Tired Of The Toy Hunt

The best thing to do is have your friends look for stuff for you. It's enabled me to get stuff earlier or just be able to have it without me going to every toy store in the area.

For the most part, distribution problems, bad QA and poor character selection have turned me off most domestic toys. With limited display space, domestic action figures always get put away first so with that in mind I don't buy as much as I used to.

As for manufacturers, it's true that Hasbro should readjust their case ratios. Clones always sell out so the fact that there is only 1 per case is just ridiculous. There are so many freaking leftover geonosians that there's no way they'll restock anytime soon.

I think ML has gotten better since the BAF. I see plenty of Sentinel and Apocalypse complete sets that I'm getting sick of it and keep hoping for the next series.

Ah, I too remember with fond memories casually browsing small, large toy stores and department stores alike and finding practically everything my little heart desired. :) Gosh those were the good old days, no such thing as hoarders and/or workers hiding things then for G1 TFs or 1/55 Macross toys! :lol::p In fact, if I recall correctly there were stores that regularly had a good stock of Macross toys since back when they originally came out, they were mighty expensive for the standards back then, basically the price of a new 1/48 or 1/60, and did not move quickly. Pity those stores have since closed down. :(

Nowadays, I do not even bother hunting especially with the price of gas ever increasing and there just isn't anything I recall crave the way I use to when I visit a store anymore. Besides Macross toys for one are rarely in stores nowadays and the TF toys are cheaper to pick up online even with shipping added. The only places I'd even consider going would be cons and even that is a huge maybe. Your mileage may vary. :)

:angry: don't forget your local stockroom horders

i'm cleaning out ours this weekend

who the hell needs 3 scarlet witches and 3 hulk buster iron mans :angry:

yeah i work at target and i'm putting what ever i can on the shelves asap.

god i hate scalpers.....we get like 6 cases of ml at a time and yet all the exclusives "magically disappear" well i found a stockpile and this weekend they'll be on the first peg that i see....

someones going to get pissed :D  :D  :D

389509[/snapback]

What the hell!?!?!?

People do that!?!??!

Geez no wonder I can't find anything where ever I go! :(

Damn! :angry:

389519[/snapback]

the smart scalpers just put stuff on lay-a-way. 10% down and it's safely yours. Sell one ebay at a severe mark-up, get paid, use the money to pay off the lay-a-way and ship it and you still have a nice profit. Kinda like buying on margin :lol:

Regarding the way some stores have half an isle of action figues that pop up overnight, I can verify that. I used to work night stock at TRU, and we would get a shipment of Starwars toys (the christmas before the Episode 1 came out, I kick myself now because I had first dibs on them and never stocked any.) that HAD to be shelved. so move over Transformers, move over G.I. Joe, Starwars has its place.

When a shipment of something I deemed new and snazzy came in, I re-arranged the isle to make room for the new-and-snazzy. I pretty much had control over then layout of the entire boy's toy isles. From the crappy wrestling figures to the reall action figuers, to the model kits to the radio control cars, I laid it out without any planogram. However, the endcaps were off limits, those were sacred ground.

As for large chains holding the manufacturers by the balls, Wal-Mart is a great example. Remember when Sam Walton; bless his heart; was in control? "Made in the USA" was there slogan. "We buy American so you can too.". Well, now that he's dead, Wal-mort no longer buys much of anything from the USA. From Rubbermaid to Zebco fishing reels, they were told that they would get paid X amount of money, or get there products removed from the shelves. Now, Zebco, which was based in Tulsa, Ok, is now based in China. Same with Rubbermaid. They had to outsource in order for their product to stay on Wal-Mart's shelves.

When a shipment of something I deemed new and snazzy came in, I re-arranged the isle to make room for the new-and-snazzy.

So what happens to all the old stuff?

I gather that more space means prices for things are cheaper at the big places. But if it means the makers of those things lose out and thier products lose thier market value so quickly that is kinda sad you know?

I want the people who make the stuff to be rewarded on the greatness of the thing they made (me buying them at a price where most of the money goes to them rather than the middleman) rather than the item not being made because the market is flooded with too much other stuff that if the series isn't popular it no longer is made or is available at a store. This is probably the biggest barrier for the little kid who can't find his fave thing in the toy store anymore and being forced to buy online. If little timmy can't find the rare tf cuz star wars is new, that right there = lost sales. And only the adult fanatic of the series who has access to a car, loads of cash to buy the rare stuff and resell on ebay, is able to gobble up what is left and create whatever artificial shortage he can.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

I usually find everything I want a Frank & Sons... Often more expensive than I want to pay, but you can usually barter (especially if you're spending high dollar and/or in quantity, if not developing a regular consumer relationship from certain of the vendors - I've gotten deals simply because I've bought 2 or 3 times before and asked).

Now some of the harder to find and/or out of production stuff (I've been dying for a 1st Gen Unifive Gatchaman Godphoenix with the fiery shroud), I'm stuck with ebay... I have to say my VF-1 Valkyrie kick has been largely sated. Wish I could find a Hikaru VF-1S for a reasonable price, though.

Star Wars figures are better than ever, even if there's a lack of vehicle support from Hasbro right now... The only thing that could be better for me would be the return of Action Fleet. My TIE Defender would love to have a Wingman... and the things I could do with customization! :ph34r:

GI Joe was pretty cool before the Sigma 6 garbage. I loved the army builder sets they were doing... And the realistic military stuff is damned cool.

Okay the day before I started this post I came back from Kmart. Not my favorite store but I near in the same shopping center I was at so I visited their toy department. The were a little behind in action figures but the selection was good for Kmart.

According to the "old rules" if Kmart has a decent ammount of action figures on the shelfs that are a little old it must mean the Toysrus has to have just gotten in a large order the latest and newest!

Today I visited my bank and since a TRU wasn't too far I made a slight detour. Not only haven't they added anything really new since the Summer they are starting to use some of the action figure retail space to store extra Barbie and Dora and explorer stuff. Mind you the girls toys are some distance away from the boy stuff. TRU just isn't ordering any more action figures or employees or scalpers are picking things up by the case.

When a store like Kmart has better selection then things are really bad.

Edit: I refuse to edit before posting!

I can verify that. I used to work night stock at TRU, and we would get a shipment of Starwars toys (the christmas before the Episode 1 came out, I kick myself now because I had first dibs on them and never stocked any.)

this partly why i stopped collecting. the scalpers and hoarders have taken the fun out of it. not saying you are, but i know a few TrU employees who would grab all the good stuff as soon as it came in and either hoarde it or throw it on ebay. :(

I just picked up an intern at my company who works at a local TRU. He told me that the store he works at has a fierce "you horde and you're fired" policy. He said the managers there always are on the lookout for employees who are hording or scalping toys. He even told me of one guy who had his stash found by a manager and the manager brought it to the attention of everyone working in the store. Talking at length with this guy about his TRU time he pretty much told me that his store gets "a truck a week" on thursdays and from what he said the action figure and collectable stuff only consists of about ten to fifteen boxes off that truck regularly. Then he went on to say that the scalpers know when their trucks come in and that on thursdays when they would be putting out the restock from the truck these people would just hover like vultures waiting for them to put stuff out... sometimes even grabbing boxes off their pallets and opening them and removing the things they wanted. Being honest he told me that sometimes it almost doesn't even matter if people get there on thursday when the new truck arrives as he said usually one or two guys, the "regulars", snatch up all the supposedly rare things right away leaving nothing for everyone else. And then it takes another week to two weeks for a restock which is once again instantly snapped up.

If all that is true or not I don't really know but I have actually shopped at the store he works at (and seen him there and waved to him) and that TRU is downright lousy for toys. They mostly have their action figure isle filled with peg warmers and rarely... very rarely, will I find anything that I want at that store. It's almost pointless going in there lately.

I heard of similar stories of vultures being present once stock goes on the shelves. One story involves a scalpers calling several stores ahead of time and have each one hold a box from him. As the story goes another collector caught on and walk up to customer service asked if there's a box for him. According to the story the scalper confronted him in the parking lot and yell "Your ruining how I make my living." Whether stories like this our true. There are indeed vultures and not every TRU really carries about enforcing scalpers and hordes. There's is no way any of us can fairly compete. We could take a day off of work to get to the stores first but who wants to lose their job over toys? Those who plan to resell them on ebay can afford to.

Some retailers like TRU have their online stores where you can order the a lot of the same stuff. Some collectors do that to avoid the trouble. I only do it when I have a coupon. Not only are you charage shipping and handing but an item will might be listed a few dollars more than at retail.

I don't enjoy collecting as much as I used to. My collecting is now almost entirely limited to stuff I can get online. I have no desire to go into TRU, Target or Wal-Mart time and time again looking for a particular item only to come up empty handed. It just isn't fun anymore. I don't mind spending a few more bucks to have something delivered to my door. Buying online means that I have to be a little more selective about what I collect so that I can stay under budget.

I heard of similar stories of vultures being present once stock goes on the shelves.  One story involves a scalpers calling several stores ahead of time and have each one hold a box from him.  As the story goes another collector caught on and walk up to customer service asked if there's a box for him.  According to the story the scalper confronted him in the parking lot and yell "Your ruining how I make my living."  Whether stories like this our true.  There are indeed vultures and not every TRU really carries about enforcing scalpers and hordes.  There's is no way any of us can fairly compete.  We could take a day off of work to get to the stores first but who wants to lose their job over toys?  Those who plan to resell them on ebay can afford to.

390387[/snapback]

Heh. I remember that story. I thought it was great. My thinking is this: if they're trying to make a living out of it then they should get a business license and do it right. How the heck can you manage to make a living buying toys at retail to resell?!

I heard of similar stories of vultures being present once stock goes on the shelves.   One story involves a scalpers calling several stores ahead of time and have each one hold a box from him.   As the story goes another collector caught on and walk up to customer service asked if there\'s a box for him.   According to the story the scalper confronted him in the parking lot and yell \"Your ruining how I make my living.\"  Whether stories like this our true.   There are indeed vultures and not every TRU really carries about enforcing scalpers and hordes.   There\'s is no way any of us can fairly compete.   We could take a day off of work to get to the stores first but who wants to lose their job over toys?   Those who plan to resell them on ebay can afford to.

390387[/snapback]

Heh. I remember that story. I thought it was great. My thinking is this: if they\'re trying to make a living out of it then they should get a business license and do it right. How the heck can you manage to make a living buying toys at retail to resell?!

390486[/snapback]

It\'s just scalping.

Isn\'t there a law against scalping? Just like selling concert tickets, couldn\'t this be applied?

Wishful thinking. There's no provision that prevents people from buying something and then reselling it. If enough people complained it might raise a few eyebrows but really now, we're talking about toys after all...

Not only are you charage shipping and handing but an item will might be listed a few dollars more than at retail.

But getting to each store takes up your free time right? Maybe that free time could have been spent on other things. So it all evens out imo.

Like if I can't find a specific item, and each shop tells me to come back in two weeks, really why bother? Just order the damn thing direct and you never have to waste effort going back and forth or ringing up to ask if such and such is in stock yet. As you get older, you get more cranky. But I feel for those little kids who miss out on thier fave thing.

Maybe they can shop online, but it isn't the same as seeing and feeling the product and holding the box and being excited about it finally being there in front of you as going online and eating up the cost of the ebay guy.

Little kids that miss out because something wasn't on the shelf at the time they were browsing is where I see the problem. You lose a sale each time the scalper cheats little timmy of getting his hands on the toy of the rare and popular hero he wanted for christmas. Kid cries and parent is now forced to rush to stores with other parents to get it. (like in that arnold schwarzenegger movie) Eventually people no longer want to go there because nothing they were waiting for ever appears and in the long run that is bad.

In the good ole days, shopping was fun because of the lack of percieved scalper activity. Now it must be frustrating only seeing the stuff everyone else already has. I think shopping online is stress free compared to having to rush to stores to grab something due to all the time it takes.

So a guy maybe pushes a 9.99 figure for 20-30 bucks online. After you subtract online related fees, gas, time, packaging, mailing, emailing, etc etc, its probably less than minimum wage per hour.

Aren't most Scalper the guys who charges the highest shipping prices too?

But getting to each store takes up your free time right? Maybe that free time could have been spent on other things. So it all evens out imo.

Like if I can't find a specific item, and each shop tells me to come back in two weeks, really why bother? Just order the damn thing direct

Well a $5 toy is marked up to $8. Shipping and handling could be $4 (if you go the slowest route). That $5 figure becomes $12 and 5-10 business days by the time you get it. Not every thing I am interested in is worth it. Some items I'm on the fence about. Need to see them up close to close the deal. Some would rather do that they drive to every store in town. I have never really drove to every store in town but if I'm in one store for something unrelated I do check out the toy section. My time isn't wasted cause I'm already out and nearby. Of course when I search like this rarely find anything. Sure I could pay more online or drive all around town but I refuse to either.

In the good ole days, shopping was fun because of the lack of percieved scalper activity. Now it must be frustrating only seeing the stuff everyone else already has. I think shopping online is stress free compared to having to rush to stores to grab something due to all the time it takes.

You know what? I like the sun. In theory you can live indoor 24/7 but I love stepping outside.

Scalpers don't lose money since stores have liberal return policies. They can pick up a figure then have 3 months to sell it. If it doesn't sell in that time they just return it. That is why you can walk into a store and see a number of a particular figure that was considered hot at one time.

It is not uncommon to see dozens of a hot figure on Ebay at any given time. It sells well since there are plenty of people looking for that figures. There is always a market since some people are impatient and others just don't want the hassle of finding the figure. I have to admit that I'm one of the later so I do contribute to the problem.

You know what? I like the sun. In theory you can live indoor 24/7 but I love stepping outside.

Here in australia the sun is out a lot of the time. But too much and you get skin cancer. Very hot and sweaty in summer (to the point where I am so tired I can't be bothered moving and can't concentrate) so I would prefer indoors air conditioned atmoshpere.

I'm not fat or unfit and lazy or anything, I just think for rare sh!t it is better to just eat up the cost rather than waste time actually "hunting" for a specific item like how some people have mentioned in order to complete the collection.

Ideally what I would want is equal chance to get any figure within a line rather than having to help others spot where I can see certain figures available so that in the long run the company makes more profit. (because you ended up getting more than 1 figure in the series due to availability of other figures in the line)

I hate how the scalper has destroyed the fun in shopping (kids sshould be able to see rows of different stuff rather than the same stuff and 1 or 2 of the different thing) and I just won't bother going on hunts for this reason because frankly it is not worth it in terms of time. Money isn't a problem if the figure is truly a pain in the ass to find.

It's a different story if you only go to the toy section if you are already at the store for something else, and through luck happen to be there at the moment when a figure you want is there, because that wouldn't necessarily mean you were actively hunting. (more like casual browsing to see if there is something you like)

There is always a market since some people are impatient and others just don't want the hassle of finding the figure. I have to admit that I'm one of the later so I do contribute to the problem.

Exactly. I mentioned that as you get older you get cranky (takes time and effort to spot the best find) and can't stand rushing for something so you just eat it up. (if the price is not too outrageous of course)

Although I don't like it, what can you do if you don't have the time for hunting?

I read an article in the business section of the paper.

It seems Walmart will be changing with inventory. The exact plan hasn't been set yet but Walmart will focusing on items that sale well instead of having a well arounded selection. In other words you come into Walmart looking for Fresh Berry sent Tide or your favorite version of Coke you may not find it any more. A lot of companies according to the article consider Walmart their number one customer. Since Walmart seems to effect everything expect you ability to choose lessen to various degrees at other retailers.

This stories remind me so much of a "Clerks" comic by Kevin Smith.

In order to have the rare SW figures in their store they had to suck up (almost literally) to a TRU like employee during the nights of the deliveries. Scalpers galore, a TRU guy worshiped like a god and plenty of laughs... yet now I see the comic didn't exaggerate so much.

Clerks: the Comic Book