GUNBUSTER = GHOSTBUSTERS

Renato

Here's something interesting/funny/f***ed up.

My friend has decided to go out and buy the new SOC Gunbuster toy and so I was using my PC to show him clips from the original OAV on Youtube. I should note this guy is a total film buff.

Anyway, we of course had to see the big action scene from episode five. We're coming up to the scene where the Exelion explodes and there's short silence just before that huge low exploding/crushing/smashing kinda sound.

At this point, my friend said "I know that sound..." and then shortly after, "Jeeeeesus CHRIST!! That's the sound of the Ghostbusters shooting the table in the dining hall while trying to trap Slimer in the first film!! BLATANTLY!!" We play the Gunbuster bit again and lo and behold, a split-second of Slimer's voice panting can actually be heard in the anime before the sound effect cuts out (which I realise, I had always been wondering "what the hell was that?" when I used to watch it in the 90s).

Of course, we immediately get the Ghostbusters DVD out, play the Slimer scene and the truth is revealed: GAINAX STOLE IT RIGHT OUT THE MOVIE!! What, did they think we would never find out?? THAT'S JUST UNDERESTIMATING THE PROWESS OF GEEKDOM IN THE SPACE YEAR 2006!!

I urge you to go look to your Gunbuster DVDs and see if there any more instances of plagiarism. Cos... we don't have the time. <_<

Hahaha....good find renato....damn...your friend is a real Ghostbuster geek. I always thought that sound was weird cuz i thought it was a space monster sound....but never gave it a 2nd thought. Ya gotta wiki this. :lol:

Don't anyone Wiki anything! The last thing we need is for the DVD release to get pulled due to some coorperate exec finding this info on a whim & trying to claim money from Gainax & Honeamise. I say we delete this topic, and not speak of it again until march!

Sorry, but that's kind of insane. Recognizing the sound of particle beam hitting dinner table + Slimer noises in a split second clip of a ship exploding in an anime...

I need friends like that.

Impressive but not uncommon.

How many anime have you watched and heard the old gundam beam rifle. If its not the beam rifle its the GM sniper rifle. Those sounds are in almost every mecha or ship based anime sooner of later. Same goes for the RX78 and Zaku power up (eye(s)light up sound. Bandai uses them over and over again.

Impressive but not uncommon.

How many anime have you watched and heard the old gundam beam rifle. If its not the beam rifle its the GM sniper rifle. Those sounds are in almost every mecha or ship based anime sooner of later. Same goes for the RX78 and Zaku power up (eye(s)light up sound. Bandai uses them over and over again.

Totally different things. This is not the case where a stock sound effect has been used again -- this sound has been ripped straight out of the soundtrack of the movie! How else would that one-quarter-of-a-second of Slimer appear?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi. Im the friend with no life who noticed the blatant theft. I dont know about those other series but the GURN BUSTER KEATON production team basically set up a mike next to a tv playing the movie Ghostbusters and taped the actual movie soundtrack. Seems to me that that violates just a few copyright laws.

Edited by Alex

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

However, the Gunbuster team didnt use any library. They by passed the library. If they DID indeed "go to the library" then there are a hell of a lot of librarians selling stuff out of the back end of vans in the market on sunday morning.

Edited by Alex