What kind of music

Daishi3500

I certainly won't list all my tastes as it's probably been listed already (kanata's list took the cake). But I'm 27 now and music has been a big part of my life since I was 13 - I would have between 4 and 500 cd's collected over the last 14 years. But my favourites would be (or what I've been listening to a lot this year):

rock - Janes Addiction, Radiohead, Foo Fighters, Queens of the stone age, Gomez

classical - rachmaninov, chopin, beethoven

retro - blondie, devo, new order

rap - public enemy, run dmc,

jazz - miles davis, dave brubeck and the seatbelts music from cowboy bebop

dance - plaid, kid loco, death in vegas, thievery corp, lemon jelly, boards of canada, underworld

good soundtracks I've heard recently: 28 days later, requiem for a dream, Donnie Darko

Naked Raygun......wow, cool. I saw MU330 once, opening for Skavoovie and the Epitones (which I recommend!) They were pretty good live. Don't really get out to too many shows these days.

Yeah, being from Chicago, Naked Raygun would play a sold out show about every 3 months and all the punk kids from the Chicago area would be there. I had friends for 5 years that I ONLY ever saw at Raygun shows.

Everytime they'd play they'd have a couple hundred "promotional products" made up with their logo on it. One time it was Naked Raygun plastic water bottles (with insulator). Another time it was Naked Raygun inflatable planes. The best was on a Mother's Day show and they had Naked Raygun rubber lid grippers. Anyways, halfway through the show everyone would start chanting "Free crap" and the band would start throwing a couple hundred of these things into the crowd. It was the best!!!

Did I mention I was an extra in an MU330 video? They were filming the video for Father Friendly (off of the Crab Rangoon album) in Madison And I got to be in the crowd at the church. It was funny because the drummer for Blue Meanies set it up and he was my buddy, so we were all out drinking the night before and I ended up drinking right up until 7am I showed up literally drunk off of my ass!!!

:lol:

Wow, that sounds cool. The only claim to fame that I can make like that is I think I was once filmed during a Real World segment for the Boston cast.

One question - how the heck do I do the multiple quote thing in a post??!?!?!?!!

Would you mind explaining it to me, as there has been a couple of times in the last couple of days that I have wanted to do this!

:rolleyes:

Oh and regarding ska, I never got into 3rd wave...unless you consider The Pietasters 3rd wave ska. I still listen to Desmond Dekker, Laurel Aitken, Prince Buster, Derrick Morgan(my fave!)...and 2-Tone stuff like English Beat, Body Snatchers (mmmm...alll female ska band!), The Specials, (old) Madness, The Selector, etc...

Unfortunately, I don't own any of the older stuff.................yet, but I used to listen to Jamaica 60's Stylee on MSN radio. Nice mix of old ska. The Brit ska bands from the 80's are still excellent. I think the Pietasters would be considered 3rd wave. I have a tape called Ska - The Third Wave and it's got the Pietasters, Dancehall Crashers, and Mustard Plug, just to name a couple.

I listen to Bob Mould in his various incarnations (solo, Sugar, Husker Du) mostly. But I have an affinity for ska, ranging from the early days to the third wave bands. Always been a bit of a closet punker. It's nice to see that there is one other person who still digs the Dead Kennedys.

;)

Surf music has been growing on me lately though. Ever since I picked up Dick Dale's Unknown Territory, I have discovered another favorite music genre. There are some bands and tunes from the 70's that I still dig.

I've seen both Bob Mould and Dick Dale live. I actually got to meet and talk to Bob after one of his shows at the Palladium in Hollywood, and Dick's show, well, it was pretty wild (saw him at the Huntington Pier back in '84). My dad's an old longboarder, so I've been listening to Surf my whole life. The Ventures are pretty decent for old school surf too.

That's cool. I have not had the pleasure of talking to Bob yet, and he lives here in DC. I've seen him 7 or 8 times now and he DJs at a local club every Saturday night. Dick Dale still rocks! His show was amazing and it was a riot to see these grey haired old ladies at the show. Turned out they are family members of his. The show I saw was in Cambridge Mass, and I was surprised to find out that Dick is from Quincy, Mass.

Explained why the old ladies were there!

i listen to 70's glam rock like david bowie,t-rex,iggy pop,mott the hopple,i also like the stones,beatles,bjork(i say if they made a live-action tenchi she'd make a kick-ass washu),radiohead,pink floyd(with syd barret),johhny cash(r.i.p.),willie nelson,cat stevens,the who,the pogues(irish punk band),u2(well zooropa was the last good album they did,after that they sucked killer whale balls),the kinks,and prince.

I listen to a bit of everything: Rock, R&B, Jazz, Techno, etc. Probably the only kind I won't touch is rap and hip-hop.

It seems like the only interesting prog rock these days needs a bit of metal in there, like Dream Theater, Blind Guardian or Liquid Tension Experiment.

Ever tried Fates Warning's - "Pleasant shade of grey"?

Nope, any good? How would you describe them ("Iron Maiden meets prog rock", etc.)?

"Progressive" :lol:

No really, I once saw the video (remember those things) of "Pleasant shade....." Live

ever see 6 people in a room remain absolutely quiet for 10 minutes, looking at a blank tvscreen? (not on any form of drugs I might add)

that album might as well be called "Trance" for the metalfans

it's a bit like Mike Oldfields "Tubular bells" on steroids

Rock, I guess. STP, Aerosmith, Alice in Chains...I've outgrown Nirvana but I still reach for my Guns N Roses 'Appetite CD quite a bit....

I listen to what ever I like. I like heavy metal especially British heavy metal, alternative rock (Foo Fighters), rock in classic style [Yungwie Malmsteen]. I liked the 80`s new wave (to much to say about it), we shouldn`t forget that anime were inspired by it, especially the looks and the music of course. Also like some of 60`s and 70`s music in the rock and metal category.

I really dislike hip hop, r&b, rap and these bimbos singers like Britney and Christina and the most of music band and groups from today. May be the only thing I like from today are Avril Lavange, Sophie Ellis Baxter :) and Dandy Warhols, I admit they really have some nice tunes.

My favorite band of all time and still listen to them : IRON MAIDEN

PS : Who likes or listens to King Diamond !

"Abigail dont you know what you've done oh oh oh"

Ya I like him and his 12 octave voice lol. Merciful Fate(his other band) was cool then too. I'm really dating myself here. lol

edited for realizing I'm old lol

Edited by dejr8bud

i listen to broken beats (jazzanova, 4 hero, etc.), drum & bass (rufige kru, deep blue, alpha omega, etc.), i love jazz, used to be into hip hop but can't really stomach it much anymore with the exceptiog of a few groups like the oddities. house is alright as well and i really dig ninja tune type stuff as well.

Ya I like him and his 12 octave voice lol. Merciful Fate(his other band) was cool then too. I'm really dating myself here. lol

OMFG,

I thought the only guy who liked KD was the other guitarist in my old band,,,

I pretty much listen to all types of music other then country and hard rock. I love jazz, r&b, and techno. B) It just depends on my mood. Sometimes I'll be in the mood for classical, disco, old school hiphop, or even gospel.

Edited by Effect

....Dick Dale still rocks! His show was amazing and it was a riot to see these grey haired old ladies at the show. Turned out they are family members of his. The show I saw was in Cambridge Mass, and I was surprised to find out that Dick is from Quincy, Mass.

Explained why the old ladies were there!

Was that Dick Dale show the one at The Middle East about 2 years ago?

I last saw DD in 1998 at the Middle East. There was a band that opened for him, and Dick was rather awestruck by the female lead singer for the band.

I last saw DD in 1998 at the Middle East. There was a band that opened for him, and Dick was rather awestruck by the female lead singer for the band.

The last time we played Boston was about 2 years ago. We played TT the Bears Place and Dick Dale was playing that night, next door, at the Middle East. Anyways, that's why I asked.

Dick Dale rocks. My band does covers of Taco Wagon and The Wedge.

Mainly 80 British rock

The Cure

Depeche Mode

The Smiths

U2

Electronic

New Order

Pet Shop Boys

theThe

The Clash

Simple Minds

Talking Heads

Oingo Boingo

...are some of my favorite bands.

Then there's anime and game soundtracks that I also like, like FFVI, Castlevania SOTN, Gundam Wing and of course Macross+.

I also like some Dance/Electronica/Progressive House/Trance/Ambient suff as well. Synesthesia by Taylor is currently my all time favorite album bar none!

I also enjoy breakdancing/beboy music from the 80s as well...Cybotron, Kraftwerk, Nucleus, Davy DMX, etc...

There's just so much great music out there, amidst the sea of garbage being played on the radio and on MTV. You just gotta look for it :)

• 3 years later...

OMFG,

I thought the only guy who liked KD was the other guitarist in my old band,,,

Didn't that guy kill himself while trying to worship the devil?

I've been listening to a lot of Mindless Self Indulgence lately, and oddly enough remember the Human League? For some reason I started listening to them and LIKING them. God I have NO taste...