POLL: Dub or Sub?

miriya

Dub or Sub?  

113 members have voted

1. 1. If you have to choose one, DUB OR SUB?

• Subtitles.
    • Dub.

Subs. It seems that a lot is often lost in trying to make translations match the 'lip-flaps' in dubbed anime. In subs, there's no pressure to synch translated dialogue with what is seen on screen, so there's less chance of compromises being made on translations. I don't know if it's the fault of the actors, translators, or ADR directors, but dubs often come across to me as sounding stiff, unnatural, or just plain corny.

There are a few exceptions, of course- I love the Cowboy Bebop dub, as well as the dub for Eva.

But for the most part, Subs is where it's at.

Subs. Most dubs sound horrible, regardless of whether or not you've heard the original voices. There's also the thing when the music is changed. Although the only series I liked the new music with was Orguss 02. The rest, bleaugh. The Vision of Escaflowne shown on Fox is a particularly good example of bad dubbing and music butchery.

I must have the ability to take off the subtitles though. I hate DVDs that have hard subtitles that are permanently there. *cough-cough Macross Plus Movie Edition cough-cough*

Subs. Most dubs sound horrible, regardless of whether or not you've heard the original voices. There's also the thing when the music is changed. Although the only series I liked the new music with was Orguss 02. The rest, bleaugh. The Vision of Escaflowne shown on Fox is a particularly good example of bad dubbing and music butchery.

I must have the ability to take off the subtitles though. I hate DVDs that have hard subtitles that are permanently there. *cough-cough Macross Plus Movie Edition cough-cough*

Escaflowne on fox also did some creative editing... when I saw it on Fox I thought it was a crap show, it wasn't until I saw the original Japanese edit that I realized how good it was.

Escaflowne on fox also did some creative editing... when I saw it on Fox I thought it was a crap show, it wasn't until I saw the original Japanese edit that I realized how good it was.

Fox should not be allowed in the discussion. It's their hobby to destroy any good show they get.

WOAH WOAH WOAH. Don't go dissing Amelie!

I am not sure if you are being serious or not. That movie was a snore for me. I need tits, explosions, and knife wounds to keep my attention.

And I was speaking just for myself, not as a mod. (though this thread has been closely watched by all of us since the first post--threads like this never end well)

well, I figured this thread was being watched, since this discussion has never ended well... so that's why I was asking. :lol:

And I was speaking just for myself, not as a mod. (though this thread has been closely watched by all of us since the first post--threads like this never end well)

I dunno, this all seems pretty tame to me. I'm surprised it hasn't degenerated into a DYRL? dub quote fest.

I dunno, this all seems pretty tame to me. I'm surprised it hasn't degenerated into a DYRL? dub quote fest.

true. it's like all the fire and passion have gone from this site. ^_^ Of course, now that we have started discussing the manner in which we are discussing the discussion instead of the discussion itself, it seems a pretty good indication that this thread is fast approaching its predestined death.

Quick, somebody say something relevent! :huh:

true. it's like all the fire and passion have gone from this site. ^_^ Of course, now that we have started discussing the manner in which we are discussing the discussion instead of the discussion itself, it seems a pretty good indication that this thread is fast approaching its predestined death.

Quick, somebody say something relevent! :huh:

As I said before, since DVDs (generally) come with both, it's become a completely personal choice issue, rather than a "Dammit, WHY do I have to pay TEN BUCKS more for subbed???" issue.

That said, I didn't buy the U.S. Mobile Suit Gundam DVDs because they didn't have a Japanese audio track, and I've heard about people who were upset because the Gundam movies didn't have a dub track...but releases like that are rare.

I am not sure if you are being serious or not. That movie was a snore for me. I need tits, explosions, and knife wounds to keep my attention.

Dude, she totally replaced that guys shoes with smaller shoes. Movie villains don't get more evil than that!

Dude, she totally replaced that guys shoes with smaller shoes. Movie villains don't get more evil than that!

Oh, is that the good part?

Maybe I need to see that thing agin.

Duke, you are brokering a serious chick film to me, if I see this thing again and its super fruity, I am taking away your 'Certified Cool Guy" card.

Oh, is that the good part?

Maybe I need to see that thing agin.

Duke, you are brokering a serious chick film to me, if I see this thing again and its super fruity, I am taking away your 'Certified Cool Guy" card.

We should probably take this discussion to the Amelie thread. You get back to me when you have the boob count from this movie.

Sub for me, no questions, no negotiations.

I prefer it with my anime. Heck, I prefer it with any foreign film I watch. I even go so far as enjoy seeing characters in a movie speak their native language with subtitles coming out. For example, watching a WWII movie and... English soldiers speaking like Englishmen do, German soldiers speaking *German!*, and Japanese speaking *Japanese!* :ph34r:

Anyways, back to subbing... I think there's a certain thing, a feel you could say, that gets lost when you replace the original voice actor. Especially if the dubbing VA is inferior.

I've always gone with subbed anime ever since I collected it in earnest in the early 90s. I'd get dub if there clearly was no other alternative, but those chances were higher in the early 90s than they are now.

As for Dub or Sub, its nice to have a choice of either. The creation of DVD's with multiple audio and subtitle tracks really did make this argument redundant. And outdated. Go with the new flow and demand to be able to swing either way!!!

Taksraven

I agree that it's great to have either option. In this day and age it's unreasonable to expect otherwise (unless they do something like the Gurren Lagann release where they put out a less expensive sub-only set while working on a dub release).