Super Stealth Redux

ghostryder

I’m customizing a SS for a friend (probably a dumb thing to do; after handling this thing, now I want the whole darn SS pack vs. just the stealth fastpacks).

Anyhoo, he wants to make the valk look more subdued and stealthy, and less patchy. So far, I’ve stripped the patchy gray paint from the back fuselage and painted over part of the tail fins so the squad markings won’t cross over 2 colors, like the current skull does. I was thinking of also painting over one of the legs parts and stripping the paint from the glove half right above the intakes (see attached thumbnail pic). I’m planning on light gray/white kites and warning markings with a Blue Roses scheme.

For those with constructive suggestions on what else could be done to subtly improve the looks of the SS, please chime in.

IMG_0103.jpg

post-3171-1154623078_thumb.jpg

Edited by ghostryder

I think that would work.

422222[/snapback]

I guess it's unanimous!

I'll post some more pics when the paint stripping on the legs is done. I think the intake covers will need to get the gunmetal paint treatment - that ghastly DYRL green-gray just doesn't work.

In the meantime, that crappy clear eyepiece had to go....

lens1.jpg

Edited by ghostryder

I think that would work.

422222[/snapback]

I guess it's unanimous!

I'll post some more pics when the paint stripping on the legs is done. I think the intake covers will need to get the gunmetal paint treatment - that ghastly DYRL green-gray just doesn't work.

In the meantime, that crappy clear eyepiece had to go....

lens1.jpg

422503[/snapback]

Yeah the green grey just shouldnt be allowed on the intakes. The eye looks much better now.

Progress shots showing "blackout" on rear top fuselage, lower wing glove, upper thighs, ventral fins, and tail fins. I've also added panel lines and light gray low-vis stickers added. I think the low-vis stickers are the way to go with the SS. Even those farkin' "NO STEP" stickers were worthwhile.

fight_pre1.jpg

fightiso_prewtail.jpg

Edited by ghostryder

So.. any suggestions on how to make the low-hanging shoulders (a.k.a. scrotum sack) a bit more stealthy?  :p

scrotum.jpg

423119[/snapback]

What about making the lateral edges black and leaving the front/back panels grey? (see attached)

Love the scheme so far - has me rethinking my Hase 1A color scheme. How's it look in battroid?

post-2681-1154962117_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kelsain

What about making the lateral edges black and leaving the front/back panels grey?

423209[/snapback]

Works for me.

I get the feeling that this will turn out to be a leason on how Yamato should have done it.

I finally got a chance to stop by the hobby store to get some gunmetal color paint, so here is the finished product, still need to do fastpacks :( . It is very similar to the custom 1J CF in my avatar, but this valk ain't mine so I don't care.

Battroid - I wanted to paint the entire bicep sections black but was afraid of paint scratching around the elbow and shoulder, so the arms a bit more stripey than I'd like <_< .

ss_batt1.jpg

ss_batt2.jpg

Battroid close-up of new eye piece and painted intake covers.

ss_batt4.jpg

Fighter

ss_fight1.jpg

Fighter side

ss_fight2.jpg

Fighter front - why didn't Yamato paint the intake fans? I took care of that.

ss_fight3.jpg

Fighter underside - scrotum sack painted black per Kelsain's sugggestion.

ss_fight4.jpg

Gear down shotz

IMG_0104.jpg

IMG_0106.jpg

Thanks to all who chimed in with suggestions.

Edited by ghostryder

:o

Spectacular.

The J has always been my favorite. This is like the epitome of all the colored pencil RT:RPG lineart and crappy model paint jobs I did as a kid. Just wow. Hope you don't mind if I borrow a couple ideas for my dk green/blue Hasegawa.

:blink::blink::blink: It's a VF-1J Shadowfighter :ph34r:

Just kidding, nice job. I think that, that particular pattern of colouration on the chest-plate (Darker top--light sides and front) should be known from here on out as the "ghostryder scheme"! :lol:B))

Edited by Chas

I think that, that particular pattern of colouration on the chest-plate (Darker top--light sides and front) should be known from here on out as the "ghostryder scheme"! :lol:  B))

Honestly, I'd like to know where this scheme originated. I redid a 1/55 with this pattern way before the SS came out, but I'm sure I'm ripping someone else off :ph34r: .