Fifa World Cup 2006

Oihan

OT but I'll run for a couple more days.

I don't get the craziness either. I actually played Soccer in College. No as part of an offical school team. I decided to take it as required PE credit. Class was called begining/medium level soccer. Most who took the class along with the butch PE teacher were big soccers fans who kept repeating the course. Some were not full or even part time students but used it as a way to play the game. This sucked for us begineers. We weren't really taught anything. Well I learned enough to look really cool if I'm moving in slow-mo.

I hate to admit it, but we [uS team] do kinda suck.

Which is weird given the US team is ranked fifth in the world.
I saw part of the Australia/Germany match, and the Aussies truly ought to be commended for their play.  They held their own against one of the true "powerhouse" teams until the closing minutes of the match, when Germany finally scored their 2 in quick succession.  Until then, the Aussies were giving them what-for.

411066[/snapback]

That was Sweden playing Germany, I believe. Australia plays Italy next week.

being an Aussie it's really interesting to watch the cultural revolution with soccer in this country right now. Aussies love their football (rugby leage, rugby union and AFL) so Soccer always got left behind. Add to the fact we've never been very good. In my lifetime (30 years) soccer has never been very popular in the mainstream. I played for several years as a kid and it wasn't something you went telling everyone! So now with the whole country going apesh*t for soccer it's something I've never seen before.

411055[/snapback]

I have been rooting for Oz since the beginning, and seeing them fare fantastically so far is a great feeling. Although since I have Italian nationality as well as British I am a long-time supporter of Italy, thus next week is gonna leave me torn in two. I know it'll be an amazing match though.

And Roy, please leave the thread open at least until the end of the tournament. Remember we had a World Cup thread four years ago too.

I saw the Aussies VS Brazil (not Germany..ehem) too and Id say the Aussies had come a long way back from last 4 year's WC (or was it the previous 2 WC's - 8 years ago?)...they even seemed to dominate the game for the first half....salute!

I think they lose bcuz they went out of gas..if they do have the 'gas' on the 2nd half, Brazil would have been in trouble.

Edited by aaajin

Well, actually, the last time we were there was some 30 years ago and was knocked out before any goal was scored. So you can understand how nuts are the Australian right now!!! :rolleyes:

This time, we have a great coach (Gus Heddik, we really need to name a city after him) and some very talented individuals. So watch out Italy!!!! :D

I saw the Aussies VS Brazil too and Id say the Aussies had come a long way back from last 4 year's WC (or was it the previous 2 WC's - 8 years ago?)...they even seemed to dominate the game for the first half....salute!

..if they do have the 'gas' on the 2nd half, Brazil would have been in trouble.

411134[/snapback]

England 1-0 and sits on it until full time :)

Who do you guys think will win todays games?  I'm thinking England for sure, and a toss up between Portugal and the Netherlands.

411157[/snapback]

Go Ghana or any other underdog!!!

:lol::lol::lol:

And I hate when players take lame-ass dives, just to try and get a call in their favour. If they dive, there should be like a "10 min sit-out-of-play rule" or something. Some players are such babies ....

<_<

"Wah I have internal injuries and a broken leg! Penalize the other team because I threw myself in front of someone's kick purposely! Bring a stretcher quick! I"m gonna die!!! ... ... ... No penalty? Aw, okay I'll go back to playing I'm fine, it was all just an act, I suck don't I? :D "

I hate those players.

ouch...prolly those were not WC games...maybe the Commonwealth Games :lol: ? ..I think so.. <_<

Yeah, looks like England's gonna win this one. As for the other match, no matter who wins Id still be a happy man...mmmm :) WC 2006 for Holland & Portugal !...but since all the good old folks in Holland are all gone (esp. Bergcamp), so Im more inclined to support Portugal.

aaajin

"Wah I have internal injuries and a broken leg!  Penalize the other team because I threw myself in front of someone's kick purposely!  Bring a stretcher quick!  I"m gonna die!!! ... ... ...  No penalty?  Aw, okay I'll go back to playing I'm fine, it was all just an act, I suck don't I? :D "

I hate those players.

411181[/snapback]

me too .....

<_<

Dammit.

I can't believe it. We dominated the game and they were down a man (a rather harsh decision on Italy). And they got a penalty when their man fell ontop of our defender in the box (a stupid decision on us).

I can't believe its over when it was going so well. I mean 32 years :(

Edited by Fit For Natalie

Crap!! Godammit. That should NOT have been a penalty. Italy let me down in 1990 when Roberto Baggio sent that ball flying to Jupiter on the decisive penalty shoot-out, and now when I root for the underdog Aussies they go and do this. They weren't even playing that well, for god's sakes. Oh, well. Guess I'll cheer on Switzerland from now on.

Funny how the last thing we were talking about were the "it was all an act" players and now the Aussies are out because of that.

Aussies are out due to a controvertial decision with the ump./ Italy go forward.

Brazil will advance to the next round too, that's a given, but out of Germany and France, who would advance?

ugh... the swiss and ukraine game sucked. Very disappointing game. I don't like the whole penalty kick rule to decide a winner. Well at least I don't have to worry about that with the brazil game tomorrow! go brazil! ;):D:p:lol:

Like many of my Australian compatriot, this morning, I am a sombre man… :(

Our beloved and brave Socceroos got beaten (robbed if you are from down under) once again by dumb-ass refereeing decision in our clash with the Italian. We exited in possibly the cruelest fashion you could imagine.

We were the underdog, so it was no big deal to lose if we played well. We would have walked away tall and proud for making this far in our first Round 16 appearance…..

But….boy, did we played well, that is exceptionally well. We manage to hold off and match up with the mighty Italian team for the entire 1st half and dominated the second half when the Italian was reduced to 10 men.

By the 82th minute, we were no longer the underdog, we were on path to cause a major upset…and tragedy striked…the freaking ref handed a penalty to the Italian in the dying 30 secs. Replay clearly showed it was a wrong decision and the rest was history…

Anyhow, we are still very proud of our boys and it will be one hell of a city parade when they returned.

BTY I want to kill some Spanish referees right now :angry:

Beware of Argentina :lol:

411600[/snapback]

Nah, I have a feeling Germany will beat Argentina. ;)

Like many of my Australian compatriot, this morning, I am a sombre man…

Our beloved and brave Socceroos got beaten (robbed if you are from down under) once again by dumb-ass refereeing decision in our clash with the Italian. We exited in possibly the cruelest fashion you could imagine.

We were the underdog, so it was no big deal to lose if we played well. We would have walked away tall and proud for making this far in our first Round 16 appearance…..

But….boy, did we played well, that is exceptionally well. We manage to hold off and match up with the mighty Italian team for the entire 1st half and dominated the second half when the Italian was reduced to 10 men.

By the 82th minute, we were no longer the underdog, we were on path to cause a major upset…and tragedy striked…the freaking ref handed a penalty to the Italian in the dying 30 secs. Replay clearly showed it was a wrong decision and the rest was history…

Anyhow, we are still very proud of our boys and it will be one hell of a city parade when they returned.

BTY I want to kill some Spanish referees right now 

I feel ya there dood. I saw that too and was like what the hell? I was going for the Italians but still. That was a hella bad call. And the guy sucked on his thumb after he made the goal. Da hell was that about? Well it doesn't matter because they're not gonna go all the way. The Germans will take em out. :D:p:lol:

I know, what is the deal with the thumb sucking!? :blink:

Is bad enough that Totti took all the hot Italian chicks, but we were beaten by a guy whom like sucking his thumb...maybe women likes that sort of stuffs.... :unsure:

And the guy sucked on his thumb after he made the goal. Da hell was that about?

411608[/snapback]

Beware of Argentina :lol:

411600[/snapback]

Nah, I have a feeling Germany will beat Argentina. ;)

411608[/snapback]

If Germany beats us I pay you a beer :lol:

We'll beat Germany and if Italy moves to the semifinals we'll make justice for the Aussies ;)

BTY I want to kill some Spanish referees right now  :angry:

411597[/snapback]

There was something funny about that referee from the very beginning. Notice how he let them play on after Italy dribbled the ball over the edge of the pitch, thus negating Australia a throw-in. I think it's about time we did away with refs and just let the boys in the editing suite decide the free kicks and penalties. <_<

OMG, you are right!!!!! Why??? Why????? :(

There was something funny about that referee from the very beginning.  Notice how he let them play on after Italy dribbled the ball over the edge of the pitch, thus negating Australia a throw-in.  I think it's about time we did away with refs and just let the boys in the editing suite decide the free kicks and penalties. <_<

411647[/snapback]

Right now the Brazil vs Ghana match is going anf Brazil is winning, 2-0. Brazilian player Ronaldo beat the world record of number of goals with the first goal of the game around the 5th minute.

addition: Brazil won, 3-0. :D Brazil advances! And the French commentors hate Brazil and constantly made snide remarks about the Brazil team. 9_9 At the end of the match they were talking about how "France is going to beat Spain and then we're going to kick Brazil's ass and we'll have great memories!"

Edited by Sumdumgai

In their frog-eating dreams. We still got a beef to settle back from that Brazil-France final on 1998. :angry:

But we are the winners today B))

Right now the Brazil vs Ghana match is going anf Brazil is winning, 2-0.  Brazilian player Ronaldo beat the world record of number of goals with the first goal of the game around the 5th minute.

addition: Brazil won, 3-0.  :D Brazil advances!  And the French commentors hate Brazil and constantly made snide remarks about the Brazil team.  9_9  At the end of the match they were talking about how "France is going to beat Spain and then we're going to kick Brazil's ass and we'll have great memories!"

411782[/snapback]

That sucks for the Australian team.  Isn't Italy in trouble anyway for some stuff regarding their soccer team anyway though?

411728[/snapback]

During the last WC, after they lost to the Koreans, the Italian team that had the Korean bloke that scored the goal (for his home country Korea) kicked off the team.

In a couple hours is the Spain vs France match. I'm cheering for Spain. :D

Addition: Match in about 20 minutes. I can hear drums and cheering outside in the streets, France is really excited about this match. Whoever wins is going up against Brazil next.

Addition2: Damn, France won. 3-1. It wasn't a pretty match, the two teams kept tripping, ramming, headbutting, and shoving each other in the face. It's going to be Brazil vs France.

Edited by Sumdumgai

Well….would be nice if it was real but e-mails of the above picture is now flying 100m/hr within the Australian community.

Our local paper front page this morning....

post-3608-1151455456.jpg

411891[/snapback]

Hahaha, yea...I thought it was bullsh*t as well. Two of the three teams I've wanted to advance didn't...my hope lies in Ukraine now!