SDFM Music... why isn't it as good as RT's?!

RF-26AAC

Did you guys really expect HG to bring Macross over to America, release it AS IS, with every kid reading subtitles?

There are few things I dislike more than strawman arguments. Now, I'm fairly certain this wasn't intentional, and just poor reasoning, but let's not put words into people's mouths.

Hey man, call it what you want. That's just what it seems like.

I dislike all this Robotech hatred as much as you dislike strawman arguments.

For all I read here and there the hatred is not against Robotech. The real hatred is against HG because they have done everything possible to prevent Macross distribution out of Japan

That means we still have to trust in fansubbers, and we could not obtain quality merchandise properly translated.

Yes, I HATE HARMONY GOLD

Zeros: Understood. I'm with you on that. But I'm talking more about the product of the 1985 TV show. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Radd: It's cool if my reasoning may be poor (story of my life...). But could I kindly ask what you dislike about Robotech? No HG politics. Just artistically speaking about what was done to the show itself.

Edited by fifbeat

Kronnang Dunn

A debate over your taste in music? I think I'll expend effort on discussion :)

U didn't answer my question...

(But Radd did...) :rolleyes:

The Captain Herlock: Endless Odyssey score is all kinds of fantastic. So was Kevin Manthei's work for Invader Zim, and a lot of music created specifically for each episode. The recent Tetsujin 28 series had a great soundtrack, too. The latter two aren't space opera, but dunno why that should matter if we're just talking about tv series bgm and the quality thereof.

Thanks. I'll check the Endless Odyssey one...

Kevin Manthei's work for Zim was excellent... (it was a Space/Futuristic Crazy Comedy animated show though, hehe). I just love that Industrial music... (Hell, I love all kinds of music...).

Edited by Kronnang Dunn

I don't get excited when I hear the MA-KU-ROSSSS, I am sorry to say. I do get excited when I hear "kimi wa dare to kisu o suru", for instance... but that sad-sounding man doesn't make me excited to see the show, I feel like I could be sitting down to watch any other Japanese drama, not the coolest mecha show ever. I still get all excited when I hear the RT opening theme, but holy jesus the Macross opening is SOOO much better than the RT opening (insofar as footage is concerned)

The JDM VOCAL music is the win for sure, the english minmay is absolute drivel.

But seriously, I know some of you, deny it or not, saw RT first, SDF:M feels kinda empty (BGM wise) sometimes and I really wish I could have my music back but with my japanese language vocals/subtitles.

Oh, and that SNES Macross sidescrolling shooter game was PURE WIN! Hell, even the lousy 8-bit NES did an OK job! :)

I don't so much get into the Japanese guy belting out MAKUROSSS... but I like the overall theme, which is why the opening song of DYRL(Macross Theme) kicks so much ass!

The Robotech theme is ok... still pretty meh... and I saw/liked Robotech first! Robotech has a lot of repetitive themes... variations of Minmei songs etc... heavy synth stuff and it sounds very tinny/treble-y. While I could say the same thing about the Macross OST being heavy on the treble, it comes through with more oomph on my 5.1 system. Maybe it's because Robotech music was recorded in a church in a single day, but who knows... some parts kick ass though.

Radd: It's cool if my reasoning may be poor (story of my life...). But could I kindly ask what you dislike about Robotech? No HG politics. Just artistically speaking about what was done to the show itself.

Well, for one thing, I never stated that I disliked anything about Robotech. All I was saying was that no one said anything to suggest that they believed that HG should have brought "Macross over to America, release it AS IS, with every kid reading subtitles". That's what I meant by a "scarecrow argument", misdirecting the discussion with a statement like that.

Second, this thread is about the music. I'm pretty certain there's a section of the forums for Robotech, and Robotech/Macross discussion in general, and it's probably best to avoid derailing this thread any further.

Gubaba

Fair enough. Though I'm definitely all for more "Lame" in any way attached to RT :)

fifbeat

Yeah, that's not really a great topic for this thread. But I'll certainly reply in new thread if you're really interested in knowing.

Kronnang Dunn

I'm comfortable I made the right choice :)

fifbeat

Yeah, that's not really a great topic for this thread. But I'll certainly reply in new thread if you're really interested in knowing.

Go for it.

(I'm too lazy to find that thread!)

Seems like there is 1,000 Macross Frontier Topics, but for all other threads, we gotta dig 'em up, otherwise we get closed. :(

Edited by fifbeat

RT's intro was ok, yeah just OK. Everything else about RT music is plain crap.

SDFM's intro was great.

How can you guys compare a synth with an orchestra?

The Macross zentradi theme was pretty orchestral...

Edited by JB0

Notw THAT'S damning with faint praise... ^_^

But I LOVE Debbie Gibson. I know its weird but her stuff is really good for the genre. It wasn`t a dis on Robotech at all. A pure sincere compliment (in my world)