My 2&1/2 year old loves vlaks...

miriya

Last night while I was eating dinner my 2 & 1/2 year old son said, "dadda, I like your shirt".

My shirt has 4 images, one is Milia, one is a Regult, one is Misa, and one is Hikaru's VF-1J in Battroid mode.

I asked him, "which one do you like the best?"

He pointed to the regult and said, "I like that robot"

I said, "I like that one too. Is that your favorite?"

Then he said, "No, I Love that Robot, turns into Airplane!"

Then he ran around the apartment repeatedly saying, "I love that Airplane, turns into Robot! I love that Airplane turns into robot!"

I was very proud of my young Valkyrie lover!

First thing I did was call up one of my friends who is also a big time Macross fan and had my son say it on my friend's voice mail.

It is strange because he has never seen Macross the show and he has yet to see my toy collection but I did let him play with a G1 Jetfire once for a few minutes about 5 months ago and he got so upset when I showed him how it transforms into a robot. He was saying, "No dadda! Dont do that. I want airplane. Stop dadda! No like robot!" I guess he has changed his mind about that for now.

Awwww...that's cute. :)

Be careful though, he may defect to Transformers and bring your optimism of a newly-minted Macross fan down in flames :lol:

I recently had a similar experience. I bought a Chinese knock-off VF-19S from a fellow MWer a month ago and gave it to my son who just turned 2 years old. I transformed it from fighter to battroid in front of him when my wife was not at home. I left for work and my wife returned to find a new red robot sitting on the dining table and asked my son where he got the robot. He said "daddy" and then pointed to the robot and said "airplane, robot, airplane, robot~~". She obviously had no idea what he was telling her until I came home and explained.

I recently had a similar experience. I bought a Chinese knock-off VF-19S from a fellow MWer a month ago and gave it to my son who just turned 2 years old. I transformed it from fighter to battroid in front of him when my wife was not at home. I left for work and my wife returned to find a new red robot sitting on the dining table and asked my son where he got the robot. He said "daddy" and then pointed to the robot and said "airplane, robot, airplane, robot~~". She obviously had no idea what he was telling her until I came home and explained.

That is so great! Very funny. Similar experience. It is so funny what little children pick up.

• 6 months later...

Resurrected:

So a few weeks ago my son (now jsut over 3 years old) was in my office and looking at my old jetfire (I still have not started the custom) and he wanted me to transform it. He asked me what the the red things on top were and I said, "oh, those are called booby ducks".

Then today he was in my office again and said "what I want dadda?" poking around curiously. I said oh, you want the Valkyrie? So I got it for him and he said, "dadda, take off the booby ducks. I no like."

So of course I am proud that he remembered after only once that they were called booby ducks. But then I was sad because I really like booby ducks and if he is going to be one of those bare naked valk lovers then i just dont know what to do.

Resurrected:

So a few weeks ago my son (now jsut over 3 years old) was in my office and looking at my old jetfire (I still have not started the custom) and he wanted me to transform it. He asked me what the the red things on top were and I said, "oh, those are called booby ducks".

Then today he was in my office again and said "what I want dadda?" poking around curiously. I said oh, you want the Valkyrie? So I got it for him and he said, "dadda, take off the booby ducks. I no like."

So of course I am proud that he remembered after only once that they were called booby ducks. But then I was sad because I really like booby ducks and if he is going to be one of those bare naked valk lovers then i just dont know what to do.

:lol::lol::lol: Your son is the cutest......don't worry brother....he WILL like Booby Ducks eventually. ^_^

:ph34r:

heh, I love these stories. My own:

My son is 26 months old, I was watching ep 4 of Macross Frontier after he went to sleep. Ranka was singing 'my boyfriend is a pilot' and alto was in zooming around, dogfighting the pixies when he comes running and laughing out of his room, and jumps up into my lap. He watches the tv for a second and starts singing, "kyun kyun" and then pretends his hands is a valk and says, "wooosh!"

My son is 3 years and 11 months now and has liked Valks since he was about two and a half. I've already given him my Bandai reissue 1/55 VF-1J Hikaru and a Bandai 1/65 VF-19Kai, VF-19S and VF-17D (no loss as I have multiples anyway). The only damage the toys have sustatined so far is the Hikaru VF-1J has had both it's head laser broken off.

He keeps on asking to play with the Yamatos, Doyushas and Hasegawas in my display cabinet, but knows better than to touch them without my permission. So far I have told him they are off limits until he is much older....LOL!

We've been watching Frontier together, but only up to episode 4 so far. Not sure if I'll show him eps 5-6 as they have no action, so he'd probably get bored. I'll probably just skip straight to episode 7 with him, as it looks to be action packed.

Might start him on the ADV Macross DVDs soon as they are dubbed, so will be easier for him to understand (knew there had to be a use for dubbing).

Graham

thanks for sharing Eugimon & Graham. These stories are precious. I think I will have to get my son his very own chunky monkey soon. Of course withouth boobyducks. Ryan can get him some booby ducks for his next birthday.

thanks for sharing Eugimon & Graham. These stories are precious. I think I will have to get my son his very own chunky monkey soon. Of course withouth boobyducks. Ryan can get him some booby ducks for his next birthday.

Hell yeah I can! And will! :D

:ph34r:

• 3 weeks later...

So I had this starwars bag in the backseat of my car and my son says,

"is that a robot?"

"Yes, that is a storm trooper"

"is he a naughty robot?"

"yeah kinda"

"Is the black one a naughty robot too?"

"Oh, yeah thats Darth Vedar. He is really really naughty"

so then when we got home he said he wanted to see a stormtrooper on the computer.

Of course we stumbled upon Danny Choo's Stormtrooper Dancing through Tokyo video on YouTube to the soundtrack of Earth Wind and Fire.

and now we have to watch it over and over again every day. Of course after we watch the Wall-e previews. And then he asks me to sing the stormtrooper song (Lets Groove tonight) which I could not sing to save my life. Those falsettos are impossibly high.

So then he asked me if he could have a stormtrooper toy.

I told him that I would get him one.

Then he asked me if the toy would dance.

The important question is why haven't you watch Starwars with your over 3 year old... i can't believe at that age he doesn't know Darth Vader is naughty.

The important question is why haven't you watch Starwars with your over 3 year old... i can't believe at that age he doesn't know Darth Vader is naughty.

Really? Do you think that 3 is an appropriate age for Starwars? IIRC I was taken to see The Empire Strikes Back in the movie theater when I was 3 and I was terrified and we had to leave the theater. I am a bit of a wuss though. I also think that my son may have inherited some wuss genes as some things scare him easily. The scene in Finding Nemo where Nemo's Mom

gets killed

scares him as well as the scene with the deep water luminescent fish with the big teeth. We have to fast forward those parts.

Drum roll......

He has not seen Macross yet either.

Time to get stoned again? Please just shoot me and save your rocks for Macross7.

I know. I know. I know.

I actually do not think that Macross would scare him at all and I know he would love the valks but his mom does not want to expose him to violence and she would kill me if when he was at her house he said something like, "momma, why Hikaru blow up Bodolza?"

Really? Do you think that 3 is an appropriate age for Starwars? IIRC I was taken to see The Empire Strikes Back in the movie theater when I was 3 and I was terrified and we had to leave the theater. I am a bit of a wuss though. I also think that my son may have inherited some wuss genes as some things scare him easily. The scene in Finding Nemo where Nemo's Mom

gets killed

scares him as well as the scene with the deep water luminescent fish with the big teeth. We have to fast forward those parts.

Drum roll......

He has not seen Macross yet either.

Time to get stoned again? Please just shoot me and save your rocks for Macross7.

I know. I know. I know.

I actually do not think that Macross would scare him at all and I know he would love the valks but his mom does not want to expose him to violence and she would kill me if when he was at her house he said something like, "momma, why Hikaru blow up Bodolza?"

Macross 7 then?

He'll probably just end up wanting to learn how to sing and play guitar to stop the nasty monsters.

Worst case, he'll run around screaming "FIRE BOMBER" or "LISTEN TO MY SONG!"

Macross 7 then?

He'll probably just end up wanting to learn how to sing and play guitar to stop the nasty monsters.

Worst case, he'll run around screaming "FIRE BOMBER" or "LISTEN TO MY SONG!"

If he can follow the subs, that is...In which case, Miriya's kid is a Jenius! Um, I mean "genius."

gets killed

Well I have no right on tell you how to raise your child and I apologize if it sounded like that. Just that I have a family in which my cousin is a huge Starwars geek and his kids and nephews all have grown up with Starwars stuff and watching the movies and all since they were babies. And also by age 4 I knew who Darth Vader is. (called the Dark Invader due to a misunderstanding of english) also you have to consider I would be watching zombie and horror movies by age 5 with my siblings and mom and I also started drinking by age 7.

If I were you I would probably show him the best episodes of SDF and also enough for him to follow some of the story, and show him DYRL? totally skip on M7 for a young kid. I hope that the believes of the mom of your boy doesn't interfere on you passing on the culture :p

Thanks everyone for the input. Yeah, I dont want my son to be watching zombie movies and drinking beers just yet but soon enough. I also was thinking about the whole subtitles thing. All my macross aside from Macross Plus is in subtitles. I would preffer not to raise him on Robotech. I do have a VHS dub of DYRL but my VCR just broke. Anyway all good things in all good time. I just bought him his first valk from TheLoneWolf last night, a 1/55 VF-1J and I am pretty sure SDFM (be it subtitled) may have to be watched soon. Of course I am going to pass on the culture, it is just a matter of time.

That is awesome. My girlfriend has a 3 month old son. I'm hoping to start him young as well if things between her and I keep going the way they are... ;)

Downside is... when he gets older if I convert him... he'll want to play with my Yamato figures. And I'll be scared shitless that he'll break them (Hell, my VF-11 already got broke since I have it on my fireplace mantle in Battroid config and my cat jumped up and knocked it off breaking the leg :( ). The VF-19A figure sits in Fighter mode on the fireplace mantle next to a smaller diecast VF-19 Macross Plus figure with it's wooden box.

And nobody touches my VF-22 figure. Since that's my favorite of all Macross aircraft.

Of course, I could always track down a less-then-perfect original Jetfire and put a UN Spacy sticker on it and tell him "Here. Break this one." :lol: