Are movie audiences ready?

flabortast

and also, adding a bit to the early discussion, I don't have anything against the US, but I HATE how they inisitently call themself 'Americans' last time I check, America was a continent with numerous countries and the US is not even the biggest of them

We called it. 'Dibs' (just in case) :D Now that makes me wonder just when that was started and by who.

I don't think the majority of the US audience would appreciate a final battle resolution with music, mostly cause people will be missled by trailer that macross will be a war junkie dream, big explosion and stuff and people will go expecting a senseless action movie and in the end will not enjoy macross for what it really is

and also, adding a bit to the early discussion, I don't have anything against the US, but I HATE how they inisitently call themself 'Americans' last time I check, America was a continent with numerous countries and the US is not even the biggest of them

We have "America" in our country's name... United States of AMERICA... What should we call ourselves? Unitedstatesofamericans? Unitedstatesians?

And while we may not be the biggest in terms of size, we more than make up for the difference in how much we consume. :p

And the final resolution of macross still has plenty of things exploding. It's not like everyone sat in a big circle by the camp fire and sang songs... there was one person singing and lots of people blowing the crap out of each other.

Besides, how is that so different from a show like The Incredibles where the big climactic fight happened while a family worked out their personal issues and reconciled their differences?

Edited by eugimon

Good for you, now go post that someplace else, cause that shite doesn't belong here. This is a forum about anime.

I have a question about the topic, are we talking about a movie made in Japan or one made by Hollywood? Because if we are talking about a Macross movie made in the US just give it Michael Bay and he'll put enough explosions to make anyone (maybe even Duke?) happy.

I have a question about the topic, are we talking about a movie made in Japan or one made by Hollywood? Because if we are talking about a Macross movie made in the US just give it Michael Bay and he'll put enough explosions to make anyone (maybe even Duke?) happy.

and yet it wouldn't be Macross

1) Politics-like yapping needs to stop. NOW. Human, American, Turd blossom. I really don't care what nationality you call yourself. Just post it anywhere else besides this website.

2) I'm gonna agree with hobbes221. What context are we talking about? Are we talking about a Japanese production being adapted for a Hollywood audience or a Hollywood production made for a Hollywood audience? Cuz the latter is being made into a live-action Robotech (we have a thread for that already).

My fellow Earthicans....

180px-Earth_Flag.svg.png

180px-Futurama_nixons_head.png

Would US audiences easily accept something where song defeats war? Depends on how it was shilled.

If it was a 'musical' starring Celine Dion or some other twit....

Miley Cyrus as Minmei? Rhianna as Sheryl? It could happen.

It would suck. It would probably not bomb.

A direct to live action transcription of DYRL?

It would not suck. It would probably bomb.

Are people open to things they are not familiar with? Very few of them are... of any nationality.

Ever try getting a normal kid under 25 to watch an old B&W movie?

Not a prayer- unless they have already been watching them.

EDIT: Original image got moofed.

Edited by daeudi

It's entirely possible to present the concept of cultural exchange ending war without featuring a teen pop star singing and dancing on the bridge of a spaceship.

that's the core of Macross right? Relationships and culture overcoming apparent divides and hostilities? I think it's possible to hold on to that core theme without alienating the non anime viewing audience with a big sing along at the end.

My fellow Earthicans....225px-Old_Freebie.jpg

now that was funny, specially due to the doctor doom avatar.

Would US audiences easily accept something where song defeats war? Depends on how it was shilled.

If it was a 'musical' starring Celine Dion or some other twit....

Miley Cyrus as Minmei? Rhianna as Sheryl? It could happen.

It would suck. It would probably not bomb.

A direct to live action transcription of DYRL?

It would not suck. It would probably bomb.

Are people open to things they are not familiar with? Very few of them are... of any nationality.

Ever try getting a normal kid under 25 to watch an old B&W movie?

Not a prayer- unless they have already been watching them.

I agree with your points

We already have a Macross made for Movie theatre audiences, it was released in Japan under the title Macross: Do you remember love.

It's entirely possible to present the concept of cultural exchange ending war without featuring a teen pop star singing and dancing on the bridge of a spaceship.

then it wouldn't be Macross.

then it wouldn't be Macross.

Why is that? Plus and Zero illustrated pretty well how you can take the core concepts of Macross and tell a more mature story without the teenie bopper idol.

A live action movie would have to be an adaptation you could change the interpretation of concepts without abandoning the concept itself.

Why is that? Plus and Zero illustrated pretty well how you can take the core concepts of Macross and tell a more mature story without the teenie bopper idol.

A live action movie would have to be an adaptation you could change the interpretation of concepts without abandoning the concept itself.

====

I'm going to have to stop you there... you seem to have missed the original post...

Are Hollywood audiences ready for a sci-fi epic space war movie that involves resolution through understanding/peace and singing like Macross? Would people reject the idea of a song stopping war? How would audiences react?

And also... I did not restrict myself to teeny boppers...

I can already hear that french canadian drone....

"My ship will fight on..."

==============================

now that was funny, specially due to the doctor doom avatar.

All Doom ever wanted to was to unite the world, to make the world a better place.

United under his rule, emphasis on make

Edited by daeudi

====

I'm going to have to stop you there... you seem to have missed the original post...

And also... I did not restrict myself to teeny boppers...

I can already hear that french canadian drone....

"My ship will fight on..."

Are Holywood audiences ready for a sci-fi epic space war movie that involves resolution through understanding/peace and singing like Macross? Would people reject the idea of song stopping war? How would audiences react?

I don't see the part about making a shot by shot remake of DYRL in a live action format. You can still play with those themes without having celine dion crooning over people shooting themselves.

Edited by eugimon

Neither do I.

But I was expanding beyond the OP, not ignoring it.

A SONG stopping a war.

Who's ignoring what? Did you actually read what I wrote or just read in what you wanted? Yes, song ending the war... but that doesn't mean you have to LITERALLY have someone singing during the battle, does it?

Watch DYRL again... they didn't stop fighting because minmei was singing. They stopped fighting because the song that was found re-awakened their dormant sense of culture and they wanted to reclaim that. Why does that concept have to have a 16 year old singing on the bridge of a warship?

As Duke has already pointed out, it wasn't until M7 where this idea got turned into some sort of psychic energy magic attack. In DYRL there was a very real and non mystical explanation for why and how the song affected the zentradi.

I'm a film buff. Some people call me an elitist, which is probably right. One thing I an guarantee you, nothing Michael Bay will ever do will make me happy. He is everything that is wrong with the industry right now.

I'm a film buff. Some people call me an elitist, which is probably right. One thing I an guarantee you, nothing Michael Bay will ever do will make me happy. He is everything that is wrong with the industry right now.

I was just joking, from what I've seen of your other posts I kinda figured that this would be your reply.

We should just call ourselves "earthians" since honestly, we're the only country that matters. :p

LMAO!

Hypothetically if James Cameron were to helm a SDF: Macross project I think it would have the proper attention to detail as well as the best chance of keeping faithfull to the source material. If that were to happen it would be a total BO sucess. The story has very adult themes and by BO trends war movies aren't very popular these days. But a space opera with themes of love and cultures breaking barriers might just be what the doctor ordered. It could make Titanic $$$ if done right.

As far as my countries image outside the states is concerned, it's unfortunate we are lumped up by our lowest common denominator, but if that's the way we're seen, that's a shame.

A song won the war, but most audiences won't open themselves up to that. I'm sure most of the audience wouldn't even know about psychological warfare extending beyond a "shock and awe" campaign. Such tactics have occurred under different forms. Although I think an airing of the most famous love scene in the middle of a fight with some music in the background of that would better suit the culture-shock method and have higher chances of approval than just some idol on a stage singing.

Most of the Macross stories have finished with a healthy dose of ammunition and memorable battles. The spin is that culture/music/understanding and courage/fighting/firepower go hand in hand in the Macross finales. SDF Macross, DYRL, Macross Plus, and Macross Frontier are all like this. The love/understanding helped achieve victory, as did will/strength of arms, but the message is that neither facet of humanity can succeed without the other. Which makes sense since that was the unique building blocks of the original Macross. War drama with heart, spirit with temperance, bravery with intellect, reason with belief...almost Sun Tzu like in it's message.

The only exceptions so far have been Macross Zero and Macross 7, where the cultural/musical aspect of the series ruled the plot to such a degree that the courage/fighting/firepower aspect was excluded in the final analysis. Will/strength of arms could not achieve victory alone, but in these two cases culture/music/understanding could achieve victory to the exclusion of anything else. That's probably why M0 and M7 are the two weakest Macross productions; they are "war dramas" that sadly turn conceptually cannibalistic. :(

As far as North American audiences are concerned, a big budget, live action Macross-esque space war drama would have to definitely be realistically militaristic and would definitely have to remain very grounded, avoiding melodrama and grand camp. Personally, I don't think it would fly because Macross, like most anime, is served with a high dose of theatrical drama and ham-fisted cheese. These things work in anime because a) its made to be somewhat idealistic/simplistic and b) animation by default is a medium totally removed from reality. Theatricality and over the top absurdity work so well in anime because animation is already inherently unreal. In live action, get too unreal and it's like breaking the fourth wall.

I'm just trying to imagine how the music would possibly be taken seriously. You'd need Judi Dench singing Radiohead, which would cause all of reality to annihilate itself :)

Edited by Mr March

This whole "peace and love in Macross" nonsense is very post-Macross 7...

Psy-ops is real... Our troops currently blast music at their cultureless blindly-religious enemies to force confusion.

An American audience can understand this.

Now M7 song power, and or peace and complete understanding as a result of hearing a song is, dumber than dog-sh!t. So, no.. An American audience would not accept this in any way because its just stupid. In case you are confused, I reject this too.