Tell Me About Laserdiscs!

danth

Hey all. I've been seeing old anime laserdics on eBay, usually going extremely cheap. This is kinda sad to me, because I remember when Laserdiscs were the thing to have in anime fandom, although when that was true I was a teenager and watched all my anime on rented VHS tapes. I remember LDs being pretty expensive new (like 50 bucks or so? Let me know if I'm wrong) , and ridiculously expensive if they were rare or out of print. It looks like DVDs have really killed the secondary market for LDs, since I see LDs of popular shows regularly go pretty cheap.

LD's hold some sort of mystique for me, probably because they were so coveted back in the 90's when I my anime interest was at its peak -- nostalgia or something. Also, the covers had huge surface area for really great pictures, and I hear many anime LDs had nice bonuses like liner-notes and stuff. They just seem more exciting than DVDs somehow.

Since I missed out on Laserdisc (I never even heard of them until the 90's when I really got into anime), I'd love to hear some stories about them.

*Do any people here collect them?

*Are there any really cool anime LDs out there we should know about?

*What cool stuff came with LD's?

*Do you think LD's will be collected someday like LP's are now, or were they just too obscure?

I can't wait to hear your replies!

i collect them. Thanks to Gunbuster, he donated a Macross 2 Speciall LD. it has the entire OVA. comes with a special phone card and a poster illustrated by Mikimoto.

Sometimes you can find stuff that doesnt exist on DVD. like my Japanese edition of Dune. it has both regular 2 hr version and the 4 hour versions.

I also have the Starwars Trilogy. THX classic starwars. I even found some LP frames at Urban Outfitters and framed my Starwars trilogy for fun. They look great hung up on the wall.

I love LDs and LD sleeve art, though I can't say I'm a collector. I'll pick one up if it interests me. I have probably only about 10 of 'em in a box somewhere in my garage. Some of the LDs I've got: Street Fighter The Movie (Japanese release), Transformers The Movie (Japanese release), Genocyber (US release), a Ranma 1/2 music video LD, and Evangelion 0:13 & 0:14 (which contains TV Episode 25/Air and TV Episode 26/Magokoro Wo Kimi Ni, respectively).

My most prized LD though is definitely my End of Evangelion LD Box Set. The discs are in CAV and came with all kinds of goodies: special sleeve art made specifically for the set, 3 telephone cards (2 of Rei and 1 of Asuka), a limited edtion clear version of the Bandai HG EVA-01 model, a mini-plush doll of a mass-production EVA, a small clear model of Rei, special "gold" versions of Carddass Masters EVA trading cards, and a few other things that escape me for the moment.

LD's were cool back then, and yes were they EXPENSIVE! I remember them going for $80 at least!

They were too expensive back then for me to collect.

I buy some now though to collect if they are my favorite shows.

Recently I bought the 1980 movie "Flash Gordon" on e-bay for $7 shipped.

I used to be a big anime LD collector. I haven't bought any in quite a while, but I haven't sold any of them either. At last count, I had over 200 of them.

Back in the 80s and 90s, there were countless reasons to love LDs. Primarily, they just about the only way to watch LDs with really good video quality. The only alternative was hunting down and trading for Nth+ generation copies of fansubs on VHS. Or if what you were looking for happened to be liscensed, you could buy it on VHS. But with VHS, even original tapes kinda suck :p

But what really drew me in was the production quality of japanese LDs. You coud tell the companies actually cared about what they were putting on the shelves.

You know when you buy a DVD today, and all that's in that case is a plain looking disc and (maybe) a small sheet with a chapter list on it? Or a DVD boxed set, and they box is practically falling apart when you take off the shrink wrap? Pretty disapointing, right? That's because american companies are cheap, and care nothing about production quality and presentation.

And I hate to say it, but american LDs weren't much different in that respect.

But Japanese LDs... that's a whole 'nother story. You may have been paying $50 per disc, but they made sure you wouldn't be disapointed when you opened it up. I'm talking good quality jackets, liner notes with production info and design art, and sometimes even pin-up posters.

And the best one I've ever seen was on the two Maze OVA LDs -- On the second (unused) side of the disc, they used pink media, and laser-etched it with art from characters from the series. Sort of like the LightScribe disc labeling systems some DVD burners use today. Only this was back in 1996! Oh, and it still has a small video track in the middle of the disc (just saying 'program is recorded on the other side of the disc'), so it'll still play on that side.

And LD boxed sets were the best... a lot of them came with art books you couldn't get anywhere else. For example the second Macross 7 boxed set comes with one that's far and away the most complete Mac7 book.

Plus, they had promotional programs, where if you'd, say, bought a whole TV series on LD, they usually had promotions where you could send in for some freebies. What the present was varied, but it could be a box for the LDs, or limited edition CDs or even LDs (there's a very rare Evangelion LD like this that comes to mind...)

I could go on and on.... but I'm tired of typing :p

So are LDs finally dead in Japan?  I remember they were still pretty popular back in '98-'99, but then around that time I stopped paying attention.

387630[/snapback]

They pretty much died almost overnight in late 1999 early 2000. A few shows got special, limited LD pressing after that, but that soon died as well. The switch to DVD was amazingly fast.

Are there any recordable ld's in excistance?

387449[/snapback]

Nope, the only LD's in existance are pressed LD's. I suppose it *might* have been possible to burn your own LD, but it would have been a logistical nightmare with the physical differences (CAV, CLV) involved, not to mention that nearly every LD had data on both sides of the disc.

I don't collect LDs but my dad does. He collected them when they were expensive and as they were getting phased out, he got stuff fer cheap, mostly from the LD rental stores clearing their stock.

The days of the LD were an interesting memory. Over here, only the well-off families would have a home theatre system what more an LD player. Family members from extended family would have a "movie-gathering" at the rich uncle's house and be awed by the home theatre system and the then crisp video. LDs were definately a luxury then that not many can afford. Now, almost every household has a DVD player and HTS.

Oh and btw, my rich uncle now has one of those RGB (Red Green Blue) projectors hooked up to an amazing sound system, and a comfy "theatre room" which has the aroma/stench of cigar smoke. Heard those projectors are worth a small car. >_<

Wow...I'm kind of in awe, especially reading Valkyrie's post. Sounds like LDs were da shiznit.

If they sold DVDs in big-assed flat boxes like LDs were sold in, with all the extras, I wouldn't miss LDs. Maybe someone should do that in Japan as a marketing gimmick.

Thanks for the info!

Edited by danth

A lot of Japanese DVDs come with cool extras.  It's just the size that prevent the nice art inserts and covers that LDs had (it's why I miss record albums, myself).  Other than packaging though, DVDs are pretty much all around better.

387878[/snapback]

I can't argue with that. LD was great for its time. It gave us chapters (no more rewinding!), a second audio track (one analog and one digital) which could be used for commentary tracks or english/japanese tracks, and optional subtitles were possible with closed captions. Not to mention video quality that blew away VHS and Betamax.

DVD just came in and took all LD's features to a new level. Now you've got unlimited audio and subtitle tracks, interactive menus, and all kinds of other useful features. The only limit is the capacity of the disc.

Oh, and an interesting bit of trivia: Did you know that LD video is actually analog? It's true!

I remember back in 1999 I worked in a company as a graduation project for school, I saw a couple of old stuff like their own company demo on LD.. there's no labeldesign on it and they've just used a black marker. Must have been expensive..

I guess it's made from 1989 or 1990. (European mustaches were hot :lol: )

Edited by Kin

A lot of Japanese DVDs come with cool extras.  It's just the size that prevent the nice art inserts and covers that LDs had (it's why I miss record albums, myself).  Other than packaging though, DVDs are pretty much all around better.

387878[/snapback]

Wow...I'm kind of in awe, especially reading Valkyrie's post. Sounds like LDs were da shiznit.

If they sold DVDs in big-assed flat boxes like LDs were sold in, with all the extras, I wouldn't miss LDs. Maybe someone should do that in Japan as a marketing gimmick.

Thanks for the info!

387795[/snapback]

Well, in Japan they've been doing the next best thing recently, and that's reissuing classic albums on CD but in the original large-size LP packaging. Plus you get all the bonus tracks of the deluxe CD releases. They've brought out quite a few out now including T.Rex's Electric Warrior, Derek and the Dominoes, Rolling Stones, even the Beastie Boys. I'm thinking of getting The Who's "Who's Next".

I don't see it happening with DVDs though. Still, you never know.

387878[/snapback]

Thanks for the info!

387795[/snapback]

Well, in Japan they've been doing the next best thing recently, and that's reissuing classic albums on CD but in the original large-size LP packaging. Plus you get all the bonus tracks of the deluxe CD releases. They've brought out quite a few out now including T.Rex's Electric Warrior, Derek and the Dominoes, Rolling Stones, even the Beastie Boys. I'm thinking of getting The Who's "Who's Next".

I don't see it happening with DVDs though. Still, you never know.

387978[/snapback]

Oooo!! Linkage please!

Well, in Japan they've been doing the next best thing recently, and that's reissuing classic albums on CD but in the original large-size LP packaging.  Plus you get all the bonus tracks of the deluxe CD releases.  They've brought out quite a few out now including T.Rex's Electric Warrior, Derek and the Dominoes, Rolling Stones, even the Beastie Boys.  I'm thinking of getting The Who's "Who's Next".

387978[/snapback]

Really? I might have to check this out. I'd really be interested in seeing what they've done with the Beastie Boys albums. They're like demi-gods over there.

Just like some movies on VHS and LD, there are some anime titles that have yet to see a DVD release.

For example, the original Mobile Suit Gundam TV series saw a LD release back in the late 1990s. Complete with the missing episode which was taken out of the US DVD release and intact with the originally recorded sound effects. It came in 2 huge box sets and was a limited pressing.

There is also the Gundam F91 Symphonic concert on LD, which was never released on DVD as far as I know.

For anime LDs, the first pressing editions always comes with nifty extras. Usually you get an insert of artwork featuring the show's characters. Sometimes you get bonus program content on the flip side like the UC Chronicles that came on Gundam 08th MS Team discs.

Most LD boxes also come with insane exclusive contents. Take the Evangelion movie box for example. It came with a see-thru version of the Eva-01 model kit by Bandai, a plush Eva-05, a glow-in-the-dark Rei capsule figure, and a host of other stuff I can't recall for now.

There is one big problem with LDs - laser rot. Because LDs are 2 discs glued together and laminated, during the manufacturing process air can get trapped inside and start a chemical reaction with the disc, causing it to oxidize and render the disc unfit for playback as time goes by. So unlike LPs, which will remain in good condition as long as you take good care of them, there's nothing you can do with LD's laser rot.

Still waiting for a link to those CDs mentioned above...

388422[/snapback]

Yeah me too!

I did find these though:

http://www.backstreets.com/Merchant2/merch...tegory_Code=001

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000A2H59...v=glance&n=5174

It seems this CD is not packaged in the large LP-sized sleeves but in a minature version. Plus they included minature versions of artwork and lyric sheets that came with the original LP release.

Google "mini-LP sleeve".

I'd still like to see what Renato was talking about. Unless this is what he meant.

I was checking the history of LDs on wikipedia... did you know LD technology existed since 1961 and the first public demonstration with the introduction of home players were back on 1978 in Atlanta... they were invented by a dude named David Paul Gregg, who worked for MCA, who owned the patent before being merged with Universal.

There are about 1 million players in home use in the US (compared to 85 million VCRs) and more than 4 million in Japan (10% of the households).

Some videophilies actually prefer LD over DVD because Laserdisc is actually an analog format. An advantage to the Laserdisc format over DVD is that video is not digitally-encoded and compressed, and therefore does not experience problems such as artifacting or color banding that can be caused by the MPEG-2 encoding process as video is prepared for DVD.

Early DVD demo discs often had compression or encoding problems, giving LD proponents fuel for the fire. However, "LD-perfection" is rarely achieved in practice. Only the absolute best LDs, few and far between, exhibit such superior quality in comparison to the newer DVDs, and even then it requires expensive equipment to realize the benefits.

Pretty cool read

Oh, and an interesting bit of trivia:  Did you know that LD video is actually analog?  It's true!

387927[/snapback]

I've heard that. I'd like to know how it's encoded on the disk. Varying depths of the pits or what?

Oh, and an interesting bit of trivia:  Did you know that LD video is actually analog?  It's true!

387927[/snapback]

I've heard that. I'd like to know how it's encoded on the disk. Varying depths of the pits or what?

388574[/snapback]

The pits and lands are created using frequency modulation of an analog signal, with the frequency carrier encoded using pulse-width modulation. Audio could be stored in either analog or digital format and in a variety of surround sound formats, including 6.1 channel Dolby Digital EX Surround.