List of the Best Mech shows on Dvd in the US

Area88

List of the best mech shows released in the US on dvd outside Gundam and Macross:

Armored Trooper Votoms - 1983

Aura Dunbine - 1983

Genesis Climber Mospeada - 1983

Area 88 OVA - 1985

Fight Iczer 1 - 1985

Megazone 23 Part 1 - 1985

Super Dimensional Calvary Southern Cross - 1985

Bubblegum Crisis OVA - 1987

Metal Skin Panic Madox 01 - 1987

Appleseed OVA - 1988

Gunbuster - 1988

Hades Project Zeorymer - 1988

Patlabor OVA - 1988

Five Star Stories - 1989

Edited by Area88

Not sure if I'd call the 80's a golden age (if anything it's way too soon to tell), but off the top of my head, you missed:

Dangaio (1987 -1989)

Super Bestial Machine God Dancougar (1985)

Megazone 23 part 2 (1986)

Space Runaway Ideon (1980)

Venus Wars (1989)

Robot Carnival (1987)

Starship Troopers (1988)

I'd also take the Appleseed OVA off your list. Man that thing was a stinker.

Yes, I would agree with JELEINEN to take off the original Appleseed OVA, but I would put Black Magic M66 in its place :)

I would also add M.D. Geist (Not everyone likes this last one, but I do)

Also, was Ideon released in the US?

No, it didn't. I didn't catch that part of the topic. Mea culpa. Remove Starship Troopers from my list as well, for the same reason.

Dangaio and Robot Carnival are kind of iffy, because they did get DVD releases, but very substandard releases at best.

Dangaio and Robot Carnival are kind of iffy, because they did get DVD releases, but very substandard releases at best.

Dangaio was dub only, badly edited and now out of print. Black Magic M66 is also out of print. Hopefully someone will pick it up both these titles and give them a proper release.

Robot Carnival on the otherhand hasn't officially been released in the US yet which leads me to believe you may have bought a bootleg off Ebay.

I would add Venus Wars to the list but i think it's more Science Fiction than anything else.

Would Gall Force classify as Mecha?

Edited by Area88

I gotta wander outside the 80's because it is just not right to leave out one of the greatest robot anime series of all time due to the date it released.

Gao Gai Gar (1997 - 1999)

Also, would Giant Robo (1992) fit in here, or are we discerning "mecha" from "giant robot" anime?

Dangaio was dub only, badly edited and now out of print. Black Magic M66 is also out of print. Hopefully someone will pick it up both these titles and give them a proper release.

Robot Carnival on the otherhand hasn't officially been released in the US yet which leads me to believe you may have bought a bootleg off Ebay.

I would add Venus Wars to the list but i think it's more Science Fiction than anything else.

Would Gall Force classify as Mecha?

I don't own Robot Carnival on DVD myself (and believe me, I would know if it was a bootleg if I did), but I seem to recall that Streamline did have a very limited release of some of their titles on DVD at the very end (can't remember who the distributor was, but I think it was after they split with Orion).

You had Area 88 on your list, so I don't think Venus Wars would be any less qualified.

I gotta wander outside the 80's because it is just not right to leave out one of the greatest robot anime series of all time due to the date it released.

Gao Gai Gar (1997 - 1999)

Definitely gotta give Big G respect.

And speaking of robot lions...

Voltron needs some love. Sure it wasn't the greatest show ever, but ... robot lions! C'mon!

Streamline died before the DVD age, there was never a streamline DVD released. "However," streamline did sell themselves to Orion before they went under, who also went under & were picked up by MGM. MGM was under the impression that they still held Streamlinses licenses, & either contracted Image Entertainment (or licensed out to them) some of Streamlines titles. The short story is that they didn't actually hold the rights, and those licenses subsequently were pulled from shelves. One such release to make it to DVD with Streamline's logo still on it however was Megazone 23 Part I. I can't think of anything else off the top of my head that also made it out.

Also, Ideon has never been released in the U.S. But since we're also allowing early 90's & Gall Force counts, I'll throw in The Irresponsible Captain Tylor!

Crusher Joe is fantastic, but I don't really recall it being a mecha anime.

I'm going off the fact that the OP listed Area 88 as a mecha show, which is entirely correct. "Mecha" just means anything mechanical, including spaceships and vehicles. But, if you want it to just be giant robots, there were thos hunter robots (which got borrowed by FASA for the Battletech game).

Check out the Mighty Orbots opening. The show didn't last long, and the style might not be to everyone's taste, but it had mighty fine animation. If I recall correctly, at least the first episode maintained a similar level of animation quality as the opener.

*edit* Sheesh. I was tired then. Here's the link on YouTube;

http://youtube.com/watch?v=SLcJXR7twoQ

Edited by Radd

• 2 weeks later...