Which is the best biological weapon?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Zentradi, Protodevlin, Birdman, Vajra

• Zentradi
    • Protodevlin
    • Birdman
    • Vajra

Which is the best biological weapon?

Zentradi, Protodevlin, Birdman or Vajra?

Protodeviln were never biological weapons.

We never really got to see the limits of the Birdman.

We don't know wether the Vajra are biological weapons or not ...

(Well I guess the red and yellow Warrior drones count).

The Protodeviln were not biological weapons and the genesis of the Vajra is still in question. So this thread is a little mis-stated.

As Macross villains, the Zentradi are probably the most effective simply because of the ludicrous size of the Zentradi Army. Of all the Macross villains they've undoubtedly inflicted the most damage against our hero species, the humans (I suppose the Vajra is an open question, but I doubt their attacks will ever approach Space War I casualties). And when push comes to shove, no other Macross villain would stand a chance against a Zentradi main fleet, IMO.

The Protodeviln, the Vajra, the Birdman...they were all quite deadly against the paltry forces of the UN Spacy. Some of these villains would probably even inflict heavy losses upon the Zentradi in any engagement (like the Protodeviln). But by almost any benchmark, the Zentradi forces are simply limitless. The Vajra appear to be equal in numbers to the NUNS/SMS. The Varauta fleet numbered 70,000. A Zentradi main fleet could afford to throw millions of ships and billions of mecha at any enemy and could afford losses in the hundreds of thousands. The Grand Cannon destroyed nearly a million Zentradi warships and they never even blinked an eye. With the forces of just one main fleet (of which there are several thousand), the Zentradi could launch an almost unending siege. Every other Macross villain couldn't hope to out last the Zentradi and would simply be exhausted. They'd fall even if they inflicted disproportionate losses upon the Zentradi in ratios as ridiculous as 100,000 zentradi losses to 1 protodeviln/vajra/birdman.

Strains the mind a bit, don't it? :wacko:

Zentradi, were the weapons of the protoculture, what they would use to fight their wars. Makes me wonder if they were always intended to be in such huge numbers when they were conceived, or if 500.000 years of automated factories pumping out ships and clones has anything to do with it... Whatever the case is, the galaxy has several of these main fleets numbering in millions of vessels in the galaxy. Strong and reliable, they make up for their various shortcomings by the sheer numbers they can field.

Protodeviln, what you get when you take the zentradi mk. II, aka the EVIL-series, and have them possesed by interdimensional "soulvampires". More akin to demigods that need to feed on others to survive. Arguably the individually strongest, they're few in numbers and repelled by song making them quite a wild card. (Or they learn to appreciate said song, thereby learning a way to solve their feeding need, and will then promptly desert :p ).

Birdman, seems to be a protoculture "cleanup" device for civilizations that are developing in an undesirable direction. An impressive weapon in itself, it probably spells doom for whatever civilization that sings the song of destruction. Likely not much of a threat on the galactic level.

Vajra, the new kids on the block. Have powerful weaponry, regenerative abilities and can 'evolve' to adapt against foes. We still don't know much about them, where they are from or how many there really are of them. Need to know the latter especially. Individually much stronger than zentradi, but probably weaker than a protodeviln, their ability to evolve new defenses against attacls would potentially pose problem to the former. The zentradi however can still batter at them endlessly with countless weapons, so unless they achieve 100% immunity they'll eventually be worn down. Question is how many would the Vajra be fielding?

The Protodeviln were not biological weapons and the genesis of the Vajra is still in question. So this thread is a little mis-stated.

As Macross villains, the Zentradi are probably the most effective simply because of the ludicrous size of the Zentradi Army. Of all the Macross villains they've undoubtedly inflicted the most damage against our hero species, the humans (I suppose the Vajra is an open question, but I doubt their attacks will ever approach Space War I casualties). And when push comes to shove, no other Macross villain would stand a chance against a Zentradi main fleet, IMO.

The Protodeviln, the Vajra, the Birdman...they were all quite deadly against the paltry forces of the UN Spacy. Some of these villains would probably even inflict heavy losses upon the Zentradi in any engagement (like the Protodeviln). But by almost any benchmark, the Zentradi forces are simply limitless. The Vajra appear to be equal in numbers to the NUNS/SMS. The Varauta fleet numbered 70,000. A Zentradi main fleet could afford to throw millions of ships and billions of mecha at any enemy and could afford losses in the hundreds of thousands. The Grand Cannon destroyed nearly a million Zentradi warships and they never even blinked an eye. With the forces of just one main fleet (of which there are several thousand), the Zentradi could launch an almost unending siege. Every other Macross villain couldn't hope to out last the Zentradi and would simply be exhausted. They'd fall even if they inflicted disproportionate losses upon the Zentradi in ratios as ridiculous as 100,000 zentradi losses to 1 protodeviln/vajra/birdman.

Strains the mind a bit, don't it? :wacko:

I think the Protodeviln, goofy as they are, could've beaten them, however...For every Zentradi they would take out of commision by draining his or her spiritia, the Protodeviln in question would grow stronger. Thus, rather than exhausted, they would end up more pumped than at the beginning of the battle. And the Zentradi would have no Anima Spiritia with which to combat them.

No wonder Exsedol was so freaked out when he realized who they were...

Zentradi for two reasons. One i agree with Mr. March the sheer numbers of Zentradi in the galaxy is enough to counter pretty much anything but loli pop idols. Zentradi are like the Ork from 40k the most numerous and resilient species in the galaxy but being divided as they are amongst the fleets with no central authority they can be handled a few at a time. Two when the Zentradi encounter a loli pop idol and get cultured they become 50 foot tall babes. Genetically engineered to stay slim and attractive for years and years. When you defeat them in miclone size and challenge their warrior honor you can get them to marry you and then make some "culture" /wink /nudge in the bedroom.

Gubaba

Just my opinion, but I don't see it happening. The vast majority of Varauta forces where just mind controlled humans and Zentradi. There's no "ejecting cockpits" from Zentradi mecha , the Varauta are the ones vastly outnumbered and the Zentradi have nothing holding them back this time.

Put it this way: if a Zentradi main fleet appeared in orbit of Varauta 4 like they did around Earth, there would be no kidnapping or mass captures, no time to amass spiritia farms or spiritia black holes. Any forces the Protodeviln did somehow manage to mind control in the middle of a battle (I'd like to know how that would even be attempted), the Zentradi wouldn't hesitate to count those compromised forces along side the corpses of the Gepelnitch and his gang.

Like I said, most of the Macross villains are great if they have the numerical advantage and plenty of time to operate at their own discretion almost unhindered (which doesn't say much for the UN Spacy's "war strategies"). But throw them up against a wall with a Zentradi main fleet and suddenly they ain't looking so hot :)

Edited by Mr March

A Bodolza (sp?) sized fleet of Zentradi space ships is still the most dangerous thing in the galaxy. It is so dangerous that Global and the remains of the Unity gov't decided its better to take their chance colonizing the galaxy and encountering more unknown dangers then to stay around Earth. If a Zentradi force in the tens of millions showed up at Varauta 4 knowing that this plaent was a source of danger to them, the Zentradi would have turned that planet to ash the second they could have after leaving fold space.

Gubaba

Just my opinion, but I don't see it happening. The vast majority of Varauta forces where just mind controlled humans and Zentradi. There's no "ejecting cockpits" from Zentradi mecha , the Varauta are the ones vastly outnumbhttp://macrossworld.com/mwf/style_images/mwf-v2/folder_editor_images/rte-italic.pngered and the Zentradi have nothing holding them back this time.

Put it this way: if a Zentradi main fleet appeared in orbit of Varauta 4 like they did around Earth, there would be no kidnapping or mass captures, no time to amass spiritia farms or spiritia black holes. Any forces the Protodeviln did somehow manage to mind control in the middle of a battle (I'd like to know how that would even be attempted), the Zentradi wouldn't hesitate to count those compromised forces along side the corpses of the Gepelnitch and his gang.

Like I said, most of the Macross villains are great if they have the numerical advantage and plenty of time to operate at their own discretion almost unhindered (which doesn't say much for the UN Spacy's "war strategies"). But throw them up against a wall with a Zentradi main fleet and suddenly they ain't looking so hot :)

The Varauta forces, sure. But just send out Sivil to suck all the spiritia out of the oncoming Zentradi hordes, and you've got millions of energy sources for her to drain with weapons that don't do diddly-squat against her. She doesn't have to control their minds, just take the spiritia and move on to the next. Conventional weapons don't work against her, she's got an endless appetite, and the only thing that can stop her is Anima Spiritia, which the Zentradi don't possess. It might take a few days or weeks, but I don't doubt she could suck 'em all dry.

:unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

Oh, get your mind out of the gutter. I didn't mean it like that.

The Varauta forces, sure. But just send out Sivil to suck all the spiritia out of the oncoming Zentradi hordes, and you've got millions of energy sources for her to drain with weapons that don't do diddly-squat against her. She doesn't have to control their minds, just take the spiritia and move on to the next. Conventional weapons don't work against her, she's got an endless appetite, and the only thing that can stop her is Anima Spiritia, which the Zentradi don't possess. It might take a few days or weeks, but I don't doubt she could suck 'em all dry.

Seconded!

All the Protodeviln would do is to suck entire Zentraedi fleet dry of Spiritia, & then, instant brainwashed brand new Supervision Army. Just imagine, a loose & opportunist protodeviln would do exactly that.

What better way to confront a Zentraedi grand fleet with another mind-controlled Zentraedi grand fleet under Protodeviln's control (with addition of powerful Protodevilns at the side too)!

Given entire non-cultured Zentraedi fleets didn't even have a single Anima Spiritia that could contained Protodeviln, I'm willing to bet Protodeviln gonna have a field day in amassing limitless spiritia & adding another brainwashed Zentraedi fleets into their burgeoning Supervision Army armada!

:unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

Oh, get your mind out of the gutter. I didn't mean it like that.

Like I said, I don't see it happening. It would literally take years for Sivil to even attempt to to absorb spiritia from a fleet of five million warships and she wouldn't have the time. And the Protodeviln were never invincible. The chronology specifically states during the civil war/invasion era of the Protoculture the Zentradi were only partially successful in fighting the Protodeviln because their non-interference directives against the Protoculture hampered their ability to fight effectively. Without that caveat, the scales we're dealing with are way beyond what the Protodeviln could hope to defeat. Sure Britai's Adoclass fleet would probably suffer defeat, much like other small fleets such as Macross 7. They simply wouldn't don't the firepower. One or two super dimension energy cannons isn't going to be that effective. But 5 million? That's a whole other story. Besides, Varauta 4 and most of the Protodeviln would be wiped out in the first strike anyway. Whatever Varauta forces remained would be lambs to the slaughter.

Edited by Mr March

Besides, Varauta 4 and most of the Protodeviln would be wiped out in the first strike anyway. Whatever Varauta forces remained would be lambs to the slaughter.

Assuming that Zentraedi ever get the hang of Protodeviln wherebout. In truth, we know that even Zentraedi are hard pressed against Supervision Army, succeeding simply because of Anima Spiritia contigent supplied by Protoculture assistance in rendering the Protodeviln in stasis. Zentraedii controllable? Look at what they did to their former creators, the Protoculture ... simply by wiping the entire surviving PC post Zentraedi-ProtoDeviln wars.

Zentraedi by that time are fairly indepent, each fleet controlled by a big Zent warlord. Even there seems to be schism within Zent fleet, one can expect such schism also existed between Zent fleets that loathed to share resources.

Just imagine if Protodeviln manages to brainwashed an entier Zent fleet & go merry happy way of collecting spiritia. Zentraedi at its height only able to destroy civilisations on planetary bombardment basis, while Protodeviln, upon having unlimited & uncontrolled spiritia, can literally suck the entire universe dry through Spiritia Black Hole (nifty trick).

No wonder Exsedol nearly wets his robe upon recognising Protodeviln at a glance.

Like I said, I don't see it happening. It would literally take years for Sivil to even attempt to to absorb spiritia from a fleet of five million warships and she wouldn't have the time. And the Protodeviln were never invincible. The chronology specifically states during the civil war/invasion era of the Protoculture the Zentradi were only partially successful in fighting the Protodeviln because their non-interference directives against the Protoculture hampered their ability to fight effectively. Without that caveat, the scales we're dealing with are way beyond what the Protodeviln could hope to defeat. Sure Britai's Adoclass fleet would probably suffer defeat, much like other small fleets such as Macross 7. They simply wouldn't don't the firepower. One or two super dimension energy cannons isn't going to be that effective. But 5 million? That's a whole other story. Besides, Varauta 4 and most of the Protodeviln would be wiped out in the first strike anyway. Whatever Varauta forces remained would be lambs to the slaughter.

Yeah, the Protodeviln kind of were invincible...they launched reaction missiles and Zomd and Goram and all it did was blow their arms off...which they promptly regenerated.

Besides, Exsedold said that a single Protodeviln could take out an entire Zentradi Fleet, and that it had happened before.

You callin' Exsedol a liar, Bub? :p

I get what you're saying March, but I think you're wrong. It never says the Protodeviln were vulnerable at all or even hints at it. Everything suggests they were effectively invulnerable. What the Protodeviln did was create the supervision army from captured Zentredi and Protocultures, which allowed them to control the territory they took. This was what the Zentredi primarily fought against, not the Protodeviln. While the Zentredi were likely on an equal footing to the Supervision Army, they likely had no chance vs the Protodeviln. I actually doubt they had any ability to destroy them. After losing 85% of their population, the Protoculture didnt' destroy the PD, they sealed them in a planet. And the supervision army wasn't ineffective either. They were able to destroy the Glaug weapon plants several thousand years after the war. With the PD invulnerable and able to trash whole fleets, while being able to build their own fleets, it was only a matter of time before they overcame the Zentreadi war machine. In the end it was the anima spiritia which seemed to be the only thing that was effective against the PD, which finally won the war for the Protoculture.

I get what you're saying March, but I think you're wrong. It never says the Protodeviln were vulnerable at all or even hints at it. Everything suggests they were effectively invulnerable.

I also get what you and others are saying, but it's not a question of invulnerability, since the Protodeviln are not invincible. The Protodevlin weaken and perish without spiritia; hence, they are not invulnerable. Without anima spiritia, conventional victory against the Protodeviln simply requires a disproportionately large force. Not with 10,000 men could you do this, LOL :) Ordinarily in sci-fi, such a ridiculously large conventional force doesn't exist. But thousands of such forces exist in Macross; Zentradi main fleets!

I acknowledge the Zentradi themselves would supply spiritia for the few Protodeviln to absorb. But as I've tried to explain, this scenario has the Zentradi engaged in a non-stop battle against the Protodevlin. That's 7,500,000,000 Zentradi against 7 protodeviln. Once battle begins, the Zentradi have sufficient resources to constantly fight indefinitely. For every one Zentradi whose spiritia is absorbed, the Protodeviln suffer thousands upon thousands of attacks at the same time; no pause, no quarter. The Protodeviln simply don't have numbers nor time to absorb that many enemies in the midst of combat. What's more, the Zentradi can bring to bear a level of firepower thousands of orders of magnitude greater than any attack the Protodevlin were subjected to in Macross 7, requiring the Protodevin to function at their maximum to fight the Zentradi. Without sufficient spiritia, all the Protodeviln weaken and in this scenario the Protodeviln simply couldn't replenish their spiritia fast enough to replace what they'd expend fighting the Zentradi.

At the beginning of such a contest, the Protodeviln have a huge advantage, inflicting disproportionate losses upon the Zentradi and even initially gaining spiritia. But very quickly, that equation changes. A disproportionately greater amount of spiritia is required to defeat a disproportionately larger adversary in a disproportionately lengthy engagement.

Like I said, Protodeviln exhaustion is inevitable.

It's a time vs. gain/loss equation. That's a formula that vastly favours the Zentradi.

The fight would be a war of attrition and in such a contest, the Zentradi win.

There's just one kink in that argument.

Spiritia blackhole

I don't think no matter how many Bodol fleets there is the Zentradi can withstand Gepenitch gone berserk.

Remember the Protoculture writings on Lux that life in the galaxy was almost wiped out because of the Protodevlin.

There's just one kink in that argument.

Spiritia blackhole

I don't think no matter how many Bodol fleets there is the Zentradi can withstand Gepenitch gone berserk.

Nope, already covered that in an earlier post.

I agree the spiritia black hole is the coup de grace, but the battle would be over long before that outcome, as I mentioned earlier. With all the spiritia from millions and millions of people lost in the Megaroad-13 fleet, the Macross 5 fleet (which had THREE City ships) and all the Macross 7 casualties, the Protodeviln still lacked sufficient spiritia until Basara's screw up. And the only reason the Protodeviln captured such spoils was because once they destroyed the paltry UN Spacy forces, it left millions of helpless civilians trapped in nice big space domes reading for crackin' :)

In the Protodeviln vs. Zentradi main fleet scenario, there would be no such spoils; no civilians; no fish in the barrel; no conveniently helpless non-combatants. This would leave the Protodeviln fighting tooth and nail for scraps of spiritia in an engagement requiring constant, large-scale expenditure. Gepernitch would be exhausted long before he could ever hope to amass the millions upon millions of Zentradi necessary for a spiritia black hole. And given the scenario, the Protodeviln would need whatever spiritia they could obtain just to match what they expend.

As I said, every which way I work it, the Zentradi prevail. There's just too many.

Nope, already covered that in an earlier post.

I agree the spiritia black hole is the coup de grace, but the battle would be over long before that outcome, as I mentioned earlier. With all the spiritia from millions and millions of people lost in the Megaroad-13 fleet, the Macross 5 fleet (which had THREE City ships) and all the Macross 7 casualties, the Protodeviln still lacked sufficient spiritia until Basara's screw up. And the only reason the Protodeviln captured such spoils was because once they destroyed the paltry UN Spacy forces, it left millions of helpless civilians trapped in nice big space domes reading for crackin' :)

In the Protodeviln vs. Zentradi main fleet scenario, there would be no such spoils; no civilians; no fish in the barrel; no conveniently helpless non-combatants. This would leave the Protodeviln fighting tooth and nail for scraps of spiritia in an engagement requiring constant, large-scale expenditure. Gepernitch would be exhausted long before he could ever hope to amass the millions upon millions of Zentradi necessary for a spiritia black hole. And given the scenario, the Protodeviln would need whatever spiritia they could obtain just to match what they expend.

As I said, every which way I work it, the Zentradi prevail. There's just too many.

Okay...I finally see the point of disagreement. You say conventional weapons can work against the Protodeviln. I say they can't.

Here's my reasoning:

1) Exsedol said that one Protodeviln could wipe out an entire Zentradi main fleet single-handedly, and IIRC either said or implied that this had happened before. Now, he could be mistaken, but I doubt he is.

2) The only Protodeviln who died in the series were killed by other Protodeviln, with the exception of Gigil, who destroyed himself. Hell, the planet he was on broke apart, and he was still standing. I suppose a case could be made that the destruction of the planet mortally wounded him, but my impression was that it was only the tremendous amount of power he was pouring out that killed him. The destruction of Lux had no effect on him.

3) Reaction weapons did nothing to stop Zomd and Goram. And I don't think the Zentradi have any weapons that are more powerful, or else they wouldn't be the "legendary" reaction weapons. Again, I suppose a case could be made that a WHOLE LOT of reaction weapons would have some effect, but I doubt it, because...

4) There were seven EVIL series bodies made. There are seven Protodeviln. During the entire Interstellar war, the Protoculture, with all of their resources, were never able to kill a single Protodeviln...and I'm sure it wasn't for lack of trying.

If there's anything that indicates that the Protodeviln ARE vulnerable to conventional weapons, I either haven't come across it, or have missed it.

Okay...I finally see the point of disagreement. You say conventional weapons can work against the Protodeviln. I say they can't.

I would think they can. Otherwise what point would they have for energy fields or regeneration abilities to protect themselves?

The ships in the Zentradi fleet don't need reaction weapons. They have super dimension energy cannons, just like the ones seen in SDF Macross and DYRL. Plus they have Gorg Bodolzaa's Mobile Fortress gun, which was pretty much a grand cannon.

Like I said, the Protodeviln expend spritia in everything they do, even doing nothing; it's their sustenance. Constant output requires constant input.

Even if we were to assume the Zentradi couldn't actually kill the Protodeviln, they could exhaust the Protodeviln into an inert state. Probably much like the anima spiritia did, without requiring millions of ships :)

As for Exedol, the Macross series have shown it's best to take what he says in perspective. I don't specifically remember Exedol saying a main fleet, but if he did, I guess that's the end of my theory :)

I would think they can. Otherwise what point would they have for energy fields or regeneration abilities to protect themselves?

The ships in the Zentradi fleet don't need reaction weapons. They have super dimension energy cannons, just like the ones seen in SDF Macross and DYRL. Plus they have Gorg Bodolzaa's Mobile Fortress gun, which was pretty much a grand cannon.

Like I said, the Protodeviln expend spritia in everything they do, even doing nothing; it's their sustenance. Constant output requires constant input.

Even if we were to assume the Zentradi couldn't actually kill the Protodeviln, they could exhaust the Protodeviln into an inert state. Probably much like the anima spiritia did, without requiring millions of ships :)

As for Exedol, the Macross series have shown it's best to take what he says in perspective. I don't specifically remember Exedol saying a main fleet, but if he did, I guess that's the end of my theory :)

Good point about regeneration abilities...Zomd and Goram were indeed injured by the reaction weapons. So yeah...I guess a big enough blast would destroy them. Not sure exactly what kind of weapon that blast would come from, though...

I'll look for Exsedol's line, though...until I find that, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Found it!

Episode 27, about nine and a half minutes into it...

Also here:

http://www.mahq.net/animation/macross/seven/mac7ep27.htm

Admittedly, Exsedol doesn't say a main fleet, he just says a fleet. But everyone is shocked and someone says, "Surely you mean a squadron, not a fleet?" And Exsedol responds, "No, I mean a fleet. And don't call me Shirley."

Not as conclusive and air-tight as I hoped it would be...but still, I think the evidence is on my side. Much as I'd like to say that giant badasses bred for war are stronger than a bunch of clownish Elfquest rejects, I just can't. :ph34r:

Edited by Gubaba

Granted it's too early to tell, but what about the Vajra?

Assuming there are as many Vajra are there are Zentraedi (or maybe even more), wouldn't they be even more of a threat to both the Zentraedi and the Protodevlin? We're not even sure if there's any spiritia to suck off of the Vajra.

Granted it's too early to tell, but what about the Vajra?

Assuming there are as many Vajra are there are Zentraedi (or maybe even more), wouldn't they be even more of a threat to both the Zentraedi and the Protodevlin? We're not even sure if there's any spiritia to suck off of the Vajra.

I think a lot depends on their recent resistance to reaction weapons...if this is part of their nature, that they grow immune to anything thrown at them, then they might be in the running...