Macross Frontier music

For those who can't read Japanese:

1. Frontier 2059

2. Welcome To My FanClub’s Night! (Sheryl On Stage)

Lyrics: hal

Vocals: May’n

3. What ’bout my star? (Sheryl On Stage)

4. 射手座☆午後九時Don’t be late (Sheryl On Stage)

Lyrics: Dai Sato, hal, Mike Sugiyama

5. Vital Force

6. トライアングラー (Triangler)

Lyrics: Gabriela Robin

Vocals: Maaya Sakamoto

7. Zero Hour

8. What ’bout my star? @Formo

Vocals: Megumi Nakajima, May’n

9. Innocent green

10. アイモ (Aimo)

Lyrics: Gabriela Robin

Vocals: Megumi Nakajima

11. ビッグ・ボーイズ (Big Boys)

12. Private Army

13. SMS小隊の歌〜あの娘はエイリアン (SMS Squadron Song ~ That Girl is an Alien)

Lyrics: Eiji Kurokawa

Vocals: SMS Squad

14. ニンジーン Loves you yeah ! (Ninjiin Loves you yeah!)

Lyrics: Hiroshi Ichikura

15.「超時空飯店 娘々」 CMソング(Ranka Version)(Super Dimensional Chinese Restaurant Nyan Nyan CM Song)

Lyrics: Hiroyuki Yoshino

16. Alto’s Theme

17. TALLY HO!

18. The Target

19. Bajura

20. キラキラ (Kirakira)

21. アイモ〜鳥のひと (Aimo~Bird Man)

Lyrics: Gabriela Robin, Maaya Sakamoto

22. Take Off

23. インフィニティ (Infinity)

Lyrics: Yuuho Iwasato

24. ダイアモンド クレバス (Diamond Crevasse)

Vocals: May'n

Edited by mike_s_6

The karaoke version of the carrot song has leaked... and so has the Yoko Kanno-sang demo version :ph34r: I could say she only did one take on the song and didn't bother to clean it up, haha, it's so cute but kind of embarrassing for a composer to be singing a demo like this :lol:

of course there is a connection with macross zero

soon they are going to make a movie call legend of zero

starring sheryl and ranka

Yes...we know that NOW. We didn't know that on April 29, when I first posted the track list. We also didn't know what Formo was, or exactly WHY ニンジーン loves us yeah.

The karaoke version of the carrot song has leaked... and so has the Yoko Kanno-sang demo version :ph34r: I could say she only did one take on the song and didn't bother to clean it up, haha, it's so cute but kind of embarrassing for a composer to be singing a demo like this :lol:

KY sang a version of the carrot song?? :o Where can you find it? :)

Actually I've read that Kanno sings demo versions of songs and sends/shows them to the actual singer as a way of showing how she wants that track done. I think Steve Conte mentioned that in an interview.

Actually I've read that Kanno sings demo versions of songs and sends/shows them to the actual singer as a way of showing how she wants that track done. I think Steve Conte mentioned that in an interview.

================================================================================

5. Could you describe us the different steps of a recording sequence with

Yoko Kanno ?

she usually sends me an mp3 of the song with her singing the melody (she is very shy about her voice but it's REALLY cute!) and i learn the basics.

================================================================================

This is a transcription of a French interview with Steve Conte.

I'm trying to find the website right now but I can't, but this interview is also uploaded in For Fans Only (Yoko Kanno Yahoo group) in original French, and there's an English translation by one of the fans.

EDIT: Come to think of it, you might have reacted to my "embarrassing" comment, what I meant was, I found it embarrassing that an unpolished version of the song leaked, and it's her voice we're listening to in the unpolished version! (She deserves nothing but the best!!! lolz)

Edited by mike_s_6

So i wanna own an original Frontier songs CD....but not a fan of singles. Think they will eventually release a "Best of Macross Frontier" CD or something so i just need to buy 1 CD for all the songs i love?

So i wanna own an original Frontier songs CD....but not a fan of singles. Think they will eventually release a "Best of Macross Frontier" CD or something so i just need to buy 1 CD for all the songs i love?

If all the CDs hit the Oricon chart like "Triangler" did, then definitely. Otherwise, there will probably be at least a few songs on the 30th Anniversary CD that I'm sure will come out, or a Hong Kong bootleg featuring all the singles together...

What exactly does pholmo/formo means?

Anyway i can already imagine the song being played during some major battle if not the final battle. Sounds awesome.

Edited by wolfx

What exactly does pholmo/formo means?

Anyway i can already imagine the song being played during some major battle if not the final battle. Sounds awesome.

Exedol Folmo. ;) Another homage.

If all the CDs hit the Oricon chart like "Triangler" did, then definitely. Otherwise, there will probably be at least a few songs on the 30th Anniversary CD that I'm sure will come out, or a Hong Kong bootleg featuring all the singles together...

The Diamond Crevasse single has also been in the Weekly Charts Top 10 for 3 weeks now. I wonder how the OST 1 will do. There's a lot of competition over the albums charts, right?

The Diamond Crevasse single has also been in the Weekly Charts Top 10 for 3 weeks now. I wonder how the OST 1 will do. There's a lot of competition over the albums charts, right?

Well...I could be wrong about this, but the impression I've always gotten of the Japanese music market is that it's like the charts used to be here in the '60s and before...where singles were for the casual listener, and only real fanatics would shell out the money for the albums. So the singles selling well is good, but the album selling well would mean that there are a lot of people who REALLY like the music.

Of course, the world of anime soundtracks may work differently than the world of J-Pop...in which case, disregard everything I've said. :p

Well...I could be wrong about this, but the impression I've always gotten of the Japanese music market is that it's like the charts used to be here in the '60s and before...where singles were for the casual listener, and only real fanatics would shell out the money for the albums. So the singles selling well is good, but the album selling well would mean that there are a lot of people who REALLY like the music.

Of course, the world of anime soundtracks may work differently than the world of J-Pop...in which case, disregard everything I've said. :p

I think so, which is why there are so many novelty singles and they all do really well... I don't really see the OST album breaking out over to the main J-Pop charts. Having said that, it still boggles the mind as to why and how this single managed to get so high up, since many stores didn't stock it, and in the individual store charts it often isn't listed, not to mention the almost total lack of promotion for it. It certainly doesn't help that MacF is on at ungodly hours of the night, so who even knew about this song before even considering to buy the single, let alone actually find it in a shop and make a purchase?

As it's an anime CD, it seems the production run is smaller than mainstream singles, so if the chart is based on sales, then there's a limit to how high this thing can go. I mean, in Akihabara it sold out in the first day, I read in 2chan. There's something funny going on here.

I think so, which is why there are so many novelty singles and they all do really well... I don't really see the OST album breaking out over to the main J-Pop charts. Having said that, it still boggles the mind as to why and how this single managed to get so high up, since many stores didn't stock it, and in the individual store charts it often isn't listed, not to mention the almost total lack of promotion for it. It certainly doesn't help that MacF is on at ungodly hours of the night, so who even knew about this song before even considering to buy the single, let alone actually find it in a shop and make a purchase?

As it's an anime CD, it seems the production run is smaller than mainstream singles, so if the chart is based on sales, then there's a limit to how high this thing can go. I mean, in Akihabara it sold out in the first day, I read in 2chan. There's something funny going on here.

Dude, are you trying to say that Shingo Mama was JUST A NOVELTY??? ^_^

That's a good point about the production run...and yeah, coupled with the lack of promotionand the ungodliness of MF's broadcast time, plus the fact that Maaya Sakamoto is hardly a huge star in the J-Pop world...how DID the single get so high up the charts? :blink:

Dude, are you trying to say that Shingo Mama was JUST A NOVELTY??? ^_^

That's a good point about the production run...and yeah, coupled with the lack of promotionand the ungodliness of MF's broadcast time, plus the fact that Maaya Sakamoto is hardly a huge star in the J-Pop world...how DID the single get so high up the charts? :blink:

It's good to note though that during the weeks that Triangler was up in the charts, there was not much competition from big artists either. But of course, not too many fans mentioned that so as not to dampen the feelings of the community. But... there you go. Maaya's best single was Kiseki no Umi, which even not being popular, came to sell quite well also. But now we have an internationally renowned animation, Macross, then there's the fans of Yoko Kanno too, add to the fact that it's their "reunion song", coupled with a low competition on the charts, seem to have kept Triangler on the top 10 of the charts for 4 weeks.

As for the sales, I do have *some figures*, which do say that somehow, the Macross CDs are selling (more so for OST 1, and it's just pre-orders!). I'm also buying it. The most recent CDs of Kanno before Macross have had the fans torn whether they like the music or not, but this one, the fans sing in near unison that the music is great. Haven't you guys ordered it yet?

I'd say the OST 1 makes it at least to the top 20 on its first week. *sits tight*

full version of infinity is also on youtube now too :)

infinity was leaked a few days among other songs if you're looking for them in audio format.

got mine from kresphy...thanks

Edited by MUGETSU

It's good to note though that during the weeks that Triangler was up in the charts, there was not much competition from big artists either. But of course, not too many fans mentioned that so as not to dampen the feelings of the community. But... there you go. Maaya's best single was Kiseki no Umi, which even not being popular, came to sell quite well also. But now we have an internationally renowned animation, Macross, then there's the fans of Yoko Kanno too, add to the fact that it's their "reunion song", coupled with a low competition on the charts, seem to have kept Triangler on the top 10 of the charts for 4 weeks.

As for the sales, I do have *some figures*, which do say that somehow, the Macross CDs are selling (more so for OST 1, and it's just pre-orders!). I'm also buying it. The most recent CDs of Kanno before Macross have had the fans torn whether they like the music or not, but this one, the fans sing in near unison that the music is great. Haven't you guys ordered it yet?

I'd say the OST 1 makes it at least to the top 20 on its first week. *sits tight*

I certainly hope it will!

I haven't pre-ordered it...I'll just drop by Kinokuniya next Tuesday and pick it up there...

It's good to note though that during the weeks that Triangler was up in the charts, there was not much competition from big artists either. But of course, not too many fans mentioned that so as not to dampen the feelings of the community.

There sure was. There was that novelty single from Suuchishinn or whatever they're called (they're really popular amongst the people that count: middle-aged-to-old ladies, little girls, celebrity-obsessed teens, etc. and were no.1 for a while because of their overkill promotion antics -- mini concerts and talks all across the country, guests on every TV show, etc, not to mention the very reason for their existence: their popular "hopelessness" on TV quiz shows); the mighty newcomer Superfly was also there, and she's just brought out her first album about two weeks which is still top of the charts and the limited edition version which includes a DVD is already sold out everywhere (bastard scalpers); and don't forget B'z also brought out a new single about that time, plus it's their 20th anniversary so they're selling like there's no tomorrow. Even though they still suck after all these years.

So I don't think it's fair to say there was no competition, it was pretty stiff.

But... there you go. Maaya's best single was Kiseki no Umi, which even not being popular, came to sell quite well also. But now we have an internationally renowned animation, Macross, then there's the fans of Yoko Kanno too, add to the fact that it's their "reunion song", coupled with a low competition on the charts, seem to have kept Triangler on the top 10 of the charts for 4 weeks.

It would really surprise me to find that there are that many to make such a huge influence. There's a new Yoko Kanno CM album out right now, but I don't see that flying off the shelves, or even stocked very abundantly, there's only a couple of copies per store. And no, I highly doubt it's because they all sold so well that there's none left.

Please show these figures, I'm very interested and somehow hope to document all this. As for the OST, well, anything's possible. The data may or may not be there to show good sales... but either way one certainly cannot notice this from the total radio and PR silence coming from the Macross camp.

All I'm saying is that the "popularity" as can be deduced from the charts (since we don't have sales figures) does not correlate to the lack of publicity around the country. Why aren't HMV and Tower Records stocking loads of these CDs and setting up huge displays like they are with, say, Superfly or even Perfume?

It seems really strange... And checking on Amazon, in their top music bestsellers the Diamond Crevasse single was the No.1 or No2 top seller (pre-orders count, apparently), with Triangular also in the top 5, can't remember where. Bz were in there too. And if you look at it now -- http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/bestsellers/music/ref=sv_m_3 -- The OST album is right at the top. It's currently beating Amie Namuro, Perfume and Bz. Diamond Crevasse is still on 16th place. It's... weird.

There sure was. There was that novelty single from Suuchishinn or whatever they're called (they're really popular amongst the people that count: middle-aged-to-old ladies, little girls, celebrity-obsessed teens, etc. and were no.1 for a while because of their overkill promotion antics -- mini concerts and talks all across the country, guests on every TV show, etc, not to mention the very reason for their existence: their popular "hopelessness" on TV quiz shows); the mighty newcomer Superfly was also there, and she's just brought out her first album about two weeks which is still top of the charts and the limited edition version which includes a DVD is already sold out everywhere (bastard scalpers); and don't forget B'z also brought out a new single about that time, plus it's their 20th anniversary so they're selling like there's no tomorrow. Even though they still suck after all these years.

So I don't think it's fair to say there was no competition, it was pretty stiff.

Triangler didn't debut on top, did it? Or did Triangler beat these artists?

It would really surprise me to find that there are that many to make such a huge influence. There's a new Yoko Kanno CM album out right now, but I don't see that flying off the shelves, or even stocked very abundantly, there's only a couple of copies per store. And no, I highly doubt it's because they all sold so well that there's none left.

The CM Yoko Album sold VERY well, it was initially released as an iTunes online downloads only, and it went on TOP of the downloads list, thus prompting a release of the CD. But of course, many of the fans who downloaded the album probably didn't buy the CD for... two bonus tracks. Not worth it, IMO.

http://www.cdjournal.com/main/interview/interview.php?ino=46

Translation (partial):

[ichikawa] It’s widely known that, in addition to releasing Anime and Movie OSTs and producing individual artist’s albums, Yoko Kanno is responsible for much CM music. That portion has only become available recently for download on iTunes as a compilation of CM music entitled ‘CM Yoko.’ At the time of this interview immediately after its release, it impressively reached the number one spot on the download rankings. I think it would be appropriate to say it was a highly anticipated release.

Please show these figures, I'm very interested and somehow hope to document all this. As for the OST, well, anything's possible. The data may or may not be there to show good sales... but either way one certainly cannot notice this from the total radio and PR silence coming from the Macross camp.

I emphasized *some figures* because they only come from the sales from the CD Japan Affiliates link in my humble website. The current stats for CM Yoko : Macross F OST 1 is 1 : 4. And these are just pre-orders. As for the real sales, we'll have to wait for Oricon and Soundscan for those when the OST is released. By the way... there are sales figures in Oricon, right? I didn't take note of the weekly sales figures so I can't add them up, and I can't find the tally anywhere: http://www.oricon.co.jp/rank/js/w/

All I'm saying is that the "popularity" as can be deduced from the charts (since we don't have sales figures) does not correlate to the lack of publicity around the country. Why aren't HMV and Tower Records stocking loads of these CDs and setting up huge displays like they are with, say, Superfly or even Perfume?

It seems really strange... And checking on Amazon, in their top music bestsellers the Diamond Crevasse single was the No.1 or No2 top seller (pre-orders count, apparently), with Triangular also in the top 5, can't remember where. Bz were in there too. And if you look at it now -- http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/bestsellers/music/ref=sv_m_3 -- The OST album is right at the top. It's currently beating Amie Namuro, Perfume and Bz. Diamond Crevasse is still on 16th place. It's... weird.

Agreed. Just wondering, how does Amazon make that top list? I can't read that much Japanese.

i mentioned this in the ep9 thread but thought i'd post it here too.

New insert song for Ranka (in the background during her "debut promotion")

"ねこ日記"

its not in the OST list... is it in Ranka Lee's singles?

seems like we're almost getting 1 new song each ep... interesting :)

EDIT: Typo... >.<

Edited by Shun

i mentioned this in the ep9 thread but thought i'd post it here too.

New insert song for Ranka (in the background during her "debut promotion")

"ねの日記"

its not in the OST list... is it in Ranka Lee's singles?

seems like we're almost getting 1 new song each ep... interesting :)

Neko Nikki - that's indeed in her debut single... the real thing of course. :lol: