Official - Weapons Banter Thread

Mechamaniac

I know how you feel with holding glocks I just dont like it that much but some other guns feel very differnt a few weeks ago a friend brought brought over his tracker 41 taurus and looks sweet and is super light being titanium but the grips feel like a sponge and sadly its made that way since the gun being so light it the sponge grip acts as a shock absorber as it likes to twist in your hand. Being 41mag it has killing power so its a great home def gun but a horrible gun to practice with unless you like to have like carple tunnel in a few days.

H_425SH4C.jpg

Edited by Zentrandude

Does anyone here know of a handgun/long gun range in the Surrey/GVRD area of British Columbia? Too much time in this thread and a visit to the Wild West Shooting Gallery in West Ed. has given me the desire to start this hobby on my own, but I can't find any place that'll allow said hobby at all.

Cory, theres at least two or three ranges out in the lower mainland, but since its been nearly 20 years since I lived there I couldn't give you their names. You might want to check out www.canadiangunnutz.com for info. There shooters from across the country who can steer you in th right direction.

• 2 weeks later...

Need help remembering a movie title. I saw this movie about 8-10 years ago, where the hero used a short barrelled 8 shot revolver, which was probably a S&W N-frame in .357mag with either a 2" or 3" barrel.

I only have very vague memories of the movie, but I seem to remember at the end of the movie, the hero has fired 6 shots, so the bad guys think his revolver is empty. Then the hero goes on to kill the last two bad guys with shot # 7 & 8.

It's bugging the hell out of me that I can't remember the movie name as I'd like to watch it again.

Can anybody help me out with what movie this is?

Graham

Nope, definitely wasn't Blood Work, way before that.

For some reason I had it in mind that it was True Romance, but nope, just rewatched True Romance for the first time in years and I was mistaken. The film I'm thinking of should be from about the same time period as True Romance though and have a fairly youngish lead actor.

Oh and N-Frames rock in any caliber. Wish I still had my 629.

Graham

Well it didn't come from Atlantis, but my 'dream weapon" showed up today. This thing is incredible for the price. The bluing is deep, inky blue/black, fit and finish seem very close & tight, and the heft is just right. The cylinder spins nice and freely at half-cock and it makes the legendary four clicks to cock (old timers said it spelled C-O-L-T) and when it is at full cock it is tight! The grips have nice, plain stained finish as opposed to the glossy varnish on my Uberti 1851. After a thorough external inspection I've declared it "flawless." When I get ahold of my dad's Chapman tool kit I'll break it down to check out the internals and clean out the gunky oil it was covered in for shipping.

Well it didn't come from Atlantis, but my 'dream weapon" showed up today. This thing is incredible for the price. The bluing is deep, inky blue/black, fit and finish seem very close & tight, and the heft is just right. The cylinder spins nice and freely at half-cock and it makes the legendary four clicks to cock (old timers said it spelled C-O-L-T) and when it is at full cock it is tight! The grips have nice, plain stained finish as opposed to the glossy varnish on my Uberti 1851. After a thorough external inspection I've declared it "flawless." When I get ahold of my dad's Chapman tool kit I'll break it down to check out the internals and clean out the gunky oil it was covered in for shipping.

320923[/snapback]

Pics...Pics... :)

• 3 months later...
Guest Bromgrev

Time to resurrect this thread with news of the kind of weapons training undergone by the women of today's armed forces. What exactly are those two Swedish soldiers up to, and is that really how the Turkish army trains their female personnel to brace a mortar?

post-2852-1133457172_thumb.jpgpost-2852-1133457227_thumb.jpg

From the ever-informative Iran Defence Forum

How about a semi-auto, ATF friendly FG42 replica?

http://www.fg42.net/news1.html

We plan to have for sale, by August 2006, an ATF approved, semiauto only first model FG42. It will be a duplicate of the original with the exception of the full auto feature,which will be eliminated, and will chamber the originally intended cartridge. There will be no external modifications to the original design and it will disassemble as originally designed. There will be no internal modifications other than our proprietary semi auto mechanism, which utilizes much of the original design and the elimination of the full auto features. Our license will not permit us to offer any full auto conversion parts or services. Original full auto parts will not fit or function in our receiver due to ATF mandated design constraints.

A bayonet will be provided if it is allowed by the ATF. Accessories will include a 10 and 20 round magazine, original sling.  A live fire flash suppressor or a blank fire suppressor attachment will be available depending on your requirements.

We will be accepting pre-production deposits after we receive approval of our design from the BATF. We will asking for a deposit of $200.00 for each rifle ordered. Deposits will be kept in an escrow account and will be fully refundable if we are unable to deliver a product as indicated. Deposits will not be used for

development or production of this rifle. At this time we estimate the price will be $4200.00 USD per rifle. Delivery will be approximately August 2006.

Production and development costs for this project are very substantial as there are no original spare parts to work with. Every part will be new roduction ,utilizing the finest available material.  Total production will be between 200 and 300 rifles. Serial numbers will start at #2004.  #2001 is the ATF test sample and

#2002/#2003 are production demonstrators.  The receiver will be marked as originally produced. The original production code fzs will be replaced with dew [license holders initials]. A second model FG42 with a faithfully reproduced sheetmetal receiver will be offered if the first model project is financially successful. If enough interest is generated, a scope and mount assembly will be offered at a later date. The license holder does not plan to personally engage in exporting this rifle. Private parties in the export business are welcome to contact us.

Somebody out there is crazy enough to buy that repro FG42... if they are 4 grand crazy is yet to be seen.

348936[/snapback]

*raises hand*

My current plan is to find one of those mail-order brides. You know....the ones who pay you to bring them and their family over?

I didn't say it was a good plan. :unsure:

hey bromgrev,your post about the chicks got me thinking of the special i saw on history channel about the women who serve in israel's armed forces.i think they were saying that all citizens serve at 1 time or another,even women.watching a sexy chick train on the range with a full-auto uzi was pretty hot.

my last girlfriend served some time in the people's republic of china's army for some time too.i loved hearing about the training she had with the AK-47.

i was very happy when my current girlfriend told me she'd love to go to the range & learn how to use my XD-9MM.

it's great when your women are cool with you having guns & enjoy shooting them & collecting them,but it's an even greater joy for me when my lady wants to shoot too.now,i know that if i happen to be away when a scum-bag breaks in,she'd be safe & smoke the guy without hesitating just like i would.

i've had alot of chicks ask me to show them how to shoot my guns.the 1st time was when my buddy's girl wanted to try my pistol-grip mossberg 590 12 guage.i was very hesitant,but she was very excited to try,so i loaded some bird-shot & gave it to her & taught her what to do & BOOM!!!!.then she turned to me & asked me to load some #4 turkey loads or 00buck if i have it please.i was shocked,but i've since learned that most girls who want to shoot are just as hardcore as us guys are.when i 1st taught a lady to shoot my 9mm at a range,i found that the only part that scared them was when the spent shell ejected.it seems to always target your face,but i,ve found that that didin't even phase them at all if you warn them.

alot of guys fantasize about lara croft from tomb raider,but it may not be neccessary any more guys,our very own wives & girlfriends may already be more hardcore than she will ever be :)

i'd like to know how many of my fellow gun enthusiasts here have wives or girlfriends interested in guns/shooting.i'll bet it's more than we think.btw,guys,if you,ve never asked your girl if she'd like to try,do it man,i'll bet the answer will be yes more often than no.

Well my wife is current military, double warzone vet as well. She went through army training just like me a looooong time ago but because she is an officer and in a medical unit (stateside only now) the only regular exposure to weapons she currenlty gets on the job is saying hi to the base security detail or carrying her M9... which she no longer does (riding a desk in a VA means no sidearm).

The two of us have always been "firearms enthusiasts" and we both together own a small arsenal. We are both licensed legal CCW carriers, we both have military weapons training as well as a lot of civilian NRA and private group training. I'm an NRA certified instructor and she can outshoot me with a M9 a lot of times. Our circle of friends jokingly call us "Burt and Heather (Gummer)" all the time (if anyone gets that joke you get ten points).

L's (my wife) and other military women are the ecception and not the rule however... (just in case Jemstone wanders in I am not trying to be sexist here) but it has been my experience that the lion's share of women are afraid of firearms, in a lot of cases they are irrationally afraid of them. Talk to your average woman on the street and the usual answer you will get is not just "I dislike guns" but "I HATE guns". I'm the first to believe that this irrational fear stems from no exposure to firearms or the only exposure being through dramatized and out of proportion hollywood movies. I would say on average that for every ten women you meet, eight of them will be fervantly against firearms. To be fair a lot of men are anti-firearm as well but their machismo prevents them from vocally saying it... a lot of men are just as afraid and uneducated about weapons as women but they hide it well and "lack the balls" to just come out and say "I HATE guns" like a woman would.

It's also my feeling that those people can't be swayed. They irrationally hate firearms and there is nothing you can say or do to change their mind. Just the way of the world.

i've encountered a very different attitude from women about guns.i've almost never had a lady that was a friend or girlfriend have this irrational fear of guns.most that i know are pretty good shots,even from the beggining.are the comments of womens profitiency with firearms & performance in military situations derived from data obtained from studies conducted soley in the us? if israel & china continue to have women serve in their armies & train them side by side with men to fight with assault weapons,isn't their a reason for that? wasn't a peasant woman in vietnam fighting with her male viet-cong counterparts just as deadly with that heavy AK? i'll have to admit,most of the girls i've shot with have been foreign born.i'm curious to know if the irrational fear some women have is a localized phenomenon. :unsure:

Hey, the weapons thread is back! Well, let me start off by saying that I am now expanding my collection to include anti-tank weapons. Here is a couple of shots of my newest addition, the AT4 rocket launcher:

IM000019.gif

Edited by Noriko Takaya

i'd like to know how many of my fellow gun enthusiasts here have wives or girlfriends interested in guns/shooting.i'll bet it's more than we think.btw,guys,if you,ve never asked your girl if she'd like to try,do it man,i'll bet the answer will be yes more often than no.

349346[/snapback]

Living in the People's Republic of Maryland I can tell you that there are plenty of women interested in the shooting sports where I live. However, it seems the closer you get to cities like Annapolis and Rockville and Columbia the attitude changes and the gun grabbing mentality takes over.

ah,maryland is my 2nd home.i frequent "select-fire" indoor range with mechamaniac when i go shooting.i love that place,i've never been to a place that rents you full-auto weapons to try.my only option here in delaware near my house is the police range & it's weak compared to "select-fire" :)

Edited by valkyrietestpilot

When my wife and I were just dating, I took her out shooting. She has never been anti-gun, but she was afraid of guns, and unsure in general.

I taught her to shoot using the same fundamentals taught to me by my Father, The U.S. Army, and the Police department, and after that she's cool. It didn't take her long to realize that it was a helluva lot more fun to shoot my AK from the hip than it was from the shoulder. :p I gotta say, I was more than a little aroused by that. :ph34r:

• 2 months later...

ok, well this thread looks like its been abandoned for some time, i hope you dont' mind me resurecting it for my own purposes.

I recently dug my old Marlin .22 out of storage and would like to remove the barrel for cleaning.

I don't have any manuals or anything for it, and marlins web site doesn't talk at all about this paticular gun.

the guns info is:

Glenfield Mod.70 by the Marlin Firearms co.

Where would be a good place to start looking for information about how to care for this little riffle?

I am sure its been mentioned already somewhere in these 60 pages if so I think its worthy of a bump in thought!

The Weirding Modules from the original Dune movie was a bad ass weapon that just looked sweet :D

MUA'DIB!

post-2668-1140717492.jpg

I am sure its been mentioned already somewhere in these 60 pages if so I think its worthy of a bump in thought!

The Weirding Modules from the original Dune movie was a bad ass weapon that just looked sweet  :D

MUA'DIB!

373091[/snapback]

The wha da what from wha?

Bp.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

My newest toy to solve my ongoing stalker problem for good. Remington's SPR453 autoloader 12 gauge shotgun.

SPR453shotgun.jpg

Odd that the 28" barrel version is lighter than the 24" tho. I'd say it's a good investment instead of having the cops come by every so often due to idiots.

Edited by Jemstone

Nice choice, remmys are quite reliable given a good diet of the right shells. You may look into getting an 18" barrel for that guy if you intend to swing it around indoors... but if it's intent is also to double as a sporting game weapon then that 18 is not a choice barrel. Any particular reason you went with the SPR rather than say a Rem 1100?

And you most likely already know this but remember the two "Dos" of self defense with an autoloader shotgun: Birdshot does not stop aggressive intruders and only use high dram shells to ensure the auto cycles right. Best bet is a nice 00 Buck high dram shell like the 3.5". That will knock a person down and then some.

DeathHammer: that's a terrible thing to say! Why, women officers are just as competent and capable of doing the job as any man... :huh:

www.killsometime.com/Video/Files-1952196/Women-Cops.wmv

But seriously. Male, female, whatever--anybody that bad ought to have their gun & badge taken away right on the spot. "Just, go home. Go! Hell naw, we ain't givin you a ride in the car, just walk. Go home!"

Edited by reddsun1

Nice choice, remmys are quite reliable given a good diet of the right shells. You may look into getting an 18" barrel for that guy if you intend to swing it around indoors... but if it's intent is also to double as a sporting game weapon then that 18 is not a choice barrel. Any particular reason you went with the SPR rather than say a Rem 1100?

Oh, I wanted one but simply couldn't afford their asking price for it. So I went for the next best thing in my price range and this was kind of last minute so I didn't have time to shop around. Quite sad.

And you most likely already know this but remember the two "Dos" of self defense with an autoloader shotgun: Birdshot does not stop aggressive intruders and only use high dram shells to ensure the auto cycles right. Best bet is a nice 00 Buck high dram shell like the 3.5". That will knock a person down and then some.

376693[/snapback]

Yeah, it's useful having an ex army sergeant for a dad (plus I've seen too many firearm follies that were not funny).