Any other Mecha Series

Hi there

I have watched all Macross except Macross 7 & Macross 7 Dynamite which I'm currently watching. The problem is what will I be watching after the series are over ?

Please recommend me some anime that features mecha, transforming vehicles (except transformers) etc

I hate anime with kid pilots such as Gundam Seed

If you can't look past kid pilots then too bad because E7 is one of the BEST shows in a long long time.

Besides. Where would we be without kid pilots? The Hikaru Ichijo's and Shinji Ikari's are what make mecha oriented animes so popular.

I hate anime with kid pilots such as Gundam Seed

Well... You're gonna hate almost all mecha shows, then.

The closest thing to Macross is probably "Genesis Climber MOSPEADA", which has three-mode fighter planes as well as transforming motorcycles. It was packaged as the third "Robotech" story in America, but recently (at last!) it was released with its original dialogue and name. You'll probably like it.

Among my personal favorites, and sure to please you, are the movie-length OVAs "Megazone 23" Part I, "Megazone 23 Part II", and the shorte, two-part OVAs "Megazone 23 Part III" Acts 1 and 2. The first one was worked on by many Macross and Mospeada alumni. Transforming heavy-duty motorcycle action. Excellent stuff.

However, really, if you want to know about mecha, I have to recommend the ultimate classic:

Mobile Suit GUNDAM - the TV series (or the three movies, GUNDAM I, GUNDAM II, and GUNDAM III)

Mobile Suit ZETA GUNDAM - the TV series

Mobile Suit GUNDAM: CHAR'S COUNTERATTACK - the movie, and the final chapter of this story

Considering that Gundam with THE FIRST anime to have "real robots" (that is, giant robots serving as mass-produced military weapons, as opposed to superheroic robots), there would have been no Macross without Gundam.

Things that should not turn you off to these shows:

* The main characters in Gundam and Zeta are around the same age as Hikaru, perhaps a bit younger. But they deal with very mature situations, and there are lots of adults in the shows.

* No transformables in Gundam, but transformable mecha start showing up in Zeta Gundam.

* Gundam is OLD. (1979) It looks kinda old-fashioned, but it is a GREAT show. Zeta Gundam is from '85-'86, and looks better. Char's Counterattack looks really good.

Another recommendation:

Armored Trooper VOTOMS

This is a very gritty, intelligent mecha show. There are no transformables, and the mecha are only about 17 feet tall, but it is really good. The hero is an adult, as are all the characters. Strongly recommended. It, too, is kinda old -- 1982 -- but looks alright and really, it is a terrific story. The show is divided into four "chapters", and unfortunately the first chapter (the first quarter of the series) is the weakest one. However, the show really picks up and becomes epic and brilliant by the end.

Also recommended:

Neon Genesis EVANGELION

This was an epoch-making show, from 1995 or so. It is, in my opinion, the best anime TV series ever. However, I guarantee you you'll hate it because all the main characters are 14 years old. Too bad for you... its truly an amazing show.

Another good one:

GETTER ROBO: Armageddon

This is a "super-robots" OAV series, not a real robots story like Gundam or Macross. However, it is WILD. Incredibly action-packed, balls-out, over-the-top. All adults for your heroes, too!

GIANT ROBO: Day the Earth Stood Still

Similar in some ways to Getter Robo, but less rage-fueled. Incredibly enjoyable, with iconoclastic, low-tech mecha. Great stuff!

Other mecha shows out there worth seeing:

Super Dimension Century ORGUSS

ZOIDS: Chaotic Century

Metal Skin Panic MADOX-01

Detonator ORGUN

DAI-GUARD

Cenocyber

MACHINEROBO: Revenge of Chronos

M.D. GEIST

SUPER ROBOT WARS Orginal Generation: The Animation

Platinum Hugen ORDIAN

GALL FORCE

A.D. POLICE, BUBBLE GUM CRISIS, and BUBBLEGUM CRASH

Argento Soma

Aura Battler DUNBINE

Kishin Heidan (also known as Kishin Corps)

MAZINKAISER

Dangaizer 3

Aim for the Top! GUNBUSTER

ZONE OF THE ENDERS: Idolo (and Zone of the Enders: Dolores I)

The Big O and The Big O II

BLUEGENDER

Cybuster

Infinite Ryvius

Full Metal Panic

Dangaioh

Overman KING GAINER

The Mars Daybreak (also known as KENRAN BUTOSAI)

GASARAKI

King of Braves GAOGAIGAR

BRAINPOWERED

GHOST IN THE SHELL: Stand Alone Complex

Hades Project ZEORYMER

FULL METAL PANIC

GODANNAR

VANDREAD

GUNPARADE MARCH

There. That should keep ya busy for a while!!!

Gunparade March.

Short but sweet with an excellent opening theme :)

Has high school kids for pilots (only because the earth is short on adults due to heavy casualties) but it doesn't take itself too seriously.

Edited by thegunny

Definately Eureka Seven, besides which, Renton is only 2 years younger than Hikaru, if you can accept one, the other isn't that much of a stretch.

-Gunbuster comes out in February and is a must see.

As others have mentioned, Gundam 0079 (the moives set is easy to find), Zeta, Turn A, Victory.

-Escaflowne

-Uchuu Senkan Yamato 1-3 + movies

-Votoms.

And many others that have already been mentioned like Giant Robo & Megazone 23.

Edited by Keith

I´d recommend ORGUSS, made by basically the same team that created SDF. Great, evolving storyline, no kids to pilot the mecha (but quite some childish behavior by the main character :D ), lots of transforming mecha in pretty weird shapes. It is kinda dated (iti s from 1983 after all) but I have only watched it recently and after 5-6 episodes I was completely drawn into it. The "feel" of Orguss comes pretty close to that of SDF IMO, even if takes place on earth.

I liked Zone of the Enders (ZOE) Idolo based on the PS2 game it's a prequel leading to events of the first game. It's only about 50 minutes long but it was rather good IMHo.

Other Mecha based Anime I like:

Gunbuster

Getter Robo

Big O

King Of Braves (Yuusha Oh') Gao Gai Gar

Madox-01

Original Bubblegum Crisis (Haven't seen the recent one though)

Mobile Fighter G-Gundam

Gundam 0083 (Don't get the movie, get the OVA's)

Gundam 0080 "War In The Pocket"

Roujin Z

Edited by gerwalk25

I'm re-watching Kidou Senkan/Martian Successor Nadesico right now, and can definitely recommend it. It has a lot of comedic and satirical content, but it's intelligently written and well put together.

I'll second Escaflowne, GauGaiGar, Aim for the Top! and Patlabor. You might also try Giant Robo: The Animation.

You know... I really can't think of many mecha anime without kids piloting the mecha...

Anyone want to start a list?

Here's a few...

Genesis Climber Mospeada

Bubble Gum Crisis (do the hard suits count as mecha?)

Aura Battler Dunbine

VOTOMS

L-GIAM?

Dogs of the sun DOUGRAM

Not sure if these count -- does super-robot crap count as Mecha anime? Realism is what makes mecha so much more interesting than the older crap.

Go Lion

God Mars

Edited by armentage

This has to be the most bizarre question I've ever seen asked.

There's a big difference! IMHO super-robots differ from the more modern mecha shows in that the robots are not imbued with magical powers (from god, the "elders", etc.) and are just complicated machines. Usually the pilots, or their support staff understand and maintain these machines, refuel them, etc. Certainly there is a huge difference betweeh something like Macross, where the mecha are inspired by recovered alien technology, designed and upgraded by humans, and Go-Lion, where the Mecha are found hiding in stone statues a-top the magic castle's drawbridge!

(but I've always thought Gundam's newtypes was a bunch of crap)

There's a big difference! IMHO super-robots differ from the more modern mecha shows in that the robots are not imbued with magical powers (from god, the "elders", etc.) and are just complicated machines. Usually the pilots, or their support staff understand and maintain these machines, refuel them, etc. Certainly there is a huge difference betweeh something like Macross, where the mecha are inspired by recovered alien technology, designed and upgraded by humans, and Go-Lion, where the Mecha are found hiding in stone statues a-top the magic castle's drawbridge!

(but I've always thought Gundam's newtypes was a bunch of crap)

Sure, there are the two basic sub-genres (super robots and real robots), but one isn't any less "mecha" than the other. In the end, they're all giant robots. There's also a lot of cross-over between the two.

Patlabor on TV. 'cause every time you don't, a puppy dies.

(I will get more people to watch this series, if I have to die trying...! :) )

Dude, Patlabor is pretty much what got me absolutely hooked on anime many years ago. "This story was fiction, but may not be in 10 years." Still sends chills down my spine when I think about it. It does have its cheesy moments, but some of the truly dramatic episode arcs (Griffon!) were superb.

Dude, Patlabor is pretty much what got me absolutely hooked on anime many years ago. "This story was fiction, but may not be in 10 years." Still sends chills down my spine when I think about it. It does have its cheesy moments, but some of the truly dramatic episode arcs (Griffon!) were superb.

Trying to get Eureka Seven,Gundam SEED Destiny & Patlabor Movies/Series now

And one question is it okay if I start Gundam with Gundam SEED ? Or should I start with Gundam Wing ?

Sevket Erhat: before any of us answer that question, you might want to go downstairs, and open up that bomb shelter your father built back in the 70s. Check the power still goes in, that the cupboards still stocked with tinned beans, and that - most importantly of all - that the walls are still fairly solid. Then walk back to the computer, but make sure that you have a clear route to the shelter.

Now we can start discussing which Gundam to watch. :lol:

Gundam SEED/Destiny and Gundam Wing are set in seperate "universes" to the original Gundam series (which is set in what is often referred to as "the Universal Century" universe). They share a central idea - big robots called Gundams - but are unconnected to each other.

In theory.

Gundam SEED/Destiny and Gundam Wing are fine, watchable shows. They are certainly currently very popular in Japan. Theres nothing wrong with them as standalone series.

But... theres that "Gundam" part. And if you grew up with a certain idea of Gundam, as I, and probably many others, did, SEED/Wing has a tendency to... raise eyebrows. The best way I can put it is that what might be referred to as the "original" Gundam shows - Gundam, Zeta, ZZ, V-Gundam, and the various movies mostly directed by Yoshiyuki Tomino (the creator of Gundam) represent how Tomino sees Gundam, whereas the "other" Gundams - Wing, SEED - represent how Bandai see Gundam, which is basically as Gundam Yen.

So, if I were to recommend Gundam series to watch: the original, Zeta, ZZ if you can get past the first twenty-odd episodes, the Chars Counterattack movie, and the Gundam 0080 OAV. If you're a sucker for punishment, V-Gundam.

Then try Gundam SEED and Destiny, and see if you can spot a few, er, "homages" [1] to previous series.

And after that, Turn-A Gundam, because its possibly the best Gundam series Tomino ever made (and if you did watch V, you'll need cheering up).

[1] Some people might take this to mean "blatant unoriginal rip-offing".

Trying to get Eureka Seven,Gundam SEED Destiny & Patlabor Movies/Series now

And one question is it okay if I start Gundam with Gundam SEED ? Or should I start with Gundam Wing ?

My advice for viewing the Gundam Universe is this (in order):

1. Gundam Wing ( IMO, the most beginner friendly gundam series, and my favorite. Yeah, people may be appalled that I say that, but I really don't care. The D-Hell is the baddest gundam of all time, as is Duo!)

2. Mobile Suit Gundam (the most popular, with a lot of continuations, etc.)

3. Gundam SEED (people hated it, I personally don't think it's all that bad)

4. Gundam Seed Destiny (ugh, the second most crappy series, but a continuation of SEED)

5. G- Gundam (awful, horrible, couldn't stand it. If I wanted to watch Dragonball Z, I'd watch Dragonball Z and not a horrible gundam based knock-off.)

6. Turn-A, X, etc. (I finished Turn-A recently, and I'm gonna start on the others. Turn-A was great, just wish there was a dub version available)

Edited by Excillon

My advice for viewing the Gundam Universe is this (in order):

1. Gundam Wing ( IMO, the most beginner friendly gundam series, and my favorite. Yeah, people may be appalled that I say that, but I really don't care. The D-Hell is the baddest gundam of all time, as is Duo!)

2. Mobile Suit Gundam (the most popular, with a lot of continuations, etc.)

3. Gundam SEED (people hated it, I personally don't think it's all that bad)

4. Gundam Seed Destiny (ugh, the second most crappy series, but a continuation of SEED)

5. G- Gundam (awful, horrible, couldn't stand it. If I wanted to watch Dragonball Z, I'd watch Dragonball Z and not a horrible gundam based knock-off.)

6. Turn-A, X, etc. (I finished Turn-A recently, and I'm gonna start on the others. Turn-A was great, just wish there was a dub version available)

Thanks for the advice. I'll start with Gundam Wing after Macross 7 & Eureka 7