1/60 YF19 rant

Jawjaw

If you come up with a solution to the shoulder issue, let me know.

While the shoulders not sitting totally flush doesn't bother me, if there's an easy fix/mod, I won't hesitate to do it. :p

On mine, it's more solid in fighter mode than my VF-0S, but that's just mine and I haven't transformed it either so maybe that's why.

-Kyp

Edited by Kyp Durron

Haterist, The little shoulder tabs inside the shoulders don't force them outwards from what i can tell, if anything they're not putting enough tension against the shoulder which is why they fall out in battroid mode but since i'm at home with nothing to do i'll try out and edit this post in the next 5 minutes.

*edit*

didn't make a difference in allowing the shoulder to sit flush... i'm working through my own solution at the moment though.

the little tan plate didn't make enough room? or it made no difference whatsoever?

i was sure if i removed that piece i could lose the shoulder gap! darn it, i wish i was home right now fiddling with my toy. let us know what you come up with.

On mine, it's more solid in fighter mode than my VF-0S, but that's just mine and I haven't transformed it either so maybe that's why.

-Kyp

the YF-19 out of the box is ridiculously solid, but after a few transformations the hips and wing roots don't lock in as tightly in fighter mode. When "swooshing" it around the room usually either one of the hips unlock or a wing root will unlock, where as my VF-0 remains very tight all around.

Haterist, yeah i was hoping for the best but the removal of the shoulder tabs had no positive/negative effect. I'm working on a few solutions but i forgot that i left my tool bag at my other house since we're renovating it. So what i have in mind will have to wait until i can get to the other house. <_<

i had all the same problems but i was able to solve them pretty fast. i've transformed mine several times since i bought it without any broken pieces or stress marks. pretty happy with mine and mine was $180 shipped. :ph34r:

whenever i have trouble locking the wing roots in the calfs, it usually means the calf itself is too long and not shortened all the way. push the calf up into the knee joint to make sure it is in the most shortened position. then, press the legs up against the arms and shoulder to make sure they are locked in position before you position the wing roots. if the calves are locked in the right place then the wing roots should also lock in the right place no problem.

if the wing roots still don't lock right then i can't help you, but my guess would be the funky elbows must be in the wrong position or something must not be right with the positioning of the arms and shield.

as far as the nose fuselage portion being too difficult, you just gotta pull it apart really hard like graham does in the vid. the problems i had with this section stem from the misleading instructions that yamato includes. it says that you are supposed to push down on the nose, but this is the last thing that you want to do. want you want to do is just pull hard and try to elongate the neck portion of the fuselage as much as possible, and once the tab comes loose try to sneak the tab up top and it will loosen on its own automatically. besides getting a tiny paint chip on the black portion behind the cockpit, i haven't had any problems when i do this the right way. and now that i know it is possible to chip the black section, i can do it with a lot of force and still guide the tab so it doesn't bump the black section.

Edited by cyde01

...I still haven't transformed mine. LOL.

It's just chilling in my display case sitting pretty in Fighter Mode.

Thats what i should have done with my YF 19, but i'm happy leaving it in batroid mode now, since i'm too lazy trying to transform it back and sort out the problems.

I worked through a solution a little while ago, and you can see the difference of how the shoulder sits flush in the left compared to the right head on. The fix is far from easy, took the shoulder apart (which is glued together throughout), then sanded down a very small portion of the seem (more so on the part closest to the swivel joint) and then glued/screwed it back together.

IPB Image

Up top however, is a different story; there is no way (that i can see) to rid this gap between the swivel and the shoulder piece, but my main concern was the fix above anyway.

\IPB Image

Edited by emajnthis

When you do the other arm can you take pics for a step-by-step explanation.

I sent this member a PM, asking kindly for a step-by-step to be put into the pinned YF-19 Fix/Modification thread in the Customization forum. Hopefully keeping all this type stuff in one place will save our sanity.

This YF-19 makes me want to cry. On the one hand it looks beutiful. The design is great, as in many ways I find it to be the easist of all my valks to transform. But all the factory flaws right out the gate have me really put off. Yamato was on the upswing in terms of QC with the later releases of the VF-1 1/48 and Scopdog, but seemed to have really plumetted again with the Garland and 19. I omit the zero because other than some bad experience with a broken tail fin spike (which I was able to get replaced) I have not had a single problem with my VF-0S.

I finally got to opening 1/60 YF-19 after sitting on the drafting table for a couple of weeks. And after reading what you guys have talked about so far...I'll probably leave mine too in "plane" mode for a while.

Before hitting the sack last Saturday, I figured to release some steam and relax a bit. This was taken with a Canon S2 with a 256 MB SD card...so I'm limited 5 min per shot. My fiancée saw a peek of what I was doing, and she's finally convinced that I'm true, bonified nerd...she called me a dork, LOL.

This shot is one of three, I don't think I'll cover transformation process:

http://www.teamvariance.com/downloads/test/3393.html

I'll probably look over the plane closer this weekend...it's still sitting on the drafting table covered by a shirt so as to avoid sunlight.

I finally got to opening 1/60 YF-19 after sitting on the drafting table for a couple of weeks. And after reading what you guys have talked about so far...I'll probably leave mine too in "plane" mode for a while.

Before hitting the sack last Saturday, I figured to release some steam and relax a bit. This was taken with a Canon S2 with a 256 MB SD card...so I'm limited 5 min per shot. My fiancée saw a peek of what I was doing, and she's finally convinced that I'm true, bonified nerd...she called me a dork, LOL.

This shot is one of three, I don't think I'll cover transformation process:

http://www.teamvariance.com/downloads/test/3393.html

I'll probably look over the plane closer this weekend...it's still sitting on the drafting table covered by a shirt so as to avoid sunlight.

She's right, you are a dork. But I think I'm dorker for watching that whole video! :blink:

I had My share of problems with my 19 as I finally got it last week. problems with the right wingtab not staying flush in it's socket hard time getting the pilot figure in it's seat seems I got one where the instrument panel does not rotate up, canopy opens when I press the blac piece down. BUT my one gripe about the Yamato's Qualtiy Control is that my YF-19 when I transformed it, it came with to right hands instead of a right and left hand. of course I contaced HLJ's parts depart and they replied they'll contact me once they contact the manufacturer. The rear landing gears are all wrong they appear twisted I don't know if this appears on every one elses YF-19, and the gun pod is slightly turned towards the right leg which is exactly what Graham mentioned in his review on the 19 according to him Yamato was supposed to correct that problem.

Edited by VF-18S Hornet