Toynami/Tamashii(Bandai) Macross SDCC coverage-1/55, 1/100, et al

Shin Densetsu Kai 7.0

The statement is made immediately following Miriya's statement. Instead of making a direct response to Miriya I made a more broad response as to say that the whole board needs to get over that sort of thing. Stop being so defensive.

The statement is made immediately following Miriya's statement. Instead of making a direct response to Miriya I made a more broad response as to say that the whole board needs to get over that sort of thing. Stop being so defensive.

God, your dense, your accusation of me being defensive is silly because you're the one acting all hurt and defensive because of a post you didn't like. Which makes you a hypocrite as well.

And why should a whole board change it's general opinion just to appease your personal feelings?

Both of them should work together to give the fans the toys that don't break and stop fighting each other. :)

Toynami just let yamato make the alpha and beta (legioss and tread) fighters already. Then re-release robotech versions of them with characters from shadow chronicles with toynami changes to them.

We all just want something that doesn't self destruct after a few seconds looking at it.

... :blink:

Wait.

You...are...suggesting...that...to...cut...breakage...YAMATO...(of all that you can choose of)...MAKES THEM?!?

This does not compute.

Brain hurts.

At most, I'd ask Yamato to make the base design, then choose a capable company whose engineers actually know something about QC and what kind of materials you need to use for certain parts to prevent them from breaking AND that has factories upon which they can enforce their quality standards to actually finish the design and produce it.

And no, I do not neccessarily mean Bandai or Takara.

I see now that you've come to reailze that I wasn't taking a jab at you but instead of just apologizing for your misunderstanding you're going on the offensive. The fact of the matter is that if you actually read the reply from the person my comment was directed most at there was no issue for you to get riled up about in the first place. Stop lashing out, relax, drink a cold one, and know that if I ever do feel like picking a fight with you I'll call you out directly.

I see now that you've come to reailze that I wasn't taking a jab at you but instead of just apologizing for your misunderstanding you're going on the offensive. The fact of the matter is that if you actually read the reply from the person my comment was directed most at there was no issue for you to get riled up about in the first place. Stop lashing out, relax, drink a cold one, and know that if I ever do feel like picking a fight with you I'll call you out directly.

whatever makes you feel better, especially denial... :rolleyes:

call me out then, toynami fanboy!

At most, I'd ask Yamato to make the base design, then choose a capable company whose engineers actually know something about QC and what kind of materials you need to use for certain parts to prevent them from breaking AND that has factories upon which they can enforce their quality standards to actually finish the design and produce it.

Ok then bandai should do the mospeada legioss and tread. :D Whatever. Arrrgh just give us a good toy. The mech doesn't even look all that complex. Just a flying brick.

With those license now I wonder if Hasbro/Takara will approach Toynami for a Jetfire edition.

Most probably not ever. The only reason Hasbro/Takara are re-releasing the Diaclone-based G1 Transformer toys is because they still have tooling on-hand & in-house to manufacture them. I'd venture to say they'd never go to a third party - Bandai, TomyTakara's single major competitor at that - and license a product from them to simply redeco into their own.

Hasbro had acquired a license for the Takatoku Super VF-1S design from Matsushiro (as well as 2 similarly scaled Dorvack toys) - the design firm that developed the toy for Takatoku and held the patent on the design - in the lull between Takatoku's and Bandai's use of it. That was an unusual situation that gave birth to the Jetfire toy.

However, if the Super 1S becomes more readily available in North America via Toynami I wonder if we'll find Transformers fans repainting them into custom reproduction Jetfires, rather than the reverse by Macross fans as had been the case for so many years. <_<

Edited by AcroRay

Hasbro had acquired a license for the Takatoku Super VF-1S design from Matsushiro (as well as 2 similarly scaled Dorvack toys) - the design firm that developed the toy for Takatoku and held the patent on the design - in the lull between Takatoku's and Bandai's use of it. That was an unusual situation that gave birth to the Jetfire toy.

Splitting hairs here, Ray, I know, but Matsushiro was just contracted by Hasbro to run off copies of the toys that they had tooling for. Nobody with a stake in Macross (Tatsunoko, Studio Nue, or Harmony Gold) granted Hasbro a license to make a Macross toy. It was the 1980s and nobody really cared or ever thought they would get caught. And as it turned out, they didn't.

In a way, a similar thing is happening here with Tamashii and Toynami. None of the Japanese stakeholders (Tatsunoko or Studio Nue) are getting any money for the Valkyrie toys that Toynami is bringing over to the USA, however, they are paying Harmony Gold for the privilege of selling them here and branding them as Macross and Robotech toys.

Edited by Roger

Not splitting hairs at all. The finer details are always important! But yeah, that's what I was trying to get across. Hasbro and Matsushiro were were the players at the time. It was a unique situation that I don't expect anyone will be interested in trying to re-create today.

Tatsunoko & the other Japanese stakeholders will make their money from Bandai's overall sales (of which Toynami's will be a part) of the products they manufacture. That probably works better for them in the long run, rather than working the round-way trying to get money from Harmony Gold?

I wonder how much of this is small-potatoes, paving the way for a bigger payoff for everyone later with Macross Frontier licensing and products?

[Common, Josh! Where's the dirt? I've been refreshing all day!]

Edited by AcroRay

I used to be a huge Robotech fan, but the combined efforts of Toynami and HG burned me out so I moved on to Macross :lol:

If Toynami could play distributor for Yamato/Bandai/ect. in the states, they would COMPLETELY redeem themselves in my eyes. Just think, primo Yamato Valks bought locally for under $100. Life would be good B))

I used to be a huge Robotech fan, but the combined efforts of Toynami and HG burned me out so I moved on to Macross

That's rather odd, I think, because Toynami has released a fair number of genuine Macross-branded products. And they had to get HG's permission to do so. So both companies had finally relented to the source segment of the property - owning it rather than burying it. Sohn's goal had always been to release real Macross items.

Edited by AcroRay

Tatsunoko & the other Japanese stakeholders will make their money from Bandai's overall sales (of which Toynami's will be a part) of the products they manufacture.

My understanding is that this is not the case. Toynami buys the toys directly from Bandai's factories in Asia and nobody in Japan gets any royalties from it. Of course, it benefits Bandai because they get to increase their production runs and their profit margins due to economies of scale, but as far as I know, Big West and Tatsunoko don't get a cut of this action. Which is really the way it should be.

The 1/55s with the new head sculpts are kinda neat. Will they include both heads with the 1/55?

The 25th anniversary Origin of the Valkyrie VF-1S and VF-1J are both out(according to HLJ) I assume they don't come with the new head sculpt.

Roger, I hate to be contrary, but Jetfire boxes had the Tatsunoko seahorse logo on a sticker affixed to them.

Oh, come on, you love to be contrary. ;p

I was ignorant of this, though, I didn't know they had the sticker. So if it was done with Tatsunoko's blessing, then they should have had some 'splaining to do to Harmony Gold.

Guess nothing happened.

Did the Dorvack Transformers have the licensing sticker, too?

There's a Roadbuster in an dual-language box on eBay right now that has the silver & red foil "AP" licensing decal on the box (to the right of the character's name).

Now that Ginrai mentions it, I do also recall seeing the Tatsunoko seahorse seal on the box of the Jetfire I had back in high school, and thinking to myself bitterly "Why do we always get recolored & repackaged versions of Japanese toys all the time? Why can't they just leave them as-is and sell them without always having to screw around with them...?"

Edited by AcroRay

this thread doesn't have any of its own pics besides the linky on the 1st page... i thought i'd share some of the pics i took on sunday.. did anyone mention or see the pretty neat displays they had??

INCLUDING a cannon fodder GBP set and a Max TV VF-1A..... i thought the max diorama blowing up the regult is pretty cool too....

7-28-08025.jpg

7-28-08032.jpg

7-28-08033.jpg

7-28-08027.jpg

GBP armor up close with different parts....

7-28-08029.jpg

7-28-08030.jpg

7-28-08018.jpg

these 1/100 sets look 100% BETTER with the fast packs and armor.... actually look pretty decent in the displays like that... pretty stoked about the regult too...

Only thing i hate is Toynami's bitchy attitude about everything.... if you're sitting at the frakking toynami booth... at least have the courtesy to answer some questions about your products...

I asked the guy at the booth.... "So what's the estimated release date for the new Macross 1/100 stuff and Betas??"

reply from stupid dude... "Go look at the cards in the display"

i say... "Well.... all of them say 'Coming Soon'"

really stupid dude answer: "oh... probably sometime next year.... "

WTF!!! those guys are all jerks... sigh.... as excited as i was to see the displays... i smell lots and lots of vaporware...

Guest sh002
"milia's special skull valkyrie"

Am I missing something here? pics?

no i made that up since jetfire doesn't exist in macross but since it has red armor and it is slightly different i just pretend it could be milia's vf-1s.

GBP armor up close with different parts....

these 1/100 sets look 100% BETTER with the fast packs and armor.... actually look pretty decent in the displays like that... pretty stoked about the regult too...

Only thing i hate is Toynami's bitchy attitude about everything.... if you're sitting at the frakking toynami booth... at least have the courtesy to answer some questions about your products...

I asked the guy at the booth.... "So what's the estimated release date for the new Macross 1/100 stuff and Betas??"

WTF!!! those guys are all jerks... sigh.... as excited as i was to see the displays... i smell lots and lots of vaporware...

Should sack his arse, real good face for your company hey Toynami.

The GBP-1S looks perfect.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

WTF!!! those guys are all jerks...

Probably intern or 'volunteer'.... :huh:

Thanks for the great pics!

That wasn't isolated to just one booth. It seemed as though a lot of the workers were just "jobbers" this was especially true at the Mattel booth and I know at least one group of workers at another booth were just grabbed as cheap labor from Ireland on visas.