Who is your favorite action movie heroine?

37 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite action movie heroine?

• Ellen Ripley, Aliens
    • Any of the angels from Charlie's Angels
    • The Bride, Kill Bill
    • Trinity, The Matrix trilogy
    • Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    • Selene, Underworld
    • Pam Grier - Foxy Brown, etc.
    • Cynthia Rothrock - bunch of straight to video/cable action flicks
    • Michelle Yeoh - Tomorrow Never Dies, CTHD, etc.
    • Other

I voted for Ripley. While I can't stand Sigourney Weaver anymore, Ripley from Alien and Aliens was kick-ass character.

My favorite action babes:

Carrie Fisher - Star Wars

Joanne Whalley - Willow

Kelly Hu - Xmen 2

Leonor Varela - Blade II

Milla Jovovich - Fifth Element

Jennifer Garner - Alias

Carrie-Anne Moss - Matrix

Honorable Mention:

Jenette Goldstein - Aliens (too masculine to put with the rest)

Angelina Jolie - Tomb Raider (crappy movies, but I love me that nutcase)

Worst:

Halle Berry - X2

Honorable Mention:

Jenette Goldstein - Aliens (too masculine to put with the rest)

Oh yeah, forgot about her... I really loved the character's attitude in that movie! The machinegunner, no less!

one of the great lines in SCI FI history:

Hudson: Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?

Vasquez: No, have you?

:D

My vote is for Jennifer Garner, though. shes ultra hot and kicks all kinds of ass. Uma Was great in Kill Bill, too.

one of the great lines in SCI FI history:

Hudson: Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?

Vasquez: No, have you?

:D

Here's an interesting tidbit on one of those famous lines from Aliens:

Link

"She thought they said `illegal aliens' and signed up..." said Hudson. This line (directed towards Vasquez) was in inside joke amongst the actors. Jenette Goldstein (Vasquez) had gone to the audition thinking the film would be about illegal immigrants. She arrived with waist-long hair and lots of makeup. Everyone else was wearing military fatigues.

Exo, where's the Mighty Michelle Yeoh in your list? :huh:

For some reason I hold Michelle Yeoh and Zhang Ziyi on some different level. I can't figure it out... The rest of the other girls were more like comic book figures. While the action in CTHD was unrealistic, it was more than a comic book type movie. I know people would disagree...

Exo, where's the Mighty Michelle Yeoh in your list?  :huh:

For some reason I hold Michelle Yeoh and Zhang Ziyi on some different level. I can't figure it out...

That's probably because they can run circles around all the other women on and OFF the camera. :p

The rest of the other girls were more like comic book figures.  While the action in CTHD was unrealistic, it was more than a comic book type movie.  I know people would disagree...
Actually, I agree. I think that's why Thelma and Louise was the only movie where the women kinda struck me as "real" action heroes because they were not over the top like super heroes.

I thought about putting Jodie Foster's Clarice Starling in the list, but decided not to since The Silence of the Lambs wasn't exactly an action movie, even though she did carry the movie.

Foxy Cleopatra... what did she do action-wise other than posing with a gun? :D I think Sistah Girl and White She Devil from Undercover Brother did more action scenes than she did.

K643-4a.jpg

Edited by Jolly Rogers

I thought about putting Jodie Foster's Clarice Starling in the list, but decided not to since The Silence of the Lambs wasn't exactly an action movie, even though she did carry the movie.

Foxy Cleopatra... what did she do action-wise other than posing with a gun? :D

Seriously.... most of the chicks (ahem... female action stars) on your list have done nothing other than look pretty and hold a gun. CGI and bad writing does not make a Revlon girl an asskicker. I'll give special passes to those who actually did martial arts training. But let's face it... "Selene from Underworld, cuz she's hot" is not a real ringing endorsement of how far women have come in cinema as action counterparts to men.

I'll take Ripley or Pam Grier for being among the first to really change people's perceptions of women.

I'll take Foster as Starling simply because it is the best female characterization and movie brought up this far.

And I'll take Angelina Jolie, because, like EXO, I am just a man who loves that nutjob. ;)

Seriously.... most of the chicks (ahem... female action stars) on your list have done nothing other than look pretty and hold a gun.

That's I thought that that's what this list is about... And probably the exact reason I didn't include the CTHD women. I was questioning putting Princess Leia in because as as hard as they tried, she doen't strike me as the glamorous type (but hey, she goes by the book ;) )

I was judging from the list on the poll.

If where talking about strong (willed) women then Clarice Sterling would be no.1. But let's face it, it wasn't an "action" role (damn JR beat me to it). The aforementioned Thelma and Louise would be up there. I'd add Linda Hamilton, Michelle Yeoh and Zhang Ziyi, Pam Grier and Michelle Rodriguez.

CGI and bad writing does not make a Revlon girl an asskicker.

IMO, it does, well... minus the bad writing, but Trinity, Lady Deathstrike, and the rest on my list were kickass. That's why Angelina Jolie was exiled to honorable mention and I purposely left out Kate Beckinsdale and pointed out Milla Jovovich from the Fifth Element and not from Resident Evil...

I'm sure many would still disagree, but that's why there's a poll AND a discussion... ^_^

Seriously.... most of the chicks (ahem... female action stars) on your list have done nothing other than look pretty and hold a gun. CGI and bad writing does not make a Revlon girl an asskicker. I'll give special passes to those who actually did martial arts training. But let's face it... "Selene from Underworld, cuz she's hot" is not a real ringing endorsement of how far women have come in cinema as action counterparts to men.

I'll take Ripley or Pam Grier for being among the first to really change people's perceptions of women.

I'll take Foster as Starling simply because it is the best female characterization and movie brought up this far.

And I'll take Angelina Jolie, because, like EXO, I am just a man who loves that nutjob. ;)

I was not the one that put the "cus she's hot" after "Selene from Underworld". Others did. :)

When I started this poll, I was struggling to come up with 10 choices, or 9 + "other". You can see my half-assed attempt to fill the slots by using actual actress names instead of well recognized characters like the first section of the list. :p I try to steer away from the "damsel in distress" type of female leads and stick with the ones who can actually take care of themselves and take charge while they're at it (thus my reason for not including Princess Leia in the list - she's got the right attitude but not the goods to back it up). As you can see, even Trinity doesn't technically fit the bill, as she needs Neo to bail her out on at least one occassion.

While there are strong women in cinema, by restricting the genre to action films, I think women have a long way to go. For every Ripley, we have at least a dozen male equivalent out there blowing stuff up and having all the asskicking fun.