My YF-19 needs someone his own size to pick on.

robodragon

I was just playign around with my 1/60 YF-19 w/Foldbooster and decided to pull out my YF-21 1/72 also. That's when I realized just how bad I need a 1/60 YF-21 w/Fastpack to go with it. I can wait untill after the SV-51 of course.

Let the pics speak for them selfs.

100_0825.jpg

100_0824.jpg

100_0821.jpg

the 21 is still a bad-ass looking plane.

Amen to that Bro

the 21 is still a bad-ass looking plane.

Bah. I disagree.

The 1/72 looks like a flying sandwich of legs and arms from any angle that isn't top down.

I hope the 1/60 is a massive improvement over the 1/72, but it's going to be a challenge for Yamato to make something as line art accurate as their previous valks. The YF-21 uses a lot of anime magic to cram those giant legs into the leg bay and to make those arms magically fold into the side walls or wherever they go.

How they're going to fit everything into a profile this thin is going to be interesting.

mplus-yf21missles.jpg

yf2106.jpg

...Although the D-Stance did a fairly decent job.

yf21_fi037.jpg

yf21_fi057.jpg

the FP release of the yf-22 fixed the under-carriage issue of the first release fairly well. I'm pretty confident that if (when) yamato releases the 1/60 version they'll have the kinks worked out. I'm more curious as to how they're going to get the landing gear in there. I'm thinking they're going to have to make the rear wheels rotate so that the gear well can lay more flush along those belly flaps in battroid mode.

Or just have removable wheels. Which, I wouldn't be opposed to if it mean a slim and sexy side profile.

the FP release of the yf-22 fixed the under-carriage issue of the first release fairly well.

Hey you're right, that is a lot better. I retract my flying sandwich statment. :)

fighter-12.jpg

I still think it could be better though.

This puppy needs to be flat and sleek with a smooth undercarriage.

Of all the possible new Yamato products, the 21 is the only one that i would eagerly pay their outrageous prices for. Hopefully by then the 19 would be easier to find with a decent pricetag.

As for the old 1/72, in spite of its flaws it is one of my favs in my collection. Never desplayed it in battroid, but it looks so cool in fighter.

Yes Of all the old 1/60 and 1/72 The Yf-21 Fast pack is my favorite as well. I love the new YF-19 and know I would love a 1/60 yf-21 as well. Two more pics showing how bad I need a 1/60 YF-21 to go with my YF-19.

100_0827.jpg

100_0826.jpg

I think Yamato will have a hard time making the YF-21 in such a way that it'll have perfect transformation and look half decent, but I sure hope they do.

BTW; Could you post a pic of the fold booster on the cart? I didn't know it comes with the FB/FP package.

yeah, yamato will need to do something new with the rear landing gear. But out of all the valks, the 21 is the one I would be most willing to accept loose parts. For me, the slim profile is so iconic to the design, that an overly thick design, perfect transformation or not, would be a deal breaker.

The 1/72 YF-21 FP is my favorite Yamato toy to date. I hope the 1/60 will become my new favorite.

Me too, because that would mean a toy with

• perfect transformation (if that's even possible with the amount of anime magic the YF-21 uses)
  • near perfect sculpt (might not go together with the above)
  • all the extra's like FP, Ghost etc.
  • tight joints for those dramatic poses
  • and most important...NO QC ISSUES!!!11
Come to think of it, the above list applies to all Macross toys

• 2 weeks later...
Actually, I hope the VF-11B gets released first .... I just prefer its design over the 21 ...

:ph34r:

I think there are about 3 or 4 board members who would agree with you (including me). I mean... this to me is not sexy, and I don't see how Yamato would get even close to anime lines.

box-inner-tray.jpg

fighter-1.jpg

yeah, yamato will need to do something new with the rear landing gear.

The 1/100 Mission Complete Model EX YF-21 introduces a good solution for the landing gear issue. It also has a beatiful profile

The 1/72 Fast Pack YF-21 has the arched back syndrome which makes it horrible IMO. The non fast pack ver doesn't, I prefer it over the FP ver.

post-557-1184711088_thumb.jpg

post-557-1184711133_thumb.jpg

post-557-1184711150_thumb.jpg

The problem is it looks overly bulky while the VF-22 is like a bloody panther jumping on his victim!

As Ruskii said, I hope they don't Yamato this one ..

the forward facing shot has the fast packs on, of course it's going to look bulky. Unlike the yf-19 and VF-0, the yf-21 has the FP slung on the belly.

I can't believe people are going to start taking yamato to task for something that they have never even seen. It's unbelievable. Let's see if they make one, and if they do, lets all take a deep breath and actually wait until we see something before we decide it can't be done. Fraking ridiculous.

Edited by eugimon

I can't believe people are going to start taking yamato to task for something that they have never even seen. It's unbelievable. Let's see if they make one, and if they do, lets all take a deep breath and actually wait until we see something before we decide it can't be done. Fraking ridiculous.

Actually, I've found that's the norm on the MW boards ..... LOL

:lol::lol::lol:

Actually, I've found that's the norm on the MW boards ..... LOL

:lol::lol::lol:

the haters ususally wait till the product/movie/show has been announced before they jump on the bandwagon. This time, there's nothing but speculation and they're already starting.

the forward facing shot has the fast packs on, of course it's going to look bulky. Unlike the yf-19 and VF-0, the yf-21 has the FP slung on the belly.

Oops, I didn't realize that frontal shot had FPs on. My bad. My main point was that a sexy 1/60 or 1/48 VF-11B would seem much less of a task for Yamato to accomplish.

true... except for the magic heatshield.

HA! I just had a Macrossnexus flashback of Sumdumgai's heatshield design.

Hey what about liquid crystals in the canopy? Course, Yamato would not supply the battery.

Edited by ghostryder

If you look at kawamori's line art for the VF-11, the heat shield just kind of appears in battroid. Sumdumagi made a pretty brilliant heat shield design, that's not exactly anime accurate, but I'd say pretty faithful overall.

Sumdumgai's idea:

Yeah my first idea is just too damned complicated, to try to do an accurate heatshield storage. While I think there would be room enough to have the cockpit area be a seperate piece that you could push down, that's gonna be a pain to coax the two halves of the heatshield out. And imagine if the heatshield comes loose from its track, like I occasionally have in transforming the 1/48 VF-1.

I'm going to use this pic to show my idea, since it'll be easier and faster than me drawing my idea out by hand (also because so far my attempts have had be banging my head on the table in frustration).

edit: alright I modified ghostryder's pic to show the way I had in mind. The red is the point at which the nosecone seperates from the main body (yeah it doesnt show up well I know). The purple is a guide that the nosecone follows to a point without coming off, to allow access to the heatshield. The green is a guide like with the 1/48 VF-1 heatshield, with a little peg in it to slide through. The cockpit would be pushed in only a tiny bit to allow the heatshield to slide over the cockpit and allow a small tab at the top of the heatshield, to slide into a slot that would normally be hidden because the cockpit covers it when the heatshield isnt out.

This is a lot easier than my first idea, and makes use of empty space in the nosecone. Plus it wouldn't leave a seam or hinge as with ghostryder's idea (which I think is a pretty good idea, and to clarify I mean that chostryder's idea is pretty good!). Since the cockpit wouldnt have to go in far, this eliminates the problem of the cockpit being too wide to be pushed in enough for the heatshield to come out as in my first idea, as David had pointed out.

On the other hand the VF-11 wouldnt be that much bigger than a VF-1 if I remember correctly, and in 1/60 scale, that's not much room or material to work with...

That swappable canopy/heatshield is sounding really good to me now...

I stole his idea and added:

I took sumdumgai's cool idea and updated it more trying to take into account toy limitations, like plastic thickness and modifying the front heatshield peg location so the front heatshield is flush with the nose in battroid. I put the nosecone track at the widest point of the nose to maximize clearance for the heatshield. I've also enlarged the heatshield - the original one I drew was a bit small in relation to the canopy.

I've also shown how little the cockpit/canopy would need to recess to allow enough room for the heatshile dto lay over.

All in all, I think the nose hase to be enlarged a bit more compared to this line art to accomodate all this junk.

post-3171-1184790235_thumb.jpg