Gundam Plamodel Thread III

You might at least want to get a flush cutting wire nipper though

What's that?

And a X-acto knife.

Is that the really really sharp thin knife that you slide out from the blade holder? I have one of those - but what would I use it for?

While we're on the subject - I have a question about those...er...decals? Marking things? The stickers are easy enough to understand - peal them off and stick them on the model.

But what about the card with the writing and stuff on it? How do I use those things and get them on the Gundam? When I touched the ones for my Unicorn - they started to fall apart.

What are they and how do I use them? :)

Pete

What's that?

You know - a nipper. Something like this: Amazon link

Is that the really really sharp thin knife that you slide out from the blade holder? I have one of those - but what would I use it for?

X-Acto knife : Amazon link

Basically used to slice-off those last little bits of plastic left on a piece to make that area flat.

While we're on the subject - I have a question about those...er...decals? Marking things? The stickers are easy enough to understand - peal them off and stick them on the model.

But what about the card with the writing and stuff on it? How do I use those things and get them on the Gundam? When I touched the ones for my Unicorn - they started to fall apart.

What are they and how do I use them? :)

Those are dry-transfer decals. Basically what you do is cut the decal piece you want, lay it on the plastic piece you want the decal to go on (you might want to tape it onto the plastic so it wont move), then rub the top of the decal with a coin or something. The decal should transfer onto the plastic.

These dry transfer decals easily flake/rub off so unless you're planning on spraying your kit with some kind of coating, I'd leave em in the box.

Edited by Vifam7

I admit that for the longest time I used a non-standard clipper too (though not nail clipper :) ), that is until I upgraded to a dedicated modeling toolkit. I use the Tamiya Basic Tool Kit, it covers pretty much 90% of the tools needed to build stuff. It has an excellent nipper with rubbery insulated grip, a micro-knife (though x-acto's are slightly better imo), a tweezer, two screwdrivers, and a file which can be used to sand small areas. I highly recommend getting one, you'll notice an immediate jump in the quality of your plastic models.

Basic Tool Kit

VFTF1, I've been wanting to delve into the crazy world of SEED too, so let me know how those models turn out XD.

Those are dry-transfer decals. Basically what you do is cut the decal piece you want, lay it on the plastic piece you want the decal to go on (you might want to tape it onto the plastic so it wont move), then rub the top of the decal with a coin or something. The decal should transfer onto the plastic.

These dry transfer decals easily flake/rub off so unless you're planning on spraying your kit with some kind of coating, I'd leave em in the box.

I hate those with a passion too. Unless I know it's going to go on a piece of plastic that I'm absolutely sure I'm not going to paint, I just ignore them. Quick tip, if you are going to use them, make sure that silk film is behind the decal at all times - even when you're not using them. Otherwise the slightest contact between the dry-transfer and any surface will ruin the decal.

Ahh MG Gundam F91, to date one of my worst build up experiences. I had the internal mechanism on one of the VSRBs break in half, one of those guidance thingies on the tip of the beam launcher break and worst of all one of the shoulder fins connecting clip break. I don't know if it was the kit or a fluke of incompetence on my behalf at the time, but it took a lot of enjoyment away from me. sleep.gif

@Ghost Train

Your painting looks crisp and clean, good job. Paint scheme looks a bit awkward to me personally.

The kit itself was far from perfect. I had my share of issues with it. I noticed some parts just didn't fit tightly enough, so I found myself actually using more cement than usual to keep the final build together. And regarding the colors... awkward people like to paint awkwardly :p. I always thought the F-91 looked too sporty to have the traditional Gundam white/red/blue so I decided to get a bit creative, though I didn't get 100% of what I was aiming for. On that note if you want to see another one of my unorthodox paint schemes wait until I finish my VF-25... eyes will bleed XD (mostly the accuracy Nazis who around MWF).

Edited by Ghost Train

Thanks for the advise guys. Will pick up the basic tool set at some point this year.

As for painting Gundams - also something I haven't done yet - I imagine that spray painting en mass is the quickest and best way? Not that I'm thinking of doing it - yet - but maybe one day...

I have found - as I am now working on my eighth Gundam model - that modeling is EXTREMELY SOOTHING - it is something which totally helps me deal with stress and teaches me to be patient. I suddenly started looking at lots of day-to-day problems as if they were Gundam models: you learn how to see the road to the end, and how to be patient as you have to take this windy road. This really helps.

So, I figure that maybe if I expand one day into painting and being a better modeler, then maybe I will feel even better :)

Pete

Thanks for the advise guys. Will pick up the basic tool set at some point this year.

As for painting Gundams - also something I haven't done yet - I imagine that spray painting en mass is the quickest and best way? Not that I'm thinking of doing it - yet - but maybe one day...

I tried that myself and failed bigtime. Completely ruined my HG Murasame kit. I'd say start small. Like handbrush painting little places here and there to accentuate certain parts. For example, on my MG Zaku 2.0 the only thing I painted was the backpack thruster nozzles and the monoeye.

I have found - as I am now working on my eighth Gundam model - that modeling is EXTREMELY SOOTHING - it is something which totally helps me deal with stress and teaches me to be patient. I suddenly started looking at lots of day-to-day problems as if they were Gundam models: you learn how to see the road to the end, and how to be patient as you have to take this windy road. This really helps.

Path to happiness and contentment via Gunpla. Sgt. Keroro approves. :D

20060827182221.jpg

So, I figure that maybe if I expand one day into painting and being a better modeler, then maybe I will feel even better :)

Pete

I think you have the idea right about painting, some sort of assembly-line painting where you work on all the parts that are going to be of a certain color in 1 session is the most efficient way to go about it. Sometimes I just take a look at the assembly guide before I do anything at all to think about how to most efficiently divide up the work.

Painting for me was when this hobby finally started to be slightly expensive. The up-front cost of a nice airbrush, compressor (though because of noise I still use air-cans :p), and all the paints, primers, and miscellaneous supplies can be slightly overwhelming for a graduate student with only a part time job. However, it's also the most interesting part of the whole experience in my opinion, at some point it becomes almost as much science as it is hobby.

So I used to have the ole Gundam Wing and Endless Waltz 1/100 models which were cool, but recently after watching Gundam 00 I purchased a Kyrios and Exia. I have the Kyrios and I am still waiting on Exia. OMG, these newer models with better joints are great, I can make the most dynamic poses and everything holds well without flopping around. My next purchase will be Dynames.

OMG, these newer models with better joints are great

Yep. I'm amazed at my WIP Force Impulse Gundam. The Endless Waltz Gundam Wing isn't all that bad. The only sore spot is getting him to actually hold his beam rifle(s). The wings are actually not all that floppy - although I guess they do tend to sag unless you really make sure the joints are fitted in tightly.

Unicorn Gundam is the worse offender. Built to fall apart he happily shoes off this ability every chance he gets...

But yeah... the HG 00 Gundams are like little toy figures - not models at all. Very tight and well put together. Same with Force Impulse.

Pete

Unicorn Gundam is the worse offender. Built to fall apart he happily shoes off this ability every chance he gets...

Did you get a bootleg or something because my Unicorn is rock hard solid. It was my latest MG kit and i was so impressed by how "solid" it felt and how all the joints were so tight.

My only problems with it was the extremely fragile V-fins which I DO NOT RECOMMEND you to transform it or even touch it much as well as the legs' lack of poseability that doesn't allow a crouch (most Gunpla these days allow the crouch pose). The legs just needed a small tiny mod/redesign to allow the crouch.

Preliminary info abound from the March Hobby Mags via Ngee Khiong and others:

Sketchy information of new Gunplas from Hobby Japan March Issue:

- 1/100 Seravee - March release

- HG 1/144 Sergei's Tieren Taozi - February release

- HG 1/144 Garazzo - March release

- 1/100 Astray Green - March release

- 1/100 アリオス (?) - February release

- MG The O (MG ジ・O not confirmed)

Could The O actually be making an appearance after all these years?

??? PMX-003 The O (?/200?) – 2002 Shizuoka Hobby Show.

Did you get a bootleg or something because my Unicorn is rock hard solid. It was my latest MG kit and i was so impressed by how "solid" it felt and how all the joints were so tight.

The joints on mine are fine.

It's just that the legs and arms and head are made to seperate from the main body for the transformation... and sometimes they like to seperate without me wanting them to seperate...

Albeit - maybe I'm missing something and I have to "lock" them into place or something?

Your legs don't tend to fall off the waiste?

Definitely not a bootleg.

Pete

It's just that the legs and arms and head are made to seperate from the main body for the transformation... and sometimes they like to seperate without me wanting them to seperate...

Albeit - maybe I'm missing something and I have to "lock" them into place or something?

Pete

Legs falling off the waist was a problem I thought I had with my Zaku 2.0. However, after looking at photos of builds by other people, I realized that the leg peg(s) that connect to the crotch/waist go much further in than I thought possible. It took a little bit of strength and a leg angle different from what the directions show to get it all the way in. I don't know anything about the build of the Unicorn but I was wondering if you might have a similar situation.

Legs falling off the waist was a problem I thought I had with my Zaku 2.0. However, after looking at photos of builds by other people, I realized that the leg peg(s) that connect to the crotch/waist go much further in than I thought possible. It took a little bit of strength and a leg angle different from what the directions show to get it all the way in. I don't know anything about the build of the Unicorn but I was wondering if you might have a similar situation.

You're right on the Zaku... I finished snapping mine the other day, and then went to break it down for painting... I couldn't get the legs back off they were so tight! The lateral swivel piece separated from the hip 'top' before the main joint came out.

Ouch indeed.

I was at a hobby store today, they had a lot of the 1/144 Gundam 00 kits.......any of those good? I almost bought an EnAct and one of those A-Law suits.

From what I've heard they're fairly decent - more articulated, detailed, and higher quality than the old HG-UC line... I only own the Seravee and I feel it's a definite improvement in that scale class.

From what I've heard they're fairly decent - more articulated, detailed, and higher quality than the old HG-UC line... I only own the Seravee and I feel it's a definite improvement in that scale class.

I have a few of the HG 00 line kits - and so far after building Virtue, Exia and Dynames - I think they're good, solid kits.

Pete

Pete

Nope....its pretty hard for the legs to seperate from the torso without force since the pegs are angled upwards.

20rjn8l.jpg

Yay. Finally "finished" - well - sort of. Still have to build the Force Silloquette. And dag nab it - still have to check my Unicorn via Wolfx's advise and fasten those legs securely in :)

Anyways - I like the Force Impulse. The legs are a real treat - but then again, is there a Gundam alive (except for the 00 Gundams) which don't have some nifty leg mechanics going for them?

In any event - good stuff :)

Pete

Thanks to Wolfix and all y'all for the tips on Unicorn! I checked him - and yeah - I wasn't locking the arms in to the main body, and I guess the same with the legs. For instance - with the legs, only now do I think I know that they are fastened, because the mechanism in his croch which allows the legs to "swing" a bit to the sides without actually moving the joint actually works now. Needless to say, this is still a minor pain in the butt, because technically the instructions advise taking the limbs off to transform him. Do you guys do that? Or do you transform him with the limbs on? In any case...

29ghn5f.jpg

Pete

Sorry for the double post, but I just finished my Force Silloquette and it is sweeet :) The whole Force Impulse Gundam is amazing - mainly because of the COLORS. This thing is unpainted - and I honestly see no reason to paint it. I mean - these colors look alive! And the panels are really well done too - the whole thing looks very vibrant. Bandai has definitely progressed with the MG line from kits of earlier years:

jkiser.jpg

ajrzbc.jpg

Pete

I see sprue marks... if you're gonna snap, we've GOTTA get you some tools dude :p With some sandpaper and maybe some Gundam markers and dullcote, you could take your gunplas from snapped out of the box to snapped and looking like finished kits. Check out DannyChoo's article on paintless gunpla-ing... I think you'd really enjoy the tutorials Hobby Japan puts up whenever a new MG-type kit comes out on how to get it looking great with the least amount of work.

Check out DannyChoo's article on paintless gunpla-ing...

Where can I read this? :)

As for tools - I agree - must get myself some tools. Will check around locally next time I'm in town to see if I can get SOMETHING to use for modeling. :)

Excaliber also completed :) Very cool Gundam :)

Pete

Where can I read this? :)

As for tools - I agree - must get myself some tools. Will check around locally next time I'm in town to see if I can get SOMETHING to use for modeling. :)

Excaliber also completed :) Very cool Gundam :)

Pete

I need to get off my ass and starting building my kits.

Here's what I recommend as bare minimum in terms of tools -

- a nipper (can be found in any hardware store)

31NSWg2av4L._SS500_.jpg

- artist's knife or Xacto knife (can be found in any art store)

21BJFQXHAPL._SS500_.jpg

- nail filing/buffing stick (can be found at any drug store)

Nail%20File%20Black.jpg

- Tamiya extra thin cement (can be found at any hobby store)

tam87038.jpg

Thank you. That is a wonderful tutorial. Hopefully, I will slowly begin to use these methods. However, I have just now pretty much gotten accustomed to building the kits. I remember building my first Gundam - Wing Zero - and snapping the yellow crown horn thing :( ... My Turn-A Gundam has a broken bit on his gun... I still have to finish building my Crossbone's "Full Cloth" unit... My Unicorn is a mess in terms of stickers.

I won't fool myself into thinking that my Gundams are going to start looking THAT pretty any time soon.

In fact - knowing myself - I imagine that I will become EXTREMELY serious about modeling my 1/72 Macross Frontier models.

Those things I plan to make look adorable and will likely even try to paint them and make them look fab.

Gundams - well - I'm learning.

As for the tools - thanks Vifam7 for the list.

Problem is - I have no clue where to look for these in Poland. I don't even know what they're called in Polish and I don't remember if there are any hardware stores here. Next time I'm in the city, I'll look for this stuff.

Although I think I actually have most of it in my basement. I just don't have a lot of time to spend on looking around...

But eventually, I will get more organized.

Hey - at least I'm BUILDING the darned things ;)

Pete

In fact - knowing myself - I imagine that I will become EXTREMELY serious about modeling my 1/72 Macross Frontier models.

Those things I plan to make look adorable and will likely even try to paint them and make them look fab.

Pete

On that note, I would advise that the VF-25 not be the first kit that you try to paint :p. Get lots of practice on cheaper simpler kits (HG's will do) before attempting to paint either of the VF-25's. All of the kit's moving parts needed for the perfect transformation make painting it quite a challenge.