Cheap and easy beginner's kit

RDClip

I'm thinking of starting building models. But the thing is there are many macross models out there. I was wondering if anyone can suggest to me a cheap (in price, not quality) and relatively simple model for me to start with. I would like to have one that requires painting and cement just so i can learn to properly use these.

P.S. you may be asking why just don't go out and buy any normal model. Well, i would like it to be a macross model so there would i would have motivation to finish it.

Anyway thanks to anyne who has any suggestions.

Yeah, the 1/100 fighter mode kits are cheap and still produce a nice model, though they don't come with pilot figures. <_<

Stay away from the battroid and gerwalk kits though because no matter how much work you put into them, you will probably be disappointed with the finished kit. They have terrible proportions.

The 1/100 destroid kits are pretty good too, though they can be a little harder to find.

Just take your time and don't rush yourself and you will be able to produce some good results with those kits. Welcome to Macross modeling madness!! :lol:

I recommend the Bandai 1/144 scale kits from Macross 7:

http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/models...bandai_1994.htm

They do not require glue during assembly (but they kind of need it on some sections) and there are plenty of "holes" in the resulting models that require some putty - if you want to fill them in.

They also don't break the bank. I picked up the VF-11 last year for ï¿¥525 (or was that ï¿¥300?) I'm not sure how much mark-up you'll see if you buy from an importer overseas. Nevertheless, the kits do result in some pretty decent models, and the battroid is quite poseable.

I recommend the Bandai 1/144 scale kits from Macross 7:

http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/models...bandai_1994.htm

They do not require glue during assembly (but they kind of need it on some sections) and there are plenty of "holes" in the resulting models that require some putty - if you want to fill them in.

They also don't break the bank. I picked up the VF-11 last year for ï¿¥525 (or was that ï¿¥300?) I'm not sure how much mark-up you'll see if you buy from an importer overseas. Nevertheless, the kits do result in some pretty decent models, and the battroid is quite poseable.

Personally I don't like the Bandai 1/144s. I find they are very small, malproportioned (the VF-11's nose anybody?) and not very model-y. I'd say the Bandais or Ariis are better practice models overall because they expose you to a full range of model skills at once, but not at a difficult level.

They arent really advanced as far as construction but they require a good hand at finishing to make the best results of the detail in the kit. Hasegawa has always had really fine recessed detail that can easily be lost under a coat of paint.

If you do get one of the older kits please dont let that put you off building. Just remember that they were designed in the early to mid 80s.

I have a Hasegawa VF-1 Battroid kit - and the fine detail turned me off of building kits (combined with some non-modelling related interests.)

Personally, I don't recommend starting with a Hasegawa kit, unless you are very dedicated, serious, and are willing to work on it for at least a month. Despite Noyhauser's comments (I haven't noticed the concerns mentioned) the 1/144 Bandai Macross 7 kits are quite easy, and a single model can be completely assembled in less than a day (of course applying putty, glue and paint will add a couple of days.)

Nevertheless, a good starter kit, that's great for giving a confidence boost, and won't have you banging your head against the wall due to the complex instructions in Japanese. ;)

I think i'm going to get a 1/144 Bandai VF-11. I've wanted to add different valks to my collection (which is composed of VF-1's at the moment) and it'll be less than $20 shipped so i won't feel to bad if i screw it up.

Anyway, thanks for everyone's input :)

On a side note, i would think that the kits that transform into all three modes would be more complicated. Are they?

Yes, the transformable kits are more complicated and much less forgiving. Get glue in the wrong spot, or leave some flash or sprue on the parts and the kit will not work. Really, you just need to take more time during assembly and keep your assembly as clean as possible. Also, taking the time to make sure the glue bonds are secure before moving on to the next step helps immensely when building a transformable kit. As long as you can make a clean, error free assembly, the transforming kits will go together fine. It's all basic skills, but with less room for error. Then, after they are built, you have paint scraping issues and delicate parts that tend to break when transforming.

Actually, I would suggest you build a few of the 1/100 kits mentioned above. Then, build a couple modern fighter jet kits, like a cheaper Hasegawa or Fujimi F-16 or F-18. Take your time building those and try out some painting techniques. Then go ahead and give a Hasegawa Valk a try. After you have built some of the older cheaper Macross kits, you will definitely appreciate the quality and fit of the Hasegawa kits. If you are patient with the Hasegawa kit, it will build up just fine without much problem. The thing that really brings a model to life though is the paint job and that will take time and practice and experience which you can only get by doing it yourself.

Good luck and remember, the best way to learn how to build a model is to start building, so go ahead and get to it! :D

Edited by jardann

The Wave 0S and 0A look to be fairly simple in build. All you need to do is paint 'em.

I've been checking around ebay and i haven't found a single one of these kits. Any idea where i might find one or how much they are?

Edited by RDClip

I've been checking around ebay and i haven't found a single one of these kits. Any idea where i might find one or how much they are?

The VF-0A isn't out now . It's release date is March. The VF-0S cost 1900Yen+tax ~16$ for Japan. My only found on eBay isn't worth mentioning. Too expensive.

The VF-0A isn't out now . It's release date is March. The VF-0S cost 1900Yen+tax ~16$ for Japan. My only found on eBay isn't worth mentioning. Too expensive.

wow. nice box though.

I'm in the same boat you are, dude. I bought a bunch (20) of old Arii models that were in a bundle on ebay, and since i'm new to modeling, I started out with those.

The battroids are kinda cheesy, but I had alot of fun building them, and I learned alot of cool things. :D

:ph34r:

I bought a few of these Arii kits and they're rather easy to build, but I think somethings like the hands are way to big and or out of proportion. I have also built two of Bandais 1/144 kits (VF-17 and VF-19) and they're really easy to build and has much better fit than the Arii kits, and in my opinion have better proportions.

I also have a Yellow Sub VF-11B resin kit, that looks very nice, but that have to wait until I have the appropriate skills :)

ChaosWarrior

Edited by ChaosWarrior

In all honesty, do a search. I think we've talked about EVERYTHING on this site. It's here somewhere!

Here's a 1/72nd transformable valk (evilbay): http://cgi.ebay.com/Bandai-1-72-Scale-VF-1...8QQcmdZViewItem

Other than private stocks, they're hard to find! PM Ranger565. He still sells old classic kits. They harder to build, but a lot of fun. - MT