Macross Frontier music

listen to OST

it is so amercian

i remember the giant shopping mall, all the backgnd sound are amercian speaking with their amercian slant

is there any japanese amercian involve in frontier

it must be

it is everywhere, music, backgnd sound , special effect sound.

anyone agree?

Huh? :blink:

I agree that the orchestral tracks sound very grand (and perhaps kind of Hollywood), but the rest of it...?

Loving the soundtrack.

Well the Big Boys song...which sounds like Pirates of the Caribbean...which sounds like The Rock...which sounds like Gladiator...Hans Zimmer music sounds the same kinda...you can definitely tell.

Zero Hour reminds me of Top Gun.

Tally Ho! sounds like something from Star Wars.

Private Army reminds me of Ace Combat Zero theme

Infinity, What bout my star, don't be late and The Target are my favorites.

------

oh and that song that was at the beginning of Episode 6 isn't on this soundtrack...i hope it was an actual song (love the beat), not just some sound test thing Sheryl was testing with.

Edited by MUGETSU

Hiho guys! Well i got a question i'm lookin' for a specific track its this one http://www.aford.de/files/Acid/test2.mp3 ( the music playin' in the background ) i think its first appearance is at the miss macross selection and the second time at episode 8 from 17:00 min - 18:20 min

I just love this breakbeat track but it isn't on the new macross frontier OST or anywhere else to find.

Does anyone know the interpret or title of this track?

i too was shock it miss out on ost

it is a catchy tune

i think it is part of dun be late

The soundtrack makes it pretty obvious that there has been a fair amount of mix'n'match going on with the orchestral stuff. (One piece merging into a section of another, etc) Unlike M+ and M0 where a lot of the stuff was pretty much straight off the soundtrack.

Thats no problem but it would be good if you could get some of the mixes used in the episodes. The best example I can point to is the music from the first 5 minutes or so of episode 2, which is clearly the combination of at least three different tracks seamlessly joined. (Part of The Target, part of Take Off and I suspect part of another piece for Ranka's "flashback)

Anybody know when OST 2 is due out?

Taksraven

I haven't even listened to even half of the soundtrack and I'm going to have to say......

BEST FREAKIN' ANIME SOUNDTRACK EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

at least wait til you finish the CD

i will get you OST in japan if you look like sheryl. if not fat chance.

Edited by ma2ha3

its so good to be a macross fan right now

You summed it all up right there. Outstanding series, outstanding soundtrack, we haven't had it so good in AGES.

The only dark cloud on the horizon is that the series must end and then are we going to have to wait another FIVE YEARS for more Macross? (If the quality is this good I know it kind of makes up for that, but its still annoying)

Taksraven

The only dark cloud on the horizon is that the series must end and then are we going to have to wait another FIVE YEARS for more Macross? (If the quality is this good I know it kind of makes up for that, but its still annoying)

Taksraven

If we don't get SOMETHING on February 7, 2009, I'm going to be somewhat peeved...

I have to say it: Macross + Yoko Kanno -> Platinum

I'm comparing the music score of Macross Frontier (Yoko Kanno) to Tsubasa Chronicle (Yuki Kajiura), both have several mystical theme, but I found Yoko Kanno much more superior ^_^

You summed it all up right there. Outstanding series, outstanding soundtrack, we haven't had it so good in AGES.

Taksraven

pffft yea right...you mean after the OVA spinoffs, movie and models models models...then well have to wait five years heh

i swear its like kawamori and co got together and said "ok guys, lets do everything right this time"

wow this bridge in iteza is very cool

I have to say it: Macross + Yoko Kanno -> Platinum

I'm comparing the music score of Macross Frontier (Yoko Kanno) to Tsubasa Chronicle (Yuki Kajiura), both have several mystical theme, but I found Yoko Kanno much more superior ^_^

I think Macross has been very fortunate in having the composers and musicians it's had over the years...from Kentaro Haneda and Mari Iijima, to Shiro Sagisu, to Yoshiki Fukuyama and Chie Kajiura, to Kuniaki Haishima and Holy Raz...but Yoko Kanno and the vocalists and musicians she works with surpass ANY of the others...

I think using May'n for Sheryl was an especially brilliant choice, since she has a unique voice...I can't come up with a good way to describe it...sometimes it's pure and lovely, like on "Diamond Cravasse," but on "Don't Be Late," it sounds like broken safety glass...and I mean that in a VERY good way.

The lyrics to Welcome to my Fanclub's night has the words "Don't be Late" in it, and "S.O.S." means "Sheryl On Stage". I don't have time to romanize this stuff, perhaps someone else could?

Can you hear me? My lovely boys & girls.

滑り出した奇跡は 今 (1) already catch your heart.

さぁSTAND UP! 5G くらいで飛ばせ!

私は 今 I realize that I live.

ここにいるわ

FEEL! I'm a shinin' STAR!

星座ミラーボールカラー 舞って

プラネット・ホーム三番街で

盛り上がれ!エンジン・オンボート!!

Welcome to my fan club's night! S.O.S.!

超空間で 誘惑 流星デート?

超高速ロマンティック! あなたへ!

Vibration 今ひとつに 心揺らせ

トキメキを超えて

Can you hear my voice? Be good boys & girls.

今 確かに感じてての 一体感 everywhere

Don't you fell it? 最終警告

アゲル周波数 踊れ! shouting through

We'll enjoy a day today!

(Then) I sing a love song for you.

リズムキープと相俟って

Step by! Keep on step! Oh yeah.

今ここでフィルイン! Don't be late!!

超満員のパンク寸前でもう trance

超高速ロマンティック!あなたへ!

Sheryl on Stage!

I love Zero Hour, I think I'm one of the few who do. I love trance *__*

Private Army is another great little track that few have mentioned.

Taksraven

I think using May'n for Sheryl was an especially brilliant choice, since she has a unique voice...I can't come up with a good way to describe it...sometimes it's pure and lovely, like on "Diamond Cravasse," but on "Don't Be Late," it sounds like broken safety glass...and I mean that in a VERY good way.

can't agree with you more. i don't want to do a Sheryl vs Ranka, as both singers are excellent and have their place and purpose in delivering the audio feel of the series, but in tems of depth and range of expression May'n simply outclasses the Ranka voice.

this hasn't stopped me though from enjoying Ranka's What 'bout my star and actually preferring it the Sheryl version. the arrangement in the Folmo version suited Ranka's voice more. perfect example of using the right talent for the right feel, same goes for Sheryl in the songs she does.

on a different tone, er, note, Private Army is rapidly climbing up my faves list. again, reminds me of something from GITS, but nonetheless unique on its own.

Zero Hour - It wouldn't surprise me if Kawamori explicitly told Yoko Kanno to base this song off of a certain 80's film featuring the F-14 Tomcat.

Alto's Theme - This song takes me back to the really good old days of Wolf's Rain

Tally Ho! - Go! Aquarion!

I think Fukuyama WAS kind of acting when he did Basara..."Get Free," for example, definitely doesn't sound like a Fire Bomber song (although some of the Humming Bird stuff does).

And yes, that IS a cover of "Papa Don't Preach." I MUST FIND THAT SINGLE! Sheryl singing Madonna could almost, ALMOST be better than Hikaru and Minmay's "Blowin' in the Wind" duet!

Sorry I didn't respond earlier, got buried in all these new posts here.

I can't for the life of me remember what book it was in, but Fukuyama did mention in some interview that he just sang the M7 songs naturally, but that they weren't written originally for him so that they would be in a style he wasn't used to, or something like that. Afterwards, with the songs he composed himself like My Soul for You and Starlight Dream he managed to find the right balance. But I recall he had issues with Seventh Moon, or something...

As for Get Free, well, that was a good five years or so after M7 first aired and Hummingbird had moved on musically since then anyway. Even if you compare it to Hummingbird songs around the time of M7, they rock harder, because that's the kind of album "Unsweet" was, and that came after.

So yeah, if by "acting" you mean that he had to make his voice fit the particular arrangement of FB songs, as opposed to singing on his own HB songs (which he had control over the arrangement of), then yeah, I guess you could argue that. But that has more to do with the feel of the particular arrangements of each song, rather than him having a "Basara" voice and a "normal" voice. This is most obvious when you compare the songs which have both Fire Bomber and HummingBird versions.

It's nice to know I wasn't imagining the Independence Day riffs (Frontier 2059 and The Target most notably) being jacked for the MacF OST, but it still works...

Edited by Bill C.

Sorry I didn't respond earlier, got buried in all these new posts here.

I can't for the life of me remember what book it was in, but Fukuyama did mention in some interview that he just sang the M7 songs naturally, but that they weren't written originally for him so that they would be in a style he wasn't used to, or something like that. Afterwards, with the songs he composed himself like My Soul for You and Starlight Dream he managed to find the right balance. But I recall he had issues with Seventh Moon, or something...

As for Get Free, well, that was a good five years or so after M7 first aired and Hummingbird had moved on musically since then anyway. Even if you compare it to Hummingbird songs around the time of M7, they rock harder, because that's the kind of album "Unsweet" was, and that came after.

So yeah, if by "acting" you mean that he had to make his voice fit the particular arrangement of FB songs, as opposed to singing on his own HB songs (which he had control over the arrangement of), then yeah, I guess you could argue that. But that has more to do with the feel of the particular arrangements of each song, rather than him having a "Basara" voice and a "normal" voice. This is most obvious when you compare the songs which have both Fire Bomber and HummingBird versions.

I stand corrected. After listening to "Get Free" (which for a long time I didn't even realize was the same singer) "Fukuyama Fire" (on which he sounds...well, almost bloodthirsty), I figured it was a conscious decision on Fukuyama's part to sound more youthful and optimistic on the Fire Bomber songs. That said, the only Humming Bird album I have is "1.2.3," which sounds like the "great, lost Fire Bomber album," and not just because a few M7 songs get reworked for it...it really sounds like Basara is singing those songs. But I guess years of "Holy Lonely Light"-style screaming takes its toll on one's voice...

(On a somewhat related note, I FINALLY found Chie Kajiura's first album last weekend, and it really sounds like it could be a Mylene solo album, if she'd taken some LSD before arranging the songs...)

Back to Frontier, I agree with everyone who likes the "@FORMO" version of "What 'bout my star" better than Sheryl's, but I'm a sucker for songs that start slow and gradually speed up.

can't agree with you more. i don't want to do a Sheryl vs Ranka, as both singers are excellent and have their place and purpose in delivering the audio feel of the series, but in tems of depth and range of expression May'n simply outclasses the Ranka voice.

this hasn't stopped me though from enjoying Ranka's What 'bout my star and actually preferring it the Sheryl version. the arrangement in the Folmo version suited Ranka's voice more. perfect example of using the right talent for the right feel, same goes for Sheryl in the songs she does.

on a different tone, er, note, Private Army is rapidly climbing up my faves list. again, reminds me of something from GITS, but nonetheless unique on its own.

Private Army is great...one of the tracks that really grabbed me in the show, and that I hoped would be on the album.

As for Ranka vs. Sheryl...I think May'n is MEANT to outclass Megumi. Sheryl is the professional, with skill and virtuosity, whereas Ranka has the untrained, "pure" voice, where enthusiasm and energy count for half of the appeal, and cuteness makes up the other half.

I still really want to hear May'n's old singles, when she was still Nakabayashi Mei, but I don't know how readily available they are...

The Miss Macross (panty chasing) theme is not there, the Attack the Vajra theme is not there. There should be an OST 2, I mean, the cover has OST 1 on it. They shouldn't have put the number if there wouldn't be a follow-up to it :lol:

By "Attack the Vajra", do you mean the music they played when Klan first fights the Vajra in Episode 4, "Miss Macross"? I thought that track was awesome, and am disappointed it isn't in this volume. I also wish they had Ranka's version of "My Boyfriend is a Pilot" too from that episode...

I want to shoot whoever did the EAC .ape release. Its unburnable. :angry:

Are you talking about burning to CD? Just use the APE software (http://www.monkeysaudio.com) to decompress to WAV, then use your favorite authoring software to burn the WAVs into a CD.

But I must profess amazement that anyone still burns to CD anymore...

It's nice to know I wasn't imagining the Independence Day riffs (Frontier 2059 and The Target most notably) being jacked for the MacF OST, but it still works...

Asides from the riffs that everyone else noticed, Kanno just TOTALLY ripped off the "Breaking the Sound Barrier" theme from the movie "The Right Stuff." You can hear it in the Deculture edition when Alto first flies off from the school in the EX gear. But I guess everyone here is too young to remember that movie. (Not to mention the fact that the composer for "The Right Stuff" himself plundered heavily from Tchaikovsky and others for that score.)

Overall, I would have loved this album IF it had come out a month or two ago. Unfortunately, a lot of the tracks that I was dying to get earlier, like "The Target", just aren't that fresh anymore.

Anyway, I'm still enjoying listening to it -- but now I'm already dying for the next album...

Don't forget that they blatantly stole a bit of the soundtrack from Starship Troopers for Macross Zero. :)

Taksraven

Private Army is great...one of the tracks that really grabbed me in the show, and that I hoped would be on the album.

As for Ranka vs. Sheryl...I think May'n is MEANT to outclass Megumi. Sheryl is the professional, with skill and virtuosity, whereas Ranka has the untrained, "pure" voice, where enthusiasm and energy count for half of the appeal, and cuteness makes up the other half.

I still really want to hear May'n's old singles, when she was still Nakabayashi Mei, but I don't know how readily available they are...

Well the May'n and Megumi situation kinda mirrors Sheryl and Ranka... except May'n commercially flopped and she isn't Megumi's "idol" lol. But May'n won her talent search (chosen out of 35k people) in 2005 and Megumi won the Macross talent search in 07, so May'n has a 2 year head start (which seems to be the head start Sheryl has over Ranka since it looks like 2057 was Sheryl's break out year). So she's more experienced, already released a few singles.

Anyway aren't these her two singles from back in the day?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VonpBW53YfU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgNcv2eao7c...feature=related

But I guess everyone here is too young to remember that movie. (Not to mention the fact that the composer for "The Right Stuff" himself plundered heavily from Tchaikovsky and others for that score.)

Hey! This ain't NarutoWorld, you know!! :lol: Yeah, I'm sure most of us know The Right Stuff.

Besides, if I quote that same post of yours here:

Overall, I would have loved this album IF it had come out a month or two ago. Unfortunately, a lot of the tracks that I was dying to get earlier, like "The Target", just aren't that fresh anymore.

and here:

But I must profess amazement that anyone still burns to CD anymore...

... I think it's you who sounds as if of a younger mindset... Kids today...!! :rolleyes:

Only joking :p

OK as great as this OST is, I'm really disappointed that the "Next ep preview music" isn't on it!! Or did I miss it (I've only listened to it once through so far)...? Oh, well, roll on the next album.....

Apart from that, mostly AWESOME tracks here. That opening track (Frontier 2059) is amazing. Infinity is my favourite Sheryl song; Ranka gets a bit shafted, I could have done without the Nyan-nyan and Ninjin songs, though Aimo and What 'bout my Star are great.

(On a somewhat related note, I FINALLY found Chie Kajiura's first album last weekend, and it really sounds like it could be a Mylene solo album, if she'd taken some LSD before arranging the songs...)

Back to Frontier, I agree with everyone who likes the "@FORMO" version of "What 'bout my star" better than Sheryl's, but I'm a sucker for songs that start slow and gradually speed up.

I've been searching for Chie Kajiura's albums for years.... Gave up long ago. I have a couple of singles, though, and she certainly does like her 70s psychedelic groove thing.

Agreed with the Formo track. Her voice sounds great, beats the Sheryl version.