Brand New to Macross

misterryno

Hello there, I am new to macross and also new to the boards here. I've been a long time fan of Transformers but have never gotten into anything else till now. I am just starting to get into Macross. I REALLY enjoy the toys of the jets rather than the models. I just have one question for now though. I have recently purchased a 1/60 VF-1A...I think it's a great figure and all...but when I transform it into Battroid mode where his legs connect are all sorts of loose and it makes him hard to pose. Now for my question. Does the 1/48 VF-1J Transform the same way??? PLEASE do let me know. THANKS ALOT.

:ph34r: MisterRyno :ph34r:

no, you won't have the same problem with the 1/48. the 1/48 is a engineering marvel. its perfect transformation which means there no parts swapping. its pretty much the best transforming toy yamato has put out to date.

the only 1/60 valks that are worth owning are....

VF-0S - from macross zero. its basically the prototype of the VF-1S that roy focker flies in the macross TV show(or robotech if you will) its got a few flaws that are still unresolved so i suggest you wait for the eventual upcoming re-release.

VF-0A - also from macross zero. think of it as the older version of the VF-1A you own right now as far as the macross timeline. this also has some flaws and i suggest you wait a bit before more news is heard if fixes are being made.

YF-19 - featured in macross plus and one of my personal favorites. totally worth picking up, try to get the bundled set with the fold booster and FP's(fast packs).

SV-51 - from macross zero. it just came out a couple of weeks ago so i'm a bit worried about plunking my money down for it. i'd wait a little longer to see if any problems arise, its a $200+ toy after all.

YF-21 - also in macross plus, but isn't out yet. if you haven't seen macross plus, you need to see it to know why this is a must have.

i know all this seems overwhelming but i hope it helps.

and welcome to macrossworld, please adjust your trays to the upright position and check your wallet at the door. you're not gonna be seeing it for a longtime. :D

Welcome to Macross World misterryno!

You'll adore the 1/48 VF-1A from Yamato. It is THE ultimate VF-1 toy, both in function and quality. You'll have no problem posing it. I wish I could help you out, but I sold the only 1/48 I was willing to let go over a year ago (a VF-1A). I now own a VF-1S and a VF-1J both in 1/48 scale and they are fantastic!

Btw, I'm curious what got you into Macross? The toys? The anime?

Hi there misterryno, welcome to MW (macross world), glad you found an animation you dig after Transformers.. as far as new toys goes, if you're used to TF'mers, i can definately recommend looking for a bandai 1/55 reissue (hint - jetfire was one of these originally).. any of them will do (they are all good).. Most people here will direct you to the Yamato line which are probably the best but if you're only just getting into the scene and want something a little less 'fragile' and a bit more 'sturdy' to play with, the Bandai's are definatly the way forward. Its a kind of 'break you in gently' thing. You can find a few on ebay and some other good toy sites, but dont forget the word "reissue", thats the key otherwise you end up looking at $150+++++ for one. you can get a good one (usually the brown VF-1A canon fodder or CF version) for around $50-$60 and shop around, you may even get a better one for that price.

here are some starting points.

http://www.chibitokyo.com/index.asp?PageAc...mp;Category=511

http://www.yesanimation.com/macrossbandai.html

Of course, all of this is only a suggestion.. if you're already a seasoned collector, stick with the Yamato stuff.

Mr March,

The toys....since I am a HUGE TF fan, the transforming jets got me....plus they are REALLY cool looking. I had seen the anime once or twice before but never was interested till now.

Edited by misterryno

vermillion01,

so are the 1/55 scales alot like the 1/48 yamatos? As in transforming well. Also do the 1/55 scales have die-cast parts?

vermillion01,

so are the 1/55 scales alot like the 1/48 yamatos? As in transforming well. Also do the 1/55 scales have die-cast parts?

Well the quick answer is.. yes. but simpler. a lot simpler. and yes, more diecast. do you remember the old Jetfire? the big one with the rocket packs? well they are one and the same! The 1/55's are a helluva lot easier to transform and a lot more robust.

If you check this page out it should answer a couple of questions for you.

http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/toys/b...ue_1s_super.htm

Edited by vermillion01

Well the quick answer is.. yes. but simpler. a lot simpler. and yes, more diecast. do you remember the old Jetfire? the big one with the rocket packs? well they are one and the same! The 1/55's are a helluva lot easier to transform and a lot more robust.

If you check this page out it should answer a couple of questions for you.

http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/toys/b...ue_1s_super.htm

Again.....THANKS!!!!!!

Welcome to MW misterryno, you planning on bing another yamato addic. After you get a 1/48 you'll know what I'm saying, can't stop at one. The 1/48 will blow your mind as it really is some piece of work, but all yammies will do that IMO. I finally lashed out after a few years of looking at the toys (being a model builder) and haven't looked back, but I only collect what I need for my collection. I can't really say any more as the gentlemen here have aswered most questions but I do warn you that Yamato's are addictive....gotta love em!post-5632-1190417573.gif

Mr March,

The toys....since I am a HUGE TF fan, the transforming jets got me....plus they are REALLY cool looking. I had seen the anime once or twice before but never was interested till now.

That's cool. Yeah, there's no doubt the toys are really attractive. Once you get a 1/48 scale Yamato, you're gonna flip at how awesome it is.

That's cool. Yeah, there's no doubt the toys are really attractive. Once you get a 1/48 scale Yamato, you're gonna flip at how awesome it is.

Alrighty...I could not wait any longer....I am SOOOOOOOOOO impatient. I broke down and bought a 1/48 Max 1A and a 6" Flexi Stand.....I am SOOOOOOO EXCITED, I CANNOT WAIT TO GET THEM!!!

the 1/48 is far better than the 1/60 (however i do love my super ostrich). i strongly advise getting a VF-1A, J or S and some fast packs. makes for a lot of good times. i would steer clear of the VF-0 and SV-51 until the quality control issues are worked out. my VF-0 was so floppy that i sold it out of frustration. The 1/60 YF-19 is another of my favorites. If you get one, by the set with the fold booster included as it has a straight gunpod rather than the crooked gunpod of the first edition. And most importantly...have some patience. I have seen a lot of valks go for way under retail and ebay prices on here. welcome to the boards and don't forget to pick up the anime since it's pure awesomeness.

also...robotech and related product sucks. stick to yamato & macross.

however, you can get the whole macross series from the robotech site for a good price (you can probably find it even cheaper on ebay)

http://www.robotech.com/store/viewproduct.php?id=93

oh..almost forgot one of my all time favorite resources http://www.anymoon.com/blog/

that's jenius's blog and it's nothing short of amazing.

edited for yf-21 anticipation obsession

Edited by xsjado

1/48 vf-1 yamatos are what got me addicted.

Although they are mostly plastic, the toys are very well engineered and when transformed into each mode they fit together very well without parts feeling like they will "pop off". Joints are stiff, transformation is complex, and detail is excellent. (wait until you see the FAST Pack and GBP Armor!)

Some fragile parts are:

-gunstrap. This can tear easily.

-backpack hinge. Just be extra careful when putting on the fast packs. There is a trick to avoiding them being damaged.

-head laser (not through any fault of the toy, just that it is something that can snap off due to it being skinny if you are not careful)

Apart from that it is still the toy to beat in my books.

Some things you might want to know:

-hands: they are quite skinny and small and for some they tend to not hold the gunpod as tight as we'd all like. The wrist can be a bit floppy unless you mod. Thankfully the TV Valkryies come with fixed pose hands. The hands are that small in order to fit into the sleeve of the battroids arm for transformation. Not much could have been done.

-feet: the detail on the bottom is a bit fake looking compared to the VF-0. If yamato could go back and redo the vf-1 I think this would be the first change I would make.

-chest: looks a bit wide and sticks a bit far forward to accomodate the heat shield underneath

-girls arms: many people comment that the 1/48 has chics arms compared to 1/60. You be the judge here. I think they look a bit skinny kind of.

-GBP Armor: when you put on the GBP armor, the chest armor is real bulky and the shoulders are huge compared to lineart. As a result of being so "fat" the poseability is compromised a bit and it is not as accurate in proportions compared to the 1/60 version. But it's overall better in terms of details (individual micromissiles which go into holes in the grenade boxes)

-back heavy FAST Pack: Whatever you do, keep in mind that the fast packs add extra weight because they have diecast inside them. IF you pose them in battroid mode: I would suggest not putting it near the edge of a shelf. Haha it's just a bit scary that if it falls it's going to smash down harder.

-TV vs DYRL: you might want to know the difference between the movie VF-1 and TV series VF-1 which come with different pilots in different uniforms/suits, along with "bubble hands", and differences in the FAST Pack pieces before jumping in. If you are more a fan of the Movie version, then these won't come with the fixed pose "bubble hands". There was one release which was a tv series color (the brown VF-1A) that had a DYRL head turret, fixed pose TV hands, and TV pilot. If you like the VF-1A and the tv series cannon fodder, I would suggest getting one of these as a first valk. (I was very pleased with mine)

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

1/48 VF-1A Max is a good choice. :) It was my first 1/48. If you like transforming toys, the YF-19 will blow your mind at how it transforms (the SV-51 probably more so).

Avoid picking up Toynami's MPC Veritechs, stick with Yamato's valkyries. They're incomparable.

Hello there, I am new to macross and also new to the boards here. I've been a long time fan of Transformers but have never gotten into anything else till now. I am just starting to get into Macross. I REALLY enjoy the toys of the jets rather than the models. I just have one question for now though. I have recently purchased a 1/60 VF-1A...I think it's a great figure and all...but when I transform it into Battroid mode where his legs connect are all sorts of loose and it makes him hard to pose. Now for my question. Does the 1/48 VF-1J Transform the same way??? PLEASE do let me know. THANKS ALOT.

I'm new here too. I have been collecting for 2 months now. IMHO Yamato stuff is the only way to go. Get a 1/48 VF-1S. AS far as I am cocered that is the one that "is" macross. I have three B)) One for each mode.

You gotta get oe with the GBP armor, they are sweeeeet.

The VF-0S from Macross Zero rock too.

And last but not least, the YF-19 (my favorite) it super sexy. I like mine so much I commisioed a guy to paint a YF-19 in s

"Skull Leader" colors for the ultimate combo as far as I am cocerned.

Buying tips:

If you don't care about boxes get your stuff used. There are some good values o this board.

Go to this site for reviews on most of the toys:

Scortched Earth Toys