The MW Automotive Thread 3.0

This is really old news, but I thought I'd share this with those who haven't heard of this one.

In 2003, Dodge played around with the Viper V-10 engine by slapping four motorcycle wheels on it. The result: the Tomahawk.

Dodge claimed this bike can do 0-60 in 2.5 seconds and a top speed of 420 mph. Of course, none of those claims have been proven, despite Dodge's interest in taking it out to the Bonneville salt flats.

Dodge sold ten copies of the bike through Neiman-Marcus for $550,000 each as rolling sculptures, as they're not street legal and Dodge intentionally excluded a few key components to make them operational.

Maybe this can be used as an alternative to the Batcycle.

Dodge-Tomahawk-Beach-1920x1440.jpg

2003 Dodge Tomahawk Concept

On the subject of crashes, my friend was fortunate not to be hurt after he was involved in a serious wreck last night. Without going into details, my friend was not at fault and was obeying all traffic laws; I feel the need to mention this due to the type of vehicle and assumptions made when such vehicles are involved in accidents. I took this picture about 24 hours ago at a local car show. Gearheads will see why this one is special.

pc210026resizednm0.jpg

Edited by Wicked Ace

If there's one thing about NASCAR that's unbelievable, it's the fact that the drivers manage to survive the most horrific crashes ever seen.

Casey Atwood, 1999

Geoffrey Bodine, 2000

Jeff Gordon, 2008

Michael McDowell, 2008

It's amazing how similar the crashes of Mike Harmon and Michael Waltrip were, respectively; even more so that both men walked away. There are obvious similarities with the crashes McDowell and the late D. Earnhardt. I imagine the debate will rage for quite some time over whether the HANS device and/or SAFER[?] barrier was the key factor in the latter crash not being fatal for the driver [one should note that McDowell's car appears to have impacted the wall with more force/direction travelling parallel to the wall, as opposed to nearly perpandicular to the wall as with Earnhardt]. One that will require a lot of study/analysis.

McDowell's incident also brings to mind that of Gordon Smiley, while qualifying for the Indy 500 [may he rest in peace]. I still shudder to even think of that one...

If there is a "guy-whose-had-the-worst-crashes-ever-and-lived Award," then Kenny Brack has GOT to be in the front running. This guy's dodged the bullet not once, but twice--had two of the worst looking crashes I have EVER seen. I swear, this guy oughta be playing the lotto, hitting the tables in Vegas, something. Talk about beating the odds.

This is really old news, but I thought I'd share this with those who haven't heard of this one.

In 2003, Dodge played around with the Viper V-10 engine by slapping four motorcycle wheels on it. The result: the Tomahawk.

Dodge claimed this bike can do 0-60 in 2.5 seconds and a top speed of 420 mph. Of course, none of those claims have been proven, despite Dodge's interest in taking it out to the Bonneville salt flats.

Dodge sold ten copies of the bike through Neiman-Marcus for $550,000 each as rolling sculptures, as they're not street legal and Dodge intentionally excluded a few key components to make them operational.

Maybe this can be used as an alternative to the Batcycle.

Dodge-Tomahawk-Beach-1920x1440.jpg

2003 Dodge Tomahawk Concept

It's too bad this thing was never street legal, otherwise it would have done a good job killing off the idiots who thought it was a good/cool idea.

On the subject of crashes, my friend was fortunate not to be hurt after he was involved in a serious wreck last night. Without going into details, my friend was not at fault and was obeying all traffic laws; I feel the need to mention this due to the type of vehicle and assumptions made when such vehicles are involved in accidents. I took this picture about 24 hours ago at a local car show. Gearheads will see why this one is special.

Big Mo'fricken blower? Glad your friend wasn't hurt.

Big Mo'fricken blower? Glad your friend wasn't hurt.

Thanks for your reply -- I'm glad nobody was hurt. I really like how the blower looks like it could have been factory-equipped. My setup is a lot more conspicuous. It may be difficult to see in the first picture, but this car actually has two power adders -- a little treat from the dentist's office. :lol:

pc210022resizedpo0.jpg

Edited by Wicked Ace

Thanks for your reply -- I'm glad nobody was hurt. I really like how the blower looks like it could have been factory-equipped. My setup is a lot more conspicuous. It may be difficult to see in the first picture, but this car actually has two power adders -- a little treat from the dentist's office. :lol:

Ah, the (good?) ol N20. I had suspected that that was the reason for the extra plumbing, but I'm not fully versed with a ll of the new-fangled stuff - I'm far more comfortable with a pair of DCOEs :)

Ah, the (good?) ol N20. I had suspected that that was the reason for the extra plumbing, but I'm not fully versed with a ll of the new-fangled stuff - I'm far more comfortable with a pair of DCOEs :)

Tuning carbs is a dying art. I think the new stuff is a lot easier; it's all plug-and-play nowadays.

Although I studied all of my mechanical interests using the old methods, I still have a lot of respect for what the more modern technologies can produce. It's pretty funny - when I speak to younger tuner guys, they tend to be in awe of the mastery of purely mechanical systems, while I am equally in awe of what all of the electronic and electromechanical stuff can do. I still resist learning some of the newer tech, because there is only so much that my thimble-sized brain can retain :lol:

Although I studied all of my mechanical interests using the old methods, I still have a lot of respect for what the more modern technologies can produce. It's pretty funny - when I speak to younger tuner guys, they tend to be in awe of the mastery of purely mechanical systems, while I am equally in awe of what all of the electronic and electromechanical stuff can do. I still resist learning some of the newer tech, because there is only so much that my thimble-sized brain can retain :lol:

I recall reading a Japanese import oriented car magazine story on the (muscle) cars appearing in the movie 2 Fast 2 Furious. I laughed out loud when I read the description of a 4-bbl carb as a "controlled fuel leak." :lol:

I recall in the 1990s when many of the American performance enthusiasts were converting their EFI cars to carbs due to the decreased cost of getting better breathing; at the time, to get an EFI car's induction system opened up, a low restriction air filter, larger mass airflow sensor, larger inlet tube, larger throttle body (and sometimes throttle body spacer), and better flowing intake manifold cost way more than a bigger CFM carb and intake plenum setup. The money saved could be put toward better cylinder head(s) and cam(s). How times change. . .

Tuning carbs is a dying art. I think the new stuff is a lot easier; it's all plug-and-play nowadays.

I dunno. I think I'd rather take a screwdriver and go at it with a holley than sit at a computer and try to properly map out a fuel/timing curve for an EFI car...

I dunno. I think I'd rather take a screwdriver and go at it with a holley than sit at a computer and try to properly map out a fuel/timing curve for an EFI car...

Most people will never have to map out a fuel/timing curve; (luckily) this is especially true for cars like yours and mine. Tuning software like LS1 Edit, CMR, and SCT for example have built in (often automatically updated from the internet) approximation maps that are tweaked by the person doing the tuning.

As far as tuning carbs, I learned something today. The instruction manual specifies taking the carb off the manifold before changing the jets. I thought to myself, "this seems stupid." Next thing you know, "tink, tink, tink. . . roll . . . uh-oh." :lol:

Well, my car's available performance mods just went from "almost nothing" to "the only thing you'll need": http://www.pfyc.com/pc/WB3007/04NEW/Cartun...+V8+Engine.html

Still, 600HP would blow apart the factory tranny and is more than I could handle I think. (part of the reason my next car will be RWD---no FWD transmission can handle the power, my car is notorious for having bone-stock cars blow their trans all the time at 10K miles or less--even upgraded trans tend to fail with only minor performance mods done)

Well, my car's available performance mods just went from "almost nothing" to "the only thing you'll need": http://www.pfyc.com/pc/WB3007/04NEW/Cartun...+V8+Engine.html

Still, 600HP would blow apart the factory tranny and is more than I could handle I think. (part of the reason my next car will be RWD---no FWD transmission can handle the power, my car is notorious for having bone-stock cars blow their trans all the time at 10K miles or less--even upgraded trans tend to fail with only minor performance mods done)

"450 wheel horsepower" = "600 engine horsepower." :lol:

As far as tuning carbs, I learned something today. The instruction manual specifies taking the carb off the manifold before changing the jets. I thought to myself, "this seems stupid." Next thing you know, "tink, tink, tink. . . roll . . . uh-oh." :lol:

Heh, I've lost more jets and other odds and ends than I can count when working on the Charger's 'carb, and it's not like you can run to Napa and buy some more off of the shelf...

Edited by myk

• 2 weeks later...

BMW just unveiled a new concept that's an homage to what was both legendary and tragic in the company's history. It marks the 30th anniversary of the BMW M1, the company's first and only mid-engine car. Despite its shortcomings from collaborator Lamborghini's bankruptcy to its floundering sales in the showrooms, the M1 started a legacy in the company simply known as the M. For it was the M1 that inspired BMW to produce high-performance versions of their 3 and 5 series models that became instant automotive icons.

2008-BMW-M1-Homage-Concept-BMW-Welt-Munich-1920x1440.jpg

2008-BMW-M1-Homage-Concept-Rear-Angle-1920x1440.jpg

2008-BMW-M1-Homage-Concept-Historical-M1-1920x1440.jpg

(Left) M1 Homage Concept; (Center) 1978 BMW M1; (Right) 1972 BMW Turbo Show Car

2008 BMW M1 Homage Concept

Edited by areaseven

The M1 homage looks fairly true to its roots styling-wise - cool.

The original M1 was indeed problematic in it's gestation and with regards to production issues, but purely as a machine, there's nothing actually wrong with it.

The M1 homage looks fairly true to its roots styling-wise - cool.

The original M1 was indeed problematic in it's gestation and with regards to production issues, but purely as a machine, there's nothing actually wrong with it.

that's what i was going to say, it's also the things that legends are made of, it'd be very exciting to see BMW to give this the OK for production

What an idiot. You know what though? Thank God, if it weren't for accidents people would be asleep until those races were over...

I don't care WHAT epileptic CG glitz crap the Wachowskis put in their little popcorn-flick-childhood-rapefest--it ain't crap compared to the drama that is REAL racing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuDIIcCnpzA...feature=related

Amazing that Ortelli apparently came away from this with only a broken ankle. :blink:

Racing has improved by leaps and bounds over the past years, in regards to safety--but this is still very much a sport of heroes, one that has its participants "diceing with death," as so quaintly observed by the late Denis Jenkinson...

Funny Racing stories.

There have been many amusing stories over the years in F1, indeed in motor racing. I thought it might help pass the time before racing restarts to perhaps relate a few. So if you have any amusing stories about drivers or teams to relate this could be the time and place to do so. I will start the ball rolling with a couple.... please add your own.

Italian gentleman pay driver Giovanni Lavaggi, (whose name literally translates in English as Johnnie Carwash), whose main claim to fame was that at 37 he was the second oldest driver in modern times to make an F1 debut. Another claim to fame was when, unable to qualify inside the newly reintroduced 107% rule he protested Damon Hill who had apparently missed a weight check, hoping the stewards would DSQ Hill and thus allow him to start in his Minardi. The stewards didnt and neither did he.

Another time when he did qualify, albeit last, over a second behind Lamy, during the race was trundling around at the back when he got involved in the pass of the year. As Michael Schumacher and Villeneuve came up to him approaching the treacherous Parabolica corner, the German encountered "a chicane disguised as a Minardi", as Lavaggi inadvertently blocked the Ferrari.

Schumacher backed off so as not to be slowed too much going onto the front straight. But in a true racer's style, and using his oval skills, the Canadian proceeded to make a move around the outside of the World Champion. Schumacher gave him room, and coming onto the front straight, Villeneuve used the slipstream from Giovanni's Minardi, and took the position, going on to record a victory. This link is the commentary of Jonathon Palmer and Murray Walkers as they saw it....

http://www.ozemail.com.au/~lindenbrae/f1re...nds/lavaggi.mp3

His next race for Minardi was his last , as he failed to qualify, Ricardo Rosset qualifying nearly 2 seconds faster! Unbelievably Johnnie Carwash (the literal English translation of his name) had previously WON the prestigous Daytona 24hrs.

His real moment of comedy came earlier in Germany, at Hockenheim in I think 1996. In qualifying, his customer Ford engine blew and he pulled over to park. Casually stepping out of the car, he appeared stuck, before realising the steering wheel was still attached. He undid the wheel and then stood in the cockpit re-attaching the steering wheel.

He seemed to be thinking the hand gestures and calls from those nearby were in adulation of his driving. Unknown to him the expired engine had self ignited and flames were belching from the airbox. For what seemed like ages, Lavaggi stood there blissfully unaware that his head was being fried, before he sensed all was not quite right, looked over his shoulder, saw the flames and in the same move leaped from the car into the air in what can only be described as something from a Marx Brothers movie.

Hardly the blaze of glory he was hoping for..... :wink:

From Kennybrack.com

--------------

Van Diemen gave me a car to use free of charge for the whole year. However to protect their own works team they never gave me any setups. Every time I asked, they answered that theirs is nothing special - they only use "standard setup". I knew that this was not true but I could not figure out a way of getting the information I needed. But through lots and lots of testing I found my own way of setting up the car so it was fast. On the last day of practice before the final championship race I lapped at exactly the same speed as their official driver, Eddie Irvine.

But just before the session closed, we decided to carry out a little practical joke. The last time I passed by the pit lane, a member of my team Jan "Flash" Nilsson, a very good racing driver himself, showed a lap time on my pit board that was half a second quicker than the lap record. The whole pit panicked. Eddie threw himself in his car again, only to find that the track was closed. Later we sat in our bus laughing when it knocked on the door. The vice president of Van Diemen came by to congratulate me on my fantastic lap. First, he said, "We got you fastest out there, Kenny" then he took a deep breath and asked, "By the way, what springs are you running lad," I answered, "Well - exactly as you I guess, the standard setup."

Half an hour later, Eddie's car was in pieces. Even the president of the factory was on his knees in oil trying to figure out what was wrong with the car.

The antics between Berger and Senna at McLaren were legendary but in case some have not heard of them, I will start with these.....

Berger and Alesi were sent to collect Jean Todts very special hand built Lancia Delta from the factory to the test track, when doing the testing for Ferrari, and completely trashed it. Jean Alesi lost control of the car after Berger unexpectedly pulled the handbrake They "parked" it on it's roof, right outside the Marinello factory climbed out and tried to not look suspicious when they walked into the building, telling Jean they had damaged it slightly parking it!.

Or the time when Senna was showing off his new briefcase to Gerhard "It's damage proof, made from carbon fibre boasted Senna"

"Is it? Lets see!".Gerhard Berger chucked Ayrton Senna's briefcase out of the helicopter they were flying in, about 500 foot above the racetrack. They landed and did find the briefcase.

In retaliation Senna nicked Berger's wallet and had all the credit cards bolted and superglued together, so Berger put live frogs in Senna's hotel room . . . . .Senna had a thing about reptiles -- he hated them. Berger put 99 frogs is Senna's room. Knowing how analytical about eveything Senna was, he figured that Senna would search all night and day for the 100th frog. Senna told Berger that he had found them all that it took until 2AM to get rid of all the frogs, to which Berger then asked "what about the snake? Did you find that?"

Senna changed rooms the next day.

Best known is probably an incident in which Berger replaced Senna's passport photo with what Ron Dennis described as "an equivalent-sized photo of male genitalia". Senna's fame meant he rarely had his passport checked, but this was in Argentina. Berger's prank resulted in airport customs officials holding the Brazilian in custody for 24hours whilst all his paperwork was put in order and the correct photo put in his passport.

Senna and Brazilian compatriot Mauricio Gugelmin decided to fill Berger's shoes with shaving foam on a fast train ride to a dinner in Japan. Having been forced to attend the dinner wearing a tuxedo with sneakers, Berger vowed for retribution. It was at the Japanese Grand Prix a few days later that Gugelmin was approached by Joseph Leberer, the McLaren team nutritionist, offering fresh orange juice. Ever vigilant, Mauricio declined the suspicious offer.....

It later transpired that One hour before the race starts Berger crushed four sleeping pills into that juice and sent it to me, hoping I would drink it so I would pass out at the start of the race I had travelled half way round the world to see, in which the world title would be decided that year. The cars roaring by at the track and I snoring in the cabin, can you imagine it?"

.....and Berger now complains his drivers dont take their racing serious enough!

WTF?! That stupid f'in dog-van from Dumb and Dumber ranked higher on the list than Kowalski's Challenger? Tom Cruise gets that NASCAR stocker on the list, but not McQueen's iconic 917? What pathetic DI*KS made this list up, anyway?

Apparently, the Mach 5 for the new Speed Racer movie isn't even a running car--I read on some photographer's blog page that only one of the prop cars could move under its own power; it had like a small elec motor, and was capable of a blistering 5 mph or something.

WTF?! That stupid f'in dog-van from Dumb and Dumber ranked higher on the list than Kowalski's Challenger? Tom Cruise gets that NASCAR stocker on the list, but not McQueen's iconic 917? What pathetic DI*KS made this list up, anyway?

Apparently, the Mach 5 for the new Speed Racer movie isn't even a running car--I read on some photographer's blog page that only one of the prop cars could move under its own power; it had like a small elec motor, and was capable of a blistering 5 mph or something.

Relax, it was a list of "most memorable" not best or coolest.

Even then I think I'd disagree with some of their choices, but to John Q. Public, the dumb and dumber van and the days of thunder car are way more well known than anything from vanishing point or le mans. Seriously.