Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Finished reading it today surprised at the enormous amount of death and lack of humor but I was pleased because voldamort hasn't been EVIL as all hell in the past few books here he shows he true badassness

As a whole series I enjoyed it wouldn't be surprised if she went back and fixed up some little inconsistencies like... thestrals eat meat right *I'm 99% sure this was stated* but here in the 7th book they are randomly grazing... lol

no massive plot holes though I enjoyed the series immensely what did everyone else think?

I loved it. A very satisfying end to what was a surprisingly entertaining series. When the Potter books were first coming out I had no interest at all, expecting something akin to the young teen or books aimed at even younger children I generally despised when I was of the age being targeted. All of the mysteries that had me eagerly awaiting every new volume were wrapped up in a most excellent manner, and most of my favourite side characters got their time in the spotlight. Most of the characters who deserved some form of validation had their shining moment (even Kreacher, and a splendid moment it was). Neville and the sorting hat, wonderful! The casualties really make the end bittersweet, even after all is said and done.

Harry was always my least favourite character in the books, though rarely enough that I disliked the story itself, and even he pulled off his role better than I could have hoped.

I had high hopes for Snape's role in the story, and those hopes were exceeded in ways I hadn't even considered. I look forward to going back and rereading the series one day knowing how it ends. The revelations from Dumbledor and, especially, Snape put a whole new spin on events that happen earlier. Especially Snape in books 3 and 6. Certain things, such that Snape was helping Potter even when Harry didn't realize it, and that Harry's dad was more than a bit of a bully and a git, were made obvious, but...man, the rest. Brilliant. Petunia's dislike of magic and her disgusted cry of Lily running off with "that boy" is now revealed to mean something entirely different than what we imagined at the time. Sheesh, even the Dursleys are cast in a whole new light.

I almost wish the epilogue had described more of the world post-Voldmort. However, the more personal level it engages the reader on is much more satisfying overall. I hear JK Rowling, while done with Potter novels, has mentioned the possibility of an encylopedia, a book like that would be better suited to presenting how the events in the books shape the world afterwards.

No complaints. Right up to Harry's march towards certain death, I thought I knew how it was going to end..and it surprised me. It's not often a story manages that. And it didn't do it in a deus ex machina way as I expected the only way it could.

How the hell did Neville pull Godric's sword from the hat? Griphook had it last running out of the bank, but then it magically can be summoned by the hat? I know that the line in the flashback with Dumbledore was supposed to show you that only in times of need and with great courage can the sword be called upon. So I guess the hat can just conjure the sword as needed, regardless of where it is currently.

The scene at the beginning with Charity Burbage was unnecessary. Its sole purpose was to show that Voldemort was evil. But we've never even heard of her until now. At least I don't think so.Also post wedding and pre Hogswart felt like it dragged on and on. Aberforth was a complete surprise in the sense. It was like, hey, look Albus has family too!

As a series entertaining over all though. Wouldn't put it on LOTR and thing like that though

vinnie

Rowling was on one of the US morning shows, Today, I think with that Meredith Veira or however its spelled. She said that she left the Epilogue very vague on purpose. But she did say that Ron and Harry are both working for the Ministry as Aurors, with Harry as the head Auror. Hermione was head of the Law office, and the 3 of them revolutionized the Ministry of Magic in "radical" ways. The Ministry that you know in the books with its secrecy and stupidity is no longer there. Its a completely new and modernized one. Anywho, the girl that was kissing Ted on the train....name starts with a V, she is actually Ron and Hermione's oldest daughter.

I'm sure there's more. But thats what I gleamed from the article. You can dig around for it on MSNBC if you want.

The scene at the beginning with Charity Burbage was unnecessary. Its sole purpose was to show that Voldemort was evil. But we've never even heard of her until now. At least I don't think so.

Go back and reread the first book, I believe it was. She's one of Hermione's teachers.

one question was it ever clarified >why in gods name< lily got with james every pensive scene she loathed him...

Throughout the flashbacks it was always shown she disliked the things James did to Snape, but she still rather liked James himself. And really, compared to the group Snape hung around, James' antics were really quite tame.

I loved this book too. I wonder why she had it take place in 1997-1998 though? Parents died in 1981, Harry was already a year old or very near to being, add 16 years to get to Harry's age in this book and....1997-1998. Just curious if anyone else knows why.

Chris

Edited by Dobber

I loved this book too. I wonder why she had it take place in 1997-1998 though? Parents died in 1981, Harry was already a year old or very near to being, add 16 years to get to Harry's age in this book and....1997-1998. Just curious if anyone else knows why.

Chris

Because it takes time to write a book?

Chris

She came up with the idea in 1990, so I'm guessing she kind of wanted to start the story around the timieframe of it's inception, and not the first publish date.

???

"Because it takes time to write a book?"

I don't believe that they have ever stated a year in any of the books whether refering to when Harry's parents died or when each book was taking place. This book certainly didn't take 10 years to write smart ass :D. I guess it was just a nod to when the first book was published.

Chris

Edited by Dobber

• 3 years later...

I went to a 3am showing of part 1. Anyone else seen it yet?

hog2a.jpg

I feel the movie was done rather well, maybe a little underwhelming, probably due to the fact I've read the book so many damn times. One thing's for sure, Emma Watson is getting more glorious by the day...

Edited by myk

I went to a 3am showing of part 1. Anyone else seen it yet?

Nope, I haven't... I had the chance to attend a midnight screening of Deathly Hallows, but I don't have a whole lot of use for Harry Potter and I had work in the morning. I handed my ticket off to my girlfriend instead, and this morning she gave me the rundown on the flick. She seemed to think Deathly Hallows was pretty well, even for a Potter flick, and that's saying something after borderline schizophrenic mess that was Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.

Just got back from seeingit. Usual Harry Potter adaptation problems aside, it wasn't that bad. Personally i think cutting the book in half has kinda ruined the passing, though there's no way of fitting the books material into one film so i can look past that.

Probably the best part was seeing the latest Tron: Legacy trailer on the big screen. :p

Will wait for the crowds to die down a bit to see it.

I wish i did the same. There's nothing worse the a cinema room of people who laugh at absolutely everything.

Edited by shiroth

• 3 months later...

hey there, all!

i never did get a chance to see any of the HARRY POTTER films made in the last nine-ish years or so,

nor have i ever read any of the books. me and the family, however, just rented the first six or so

movies in the series from the local library, and we've been through the first two so far.

i must admit, that while i was fully expecting to be underwhelmed going in, i have found myself

rather impressed instead. this is pretty damned good stuff, IMO,pretty much in the same vein of George Lucas

and Steven Spielberg's heydays. i can see why the series had/has garnered such acclaim in the last decade.

i'm looking forward to the balance of the series, and hoping that they kept the quality standards up.

BTW; i found out that Anime/Manga artist "Koge-Donbo" was/is a big HP fan, and she has done some

rather fetching HP fanart, providing one fancies the "Moe" art style, that is;

04.jpg

harry.jpg

hermione.jpg

ron.jpg

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll310/shaorin-chan/Anime/11-1.jpg

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll310/shaorin-chan/Anime/03.jpg

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll310/shaorin-chan/Anime/07.jpg

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll310/shaorin-chan/Anime/10-1.jpg

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll310/shaorin-chan/Anime/08.jpg

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll310/shaorin-chan/Anime/ginny.jpg

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll310/shaorin-chan/Anime/cho.jpg

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll310/shaorin-chan/Anime/riddle.jpg

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll310/shaorin-chan/Anime/draco.jpg

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll310/shaorin-chan/Anime/lupin.jpg

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll310/shaorin-chan/Anime/snape.jpg

Edited by Shaorin

You really should try the books. Personally, I felt some of the movies were very poor representations of the written story, editions 4&5 for example. Trust me on this, find some time to read the story...

It's interesting how dark these stories are. When I was a kid, I *LOVED* Empire Strikes Back. I think there's something about fairy tails in general, that are dark and appealing. I think the climax and payoff is all the sweeter when the hero does triumph in the end!

My wife made me watch the films. And honestly, I didn't like any of them but the Deathly Hollows Part 1. It actually was a good rising action for the prologue of the other 5 films before it. And, it makes me want to see the Deathly Hallows Part 2.