Macross Frontier music

I know :(<_< And since it's a popular boy band there was no way the OST was going to sell more. That's not even fair competition to start off with if you ask me :lol:

Actually, one of the members of Kat-tun is a self-confessed otaku so he probably contributed to the OST's ranking by getting a copy himself.

Time to celebrate by playing the CD so loud I scare the neighbour's dogs. (The cats already run away...)

Just use Creative x-fi crystalizer. Low quality mp3's sounds a lot better, at least i think so.

And i don't even own a creative x-fi card, just an audigy-se with "good" drivers. That's if you own a creative sound card...

i dun have creative sound card

so i cannot compare

but mp3 + x-fi crystalizer < lossless - being proven on reviews

best to play it on CD on a highend model

Definitely Ranka's impromptu performance at The Folmo. Sheryl should just sing to small furry Vajra squirrels.

Infinithi sounds like a rip-off of a Gundam Seed closing song.

The BGM seems patterned after OSTs from Jerry Bruckheimer & Michael Bay movies, doesn't it? I think Kanno's opus was fully spent on GITS & 2nd Gig. At least we have fresh new themes for new times.

Infinithi sounds like a rip-off of a Gundam Seed closing song.

The BGM seems patterned after OSTs from Jerry Bruckheimer & Michael Bay movies, doesn't it? I think Kanno's opus was fully spent on GITS & 2nd Gig. At least we have fresh new themes for new times.

The start of Infinity has a similar sound to the start of Kimi wa Boku no Niteiru (Gundam SEED DESTINY ED 4), that's it. Very different songs after that and the start just has a similar sound, the melody is different, I listened to Kimi wa a lot back in the day since I'm a big fan of Kajuira/See Saw. And yes Kanno clearly patterned herself after John Williams and Hans Zimmer works for Frontier (not that there's anything wrong with that...), the closest she got to ripping them off was Big Boys though. She's a lot closer to plagiarism on those GITS soundtracks... Cyberbird compared to Hooverphonic's Blue Wonder for instance...

The start of Infinity has a similar sound to the start of Kimi wa Boku no Niteiru (Gundam SEED DESTINY ED 4), that's it. Very different songs after that and the start just has a similar sound, the melody is different, I listened to Kimi wa a lot back in the day since I'm a big fan of Kajuira/See Saw. And yes Kanno clearly patterned herself after John Williams and Hans Zimmer works for Frontier (not that there's anything wrong with that...), the closest she got to ripping them off was Big Boys though. She's a lot closer to plagiarism on those GITS soundtracks... Cyberbird compared to Hooverphonic's Blue Wonder for instance...

It's Batter Sea by Hooverphonic. I think the Big Boys piece is definitely not plagiarism, but it was clearly inspired from it.

well, let's not forget that escaflowne borrows rather heavily from carl orff's arrangement of O fortuna. yoko kanno has been borrowing for years... but then, hey, hans zimmer has been ripping off hans zimmer for his entire career :p And where would Johnny be without Wagner?

well, let's not forget that escaflowne borrows rather heavily from carl orff's arrangement of O fortuna. yoko kanno has been borrowing for years... but then, hey, hans zimmer has been ripping off hans zimmer for his entire career :p And where would Johnny be without Wagner?

do you think the amercian composer after hearing the CD will sue yoko??

maybe. the music sound like holloywood style movie music

which is good

do you think the amercian composer after hearing the CD will sue yoko??

maybe. the music sound like holloywood style movie music

which is good

Well the fans have contacted quite a few artists, but they don't think it's plagiarism. It seems as if the listeners' definition of plagiarism is different from the industry standard. The reply I got from Hooverphonic's email was the most surprising since I expected them to react adversely to the sample I sent them, but they sent me a one-liner along the lines of, "We don't think it's a plagiarism, but thank you for notifying us."

For me, as long as it's not a copy of the melody and arrangement, it's safe to say that it's only "inspired", as with the case of the Big Boys piece.

Just look around you right now... how many things/designs do you see are completely original ideas?

well, that's the big lie about art... there's no such thing as an original idea... everything is borrowed from somebody. Bo Diddley took his beat from native american drumbeats, but music fans rave about how 'original' his brand of rock was/is. John Williams owes much of his career to Wagner and Holst, and Tarantino has been ripping off hong kong movies for all of his career.

The reply I got from Hooverphonic's email was the most surprising since I expected them to react adversely to the sample I sent them, but they sent me a one-liner along the lines of, "We don't think it's a plagiarism, but thank you for notifying us."

Dude! What were you trying to do? Put Yoko into IP litigation hot soup??

Well the fans have contacted quite a few artists, but they don't think it's plagiarism. It seems as if the listeners' definition of plagiarism is different from the industry standard. The reply I got from Hooverphonic's email was the most surprising since I expected them to react adversely to the sample I sent them, but they sent me a one-liner along the lines of, "We don't think it's a plagiarism, but thank you for notifying us."

When I first read that a month or so ago the first thing that popped into my head was.. they must have "borrowed" that melody and arrangement from someone else lol. Either way my point stands, there's nothing on the Frontier OST that even comes close to Cyberbird/Batter Sea or Wolf's Rain "Cloud 9". I'm obviously a massive Kanno fan and hearing Cyberbird/Batter Sea and Cloud 9's original was disappointing, but Frontier OST 1 has nothing like those 2. For Frontier Kanno may have been inspired or "borrowed" from Williams and Zimmer but it's not like they haven't done the same with Wagner and others.

Guys, a composer cannot be sued for using music that "sounds" like someone elses unless it is EXACTLY the same thing. If you've ever listened to classical music, you would know that music sounds similar to other music all of the time. :)

Guys, a composer cannot be sued for using music that "sounds" like someone elses unless it is EXACTLY the same thing. If you've ever listened to classical music, you would know that music sounds similar to other music all of the time. :)

that is correct. although to qualify that, it doesn't have to be the whole song/piece. taking or sampling a segment and using/integrating it unmodified is a no no.

advertising agencies typically shift keys and "break" a few notes here and there when adapting a popular tune for use in a jingle or BGM. i've commissioned some ads before and often cite music i'm familiar with when i brief the agency. a couple of times they came back with heavily modified tunes that i could still recognize so to be on the safeside i asked the agency to secure artist permission despite their assurances that it wasn't necessary. true enough, it wasn't. in both cases, the artists concurred that it was already a different tune.

what i learned is that: th hmn brn s vry gd n rcgnzng pttrns. if you understood that last phrase even though i took out all the vowels then you know what i'm talking about. same thing applies to music.

edit:

Battersea and Cyberbird are two of my all-time faves and usually follow eachother in my playlists. though i immediately thought of Battersea when i first heard Cyberbird, i dismissed plagiarism after just a few listens. about the only thing they share is the tonal quality of the vocals.

btw, at the risk of being further OT, appreciate if anyone can point me to a video of Cyberbird performed live. i've always wondered how they managed to pull off those sweet drum sequences. thanks

Edited by Major Focker

I don't know about you guys, but when I'm listening to Zero Hour, this is what flashes in my mind: Top Gun, Gurren Lagann, and PoC.

Darn, Yoko Kanno is too much to me, she could screw up my mind into this state :wacko:

Edited by Morpheus

A youtube video that compiles Kanno's works and where she presumably stole "inspired" from.

There are 3 vids so just follow the "related links".

Edited by wolfx

Man after watching the vids i feel like i was slapped in the face. All this while i thought Yoko Kanno was a musical genius but turns out she's just a very good remixer. :(

Man after watching the vids i feel like i was slapped in the face. All this while i thought Yoko Kanno was a musical genius but turns out she's just a very good remixer. :(

Ummm..... what? She IS a musical genius, she's composed a crap load of awesome music. :p So she can remix stuff, that's fine. :)

i heard the lossless one, later the mp3. sorry, no such cd on sale in this country, i am going to japan anyway next month.

does anyone agree that mp3 are piece of poo.

on my sennheiser, lossless is 100 times better than mp3.

i delete the mp3 immediately.

i would get the cd next month. who can listen to mp3 poo.

to the rest of you, buy the CD if you can, dun even bother with the mp3 one.

Audio Elitists are so annoying.

A good rip to 320cbr mp3 is just fine, especially on average equipment like 99% of us own. I run an emu 0404usb to my Grado SR-225s, and this ost in 320 sounds just fine. Obviously, the lossless one sounds better, but its not like night and day or anything. I don't know what sennheisers you have, but unless the answer is "HD595 or above", your Senns likely aren't awesome enough for you to be able to tell much of a difference.

Edited by Cowboy17

meh, some of those 'copies' are really stretching... and some of the 'origin' pieces I've heard before... some of it is very similar, like the tom waits stuff.

I wonder though, given how incestuous western music is... again, please see hans zimmer, john williams, all rap stars, nearly all metal, nearly all R&B, pop, trance, drum and bass... I wonder how much of this is driven by good old fashion jealousy?

Audio Elitists are so annoying.

A good rip to 320cbr mp3 is just fine, especially on average equipment like 99% of us own. I run an emu 0404usb to my Grado SR-225s, and this ost in 320 sounds just fine. Obviously, the lossless one sounds better, but its not like night and day or anything. I don't know what sennheisers you have, but unless the answer is "HD595 or above", your Senns likely aren't awesome enough for you to be able to tell much of a difference.

meh, any decent speaker/headphones are all you need to tell the difference between compressed and lossless. I agree the 100% difference claim is a bit exaggerated though.

meh, any decent speaker/headphones are all you need to tell the difference between compressed and lossless. I agree the 100% difference claim is a bit exaggerated though.

It's not worth bragging about though. Plus FLAC files are much bigger and can't be put on MP3 players.

Edited by MisaForever

It's not worth bragging about though. Plus FLAC files are much bigger and can't be put on MP3 players.

Definitely true. It's one thing to listen to lossless at home but when I'm walking around downtown or driving, lossless just doesn't matter.

Hard copies FTW. That's why I always go lossless.

You can't make a full CD of this from FLAC because it won't fit :p

Heck, I noticed that the MP3's barely fit themselves.

Edited by MisaForever

You can't make a full CD of this from FLAC because it won't fit :p

Heck, I noticed that the MP3's barely fit themselves.

I made a CD from the FLAC's no problem :huh:

And I converted them to Apple Lossless m4a for the iPod...

I'm not sure why this comes as a surprise to some. Yoko Kanno is primarily a music producer much in the same way as the likes of Paul Oakenfold. It is Yoko Kanno's ear for building new music from existing arrangements that makes her amazing. She is known as much for her skill at fusing her own musical sensibilities into a wide variety of other genres as she is for her own original tracks. It may be overstating her resume somewhat, but Yoko Kanno is very much like other virtuoso producers such as Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois. Kanno is fantastic and deserves her credit in my opinion.

As for music in general, there is no genre of music that is more or less original than any other, a good lesson for the anti-rap posse here at MW. Even during the peak era of rock, the great bands like Led Zeppelin or The Beatles came under intense fire for supposedly stealing tunes, arrangements or lyrics from other genres and earlier artists. It still happens today. The recent Red Hot Chili Peppers versus Tom Petty debacle comes to mind. I still hear bits and pieces of tracks from various artists repeated in songs, sometimes spread over decades or more. Sometimes the tracks are so similar the songs are completely lifted from other artists, like much of the music from Jet. Other times a similar arrangement may lead to a totally different song altogether. Check out Morning Glory by Oasis and compare the rhythm guitar to REM's

. Edited by Mr March

Those 3 vids are like less than 1% of her total work....