformable kits of Macross F valks?

regult

Ok, this is purely a hypothetical question, and I have no idea what's the business strategy of this company, but since we got all these fighter only plastic models for previous macross incarnations (mostly hasegawa & co.), would it be possible for bandai to produce sth like that but with some of the gunpla philosophy?

The current transformable kit is a feat of toy engineering, with amazing articulation and detail, but the transformation process is intrinsically a liability for a model (would not be for a well crafted toy!): decals and even paint will chip and fall, even the masterpieces shown in Hobby Japan November issue have already shown paint chipping issues (look closely), ABS joints still wear-down.

For example, a poseable battroid model requires less of those multi-functional articulations that transformation demands, and simpler builds would also mean lower prices and sturdier bodies. A non transformable fighter with all decals (or stickers) or correctly colored plastic would be a bliss to build, decorate and display.

I know, probably without the transformation feature, a valk would just not feel right, but the complexity of the shoulder/leg area in the VF-25 just makes it an impossible "perfect build (no gaps, no rubbing)"+transformation...at least not 1/72. Somebody suggested pre-painted kits a la Bandai Star Trek, I would love that, but since they realized that was not commercially sound, I am skeptical they go back to it. A PG-style treatment would also be nice, but still doubt the transformation feature would not mean seams, rubbing plastic and chipping decals/paint/stickers.

I would like some non-transforming kits, but at least with fighter mode I want them like the Hase kits: 1/72 scale kits that you glue and paint, no snap kits and no colored plastic please.

also nothing in 1/144 scale, those would be TINY. 1/72 is small enough as it is (I wish they just made everything in 1/48).

I suport the idea of a PG perfect transformation VF-25. if they ever did a pre-painted version it would probebly be that. it would probebly be 1/48th scale and hopefully it would have both super and armor parts bundled with it, though that might be a bit much to ask for.

Anything is possible. The key I think is to have the Frontier franchise last a while. Which means Kawamori and co. needs to exploit Frontier as much as and as long as possible (movies, sequels, side stories, manga, video games, etc.). The more it stays around, the more different products come out for it. As they say - out of sight, out of mind.

Anything is possible. The key I think is to have the Frontier franchise last a while. Which means Kawamori and co. needs to exploit Frontier as much as and as long as possible (movies, sequels, side stories, manga, video games, etc.). The more it stays around, the more different products come out for it. As they say - out of sight, out of mind.

Well, that brings me to the question: Why did they wait for the end of the TV series to start selling their model kits? OK, technically it was overlapping with the grand finale, but they could have come up with some gashapon sets as early as April/May when it started broadcasting?

I am not really familiar with how Japan's anime industry and sponsorship/merchandise/spin-off worked in recent years, so maybe the above is just common practice? if so, pardon my complete ignorance.

Back to the kits, I don't recall seeing any contemporary Bandai kit that is not snap-fit and colored plastic...a classic airplane kit a la Hasegawa from Gunpla-minded Bandai who has a monopoly on Frontier?? First, Yamato was out of the toy sector, I am not sure how this would affect Hasegawa et. al. in the model kits business.

I'd also like to know why they waited until the end to make these things...

Is it to get more financing for future seasons?...

maybe they used the series to see how popular it would be. Might also explain why the VF-25 kits ran out so quick. Maybe they tried a short run to test the waters. Judging how quick they went, I'd say it's a good sign we can expect much more product out of this line.

I would like some non-transforming kits, but at least with fighter mode I want them like the Hase kits: 1/72 scale kits that you glue and paint, no snap kits and no colored plastic please.

also nothing in 1/144 scale, those would be TINY. 1/72 is small enough as it is (I wish they just made everything in 1/48).

I suport the idea of a PG perfect transformation VF-25. if they ever did a pre-painted version it would probebly be that. it would probebly be 1/48th scale and hopefully it would have both super and armor parts bundled with it, though that might be a bit much to ask for.

My take on this is that a model or toy in a larger scale would be so expensive that i wonder if any company take the chance to make a whole line of mecha in that size. Yamato has tried but we can see they seemed to struggle since, we saw them milking over and over again the same valk with a different color schemes. Why in the end would they opt for a smaller valks??.

I wonder if probably the reason for this is cost effectiveness on materials... or May be they realized that Japanese have very limited living space and in the long run they would find out buyers would not fit them on their apartments making production very limited??.

I can only imagine how expensive and big would a 1/48 armored VF-25 would be...?

Edited by 007-vf1

My take on this is that a model or toy in a larger scale would be so expensive that i wonder if any company take the chance to make a whole line of mecha in that size. Yamato has tried but we can see they seemed to struggle since, we saw them milking over and over again the same valk with a different color schemes. Why in the end would they opt for a smaller valks??.

I wonder if probably the reason for this is cost effectiveness on materials... or May be they realized that Japanese have very limited living space and in the long run they would find out buyers would not fit them on their apartments making production very limited??.

I can only imagine how expensive and big would a 1/48 armored VF-25 would be...?

I live in an apartment in Canada and I have virtually no room to model... my kitchen table has been sacrificed to the modelling gods... and now that winter's approaching, i can't spray paint or airbrush outside... I need to invest in a spray booth... I have very limited space to display my models, but my Hasegawa Valks are proudly on display. 1/72 is just fine for me. I'm really looking forward to the future releases from the line... I want one of everything... but I want the armoured, ultra-bad ass versions... eventually i may pick up some clean versions... but if the Super-packs and Armour-packs are removable, or can be modified to be removable, all the better!

it's mostly the "Japanese have no space" that does it, which sucks for me because I live in America and have room for larger stuff, but said larger stuff does not exist.

I figure a 1/48 VF-25 model without armor would cost as much as a PG kit, so maybe around $150? with super parts, more like $200, and I don't even know about armor parts. (personally I'd be fine with the cheaper valk only kit since I think the super/armor parts look like ass)

the thing that bothers me more than not making stuff in a larger size like 1/48 is that they make things in 1/60. valks and PG gundams are the only things I can think of that come in 1/60 scale, so they don't match with anything I own (I mostly build 1/48 and 1/72 aircraft models, though I prefer the 1/48)

Apparently we're all quite understanding *edit "condescending" of the market in Japan, of Bandai...and some like myself are venting personal desires.

Many hard-core airplane model builders may feel the pain when looking at the completed snap-fit Alto, the gaps are inevitable, and making it non-transformable is a waste of all it's internal mechanics. Not holding my breath for a Hasegawa Fighter-only VF-25, but sure would like to see it, and being a diecast aircraft collector, I'd love to have it pre-painted from the factory and with 90% metal content, but that is impossible...

I would love to buy more of the merchandise, but only the solid archive crappy gashapon arrives here, I'd love to have 3 Alto kits if I could (I can afford that, versus a fugly 1/60 DX worth 3 times the kit). Transformation is a feature, but I prefer to see at all 3 modes at the same time instead of only 1 at the time, and risking breakage with every transformation. As somebody else said "a model is not a toy".

Personally I don't understand why so many are crazy about armored and super packs, I like the clean looks of the VF-25, and also seriously question the ability of a super-packed Alto to stand on it's own feet or even on the shiny SMS stand. Ozma barely lost his armor throughout 25 episodes, so I guess he should always come with the whole deal, but hmm...then why bother taking it away like what we're going to get in November? (milking the mold). I honestly also doubt the announced packs should be detachable...more rubbing and scratching?!?

I will just keep dreaming about a perfect transformation PG...maybe some day, maybe in 2059?

Edited by regult

History repeats itself. Bandai made quite a few valks for Macross 7 and that wasn't exactly everyone's favorite series. They did the 1/100 -19's and -17 in transforming kits. Then there were the 1/144 kits (doubles) too. Then there were all those aftermarket kits too (don't forget them). Destroids always sell well, so I would say "yes" unless the credit crisis and Bandai's marketing staff think "No."

Parker - paint outside and bring your models inside right away! I had the opposite problem with humidity where I lived. Paint it outside, bring it in quickly and let it dry in a closet or little used room. You can put parts in a covered container to insulate and keep dust off while moving it back and forth. - MT