My finished 1/55 VF-1D

Deadzone

so far so good! that's a nice paint job. Looks like it came from the factory! It just needs the two seaters in the cockpit and the head to make it complete. :p:D:lol:

That's the first 1/55 I've gotten excited about since I received my re-issues. . . and promptly stored them in the closet.

That paint job is incredible. It really looks like it came from the factory. I'm with Lonewolf on that one.

Great job!

H

Well, this is my second custom I did. I think it turned out really well. I had some problems with the TV Max version I had posted earlier. However, I worked out all the bugs and repainted a super valk reissue that I bought off of Phatslappy. It almost makes me sad that it will be going to my sister as a Christmas present. I am almost tempted to buy her a 1/60 Yamato and keep this one. :lol: The only thing I'm waiting on is a VF-1D head from mslz22. Once I get that, this thing should really rock. Check it out.

wow, you have a sister who likes macross toys!!! Nice. Now that's a dream girl! :p:D:lol:

Well, this is my second custom I did. I think it turned out really well. I had some problems with the TV Max version I had posted earlier. However, I worked out all the bugs and repainted a super valk reissue that I bought off of Phatslappy. It almost makes me sad that it will be going to my sister as a Christmas present. I am almost tempted to buy her a 1/60 Yamato and keep this one.  :lol: The only thing I'm waiting on is a VF-1D head from mslz22. Once I get that, this thing should really rock. Check it out.

wow, you have a sister who likes macross toys!!! Nice. Now that's a dream girl! :p:D:lol:

Is she cute?

Well, this is my second custom I did. I think it turned out really well. I had some problems with the TV Max version I had posted earlier. However, I worked out all the bugs and repainted a super valk reissue that I bought off of Phatslappy. It almost makes me sad that it will be going to my sister as a Christmas present. I am almost tempted to buy her a 1/60 Yamato and keep this one.  :lol: The only thing I'm waiting on is a VF-1D head from mslz22. Once I get that, this thing should really rock. Check it out.

Is she cute?

yeah! is she cute?

got pic? :lol:

Is she cute?

yeah! is she cute?

I call dibs on her IF she's cute. HAHAHA

Is she cute?

yeah! is she cute?

I call dibs on her IF she's cute. HAHAHA

i'll be second if you change your mind :p:lol:

Seems like more people are interested in my sister than the VF-1D :( To answer your questions though, she is cute. The problem is that she has a boy friend already and seems pretty attached to him. Tough luck guys :p

To answer your question about the paint job, I simply used a Khrylon primer with the flat Tamiya white and desert yellow. However, the Tamiya white was spraying on a little rough so I mixed in a bit of Future floor wax. Actually, I did that by mistake at first. I keep my future in an old Tamiya thinner bottle and poured it in by mistake. But, the results speak for themselves. The finish was much smoother and it does almost look like a factory paint job. Flat sprays on too rough and gloss looks a little too flashy. A mix between the two makes a great combination. BTW the future provides the glossing element. I also sprayed using an Iwata airbrush eclipse. That has made all the difference in the world. :D

Seems like more people are interested in my sister than the VF-1D :( To answer your questions though, she is cute. The problem is that she has a boy friend already and seems pretty attached to him. Tough luck guys :p

I can take care of the boyfriend.

Actually, what I did was mix desert yellow with white to get the tan color. You only need a couple of drops of desert yellow added to a lot of white. For the orange color, I mixed orange with a red. The orange by itself is too bright. To get the deeper orange, a red was needed.

Yes, the Valkyrie can transform. So far, I haven't had any chipping problems, but this came at a price. I find that clear coats, primers, and all that other stuff doesn't work in preventing chipping. What works is sanding down the pieces until the points of friction no longer touch. It makes for a looser valk in certain areas, but what would you rather have... a valk that is really tight but has a lot of chips and dings or a valk that is a little loose but looks great. The thing can stand in robot mode with no problem and sits in fighter mode fine. Hope this helps for anyone else planning to make one.

hehe, come on now, who wouldn't want a girl who collects macross toys with you? That is a dream for me. My girlfriend doesn't understand why I buy these things so my best answer is, "I don't understand why you buy so many purses. That's just the same as me buying these toys!" And she stays quite. :p

Anyway, back to valk. When are we going to see this badboy in battloid mode? And if I wanted to get one customized like that, how much would you charge?

Seems like more people are interested in my sister than the VF-1D :(  To answer your questions though, she is cute. The problem is that she has a boy friend already and seems pretty attached to him. Tough luck guys :p

hehe, come on now, who wouldn't want a girl who collects macross toys with you? That is a dream for me. My girlfriend doesn't understand why I buy these things so my best answer is, "I don't understand why you buy so many purses. That's just the same as me buying these toys!" And she stays quite. :p

Anyway, back to valk. When are we going to see this badboy in battloid mode? And if I wanted to get one customized like that, how much would you charge?

Unfortunately, making these things for money is just out of the question for now. I thought I could do it until I found out it takes around two weeks of consistently working on it for me to finish one. Let's see... I saw one sell for around $100.00 on ebay. Supplies cost around $50.00. I spent around 20 hours working on it. That's $2.50 an hour! I could make more money working at the grocery store as long as it wasn't one of the ones on strike. <_< Oh well, for anybody looking for a custom paint job Unicron, I will be finishing one and selling it on ebay soon.

• 5 weeks later...

Wow, This topic almost fell off of the map. It was on page 10 when I found it. The strange things is, I wrote VF-1D in the search engine, and it didn't pop up. I find the search engine on this site to be a bit screwy.

Well, although most of you probably don't care anymore, I promised a couple of guys that I would post some pics of the finished project when I was done. Really hate to give this thing away to my sister, but I sort of short changed her on Christmas presents the last few years. She better like this thing or I am taking it back. :lol:

post-4-1068495541.jpg

hey deadzone, how much to make another one of those? I would love to have one like that! Let me know. thanx

:p:D:lol:

Sorry,

At this moment, I never want to make another VF-1D again. It is just too much of a hassle. I might change my mind when I come back from Hong Kong later next year. At the moment though, I am so burnt out on custom making. BTW: Thanks everybody for all the kind words.

:D