CG Star Wars movie in theatres this august

lord_breetai

was this written by lucas?

If so, I just can't wait to see all the great ideas he has to show and all the more unbelievable coincidences that'll occur. I wager we'll find out that Greedo is Lando's stepbrother, gungans are just hairless wookies, and the Force is a major cause of greenhouse gasses.

Sarcasm aside, it wouldn't surprise me to see ysalamari show up. That's not a good thing.

OK, so if I get this straight this new "movie" is Uncle George re-doing the successful Cartoon Network Clone Wars show with his own animation and his own "slant" which is to lead into another animated clone wars tv series?

Why does this sound like deja vu to me? What happened to the live action show about all the stuff between Episodes 3 and 4? Did we really need another animated clone wars show?

OK, so if I get this straight this new "movie" is Uncle George re-doing the successful Cartoon Network Clone Wars show with his own animation and his own "slant" which is to lead into another animated clone wars tv series?

Why does this sound like deja vu to me? What happened to the live action show about all the stuff between Episodes 3 and 4? Did we really need another animated clone wars show?

It's not a re-do of anything. More of an addition that is supposed to be much, MUCH darker than the CN series.

Also, the live action show is still slated for release.

But it is a redo. We already saw the clone wars in the cartoon. I mean even the little snippet picture in the story looks like the cartoon network clone wars, just redone in CG. If they wanted to show "more" why not keep the style?

That doesn't make it a redo.. From what I've read, it's a continuation. This movie is a pilot for a second Cartoon Network cartoon, and while they're using CGI, they're supposedly retaining the look of the older series.

When you do something once in one medium then redo it again in a new medium, it's a redo. If they would have kept the same animation it would have been a continuance. If Lucas was to suddenly say "you know, I didn't get to tell the stories I wanted to tell with the show Droids so I'm going to make more 'stories' using the world, setting and general plot elements of Droids but in CG". To me, that is a redo. You are "re-doing" something you or someone else did. Would it have not bent fanboy nerves if I had used the word "interpretation" instead?

My underlying point is: more clone wars? Can't they think of something else?

When you do something once in one medium then redo it again in a new medium, it's a redo. If they would have kept the same animation it would have been a continuance. If Lucas was to suddenly say "you know, I didn't get to tell the stories I wanted to tell with the show Droids so I'm going to make more 'stories' using the world, setting and general plot elements of Droids but in CG". To me, that is a redo. You are "re-doing" something you or someone else did. Would it have not bent fanboy nerves if I had used the word "interpretation" instead?

My underlying point is: more clone wars? Can't they think of something else?

How is that a redo? He isn't retelling the same story, he's adding to the story. This is no more a redo of the clone wars than empire strikes back was a redo of a new hope.

You guys are not getting my drift here.

The Clone Wars cartoon was a Genndy Tartakovsky creation using his design, pacing, story style, etc. Lucas just had the "idea"... Genndy Tartakovsky took it from there and gave us a wonderfully quirky cartoon. If Lucas wanted to continue the story or add to it why not hire Tartakovsky and his team again and make more animation? This whole thing to me looks like Lucas taking a good idea and co-opting it into his own studio.

I like Tartakovsky's style and productions and I don't see his name anywhere on this "new" clone wars that is supposed to be continuing his original creative efforts. Hence to me it is a redo as the original "creator" and style are not involved anymore.

The Clone Wars cartoon was a Genndy Tartakovsky creation using his design, pacing, story style, etc. Lucas just had the "idea"... Genndy Tartakovsky took it from there and gave us a wonderfully quirky cartoon. If Lucas wanted to continue the story or add to it why not hire Tartakovsky and his team again and make more animation? This whole thing to me looks like Lucas taking a good idea and co-opting it into his own studio.

I like Tartakovsky's style and productions and I don't see his name anywhere on this "new" clone wars that is supposed to be continuing his original creative efforts. Hence to me it is a redo as the original "creator" and style are not involved anymore.

well, we're arguing over your use of the word "redo" I don't think anyone is arguing that lucas did a solid in terms of the original clone wars show... which was the best thing about the whole prequels nonesense.

As an avid fan of the books, I can tell you there is A LOT of stuff that went on during the clone wars I'd love to see. Period.

I could say the same for the Original Trilogy's conflict, the Galactic Civil War.

More importantly, there's a practically untouched era between Ep.III and IV. The Clone Wars / Prequel era has saturated Star Wars productions for the past several years.

Edited by Warmaker

I could say the same for the Original Trilogy's conflict, the Galactic Civil War.

More importantly, there's a practically untouched era between Ep.III and IV. The Clone Wars / Prequel era has saturated Star Wars productions for the past several years.

The comics are into that now, but from what I've read the live action tv show is timed between 3 and 4.

well, that's what the new live action show and the new game are going to focus on, right? I'm sure we'll all be complaining about that in a few years. :p

Haven't heard anything recently about the live action show. Not in many months. The games don't really cover the gap in Ep.III and IV either. I know there's a single comic line about it, I recall seeing the first couple issues of it on the shelves last year. But in all, it's still less practically untouched compared to the Clone Wars or the Original Trilogy's timeframe.

The live-action TV series had been postponed due to the WGA strike, but the bible had already been written and the major plot and arcs planned out. Apparenly Boba Fett will play a role in it, thugh he's the only "major" character from either trilogy who will make an appearance. Though I wouldn't count Vader out at all :)

Also, the Clone Wars is pretty much the only time period that isn't already covered by comics, novels, the movies, or any upcoming TV series. Look at it this way, setting a show in the Clone Wars means there's less already-established book-canon that needs to be tossed out and re-written B))

In Lucas' own words, the 3D show is a continuation of the 2D show. And while Tartakovsky's not involved, the staff is using his work on the previous show as their reference, and in any case, Lucas hired Tartakovsky to do the first one, Tartakovsky didn't pitch it to Lucas. Maybe I'm letting my hopes get to high, but it sounds more like a sequel than a redo. As for why they're not hiring Tartakovsky and his team again, who knows? Maybe Tartakovsky doesn't want to do it. I don't know if he has a blog or anything to get his opinion on the matter, but it sounds like he might be busy running some animation studio full of Lucasfilm vets, as well as pitching an animated version of The Dark Tower to HBO.

I can guarantee you that it IS NOT a redo, but a continuation. Dooku looks particularly awesome - if not down right completely different - looks like Dooku's bigger, buffer cooler brother actually. Ventress, along with Dooku and Greivous are the main bad guys.

EDIT;

...It's what I heard...

Edited by Kurisama

A full theatrical release for an animated star wars. A feeling of anticipation mixed with a strong feeling of dread just ran through me. Will the animation be true theatrical animation quality, considering how long it takes most really good animated movies to be made? Or will it be the soso/okay tv cg quality that we saw in the clips a few months back?

I'm still waiting for that "Spaceballs" sequel Mel Brooks was talking about.

Ah yes. The much anticipated, never made, Spaceballs II: The Search For More Money. :D

As for the CF film, I'll wait for the DVD rental. I've already seen the CN show, and to me that was complete as it ended exactly where ROTS started (saying the movie will be a continuation of the cartoon does not make much sense to me since, to my way of looking at it, ROTS was the continuation); since the new film will focus on Anakin and Obi Wan it will, for the most part, be a retelling of Tartakovsky's show... to be sure, there will be added material, but the underlying events can't change without negating the 2D cartoon.

Anakin has a different starfighter in this one, its like the Ep2 version with a droid in the center. I am excited for this. I think we may see Anakin in a new, better light, untainted by the acting of Hayden Christianson. (I like the character of Anakin, not the actor in the live action movies). Not to mention I like the way Anakin was portrayed in the first Clone Wars cartoon. I hope we see the jedis that were killed off in less than a minute in ROTS have more screentime here.

Anakin has a different starfighter in this one, its like the Ep2 version with a droid in the center. I am excited for this. I think we may see Anakin in a new, better light, untainted by the acting of Hayden Christianson. (I like the character of Anakin, not the actor in the live action movies). Not to mention I like the way Anakin was portrayed in the first Clone Wars cartoon. I hope we see the jedis that were killed off in less than a minute in ROTS have more screentime here.

I just hope its not the same stiff animation we saw in the preview a few months back. Stuff that makes Christianson's performance look dynamic. :ph34r:

From other movies I've seen him in, like "Life as a House" Hayden's a pretty decent actor... it's not his fault he got all that whinny dialouge to work with. I think he did a pretty good job as soon as he became Vader... when he went to kill the younglings he oozed malevelonce.

Star Wars has tacky lines all over, even in the Original Trilogy.

Also, even the good actors rolling into Star Wars had to deal with some of the bad dialogue. Natalie Portman before Ep.I had more varied, better roles. But she's mostly been "stiff," esp. in TPM. In AotC, she's got more playroom, but in RotS, not much. Just a scene here, there, put on a funny wig / hairdo, and stand there and say something. That's it. Even Alec Guinness commented during filming of ANH of having to say "those bloody awful lines," yet he still did it as a professional.

For Christiansen, he really gets the bad rap for AotC. Due to how the character at that age was supposed to be portrayed, the poor guy had to be the driver for the Waaambulance :lol: It got better for him in RotS. But he didn't get any great Vader lines. All that was done by James Earl Jones.

"When I left you Obi-Wan, I was but the learner, now I am the master!"

"The Admiral is as clumsy as he is stupid."

"I am your father!"

All of these, and more are > "NNNnnnnooooOOOO!!1!!111!"

He didn't even get the chance to do anything cool with the Darth Vader suit on. I was hoping to see him slay Jedi scum with the armor on before Ep.III came out.

I think most of the problem with the prequels lies with Lucas' direction rather than Hayden's acting. More than a little may have been due to the edits for time. Hopefully there's a chance to get extended editions later on. Specifically, I'm thinking the "love story" of AOTC. The Birth of the Rebellion scenes from ROTS should most definitely be reinserted at some point, hopefully for a Blu-ray release.