Sdcc 2006 Toynami Exclusive Valk

xstoys

FYI: LOS has some for sale online for $34.99 + shipping.

:)

www.laftoys.com

418590[/snapback]

Thanks for the heads up. I just ordered one. I know it's about $10.00 overpriced, but I consider that a reasonable fee to pay considering I wouldn't be able to get one by traditional means.

I guess some of you guys are just a lot more picky than me, which you totally have the right to be, but these look great to me. I have 3 Yamato 1/48's and while I think they are the best rendition of the VF-1 we've ever got in toy-form, I just can't afford to "catch 'em all." These Toynami 1/100's on the other hand, they afford me the opportunity to have a complete collection (provided they don't release too many of these "exclusives"). So, since I decided I would try to collect all of these, I figured I might as well splurge the extra $10 and get the VF-1S Hikaru, which is my fav valk anyway.

Also, I think what makes the 1S head look "fugly", as some have put it, is that the chin appears to be a bit too long. Or maybe it's the neck that's too long. Maybe a combination of both. Either way, it's not too ugly as to be a deal-breaker for me.

I grabbed one. I like the scale and the idea but the quality is pretty shoddy.

419101[/snapback]

Agreed. I picked up two at Comic-Con one to keep in the box (which got warped from packing, oh well) and one to bust open.

I got one myself at AX.

I'm disappointed in the gunpod attachment to the handle as its too loose.

Second it can not even be adjusted in gerwalk mode when using the stand, it just goes down and falls (Well almost).

But other than that its cool, I have not applied the decals either. Instructions are untouched.

I got 811/1000, when getting this I did not know it was a limited edition till a the next day at AX. Well the best $25 I have ever spent at a con.

Edited by Dean

Looking forward to reading it. Might also want to compare it to the masterpieces and chunky munky in terms of posability etc. I love side by side comparisons in reviews.

Sure, once I get it I'll see what other toys it has some similarities to and get all the pics together I can. I might just load up the server with a temporary review with a ton of pics and then go back a month later and slim it down big time. :)

WHERE ARE THE FRIGGIN' REVIEWS?!

If this was a stupid Yamato product, there would have been a review up a week or two ago. Tons of people already have this thing, and yet there's nothing! I know we're all biased against Toynami, but this is ridiculous.

And no, this is not directed towards anybody. I'm just shocked that I can't find one site on the internet that has up-close pictures or comments -- not even a mini-review. And I'm impatient because I've been salivating over these things for months and mine hasn't arrived in the mail yet.

I feel like I'm gonna die if I don't see a good profile shot or head-on shot in fighter mode.

EDIT: Found this:

After taking pictures of this figure, here is my impression:

Overall the quality of this figure is excellent! They feel much sturdier than the Banpresto figures and they actually stay put together in all three modes. I also really like the display stand and the fact that you can use it to display the valk in all 3 modes. It comes with different attachments to accomplish that and works very well.

The overall paint job on this figure is also very nice for a 1/100 scale figure. Honestly, it looks better than some of their larger scale toys. The gun pod is collapsible and there is plenty of clearance for it in fighter mode. Also, the multiple hands come with the ball type attachments which help them stay on.

After playing with this figure, I'm pleasantly surprised at the quality and am really looking forward to playing with the rest of them. Speaking of which, we just got our shipment of the first series so we'll be working on getting those shipped out right away.

Edited by danth

I dont know if this is with everyones but the backpack just doesnt want to stay up in Battroid mode. Also because it is all plastic it doesnt like to stand in any kinda dynamic poses. Its a decent cheap toy but I am spoiled by my Yamato's

Now if Toynami made some damn Southern Cross toys....

If this was a stupid Yamato product, there would have been a review up a week or two ago. Tons of people already have this thing, and yet there's nothing! I know we're all biased against Toynami, but this is ridiculous.

And no, this is not directed towards anybody. I'm just shocked that I can't find one site on the internet that has up-close pictures or comments -- not even a mini-review. And I'm impatient because I've been salivating over these things for months and mine hasn't arrived in the mail yet.

I feel like I'm gonna die if I don't see a good profile shot or head-on shot in fighter mode.

hehe well with all the excitement of the yamato stuff you can forgive us for being a little distracted. I mean....the yf19 for crying out loud. All we pretty much need to know is if they succeed in beating the banpresto. Remember though there are not that many fans here of that to begin with so don't expect huuuge reaction. (banpresto falls apart and needs a bit of modding to hold together. It's more an acquired taste. But if this beats MPC then it is a win for those who want smaller scale at decent price)

Unlike chunky munky I don't see many galleries where people dedicate to the banpresto because of that. I was hoping when they get to 1/100 destroids and other mecha we see some interesting galleries of it. (ie teams of valk with destroids etc)

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

hehe well with all the excitement of the yamato stuff you can forgive us for being a little distracted. I mean....the yf19 for crying out loud. All we pretty much need to know is if they succeed in beating the banpresto. Remember though there are not that many fans here of that to begin with so don't expect huuuge reaction. (banpresto falls apart and needs a bit of modding to hold together. It's more an acquired taste. But if this beats MPC then it is a win for those who want smaller scale at decent price)

Unlike chunky munky I don't see many galleries where people dedicate to the banpresto because of that. I was hoping when they get to 1/100 destroids and other mecha we see some interesting galleries of it. (ie teams of valk with destroids etc)

419925[/snapback]

TO me the banpresto is what it is, a cheap candy toy not meant to do much. The real comparison should be between this and the imai/bandai 1.100 variable kits. These already beat them in the articulation and durability department...as well asnot having to swap outthe entire nosecone to facilitate transformation.

I dont know if this is with everyones but the backpack just doesnt want to stay up in Battroid mode. Also because it is all plastic it doesnt like to stand in any kinda dynamic poses. Its a decent cheap toy but I am spoiled by my Yamato's

Now if Toynami made some damn Southern Cross toys....

419875[/snapback]

Actually, you have to push the backpack up until it latches-- there's a little locking ledge (actually two on either end of the "BP-8" equivalent) that keeps it up in battroid mode. And just in case anyone missed the memo, for the love of Kawamori, don't do the same with the 1/48s :p.

What I have trouble with is that the backpack is a little floppy in fighter mode -- putting her through barrel rolls is a little awkward :)

Edited by Pat Payne