First Purchase-which figure should I get?

Knightdramon

First of all, greetings to all members of the forum. I've only found this site a few days before I registered. As a child I had a few experiences with robotech, but my latest experience is with Macross Zero and Plus. I watched these two series almost back to back. Since I've got a few savings, I can afford one Yamato figure within the coming month. Problem is, as I'm reading, most of them have QC problems.

I'm not sure if I should get the new 1/60 YF-19 or one of the 1/60 VF0s. So far Roy's and the cannon fodder version are available. The cheapest option is the 1/48 VF-1A Hikaru ver, but I'm not really liking what I'm seeing. Plus, of the VF1s, I prefer Max's. I've already read reviews for most of the mechas, including QC problems and all.

Is there any reason I should prefer an 1/48 to one of the 1/60's I mentionned? Since these are the newest [and match what I've seen so far on video] and they are in scale with my existing collection [PG Strike and MP Starscream], I figured I'd get them. Not too keen on oversized planes.

Any and all opinions are welcome. Thanks in advance

I guess if you're only going to get one (good luck on that BTW :p), then just get the one that is your favorite. For me, the VF-1 is my favorite mech in all of Macross, so it's a no-brainer to recommend the 1/48 VF-1. However, it sounds like you might like one of the Macross Zero or Macross Plus mechs better since you have just recently watched those series. I don't have a 1/60 VF-0 yet, so I can't tell you about the QC issues, but the 1/60 YF-19 is an absolutely fantastic toy.

I have one 1/60-scale Valkyrie and many 1/48-scale Valkyries. I can't imagine ever choosing the 1/60-scale over the 1/48 unless I just had no way of affording a 1/48-scale (and then I'd just do without longer until I could afford a 1/48-scale). There are those who disagree. But they are Communists. :lol:

I'm not sure I'd ever feel the need to put my Macross toys next to Transformers anyways. . . I don't like to mix universes! :p

it may better to wait. Once the Shin Vf-O comes out hopefully all the QC issues

associated with those will be resolved. Since the Shin version already comes with

a ghost you wont have to go out of your way for the added expense of getting that as well.

i myself also is in a tight budget ...tats why i just recently bought a VF-1J (Hikaru type) 1:48 Yummy....think hes cool ....would really want to go with Focker's 1S but someone beat the crap out....so i ended with Hiki.....on the side u cant go wrong w/ any 1:48's or 1:60's ...IMHO!!!

Of all of the releases so far, I think the Vf-0A is the best output by Yamato to date. It doesn't have any of loose joints that plagued the Vf-0S. Gorgeous transformation. Choice of Skull, bunny, or Wolfpack stickers. Fastpacks attached with magnets. Then you add the fact that the VF-0A and VF-0S look better than the standard 1/48's IMO. The only issues that were found with my Yf-19 were the misaligned gunpod and the shoulder tab that has a tendency to fall out when transforming. Neither of these were big issues with me so they were a non issue.

The 1/48's saving graces are that all of the later releases are QC problem free, You can get GBP armor for them all, and you have several choices of fast packs.

I don't think its humanly possible to limit oneself to only one Yamato. I suggest that one own atleast one of each ( 1/60 yf-19 , a 1/48 , and a 1/60 zero)

Not to steal any thunder, but instead of opening an entirely new thread for the same question, I thought I would pose it here.

I too, am looking to purchase my first Macross figure, I would prefer to buy a 1/60, even though the 1/48 recieve such praise. I am not a big fan of Zero, or Plus, more DYRL. Are there any 1/60 from DYRL that are worth buying? If so, which ones?

Thank you, and greetings to the board :)

the QC moanings on the 1/48 VF-1 line is kind of blown out of porportion, imo. I own several and haven't had any problems with mine.

The 1/60 Vf-0 line can be hit or miss, the 0s has loose feet and joints and the 0a is seeming coming down with brittle shoulders.

the 1/60 yf-19 has some minor quibles.. gun doesn't lie straight, the wings down quite fit right in fighter mode and some odd gaps here and there.

if you can only get 1, I recommend the 1/48 line. Out of all of them, the 1/48s "fit" together the best, have sturdy and tight joints and use proven, high quality materials.

Is there any reason I should prefer an 1/48 to one of the 1/60's I mentionned? Since these are the newest [and match what I've seen so far on video] and they are in scale with my existing collection [PG Strike and MP Starscream], I figured I'd get them. Not too keen on oversized planes.

I can understand you wanting to maintain scale.

you know there are 1/48 toy gundams as well & the MPC-1 may be close to 1/48 if that's one of your reason of getting the 1/60.

The 1/48's the the definitive macross toy classic & well depicted :)

i wouldn't even go 1/60 Vf-1 at all, although, it is the completest macross series available.

as for the Yf-19 & Vf-0 1/60 they're ok although they do have more issues than the 1/48 V-1, and they're not as "iconic"

Here's a pic of a V gundam & Macross together @ 1/48

IPB Image

Edited by LurkerX

Okay, so 1/48 I am leaning towards a Stealth VF-1J..anything horribly wrong with this figure (QC?)

Thanks

Quite the contrary. I think the Stealth has been widely (well, at least on these boards) recognized as one of the most QC problem-free of all the 1/48 VF-1's released thus far.

i wouldn't even go 1/60 Vf-1 at all, although, it is the completest macross series available.

This actually isn't exactly true anymore. The 1/48 is now more complete for VF-1 than the 1/60 (Stealth, LVII, LVI, AngelBirds, DYRL Kakizake, DYRL Hik VF-1S). The only thing 1/48 is missing is the VF-1D (and VT and VE if you would like to include them). Obviously a few of the 1/48s I mentioned are non-canon).

That's a matter of opinion and you're likely to get 10 different answers if you ask 10 different people. Personally, my favorite VF-1J scheme is Hikaru's, but that's most likely due to childhood nostalgia. The only difference between any of them is the colors really, though, so just go with the one that looks the most attractive to you.

One more question, I basically have 200 dollars set aside to buy a macross figure, I am looking for a VF-1J preferably, now is the stealth the best way to go, or are there better VF-1J available (Miria, Max, Hikari?)

You've got...

Hikaru VF-1J

Super Max

Super Milia

Stealth

Only Hikaru's and the Stealth are in your price range. Super Max and Super Milia and Super Hikaru are all quite expensive right now and are only found on eBay for the most part. Many people want a re-release of those this year or the next, so you may want to wait and see how Graham's meeting with Yamato went. I believe that occured today.

Your best bet if you just want a VF to tie you over is the Stealth. If you don't care about the fast packs you can get the normal Stealth for about $130 shipped if you live in the US.

One more question, I basically have 200 dollars set aside to buy a macross figure, I am looking for a VF-1J preferably, now is the stealth the best way to go, or are there better VF-1J available (Miria, Max, Hikari?)

if i were you, i'd buy a canon valk like the 1J super hikaru or the 1S roy.

if you buy a non-canon valk like the stealth, your childhood nostalgia won't be fulfilled and you'll end up buying one later down the road.

i know it sounds silly but thats exactly what happened to me. i bought the LV1 then sat around being like, i should've gotten the super 1J hikkie, then ended up convincing myself i HAVE to have the roy, then the max, then all the other ones. this hobby will suck your pockets dry, so if you're gonna just get one, choose wisely.

Child nostalgia is going to win this round, Hikaru it is, wow I have never been so undecided before in buying a toy! Even though these arent really toys...More collectibles...

just a heads up but someone here is selling their super hikaru for $225 shipped.

its bit more than you wanted to pay but there doesn't seem to be any on ebay right now..

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=21193

you can always opt to get the 1J hikaru by itself(a heck of a lot cheaper) and buy a set of strike FPs.

the strike FPs aren't the same color as the TV FP's but you'll save money in the long run and get a strike cannon too.

laftoys.com has the FPs on sale for under $50....

http://www.laftoys.com/product_info.php?cP...;products_id=11

and you can get the 1J hikkie on ebay....or any of the fine vendors/sellers that you see listed in the dealers section

http://search-desc.ebay.com/search/search....ntrypage=search