1/72 Commanchero gunship

captain america

Hi guys!

Sorry for not posting more frequently, I've been working on the molds, which are now done and casting has begun in full force. The only slight delay is caused by the waiting for the special tooling resin I need to do the vac-forming bucks, and I should have that by next Friday.

In the meantime, I'll just be casting my tiny brains out.

Also, I took some photos of the masters just before pouring the mold rubber. Honestly, due to the large number of tiny parts and multi-cavitied parts, this goes on record as being one of the most challenging kits I had to cast in recent memory. The first photo in the series is of the mold boxes awaiting the arrival of the mold rubber.

Next, these are some of the first castings to come out of said molds. Everything came out great, save for a few voids that formed on the inside of the cockpits of the fwd fuselage (see pics 3 & 4.) Not the end of the world, but it means a little extra dremelling <_<

The rest of the parts came out looking very splendid indeed, and all the rivet detail has been faithfully captured.

Now to start on the instructions!

post-632-1227297284_thumb.jpg

post-632-1227297292_thumb.jpg

post-632-1227297300_thumb.jpg

post-632-1227297309_thumb.jpg

post-632-1227297320_thumb.jpg

post-632-1227297329_thumb.jpg

post-632-1227297337_thumb.jpg

Looks great! Are there any reinforcements in the main rotors? I know thin resin will sag, although a little is alright in non-rigid rotor airframes like this. I'll contact you soon for payment. - MT

Hi guys!

Yes I'm still alive. I've been quite busy trying to work the bugs out of my new vac-forming system, as the rig I was using for the previous projects was just too small and rudimentary, and so I wanted to take a tiny step up to something more durable. To that end, I constructed a new box with heavier plywood. Still very crude, mind you, but much sturdier and more practical.

Also, during previous projects, I learned that regular resin isn't quite up to the task of handling the heat and pressure of vaccuum-forming plastic, so I ordered some hi-temp aluminium-filled polymer specially designed for vac-forming. Aside from arriving 2 days late, the material is also ungodly slow to cure --16 hours, and then about 4 hours of post-curing in the oven to fully harden it. Basically, this is what has been slowing me down more than anything, because casting-wise, well.... See for yourselves ^_^

Barring any unforseen natural disasters ('tis the season!!) I should be shipping the first models next week; labels are printed, kits are cast and boxes are ready. Thank you all for your patience :)

post-632-1228238902_thumb.jpg

post-632-1228238915_thumb.jpg

post-632-1228238927_thumb.jpg

Although I was really up for one I have to bow out due to being made redundant on Monday. Working in I.T/media as I do I'm not sure if I will be employed anytime soon. Thanks News Corp International for messing up my Christmas and my hobbies. Wouldn't mind so much if it was down to money but its all about share price. Not that Im sad too much i now have time and enough supplies to at least do a couple of my Moscato kits.

If I'm back in the running before the production ends then I will be sending my cash right over.

LOL I know a bloke that gets all his goodies delivered to a mates address for just this reason. Don't let em fool ya - they dip in for little presents for themselves :)

And besides is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Edited by Berttt

Hi guys.

I just spent the weekend re-tooling the canopy masters; it seems that undercuts on vacuum-formed parts are very much a no-no :unsure:

Anyway, these models WILL be completed and shipped even if I have to hire Santa and his little leprechaun followers to make the canopies around the clock! In a nutshell, I had to remove absolutely all undercuts on the canopy masters, re-polish, and re-mold them, and then start producing some new bucks to vacuum-form off of. Anyway, no worries, things are finally in the clear now that I got that major problem taken care of. I'll be working as fast as I can to get th kits completed and shipped, so just PM if you need me. Don't be surprised if my answers are a little weird though, I'm running on NO sleep these days :wacko:^_^

Hi guys.

Just wanted to give everyone an update to say that things are back on track production-wise. I did some initial tests for the canopies and they come out looking excellent! Now it's just a matter of time getting them back from the subcontractor. For future projects, I will be investing in a proper vacuum forming machine, so any such delays will be a thing of the past.

As for the kit itself, I will let the pictures do all the talking.

I still have about 10 kits available, so if you want a Commanchero, now is definitely the time ^_^

post-632-1229194325_thumb.jpg

post-632-1229194348_thumb.jpg

post-632-1229194373_thumb.jpg

post-632-1229194398_thumb.jpg

:D wwwwwwooooooSMURFINhhhhhhhoooooo!!!!

OK John, will we get them before Christmas??

The model looks awesome. Cannot wait to get this gunship in hand.

Great work.

Evil

Sadly, I think getting them out before Christmas is a strech given the turnaround time necessary to get the canopies done. I prefer that the work be done properly than be compromised in favor of a fixed due date. Everything else is pretty much done though; by this time tomorrow, all orders will be packed and awaiting canopies before I seal up the boxes and expedite.

The one good thing that comes out of this delay is that now I FINALLY have some time to sit down with a gallon of egg-nog and relax! :lol: