Best Anime Fights (by Category) Part 1

What do you think are the best anime fights of the following types?

BEST SWORDFIGHT

think Kenshin

BEST HAND-TO-HAND COMBAT FIGHT

think Crusher Joe

BEST MONSTER/DEMON FIGHT

BEST MAGIC(MAGIC USER) FIGHT

think Dragon Ball

BEST GIRLFIGHT(...now I know that anyone of the above categories could involve girls, but nonetheless, as applicable, place a response here too)

BEST OLD MAN FIGHT(you know the kind. When the Sage/geezer of the show, steps in to kick butt)

BEST SWORDFIGHT

Jiro vs. Tenkai (The Dagger of Kamui)

Honorable Mention: Jubei Kibagami vs. Utsutsu Mujuro (Ninja Scroll)

Spike vs. Asimov Solenson (Cowboy Bebop episode 1)

Honorable Mention: Ryu vs. Fei Long (Street Fighter II: The Movie)

BEST GIRLFIGHT

A-Ko Magami vs. B-Ko Daitokuji (Project A-Ko)

BEST MECHA/ROBOT FIGHT

YF-19 vs. YF-21 (Macross Plus)

Honorable Mention: Gundam GP01-Fb vs. Gundam GP02A (Mobile Suit Gundam 0083 episode 10)

I am basing my opinions primarily on style, feel, and intensity, there maybe better animated or more complex examples but these would be my personal favs:

Best swordfight: Tie between Guts Vs Snake demon and Kenshin Vs Saitoh. The Guts Vs Snake Demon fight is a winner because I think they did a good job job of expressing how much force a sword of that size carrys, there are other examples of swords just as big and people waving them around like a freakin cutlass, in Berserk you can see the effort it takes to swing and the fact that impacts have a large crushing force in addition to cutting, just some intense stuff. As for Kenshin Vs Saitoh, I tihnk it was a great visual of speed, skill, and flexibility, they both made use of their surroundings in the fight giving it more depth than just a 'two guys in an arena' thing, many of the large fights later on the in series got a little over the top with unrealistic secret supermoves and people disappearing and flashing around cause they're too fast to see.

Best hand to hand fight: I don't tihnk I've seen that many fights that stayed strictly hand to hand in anime without escalating into something with weapons or powers. Nothing amazing comes to mind so I'll leave that blank.

Best monster fight: To this day, one of my favorite fight scenes of all time remains EVA-01 Vs Sachiel (Sachiel counts as a monster right?) That fight is absolutely brutal if you actually think about what's going on, I mean, EVA-01 rips out one of sachiels ribs and starts stabbing him(?) with it. Awesome battle.

Best magic fight: DBZ goes way over the top and drags everything out, I mean, after the Cell saga began nobody's power made sense anymore, Vegeta manages to almost kill Cell, then he goes into the time chamber and trains for 2 years, Cell just sat around and did nothing, and all of a sudden nobody can do anything except Gohan, WTF. Anyway, I think my favorite magic user fights took place in FMA, I can't think of a specific one but they hard gritty fights, not just people shooting spells/energy back and forth.

Best girl fight: I had a great one in mind but I can't tihnk of the characters or show, so I'll just fall back on Noir, last fight between Chloe and Kirika/Mireille.

Best old man fight: Just for the hell of it, New Cutey Honey, the old guy show up with the rocket launcher pack and destroys half the city, I was laughing my ass off at that.

Also: Not sure how I would categorize an entire OVA, but I thought the fights in Photon were great, smooth and fluid animation, vivid sharp lines and colors, excellent integration of soundtrack, overall awesome fight scenes.

A7, I was trying to think of a good fight from Bebop for hand to hand, but I ended up not counting any cause they all had weapons involved at some point, IIRC Asimov had a gun/knife, if I'm wrong though and it was strictly hand to hand then put that down as my fav. :)

A7, I was trying to think of a good fight from Bebop for hand to hand, but I ended up not counting any cause they all had weapons involved at some point, IIRC Asimov had a gun/knife, if I'm wrong though and it was strictly hand to hand then put that down as my fav.  :)

405384[/snapback]

spike vs pierre le fou in cowboy bebop. though not just hand-to-hand, i still think it will qualify...

Best Sword Fight: Kenshin vs. Saito re-united (Rurouni Kenshin tv series)(agree with NERV). Saito would have beat Kenshin had no one interfered (at the AX with Watsuki, someone asked which of the two would win. Saito would always win, unless Kenshin was fighting to protect someone). The battle was pretty intense, they both made fatal mistakes that could have cost either of them their lives. Unlike every other idiot in the series, Saito sees Kenshin leap into the air, so he stabs him out of the air rather than block.

-runner up: Kenshin vs Jine (Rurouni Kenshin OVA2). Jine looks seriously sick. I almost crapped my pants when he glared at Kaoru. That was a pretty intense fight, plus it had Otsuka Akio playing Jine with that sick twisted laugh while he goads Kenshin.

-runner up: Van vs Black Dragon Clan on Airship (Escaflowne the movie). Van owned them all. Fast paced, bloody, and brutal.

Best Hand-to-Hand Combat Fight: Spike vs Vincent (Cowboy Bebop the Movie) They seriously got to beating the living sexual intercourse out of each other. Best hand-to-hand fight in anime I can think of. edit: okay yeah they started it with pistols, but other than opening attacks it was all hand-to-hand until the end.

Best Monster Fight: EVA-02 vs Production Series EVAs (End of Evangelion) The poop has hit the fan, the power cable has been severed, a buttload of powerful hostiles are dropping in, and Asuka has less than 5 minutes to kill everyone. Pretty intense fight from what I remember, but it's been a while since I watched it.

Best Magic Fight: Virgo Shaka vs Gemini Saga, Capricorn Shura, and Aquarius Camus (Saint Seiya Hades Arc Sanctuary Chapter) It's not really magic, but neither are ki-blasts, so whatever. Three of the most powerful Gold Saints triple teaming a guy that usually kills powerful people without opening his eyes, and when he does open them you're dead but you just don't know it yet. Hi-power attacks, lots of drama for fans of the series, and lots of pain filled expressions. In Saint Seiya it looks like it hurts when people get hit with stuff.

Best Girl Fight: I can't think of any that was particularly good other than Project A-ko I guess

Best Old Man Fight: Aries Shion vs Libra Dohko (Saint Seiya Hades Arc Santuary Chapter) The old purple Yoda-ish dude that never fought throughout the whole series, finally fights. Plus he pulls a trick that had me going WTF when I saw it.

Edited by Sumdumgai

BEST MECHA/ROBOT FIGHT

Honorable Mention: Gundam GP01-Fb vs. Gundam GP02A (Mobile Suit Gundam 0083 episode 10)

405378[/snapback]

That was my pick too! B))

Greatest Tear Jearking Moment after an Alien Battle:

Gunbuster.

When a continent tells you in lights "Welcome Home" in Kana (Okaiiri Nasai) you can't help feeling emo :( .

Edited by gerwalk25

I second those in my list that are already mention by others. I am greedy with Mecha Scenes. :D

BEST SWORDFIGHT

Jubei Kibagami vs. Utsutsu Mujuro (Ninja Scroll)

Spike vs. Vincent (Cowboy Bebop The Movie)

BEST GIRLFIGHT

Too lazy to look them up, but Rio from Burn Up and Utena from Revolutonary Girl must have some kickass duel scenes.

BEST MECHA/ROBOT FIGHT

Eva 02 vs Eva Production (NGE The Moview)

Nu Gundam vs. Sazabi (MS Gundam 0Char's Counter Attack)

VF-1a (Max) vs RauQ (Miria) (DYRL) (Thanks wolfx for picking this up)

Edited by Mowe

Greatest Monster Fight

For me, it's a toss-up between Guyver I vs Enzyme (original animated series) and Guyver vs Guyver Zoanoid from the second live action movie. Both fights had great choreography, and when fighting against Enzyme I, there's the rest sense of danger to the hero that's absent in most shows.

Honorable Mention: Ryu vs. Fei Long (Street Fighter II: The Movie)

Word. That fight just blew me away when I first saw it. So beautifully animated and paced.

Best Mech fight for me are in the FL CL Disc 1

Canti (sp?) vs that robot in ep 2(and its hand in episode 1).

the use of keyframes and "loading" the motion just gets me all exicted everytime.

When canti eats the kid and turns red in the second fight, that first kick he does where he jumps, windsup, spins, winds up a little more, spins again, again, and POW.

haha yes!

BEST SWORDFIGHT

Karas VS.....anything..... :ph34r:

Jin Vs Mugen (Samurai Champloo)

Spike vs....anything as well. XD (Cowboy Bebop)

Can't think of a specific fight scene, but the "magic" battles in Scrapped Princess were pretty good.

BEST GIRLFIGHT

Ryoufu vs Ryoumou from Ikkitousen...Zomg....short lived fight but the "climax" was what raped my adulthood. :lol:

Lucy VS Nana (Elfenlied) ZOMG. Blood and limbs!!

BEST MECHA/ROBOT FIGHT

Eva 02 vs Eva Production (The End Of Eva)

Roy VS Ivanov (Macross Zero)

Max VS Milia (Macross DYRL) (PS: Btw Mowe, max didn't fight milia in a QRau. ;) )

MOST EPIC BATTLE (in anime, they all tend to happen in space)

Banner Of The Stars

Gunbuster episode 5 and 6.

Macross DYRL?

MOST TEARJERKING MOMENT (its not an anime fight)

Saikano......i don't have to say more. :(

Elfenlied, when the "evil" diclonius was carried away by Nana's "dad".

Sword Fights: kenshin ova (but I think Samurai Champloo comes close at the last ep - very interesting finishing move :D )

Hand to hand: Street Fighter Animated movie (chun li vs vega was very cool especially how it flows: with each move being a counter to another move, and the counter itself being countered and so on..)

Mecha: macross plus (its the changing of modes and missile swarms - and the fact the mecha don't move like poo :D But I do like mecha brawl once in a while with each mecha taking damage and it being a contest to see who's robot can take more damage and not fall)

Epic: Macross DYRL. The explosion at the end was cool. Although how did hikaru survive it?

The best fights to me are the ones where you really don't expect the character to win. They get out of the fight through a combination of luck/circumstance, skill, and cunning. I think ninja scroll was good for the fact that each character was using a combination of either magic, thier environment, some strange technique (the big guy with the boomerang) or just plain melee attacks. (the bloody brawl at the end on the sinking ship) So there was an interesting combination of styles.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Best Mech fight for me are in the FL CL Disc 1

Canti (sp?) vs that robot in ep 2(and its hand in episode 1).

the use of keyframes and "loading" the motion just gets me all exicted everytime.

When canti eats the kid and turns red in the second fight, that first kick he does where he jumps, windsup, spins, winds up a little more, spins again, again, and POW. 

haha yes!

405467[/snapback]

oh man, I know exactly what you mean, I looove that fight, and the soundtrack works perfectly with it as well.

BEST SWORDFIGHT

Jin vs Mujin --Samurai Champloo

Spike vs Vincent --Cowboy Bebop

BEST MONSTER/DEMON FIGHT against Human

Ranma vs Pantihose Taro --Ranma 1/2 "Too funny'

Lena vs whoever --Slayers

BEST GIRLFIGHT

The final battle of NOIR

BEST MECHA FIGHT

Don't know the exact battle but I gotta say its now Sousei No Aquarion tied with YF19 vs YF21 from macross plus

BEST OLD MAN FIGHT

Hopposai vs. Shampoo's grandma -- Ranma 1/2

BEST DEMON/Monster fight

Gotta be from Mai HIME