Remake - The Day the Earth Stood Still

Here it comes......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Day_the_E...%282008_film%29

I can imagine it now.

The climactic speech at the end from Klaatu....

"Either work with us or continue on your present path and be destroyed, dudes"

Its going to be great. I am sure.

Taksraven

Do you guys still see Keanu Reeves as one half of Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure?

Nah, I see him as the surfer detective in Point Break!

No way, way, Dude!

Taksraven

Edited by taksraven

I'm not sure whether or not to cry out, "Boguuuss!" or simply say, "whoa" at this development. :)

At the end of the new The Day the Earth Stood Still, Neo Theodore Ted Logan Klatu will leave the people of Earth with these words of wisdom and peace...

"Be excellent to each other... PARTY ON, DUDES!".

• 2 weeks later...
Keanu Reeves as Klaatu?WTF?Why don't they take a dump on Robert Wise's grave while they're at it.I'm sure the hipster poseur crowd that likes the new BattleStar Galactica will cream themsemves.Hollywood really needs to stop mining the past and leave the classic the hell alone.

The old Battlestar Galactica is a classic...? When did that happen?

KLAATU :

"We have come to visit you in peace --

and with good will." , Dude .

CROWD :

No Way , Dude . Whoa! :blink:

This is gonna be ... well you know, Dude.

**Prediction time**

I bet that in this version that in this new version, Klaatu gets to kiss the single mom chick, DUDE!!!!!

And the chick will have to qualify as a MILF! DUDE!!!!!

Taksraven

• 2 months later...
The old Battlestar Galactica is a classic...? When did that happen?

Well, according to some people, the original Battlestar Galactica series was the best SF EVER MADE! Yeah right!

Its about as good as the Buck Rogers that was made around the same time. I got the DVD of series one of that and regretted it. It was better when I was eight.

Taksraven

Trailer for the remake is up.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/thedayth...till/large.html

Looks really weird. Think I will stick with the original. According to the Wikipedia article on the film, its about man vs nature as opposed to the Cold War man vs man theme. What a load of bollocks!

Taksraven

Saw the trailer tonight in front of Hancock. Looked okay, but something felt off, like it wasn't very cohesive, like maybe the people making it didn't really know what they wanted out of it.

Yeah, thats the vibe I was picking up on too. Was Hancock any good?

Taksraven

It was okay... Peter Berg doesn't really handle the fight choreography very well so the action sequences just never gelled. The music was underwhelming... it kinda strove for a Superman-ish feel but like the action, never quite gets there. The visual effects are okay as well. Nothing offensive but never really great.

All the principle actos have good chemistry and Will Smith is pretty hilarious.

So... yeah. As an action movie, it's kinda 'meh' but it works okay as an action comedy and it certainly works better than that Luke Wilson/Uma Thurmon superhero-action-comedy.

Well, according to some people, the original Battlestar Galactica series was the best SF EVER MADE! Yeah right!

Its about as good as the Buck Rogers that was made around the same time. I got the DVD of series one of that and regretted it. It was better when I was eight.

Taksraven

You got the Buck Rogers DVD set...? Ouch. Yeah, I liked it (and BSG) when I was a kid, but I remember enough to know that wouldn't like them now...bidi bidi bidi.

Judging from the trailer, it seemed less like the "If man proceeds down this path, he will be a threat to the universe, and must be stopped," and more like "You guys are messing up this planet, quit it... dudes." I don't know if I can get behind that. It just seems kind of stupid that an advanced alien civilization would care what we were doing to our own little rock on the edge of nowhere. But my friends will probably take me to see this anyway.

It smelled (reeked) of PC eco-geek propaganda. As if Al Gore was the Executive Producer.

Ignoring the actor, that annoys me more than anything.

=

Correction: The fact that they are making a remake AT ALL is what really annoys me.

There is a LONG list of remakes of classics that sucked.

Name even one remake of a "classic" that did not defile the memory of the original. Please.

=

Name even one remake of a "classic" that did not defile the memory of the original. Please.

The Fly

Invasion of the Body Snatchers ('70s and '90s versions)

Little Shop of Horrors

Most adaptations of Jane Austen novels

Pretty much all other remakes suck, though...but they often make money, which is the sole point.

Edited by Gubaba

=

The remake of 1984 made in 1984 was pretty good. Can't really be called a remake of the 1950's version since they were both just based on the novel.

The 1979 telemovie remake of All Quiet on the Western Front was absolutely brilliant. I show students that film and they find it hard to believe that things in a war could be that bad.

The John Carpenter remake of The Thing was outstanding.

I also preferred the more recent version of War of the Worlds to the 1950's attempt . (I still think that the true definitive version of that is to be made. Set in the proper location and era with the true horror of the invasion.)

Yes, I will agree with you though. 9 out of 10 remakes are absolute garbage.

Taksraven

"After becoming one with the Matrix, I have returned to you humans to tell you that your virtual earth is all polluted so now you have to die for the virtual earth to be able to survive."

"After becoming one with the Matrix, I have returned to you humans to tell you that your virtual earth is all polluted so now you have to die for the virtual earth to be able to survive."

That's not a very Optimus thing to say.

Wait, wrong Matrix.