Custom Hand-Made VF-1J Plushie!!

KiriK

Since other people were posting there customs, i don't even know if this counts as a toy but i wanted to show off my handmade plush figure that i made... I've seen the VF-1S plush doll that Egan and xstoys have and always thought i could make a better one... I had no idea how to do it or where to start so i just bought a bunch of material and started from the top down from scratch...

15 hours of work later, 2 broken sewing needles, a couple of burnt fingers from a hot glue gun, and not sleeping the at ALL the night before the con... VIOLA!!!

MWCon044.jpg

MWCon045.jpg

It has moveable arms, i used a wooden dowel to hold the arms up and make then swing

MWCon047.jpg

The gun is removed from the valk.... it actually sticks the side of the arm by itself too in the picture

MWCon048.jpg

I was sad i didn't have time to finish the back side... no backpack.... yet..haha... (good thing no one saw the back at the con!! haha... might not have gotten 2nd in the customs contest)

MWCon046.jpg

So i entered it into this year's MacrossWorld Con Customs Contest and for the 1st time, we had enough attendees to have fan favorite voting for best custom instead of judging. I got all the kids votes.... haha... yay 2nd place!!!

Since other people were posting there customs, i don't even know if this counts as a toy but i wanted to show off my handmade plush figure that i made... I've seen the VF-1S plush doll that Egan and xstoys have and always thought i could make a better one... I had no idea how to do it or where to start so i just bought a bunch of material and started from the top down from scratch...

15 hours of work later, 2 broken sewing needles, a couple of burnt fingers from a hot glue gun, and not sleeping the at ALL the night before the con... VIOLA!!!

It has moveable arms, i used a wooden dowel to hold the arms up and make then swing

The gun is removed from the valk.... it actually sticks the side of the arm by itself too in the picture

I was sad i didn't have time to finish the back side... no backpack.... yet..haha... (good thing no one saw the back at the con!! haha... might not have gotten 2nd in the customs contest)

So i entered it into this year's MacrossWorld Con Customs Contest and for the 1st time, we had enough attendees to have fan favorite voting for best custom instead of judging. I got all the kids votes.... haha... yay 2nd place!!!

A VERY cool piece of work!!! It was really nice to see this in person. A picture may say a million words...but it sure the hell makes it hard to tell how neat it REALLY is!

Great work Kiririth!!! I look forward to seeing what you make next year.

:ph34r:

Don't know how well you can tell by the pics but this thing is HUGE. I thought Kiririth was crazy for attempting such a project 2 days before con but he pulled it off. And the fans have spoken, they like you....they really like you. haha

thanks for the all the comments! I wish i could share the patterns with you, but i didn't make any as it was all just scratch built... BUT i do have a much better idea of putting it together so i could technically put something together if anyone ever wanted to do it...

And i have a lot of material leftover, so i'm thinking of making a 2.0 version for next year's con COMPLETE with fastpacks too... maybe i'll try a different valk altogether like the YF-19 or something... haha....

Here's a pic of my inspiration for doing this...the original vf-1s plush valk

MWCon2008110.jpg

and mine! at the con. Pics taken by MisterRyno

MWCon200846.jpg

• 2 years later...

So i don't know why i've been on this kitbashing/custom spree lately but i guess i've been bored with my toys so that's why i'm working on all this stuff.... Last night i revisited my custom VF-1J plushie which i never got to finish the backpack for. Anyways, 2 years later and finally some extra time on my hands i've completed my Super Happy VF-1J Plushie with a backpack AND moveable wings!

It took me awhile to figure out how to attach everything, but using good all fashion brads, i was able to make the wings poseable as well. Hope you enjoy!

Old unfinished Plushie

MWCon046.jpg

Finished completed backpack plushie!!

003.jpg

Open Wings

004-1.jpg

Front side with open wings

005-1.jpg

Finishing this really has inspired me to work on a Version 2 of the plushie which i should finish in time for the con this year - VF-1S Plushie w/ Fastpacks!

Thanks for the comments guys! when i made this, i basically built it from scratch and didn't bother making patterns as i went along since i was creating it on the spot. When i make my next one with improvements, i'll try to make patterns in case anyone else wants to build one. =]

Although for my next one, i don't think i'm going to make it as big as this one. Probably 1/3 smaller in scale.

Hey guys, i'm thinking of possibly mass producing my version 2.0 plushies for sale. I'd probably only do a limited run of about 10 or so, each hand made custom to order. Taking in supplies cost and my time and detailing, it'd probably be around $100-$150 each depending if i can get a full run to make them all at the same time. Each one would have the following features:

-Detailed plush VF-1 figure aprox 16"-20" tall (VF-1J's are base figure, but i may do 1S or 1A for more cost depending on the detailing)

-Moveable Arms

-Removeable Gun

-Moveable Head Lasers (Depending on which version you want)

-Moveable Wings

-Possibility of Fastpacks (May cost extra)

This is just an interest post at this point, but if you are interested, post here or PM me and when i finish the new proto-type, i'll contact you if i'm going to make them.

cheers!

i guess nobody's really interested... oh well, i just finished designing the patterns for version 2.0 plushie. Here's a mock up of how big it will be with newly designed 1S head and better arms and proportions

2010-07-30004347.jpg