Will there be a Yamato SV-51 toy?

deathdealer

The YF-21 flew fine with the arms gone. It lost all 4 limbs. But the wings were fine, and it had thrust vectoring. The entire belly of the plane was gone along with the tailfins, but it didn't really matter. Think about a plane fully loaded with bombs and drop tanks on the belly---very "rough" uneven surface---flies just fine. Lot more drag than a smooth belly, but it flies the same. F-14's spend half their lives with the gigantic Phoenix pallets installed on the forward hardpoints (completely messing up the smooth belly), but it doesn't do much.

And I want Nora's magenta one!

So do I. I love Nora's color scheme much more than Ivanov's which I find somewhat plain. My Hasegawa SV-51 is painted in Nora's scheme.

I do hope that if Yamato reelease a Nora SV-51, the yellow markings will be Tampo printed on, as they would like terrible as stickers.

Graham

I hadn't even thought of that (stickering the yellow parts). There's NO WAY stickers could ever work, even decaling that is a challenge. Let Yamato know I'd pay a premium for Nora's paint scheme, to have the yellow markings tampo'd on. 10 bucks more than Ivanov or CF schemes would be well worth it--especially since aftermarket decals would cost that much anyways. I think most anyone would pay a little extra to not have to deal with gigantic thick stickers ALL OVER Nora's. Tampo is the only way to go.

I like Nora's scheme for the same reason I like the Sv-51--it's different! Not "yet another white valk with black stripes and a yellow or red accent". And while all black/grey Ivanov is unique canon-wise, now it's fairly common for Yamatos.

The reason why I don't like Nora's scheme is because the sillouhette of the SV-51 is so strong on its own.

Look how great it looks with no colour:

IPB Image

It's a busy sillouhette with all the jagged protrusions, but that's what makes it so bold and distinctive. Nora's scheme is also jagged and busy which is why it doesn't work as well as Ivanov's flat black. In the case of the 51, the busy scheme on the busy sillouhette actually detracts from the form of the profile. That's why Ivanov's scheme is so perfect for the SV-51. His simple, almost fully black scheme, actually emphasizes the sillouhette by not detracting from it's distinctive shape with busy-on-busy detailing.

IMO the Nora scheme would be more succussful on a Valk with a more simple and smooth sillouhette so that the scheme would contrast and compliment the profile instead of battling with it for supremacy. Nora's scheme might actually look better on something like a VF-1.

I do hope that if Yamato reelease a Nora SV-51, the yellow markings will be Tampo printed on, as they would like terrible as stickers.

Graham

That's a QC problem waiting to happen; Yamato can't tampo straight skulls, i'm hoping they could get all of the intricacies of the striped yellow to reflect symmetrically on the SV (if they get it right the first time, then that would be awesome).

Edited by emajnthis

Thinking more, I doubt they'd be tampoed, rather, they would/should be sprayed. That would work and look better, especially considering they're yellow. If you want white or yellow to look good, you should spray.

Yamato does spray some of the markings (usually big stripes on the wings etc)---anything with overspray is obviously sprayed--tampo can't overspray (it'll drip, pool, or leave sponge/pad marks--but bad tampoing is rare---it's usually misaligned, not poorly applied)

Finally---detailed skulls are very obvious when off-kilter, but "random yellow wiggly stripes" could be off and wouldn't be noticeable.

Thinking more, I doubt they'd be tampoed, rather, they would/should be sprayed. That would work and look better, especially considering they're yellow. If you want white or yellow to look good, you should spray.

Yamato does spray some of the markings (usually big stripes on the wings etc)---anything with overspray is obviously sprayed--tampo can't overspray (it'll drip, pool, or leave sponge/pad marks--but bad tampoing is rare---it's usually misaligned, not poorly applied)

Finally---detailed skulls are very obvious when off-kilter, but "random yellow wiggly stripes" could be off and wouldn't be noticeable.

I wonder if they could spray yellow on top of purple plastic... I'm thinking they'll have problems with bleed throughs.

We might get just a plain reddish/pink 51 with no Yellow because Kawamori will say that the cannon fodder color was incorrect and it should be reddish/pink

No silly rabbit, that's what Yamato will tell Graham. Then, six months later, Yamato will release the color-appropriate version and snicker.

Edit - after re-reading that your post that was probably your point.

Edited by jenius

I was going to post something similar. :) I thought Kawamori's explanation would be "Nora's Sv-51 is actually the exact same shade of red as Milia, as an homage--the animators just screwed up and made it pink"

Anyways---yellow spray would be more opaque than yellow tampoing IMHO, for a given thickness of paint. It would also do much better across the panel lines--when you spray, the paint gets in the panel lines--when you tampo, it usually passes over them, creating gaps of color wherever a panel line is engraved. However, overspray is a big issue, with 500 different edges on the mask that could lift.

However, overspray is a big issue, with 500 different edges on the mask that could lift.

Righto, it seems like the Max/Milia Supers had the most perceived problems with overspray, just because of the light paint and dark plastic. Nora's scheme, if painted, could be troublesome. I'd prefer Tampo and live witht the missing color in the panel lines.