Rebelde The Comic

Ladic

oh yeah, I watch this sometimes... I can't understand a word their saying but they have all these hot chicks in little school girl uniforms... They all have suspenders hanging off to the side... that's so 90's man... :D

oh yeah, I watch this sometimes... I can't understand a word their saying but they have all these hot chicks in little school girl uniforms...  They all have suspenders hanging off to the side... that's so 90's man... :D

394864[/snapback]

same reason I watch :p

ps. it's on at 3pm on Univision (its on right now on the east coast)

Edited by Ladic

Looks stupid

394873[/snapback]

It is. This is entirely targeted to kids between 9-15 years of age. There is a gigantic fanbase here in CA. Not too long ago they had a sold-out event at one of the major forums here.

The only reason I know about this, is that many of our customers ask for these characters to be scanned or drawn on to their cakes.

I just don\'t get why they have those wierd tattoos on their faces.

Looks stupid

394873[/snapback]

It is. This is entirely targeted to kids between 9-15 years of age. There is a gigantic fanbase here in CA. Not too long ago they had a sold-out event at one of the major forums here.

The only reason I know about this, is that many of our customers ask for these characters to be scanned or drawn on to their cakes.

I just don\'t get why they have those wierd tattoos on their faces.

394875[/snapback]

I think the tatooes are takes/copied from Final Fantasy characters (one of the guys has one on the cheek that looks almost like Zell's, from FF8).

I only like the red-haired girl... IRL, of course :lol:

And yeah... it's ironic that the main fanbase of this "thing" is low class teenagers, when the characters are all rich momma-boys with fancy mobile phones and expensive clothes (and VERY SHORT skirts for the girls B)) ).

Edited by Garou Kuroryuu

• 2 weeks later...

311xInlineGallery.jpg

Really Big Deal

With chart-topping songs and a hit TV show, Latin pop group RBD is enjoying a media takeover

By RAMIRO BURR

For The Chronicle

For teen characters who love to rebel against authority, the members of Mexican pop sensation RBD have found a way to connect to the masses.

Their telenovela, Rebelde, airs on prime-time TV in Mexico and the U.S. Their hits are all over Latin pop radio stations and the national charts. It turns out the teen pop craze sparked by 'N Sync and the Backstreet Boys seven years ago hasn't quite run its course. RBD is the next stop.

Proof: RBD's U.S. tour opened in March in Los Angeles before 60,000 screaming fans.

Still, if you don't have a clue as to who RBD is, you're not alone. The incredible rise of RBD, formed only two years ago, occurred over the past six months.

Newcomers and hard-core fans will get a chance to check out this new supergroup when it performs Sunday in The Woodlands.

The Rebelde/RBD concept was created by veteran producer/marketing whiz Pedro Damian.

Rebelde first aired on the huge Televisa network on Oct. 5, 2004. The soap combines the campy music appeal of '60s pop phenom the Monkees with the gentle angst of Friends.

More like a dramatic sitcom than a traditional soap opera, Rebelde details the adventures of teenagers from different backgrounds at the private Elite Way School. The main drama centers on teen life — peer pressure, social rejection, first loves and class conflicts.

All the students wear the preppy Elite Way uniform — the short tartan skirts, white button-down Oxford shirts, red ties and black knee-high boots for girls. For guys, it's blue jeans, coats and ties.

Damian says the soap opera's appeal is its combustible mix of teen personalities.

Early in the soap opera, some of the more photogenic characters — Anahi, Alfonso, Dulce Maria, Maite, Christopher and Christian — decided to form RBD, a pop group as a way to express themselves. Naturally, they sang about puppy love, heartbreaks and self-discovery.

In short order, EMI/Televisa released the Rebelde CD in 2004, and then Nuestro Amor in 2005. En Vivo and Live at the Hollywood Bowl quickly followed as the soap began gaining big audiences in Central and South America, including Brazil where EMI released a Portuguese version of the first CD. In the U.S., Rebelde airs on Univision.

The CDs have been successful even though RBD is not exactly a band. Its members sing but they don't write songs or play instruments. On the albums, Damian and studio producers and musicians wrote and produced everything. On tour, hired musicians back the singers.

Cynics knock RBD's music for being simplistic, but fans think otherwise. According to Billboard, combined CD sales topped 3 1/2 million copies worldwide and they show no sign of slowing down.

The RBD brand goes well beyond the pre-fab music. The product line includes T-shirts, wristbands and ringtones. There's even a Rebelde comic book.

A feature film begins shooting in October.

So where does it go? Just as the beginning of Rebelde was pre-written, so is its ending. And it's coming soon: The show will end June 12.

Damian seems to want to wrap the show before it has a chance to fade. He says simply, "all stories have a beginning and an end."

That doesn't necessarily mean the end of RBD. After this U.S. tour, Damian promises "another series, a spinoff. Then there's the recording of the English-language CD."

But he seems aware of the short life cycle of a teen pop act, which is why he's offering as much RBD as possible right now.

"(Teen pop acts) tend to explode onto the scene, become huge, and then have a relatively short career and disappear from the scene," said Gary Bon Giovanni of concert tracking company Pollstar.

"Their fan appeal is to young kids who are in such a formative stage that their tastes change fairly rapidly. What was cool to them one minute, two years later they'll disavow any knowledge of."

At least the original version, the argentinan Rebelde Way, offered girls nice enough to be able to enjoy it (i'll take Luisana Lopilato over whoever is the one playing now as Mia any day of the millenium), assuming you press mute first.

As this is not the case, I'm not watching this thing even if they paid me.