Why no bad guys?

Rhapsodyred99

I think it's odd that with the exception of Miria 639's battle suit no other torys are being made of the bad guys. What good is it to have a million hero toys and nothing for them to fight?

I like making dioramas out of my toys and at the moment its a bunch of flexing good guys. I'd love to have a few bad guys to pose with em.

I have found a few 1/100 models that are garage kits that look ok, but I'm not much of a model builder. I suppose I could buy them and have them be the destroyed bad guys :p

What about Ivanov's and Nora's SV-51's. And the upcoming CF SV-51.

ahh well I was thinking more in terms of the Zentraedi battle pods (and yes I know there were a few exosquad toys made in the 80's that are pretty darned hard to find).

I have only seen the macross saga, and about half of the Macross 7 series so far, so I'm afraid I do not even know who Ivanov and Nora are.

I just knwo that once i was about halfway into the macross saga and hooked, i started looking for toys and was surprised there are no Zentraedi currently made in toy form (sans models)

I suppose the title shoudl ahve been where are the battle pods!?

:p

ahh well I was thinking more in terms of the Zentraedi battle pods (and yes I know there were a few exosquad toys made in the 80's that are pretty darned hard to find).

I have only seen the macross saga, and about half of the Macross 7 series so far, so I'm afraid I do not even know who Ivanov and Nora are.

I just knwo that once i was about halfway into the macross saga and hooked, i started looking for toys and was surprised there are no Zentraedi currently made in toy form (sans models)

I suppose the title shoudl ahve been where are the battle pods!?

:p

Can you all imagine a 1/48 BattlePod??? That would be pretty neat. I would prefer bad guys in a 1/55 scale....but....that's usually just me ^_^ . I mean Yamamto has been making the jets for quite a while now and are finally starting to get it all right......so yes.....I am one to agree......they need to start making the BAD GUYS. EDIT----> Besides the bad guy jets like Ivanov and Nora.

Edited by misterryno

Yes, I have been whining for almost a year now on these forums about wanting Yamato to make a Zentraedi "battle pod" Regult. I would want 1/60. 1/48 would be awesome but probably taller than the SV-51 and shelfs may suffer.

Who said once that bad guy toys don`t sell well in Japan.

It has been said a number of times. But IIRC the Bad guys stuff from Star Wars sells better than the good guys stuff in Japan.

My guess is that a large number of people who are attracted to Macross are attracted to VARIABLE units. People on these forums freaked out when the QueadlunnReau came out because it was a nontransformable hunk of plastic (if beautifully sculpted) that was just as expensive as the VF's.

Lets face it, the transformable fighters have an appeal even outside of macross collectors (if only by a relatively small margin) whereas the classic bad guys would only really appeal to a subsection of the hard core fans (although those fans might be willing to buy them by the bushel). Swarms of pods would probably only really sell if they were pretty inexpensive, and when you are used to getting a percentage from toys that range between a hundred and two hundred dollars, it might not seem like the profits on army builders are worth the risk that they'll sit and collect dust (especially since the people who want them would still more than likely want them in scale with the VF's - I'm not sure if big AND cheap happens in the collectibles market).

From a business point of view it probably seems less risky to stick with the high end collectibles that they KNOW people are willing to shell out a pretty penny for (after all, diving into the transformable collectible market was a risk to begin with) - from what I've gathered (again I'm not 100% sure of this) the Q-reau didn't do anywhere near as well as Yamato was hoping.

As much as I love the gluag, I have to admit I'd rather see the variable gluag than Kamjin's version, but that may just be me (but I'm just demented enough to be curious about what Yamato could do with some of the Varauta mecha, and those are REALLY unpopular designs).

My two cents (okay, maybe three, but who's counting?)

See, i might get opne. Maybe. But purely from a completist POV. I dont NEED one, and Im not really attarcted to getting one. id be more inclinedto get the m7 variable mecha to wanted battlepods. Hell, Id by Scale sized zentradi troops before Id buy Battlepods.

Can we get some battle-damaged Regults with bloodied, bullet-ridden Zent's? :ph34r:

Seriously though, I wouldn't mind a few Zentraedi mechs. The possibilities for both comedic and bad-ass poses would liven up the old displays a little bit.

Technically ivanov, nora and bowman were not bad guys. Milias' Qrau is the only one I *might* classify as 'bad guy' mecha.

True bad guys are hard to find in macross as most of them change sides at some point, but if we're talking about characters that were trying to destroy the un-spacy forces I would most like to see Britai with misa, kakizaki, and hikaru figs or Kamjin with a minmay included, or a regular zentradi soldier, preferably with the power armor but without would be cool too. Or even a reguld!

The 1/60 perfect trans line would be FAR more appealing to me if I could get a zentradi soldier, Then I'd HAVE to buy the 1D so I could display them with the dead zentradi holding the ankle of the 1D, and another zentradi soldier with the max-1a liu-kanging him in the guts. Britai wrestling with hikaru and his 1a, or the scene where roy dies in dyrl.

I just don't see the point of buying any of these things if you can't re-create cool scenes from the animation and for that I need bad guys.

As much as I love the gluag, I have to admit I'd rather see the variable gluag than Kamjin's version, but that may just be me (but I'm just demented enough to be curious about what Yamato could do with some of the Varauta mecha, and those are REALLY unpopular designs).

Yes give us some of the variable glaugs. I like both types.

Those who didn't buy the overpriced qrau are killing the chances of seeing new and more risky stuff. No wonder they keep milking the vf-1 *sigh* It's like if hasbro only ever did the optimus prime figure in MP and nothing else. I love the hero mecha as much as the next guy but it's time to move on people.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

As far as figures (people) I am really surprised that no one has ever done a mass release of a 1/6 scale bad guy. after all a quick eBay search for Dragon naked figures will uncover loads of complete and spare parts for custom jobs. I know that they are not completely in scale with say 1/48 etc but they work OK for 1/55. A few custom mods or a 1/5 scale figure would be right in the ball park. Sculpt up a head and sew up a uniform and your there.

As far as figures (people) I am really surprised that no one has ever done a mass release of a 1/6 scale bad guy. after all a quick eBay search for Dragon naked figures will uncover loads of complete and spare parts for custom jobs. I know that they are not completely in scale with say 1/48 etc but they work OK for 1/55. A few custom mods or a 1/5 scale figure would be right in the ball park. Sculpt up a head and sew up a uniform and your there.

The only problem with that is that my sewing talents have diminished over the years :(

:ph34r:

It's less about sewing and more about making some armor. And if you look at the armor they're not that articulation friendly... a lot of those designs. There's a lot where fabric becomes armor and vica versa, just look at Millia's DYRL meltrandi flight suit. The red stripes come from the shoulder armor and meld into her body suit.

Even the TV series UN Spacy flight suit is hard to make. The jumpsuit goes right into the boots... not that impossible to make as a costume but a nightmare at 1/6th scale.

I would love to make TV Zentradi figures but the process would be too hard and at the end it would end up just standing there like a statue. Good references would be Hot Toys Btaman Begins or their Appleseed figures where the rubber costumes are molded right onto the bodies.

Another thing, if you're thinking about the ship uniforms they use where it's just boots, that would be kinda boring as I'd rather have the pilot uniforms for the Zaentradi. But scales of these figures suck too. They're all 12" bodies. So you can't really make a Breetai and an Exedol along with regular soldiers. Again I rather have the armored Zents rather than in cloth uniforms.