Transformer Super Thread 6

Ratchet was, originally, the Transformer I was least interested in from the movie. As far as toys go, though, he's actually my favorite. His transformation isn't too difficult, and the automorph doesn't make you afraid you're going to break it. What's more, he's got minimal kibble and better poseability than any of the other Voyager or Deluxes.

Hasbro actually just released some wretchedly bad looking fake-Revoltech type non-transformable figures of like, Megs, BB, and Barricade.... they're supposed to be more movie accurate and articulated to make up for the non-transforming, but they look like arse....

As true as that statement is, the sad truth is that they're flying off the store pegs too just because people want deluxe sized transformers product.

So what, sometime mid september we should see them rolling in?

I'm not sure, but I would say between now and november. Mid september they might start becoming easier to find. November is when the case is due, but as we all know, everything has been hitting earlier. Also guys, kids go back to school next month, so transformers might be easier to find. I expect saturation by october but by november, the usual xmas rush.

As true as that statement is, the sad truth is that they're flying off the store pegs too just because people want deluxe sized transformers product.

Not around here. Some are left on shelf, sure some are bought but they don't fly off shelves here. The deluxes fly off shelves, as with the leaders. The voyagers are becoming easier to find now.

While I appreciate it, I still want the originals. I still can't find Ironhide anywhere, and I want him the worst of them all ! So, for someone who doesn't have any except Blackout, Barricade, and Bonecrusher, any recommendations or warnings?

With Ironhide, initiate his automorph by folding down his feet, do NOT fold down the heel first as it will break the mechanism. His doors do not lock into place in robot mode, the float due to the springs, but there is a way to configure them to secure them. Ironhide will be easier to find for you soon, as he is becoming a shelfwarmer since everyone is buying the $20 Optimus Prime and leaving everyone else on shelves. Voyager Megatron is a shelfwarmer too. I also recommend voyager Prime, voyager Megatron, protoform Prime(possibly the most overlooked figure in the line next to Ratchet), Ratchet, Starscream(deceptive, as he is huge in robot mode, a lot bigger than what you might expect), 77 Bumblebee, Wreckage(most overlooked non movie character), Dreadwing(a lot better than people think), and Dropkick(one of the best drones). I got Final Battle Jazz mainly for his movie accurate gun, but he is not one of the better deluxes. I also have Swindle but don't recommend him. He grows on you over a long time, but there are much better figures to buy.

Ratchet was, originally, the Transformer I was least interested in from the movie. As far as toys go, though, he's actually my favorite. His transformation isn't too difficult, and the automorph doesn't make you afraid you're going to break it. What's more, he's got minimal kibble and better poseability than any of the other Voyager or Deluxes.

I felt the exact same way because of his neon green but found him to be one of my favorites as well upon opening. I wish his automorph was more complex, and that he retained the automorph arm cannon that was on the prototype. His range of motion is great, but I think voyager Prime has him beat for articulation. He is huge in robot mode and that aids in his stability.

Edited by Shin Densetsu Kai 7.0

Not around here. Some are left on shelf, sure some are bought but they don't fly off shelves here. The deluxes fly off shelves, as with the leaders. The voyagers are becoming easier to find now.

With Ironhide, initiate his automorph by folding down his feet, do NOT fold down the heel first as it will break the mechanism. His doors do not lock into place in robot mode, the float due to the springs, but there is a way to configure them to secure them. Ironhide will be easier to find for you soon, as he is becoming a shelfwarmer since everyone is buying the $20 Optimus Prime and leaving everyone else on shelves. Voyager Megatron is a shelfwarmer too. I also recommend voyager Prime, voyager Megatron, protoform Prime(possibly the most overlooked figure in the line next to Ratchet), Ratchet, Starscream(deceptive, as he is huge in robot mode, a lot bigger than what you might expect), 77 Bumblebee, Wreckage(most overlooked non movie character), Dreadwing(a lot better than people think), and Dropkick(one of the best drones). I got Final Battle Jazz mainly for his movie accurate gun, but he is not one of the better deluxes. I also have Swindle but don't recommend him. He grows on you over a long time, but there are much better figures to buy.

I felt the exact same way because of his neon green but found him to be one of my favorites as well upon opening. I wish his automorph was more complex, and that he retained the automorph arm cannon that was on the prototype. His range of motion is great, but I think voyager Prime has him beat for articulation. He is huge in robot mode and that aids in his stability.

Dreadwing would be alot nicer if he had elbows.

Dreadwing would be alot nicer if he had elbows.

He does, they are just limited in range of motion. He has elbow joints in the lower arm, and on the upper arm, the lower arm ones are not visible from the front. You can tilt the shoulders outwards, and then bend the upper elbow joints, so the articulation does not look as weird. People compare him to Armada Thrust, but this Dreadwing is superior to him(I have both, Dreadwing's mold is much more refined).

The actual revoltech transformer figures turned out rather nice.
But those designs are farting awful. They're based on PAT LEE's renditions of the two characters! :(

Too bad these toys were actually sculpted in 2004. If they were made now, they might have based them upon the work of a popular TF artist who's actually good, like Don Figueroa or Guido Guidi.

Edited by Fit For Natalie

But those designs are farting awful. They're based on PAT LEE's renditions of the two characters! :(

Too bad these toys were actually sculpted in 2004. If they were made now, they might have based them upon the work of a popular TF artist who's actually good, like Don Figueroa or Guido Guidi.

I don't mind them. I honestly prefer DWaves stuff over IDW's stuff. Nor do I like IDW's story telling that much either.

Went to walmart earlier, and was surprised to see they'd restocked the Voyagers. I picked up Prime. I wasn't going to get voyager Prime, I'm far more interested in the G1 style repaint they have coming out, next year. I've been trying to set aside money to get leader Brawl, whenever I see him. In a moment of weakness, I bought Prime.

I still want a Longarm, dang it.

The Targets in Burbank, North Hollywood, Van Nuys and Sherman Oaks just have some Starscream G1 repaints in stock. Other than that, they have TFs no one cares about - Cyber Slammers, T.E.C.H. and the 2-in-1 Beamers.

The one in Burbank has the new Real Gear Robots in stock. Meantime looks good, but for its size, it could've been a real watch. High Score 100 has an awesome design, but its size (1/2 that of a real game controller) kills it.

its a magazine

This item is a Japanese-language book or magazine about science-fiction subjects related to anime and/or modeling. 96 pages.

Its a MOOK! :lol: Mook = Magazine Book. A special side book release published by Dengeki Hobby magazine, covering all the TF toys to date, with the Movie toys being the main highlight. It says it covers over 190 TF toys in there. Toywave has a couple pages of scan. Give you a better idea what it is.

http://www.toy-wave.com/eng/detail.php?id=9395&table=88

didn't see a mp thundercracker in that link. only mp skywarp, starscream, and some 1/48 vf-1's.

And Skywarp looked really BLAH in Jet mode...what a disappointment. Yet I'll buy it for the bot mode. As for Thundercracker, there's no need for pics. Buy Skywarp, Buy US Starscream, and call Japanese Starscream "Thundercracker". I'm already practicing.

Looks like MP Thundercracker will have a black radome? If so, I hope they go all-out G1 toy color scheme on him (black tail fins, metallic saphire blue - instead of some bastardized real-world color).

This photoshopped MP starscream pic I found has me yearning.

post-3171-1188775680_thumb.jpg

Rise Leader Class! Rise!!!

Finally get to finish my Leader Megatron. Took a lot more work, time & paint to bring it up to this OK looking level (still very playable and a bit rough, but better looking than stock), when both Prime and Brawl just need a weathering wash & some silver highlight touch up. Megatron need quite a few more layers of paint. And the silver paint just smear all over your hand without a good layer of clear coat. I used (Model Master Laquer Overcoat # 1959) semi-gloss to better match the 'not so shiny look' on the other two. Turned out pretty good with no bubbling. Pretty happy with the results.

IMG_4293-1.jpg

IMG_4297.jpg

IMG_4294.jpg

IMG_4301_1.jpg

Toy-wise, I would rank them as follow:

Leader Prime - 9/10 Hands down a great toy, aside the slightly off proportion and chunkiness. Great construction, very nice spring ratchet joints and weight balance, fun transformation, nice truck mode, with nice gimmick and clever automorph. Other than a slightly nicer sculpt and joints on the wrists & waist, I can't really ask for more at this $40 price.

Leader Brawl - 8.5/10 Brawl is very nice. Almost as good as Prime, but feel a bit more fiddly due to all the smaller parts and weapons hanging all over. And some of his ratchets(arms) are not as nicely built as Prime's. But articulation is just about as good as Prime's, minus the nice ankle ball joints. Brawl also got the best light & sound gimmick, with multiple ways to trigger/change the sound effects. His robot mode might look a bit funky, but sure he packed a lot of firing power LOL (with at least one weapon on every limb), and a awesome tank mode.

Leader Megatron - 7/10 (6/10 if stock) Hands down the sucky guy among the three. Articulation is low with either small movement range joints or with stuff getting in the way. Flimpsy toes that can't support weight due to the legs automorph design, making Megatron often off balance and hard to do action pose without falling. Jet mode is not too bad. Nice wing span and wing folding automorph too. But how the head rested is pretty odd. Really ugly paint job with funny pink parts too. Arm gimmicks are fun, but only if you swap the springs in the arms. So Megatron can be kind of nice, but it needs a lot of work and fixing to get there.

Edited by mpchi

nice! They look so much better than the out of the box toys. For the first time I considered buying a toy from the movie.. just for a few seconds though!

Which is why I avoided the Primes like the plague, the chest windows are hideous. The Megatron is pretty nice though.

Can't... resist urge... to get Leader Prime and paint it 20.gif

Great job you've done on your TFs, mpchi!

Ok, since Spanish stores have even less Movie TF than the rest of the world (and boy are they choking on Spiderman and Pirates crap for that), I'll have to go to EvilBay for my movie fix. Three questions:

- I've seen there's a special bundle of leader prime and a mini Jazz and Bumblebee: does that Prime have any fixes or is it the same as the normal one?

- Any difference between the Takara and Hasbro versions (better colour aplications...)?

- From what mpchi says, Prime is $40 in retail on the US, right?

Can't... resist urge... to get Leader Prime and paint it 20.gif

Great job you've done on your TFs, mpchi!

Ok, since Spanish stores have even less Movie TF than the rest of the world (and boy are they choking on Spiderman and Pirates crap for that), I'll have to go to EvilBay for my movie fix. Three questions:

- I've seen there's a special bundle of leader prime and a mini Jazz and Bumblebee: does that Prime have any fixes or is it the same as the normal one?

- Any difference between the Takara and Hasbro versions (better colour aplications...)?

- From what mpchi says, Prime is $40 in retail on the US, right?

To the best of my knowledge, other than the 79 BB having clear windows, there are no major differences between the hasbro and the takara lines.

Tons of G1 Jazz and Starscream at Target, an entire endcap. I don't think anyone with a Target will have a problem finding them once they get them in. I like the G1 Jazz colors a lot, but I still just don't think the mold itself is worth buying. G1 SS is very nice, but I'm waiting for Thundercracker.

I picked up High Score 100 today. Initially, I had no intention of buying him due to his rather miniature size (he's 1/2 the size of an actual game controller, in contrast to the other Real Gear Robots, which are at full scale), but he's a lot better than I expected. Here are some pics:

highscore01.jpg

highscore02.jpg

highscore03.jpg

highscore04.jpg

highscore05.jpg

High Score 100

Pros: Excellent articulation, nifty Automorph, outstanding detail.

Cons: Could've been Deluxe size to pass for a real game controller.

Edited by areaseven