The PlayStation 3 Thread!

Apollo Leader

okay, pardon my ignorance...but what is the big deal with HDMI for a game console? what does it do/offer?

thanks

It is going to be the industry standard for displaying 1080P imagery to those super expensive TV's. So for gameplay it ins't really going to be that big a deal unless you have a super cool TV.

It's far more critical for viewing movies on the BD drive though.

I just read an article about Gears of War and that game is almost convincing me to buy a 360. Must...hold...out...for...metalgear... I wonder if Metal Gear will blow away Gears of war anyways? (yes yes, I know they're different genres)

I'm just afraid to have a PS3 sitting under my plasma TV when the ladies come over and say "you spent $600 on a video game?" <_<

The truly sad part about the price? No pack in game! Companies need to go back to the good ole practice of packing in a must have game with a system. $200 was a lot when the SNES came out, but the damn thing came with Super Mario World, which remained one of the best games for that system through its life span.

I'm just afraid to have a PS3 sitting under my plasma TV when the ladies come over and say "you spent $600 on a video game?" <_<

When you bought a Plasma, you have bigger problems to worry about. :p

But seriously, hooked up to my Denon and my SXRD, the PS3 will be one of the least expensive AV components I have. :ph34r:

The truly sad part about the price? No pack in game! Companies need to go back to the good ole practice of packing in a must have game with a system. $200 was a lot when the SNES came out, but the damn thing came with Super Mario World, which remained one of the best games for that system through its life span.

It's ironic actually, because in the Super NES and Genesis days before the core systems, pepole grumbled about that there should be a cheaper way to buy a system without the game so they could buy one of their choice.

At least the Wii gives a pack in. And with the PS3, we'll get a BD movie most likely.

Yeah, consoles are more expensive and don't include a pack-in now. Ouch.

I wonder if Sony will include a BD demo disk, at the very least? A movie would be nice, but there's a lot of crappy movies out there. Then again, something like one of the Spider~Man movies would be pretty nice.

Yeah, consoles are more expensive and don't include a pack-in now. Ouch.

I wonder if Sony will include a BD demo disk, at the very least? A movie would be nice, but there's a lot of crappy movies out there. Then again, something like one of the Spider~Man movies would be pretty nice.

The "rumor" is Talladega Nights as the pack in. It seems like an odd choice but so far, all the talk has been that this could be it. Some fans want FF VII Advent Children on BD but I seriously don't think that will happen for the PS3's launch. You'd think it would be an action title or something given the guessed demographic but there are no real titles fitting that are "new" enough.

The only thing that displaces the rumor is the fact that the PS3 will be released next month and that Tal Nights is a Dec. release so it would give the PS3 owners a movie that has "yet to be released" to the masses.

its too bad for you guys Metal Gear Solid is gonna cost like $90 :(

When you bought a Plasma, you have bigger problems to worry about. :p

hey don't hate. I've got a little extra change in my pockets so I go for the best. nothing touches a plasma's color contrast, black levels, viewing angle etc.

if there was an LCD out there that looked as good as my 43" Pioneer I would have got it but I couldn't find one B))

oh well, local Gamestop manager called and said they were starting preorders today at 10am.

so, what did i do in my infinite non-wisdom? i drove my a$$ out there at opening time and plunked down $200 on two preorders for the premium system.

that means one less YF-19 for me. ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

why.......do.......i.......do.......stuff......like......this........

but when I got home, my VF-0A from Samurai_M was in! woohoo!

how did you get 2? it was one per household wasn't it?

A mix of good/bad news for Sony/PS3 -

Research Findings Put PS3 Way Ahead

One interesting thing from the study:

The research also found that despite all of the bells and whistles of PS3 and Xbox 360 with next generation DVD capabilities, online gaming and downloadable content, the key driver for consumers purchasing a new console was the games, especially exclusive games.

As for a little something that could potentially effect the PS3 in the future -

Sony Debt Rating takes a hit.

Again, incorrect.

The game is so far away from release that is is indeed only speculation, but it has been said that major productions like Metal Gear Solid 4 could end up selling beyond the price of "standard" PS3 games (not including any special edition version with extra goodies).

Didn't some Sony 'exec say something to the effect of, "Oh, don't worry, PS3 games won't cost over $100..."

one was for me, and one was for our k9 guy, we were both on our way there and he got called in to do a search and the people at GS were nice enough to let my 4 yr old order and pay for him :)

They sold four by 10:05, I had the first two. As I was walking about, 10 people walked in. I went back later in the day and they told me they sold out by 10:10.

The good thing about that GS is that if you look it up on yahoo or mapquest, it gives you wrong directions.

hahaha

it's about 1.5 miles down the road where it's all residential.

or there's a coupon inside for when the BR gets released.

Anyways, did any of you check out ebay today?

PS preorder = $$$$$$$$$

http://cgi.ebay.com/Playstation-3-Premium-...0037119547QQihZ

:o This is just crazy, I'm glad some one did the fake buy it now.

Hilarious!

I'm wondering how many preorder folks will get left out in the cold, this year?

I imagine a couple thousand people are going to be stuck with $100 in EB Games store credit.

just like what happened with the Xbox360... :rolleyes:

talk about poopy.

the GS I went to was sold out by 9:10 even tho they opened at 10. The assistant store manager came out and let us sign a piece of paper for the first 6 in line.

a fat lady came by around 9:50 before they opened and was all pissed because nobody told her to line up before hand like the other people did. she demanded the managers name and number like that'll really do anything. even if they did start to sell at 10, she woud have been like 12'th in line and they only had enought for the first 6 ppl. I hate ppl like that so the whole time I was trying to piss her off more by telling her about what first come first served meant lol.

I imagine a couple thousand people are going to be stuck with $100 in EB Games store credit.

just like what happened with the Xbox360... :rolleyes:

talk about poopy.

Shouldn't be quite as bad since they limited pre-order numbers per store unlike the 360. The people who get screwed as part of the initial 8-16 units per GS will be likely because of employee "intervention".

yeah.. they probably learned a lot by what went down with that launch.

hell, I didn't even bother with getting a launch 360 and it wasn't until a buddy of mine told me he'd buy my Xbox1 from me back in March that I got around to getting one. and even then I had to call around a little to find a premium version.

Not a product in the world that I would do that for.

I woulda' done that for you old 'TA... :lol:

Tell me you don't miss that ride... :(

Edited by myk

I woulda' done that for you old 'TA... :lol:

Tell me you don't miss that ride... :(

Sometimes...but she's being taken care of well. I see her all the time on the road. The Goat is a bit easier to live with though. I really need some kinda pickup too dammit. :lol:

Oops, going OT.

Back OT:

Regarding load speeds. Is it really so much the speed, or how it's arranged on the disc? Because loading speeds for "comparable" stuff seems to vary greatly, and I see quite a few comments about how a big factor is at the very very end of production, where they actually "arrange" where data is located on the disc.

Valk Profile 2 (which keeps getting better) is amazingly fast in loads. For the most detailed and gorgeous textures I've ever seen on a PS2. "Simple" graphics in other games can take far longer.

Or compare Xenosaga 2 and 3. Completely opposite in loading times for very similar engines.

And then there's always streaming loading. And then caching, used to great effect in Oblivion.