Official Transformers Super Thread 3

Ah yes...the gestalt bug. I still kind of have it, since I've been trying to track down the last two members of TF Victory's Brestforce for about two years now. I was lucky as a kid in that I had a decent amount of the original combiners...my parents got me the Constructicon giftset, and I also had all the original Combaticons, Stunticons, Aerialbots, Technobots, and Terrorcons. When Takara reissued Predaking, though, I nearly soiled myself...never had a chance to get him when I was younger.

Since then, I picked up Predaking, one of the Micromaster combiners, and four of the Brestforce to try and complete LioKaiser.

Almost forgot to mention something about the KO gestalts. On a whim a couple of years ago, I picked up the Aerialbots KO at my local Walmart. I've NEVER seen a $&&*tier piece of plastic than those hunks of...something. Air Raid's swivel bolt that both connects and allows his wing to pivot isn't even't aligned in the plastic correctly.

That said, though, I did pick up TF Cybertron Primus yesterday, and I'm pleased as hell with him. :)

Almost forgot to mention something about the KO gestalts.  On a whim a couple of years ago, I picked up the Aerialbots KO at my local Walmart.  I've NEVER seen a $&&*tier piece of plastic than those hunks of...something.  Air Raid's swivel bolt that both connects and allows his wing to pivot isn't even't aligned in the plastic correctly. 

That said, though, I did pick up TF Cybertron Primus yesterday, and  I'm pleased as hell with him.  :)

413634[/snapback]

Hey dr reggae, how was primus? I've been considering getting him just to put him next to unicron. What's your info on the good and bad points of the toy?

BTW - Where is your Defensor ? You've gotta get him if you've got all the other combiners :D

I was lucky as a kid in that I had a decent amount of the original combiners...my parents got me the Constructicon giftset, and I also had all the original Combaticons, Stunticons, Aerialbots, Technobots, and Terrorcons.

Wow, you were lucky.

:)

I remember me and a few kids living on the same street each got different figures from each of the gestalt series and one time we came close, having 4 of the 5 for a complete robot!!

:lol:

So, of the different gestalt series, which stand out and a "great" set?

Thanks mate.

Ha ha ... tell me about it!

:p

That is exactly what happened to me.  I found 3 of the 5 technobots in mint shape at my parents' home recently, and decided to complete Computron.  Now, after reviewing several TF toy archive sites, I'm seriously thinking of getting another "gestalt" series.  I considered the KO versions, but based on comments, I will try getting some G1 versions first.

It seems like getting the entire series is cheaper than buying the individual figures.  Problem is getting them in decent/good shape without paying a fortune.

<_<

413589[/snapback]

I have an idea...

The Constructicons were scaled down and re-issued in the Generation 2 toyline.

It won't be quite as imposing as the REAL Devastator, but it'll likely be far cheaper than getting a complete vintage Devastator, and higher quality than the bootleg.

Has a rating actually been anounced for the transformers movie?

413419[/snapback]

Nah, but likely it will be PG-13 at most in the US.

There were a number of crazy people who jumped on the Transformers bandwagon (there have been alot since 2004) that demanded that Transformers will suck unless it was rated R18 with explicit human violence. And sex. YES, inappropriate sex in a movie based upon a toyline sold to kids. You know, because all the 'True Fans' are adults now who can handle seeing Spike have sex with his girlfriend.

Morons.

413590[/snapback]

Spike would NEVER have sex with his girlfriend!

We all KNOW he's gay for Bumblebee!

I have an idea...

It won't be quite as imposing as the REAL Devastator, but it'll likely be far cheaper than getting a complete vintage Devastator, and higher quality than the bootleg.

Thanks ... I did consider that. The G2 constructicons are the same size as the originals, only yellow in color and would still cost high prices off of eBay. I think it's the TF Universe series you are thinking of. But after reading some of the reviews for those gestalt minibots and seeing the pics ... well, they just don't compare. The classic G1 original gestalt teams are great - loved 'em as a kid, love 'em now.

Spike would NEVER have sex with his girlfriend!

We all KNOW he's gay for Bumblebee!

Hilarious.

:lol::lol::lol:

I have an idea...

Thanks ... I did consider that. The G2 constructicons are the same size as the originals, only yellow in color and would still cost high prices off of eBay.

Odd, 'cuz I was given a G1 Devastator gun and it's way too large for my G2 stuff.

Ah well.

As far as price... guess I wasn't the only one that thought of that.

Edited by JB0

Almost forgot to mention something about the KO gestalts.  On a whim a couple of years ago, I picked up the Aerialbots KO at my local Walmart.  I've NEVER seen a $&&*tier piece of plastic than those hunks of...something.  Air Raid's swivel bolt that both connects and allows his wing to pivot isn't even't aligned in the plastic correctly. 

That said, though, I did pick up TF Cybertron Primus yesterday, and  I'm pleased as hell with him.   :)

413634[/snapback]

Hey dr reggae, how was primus? I've been considering getting him just to put him next to unicron. What's your info on the good and bad points of the toy?

BTW - Where is your Defensor ? You've gotta get him if you've got all the other combiners :D

413659[/snapback]

Oh, I've got Defensor too...forgot to mention him. He's actually one of the more solid combiners, in that his limbs are pretty tight, and doesn't look too ungainly in gestalt mode. As individual toys, however, the Protectobots were always kind of so-so.

As for Primus...I have to say that he's sweet as hell. Awesome detail (he's even got Iacon and Kaon as cities on his planet exterior), good colors, and even the kibble on him doesn't detract from the overall look and feel of the figure/character. My two minor complaints about him so far are that I wouldn't mind having more flexibility with his arms (his elbows are kind of high up, and his shoulder armor doesn't allow full rotation), and that his fingers are hella long when extended. And I was lucky enough to get the version that came with Unicron's damaged head. My girlfriend was rolling her eyes at me all weekend.

Definitely worth your time and money to get, Eazy...you won't regret it.

I was lucky as a kid in that I had a decent amount of the original combiners...my parents got me the Constructicon giftset, and I also had all the original Combaticons, Stunticons, Aerialbots, Technobots, and Terrorcons.

Wow, you were lucky.

I remember me and a few kids living on the same street each got different figures from each of the gestalt series and one time we came close, having 4 of the 5 for a complete robot!!

:lol:

So, of the different gestalt series, which stand out and a "great" set?

Thanks mate.

413671[/snapback]

Hmmm...out of all the gestalts I have (Defensor, Superion, Computron, Devastator, Menasor, Bruticus, Predaking, and Abominus), the best three are the Technobots (Computron), the Protectobots (Defensor), and the Terrorcons (Abominus). All three are the most solidly playable in combined mode, in that their limbs are good and tight, and the figure itself actually feels integrated. They also look the best in terms of solidity and height--Computron and Abominus especially. If you're in the market for gestalts, I'd start with these three first.

Hmmm...out of all the gestalts I have (Defensor, Superion, Computron, Devastator, Menasor, Bruticus, Predaking, and Abominus), the best three are the Technobots (Computron), the Protectobots (Defensor), and the Terrorcons (Abominus).  All three are the most solidly playable in combined mode, in that their limbs are good and tight, and the figure itself actually feels integrated.  They also look the best in terms of solidity and height--Computron and Abominus especially.  If you're in the market for gestalts, I'd start with these three first.

413868[/snapback]

How are Bruticus and Menasor? Those two were always my favorite.

Menasor's kind of weak, I think. The connectors for the limbs really stick out on his arms...they look like a stork. His legs are a bit more solid, but it can be tough getting the connectors/heads (of Breakdown and Wildrider) out of Motormaster's legs.

Bruticus is a definite step up, but he's also kind of squat. Onslaught's arms have to be rotated backwards to held define the upper torso. This in itself would be ok, as it makes him look really powerfully stocky, but to form the legs, Onslaught's legs have to made bow-legged. He kind of looks like he has the rickets.

Thanks for the comments Doctor Reggae, appreciate it.

I just completed Computron and am looking at either Superion (I love jets) or Devestator (he's the original). I'd love to get the others as well ... but between budget and availability - it is tough.

Abominus - He doesn't look that great, plus his individual figures are monsters or something, right? I tend to lean more towards the technology (e.g., cars, planes) TF toys.

Edited by Vermillion21

Glad to be of help, Verm. Congrats on completing Computron too...pretty sweet, isn't he? You're correct about the Terrorcons/Abominus as well--they all turn into monsters.

If you're torn between Devastator and Superion, I'd probably go for Superion. He's a little more sturdy in gestalt mode, you get five cool jets (F-15, F-4, F-16, Harrier, and a Concorde), and will probably be less expensive. Since the Constructicons were the first, they usually tend to be pricier on the back market. If you're curious about other potential figures and want to see what they look like, check out my friend Ryan's website Seibertron (http://www.seibertron.com/toys/index.php)--those are his galleries of figures.

Also, if you like tech-based gestalts, I'd recommend you check out the Brestforce from TF: Victory. They're pretty expensive, but they all turn into vehicles and jets. Their gimmick was that they had an animal partner which would turn into their weapons and chestplates. There were six in all. More info about him here:

http://www.primesaber.com/TF/Victory/Liokaiser.html

Happy hunting...let us know how it goes...

All I need are Leozack and Hellbat, and I'll have them all.

Sad thing is, even if I found them now, I couldn't afford them. Sigh...

Thanks again for the info and link Doctor Reggae, mucho appreciated.

And yes, I am very happy with Computron/Technobots - they are sweet and look great! They are a complete set, minus the tech specs. A childhood dream come true.

:D

Well, I've been lurking around eBay and man, those "complete" gestalt sets go for a pretty penny! I just saw a complete open & used Devastator go for $170!! A Menasaur of the same quality went for approx $80. Wow. Guess the classic G1 TF's are popular and with the movie coming up ....

I think it's easier to get them individually, but again the quality of each toy varies and the cost can add up to much higher. Plus, you have to buy the "connector" parts separately - which many sellers overcharge.

<_<

Yep, I'm gonna try and complete Superion/Aerialbots next ....

Oh, and why the hell are all the G2 TF gestalt toys neon colour?!?! Talk about lame!

Thanks again for the info and link Doctor Reggae, mucho appreciated.

And yes, I am very happy with Computron/Technobots - they are sweet and look great!  They are a complete set, minus the tech specs.  A childhood dream come true.

:D

Well, I've been lurking around eBay and man, those "complete" gestalt sets go for a pretty penny!  I just saw a complete open & used Devastator go for $170!!  A Menasaur of the same quality went for approx $80.  Wow.  Guess the classic G1 TF's are popular and with the movie coming up ....

I think it's easier to get them individually, but again the quality of each toy varies and the cost can add up to much higher.  Plus, you have to buy the "connector" parts separately - which many sellers overcharge.

<_<

Yep, I'm gonna try and complete Superion/Aerialbots next ....

Oh, and why the hell are all the G2 TF gestalt toys neon colour?!?!  Talk about lame!

414246[/snapback]

Glad to help out. Those G2 gestalts were pretty fugly, weren't they?

Also, if you're curious, there was another team of Autobot combiners called the Trainbots, from the Japanese series Headmasters. They're REALLY pricey to get, but their gestalt, Raiden, is a good collector's item.

Once you're done with Superion, I'd recommend going for either the Protectobots/Defensor, or the Combaticons/Bruticus. If you can too, try checking out foreign release versions...I seem to recall the Spanish release versions of the Combaticons being at least somewhat decently priced.

That said, though, I did pick up TF Cybertron Primus yesterday, and  I'm pleased as hell with him.   :)

413634[/snapback]

413659[/snapback]

Oh, I've got Defensor too...forgot to mention him. He's actually one of the more solid combiners, in that his limbs are pretty tight, and doesn't look too ungainly in gestalt mode. As individual toys, however, the Protectobots were always kind of so-so.

As for Primus...I have to say that he's sweet as hell. Awesome detail (he's even got Iacon and Kaon as cities on his planet exterior), good colors, and even the kibble on him doesn't detract from the overall look and feel of the figure/character. My two minor complaints about him so far are that I wouldn't mind having more flexibility with his arms (his elbows are kind of high up, and his shoulder armor doesn't allow full rotation), and that his fingers are hella long when extended. And I was lucky enough to get the version that came with Unicron's damaged head. My girlfriend was rolling her eyes at me all weekend.

413867[/snapback]

Thanks for the info mate. Was the unicron head a limited version release or something? I still have'nt done much research in terms of where to purchase the figure or the variants....

413634[/snapback]

413659[/snapback]

413867[/snapback]

Thanks for the info mate. Was the unicron head a limited version release or something? I still have'nt done much research in terms of where to purchase the figure or the variants....

414334[/snapback]

Unicron head is the limited edition one.

If you can too, try checking out foreign release versions...I seem to recall the Spanish release versions of the Combaticons being at least somewhat decently priced.

Spanish release versions ... do you mean the ones with a gold coloured backing card? With spanish text? The few I've seen go for slightly less than the US versions. Ah well, guess I'll keep searching on eBay.

If you can too, try checking out foreign release versions...I seem to recall the Spanish release versions of the Combaticons being at least somewhat decently priced.

Spanish release versions ... do you mean the ones with a gold coloured backing card? With spanish text? The few I've seen go for slightly less than the US versions. Ah well, guess I'll keep searching on eBay.

414462[/snapback]

Those are the ones. Might want to check Big Bad Toy Store to see if Joel might have any in stock too.

Yesterday I managed, somehow, to snag a limited edition (or something like that) Galaxy Force Soundblaster. Think regular Galaxy Force Soundwave, but in black. Very cool looking.

Yesterday I managed, somehow, to snag a limited edition (or something like that) Galaxy Force Soundblaster.  Think regular Galaxy Force Soundwave, but in black.  Very cool looking.

414568[/snapback]

He's based on the old Soundblaster. Soundblaster in G1 was Soundwave coming back after he and Blaster killed each other(Blaster came back also but instead of red he was blue). Soundblaster in g1 could also hold 2 tapes in his chest rather than just 1.

Yesterday I managed, somehow, to snag a limited edition (or something like that) Galaxy Force Soundblaster.  Think regular Galaxy Force Soundwave, but in black.  Very cool looking.

414568[/snapback]

He's based on the old Soundblaster. Soundblaster in G1 was Soundwave coming back after he and Blaster killed each other(Blaster came back also but instead of red he was blue). Soundblaster in g1 could also hold 2 tapes in his chest rather than just 1.

414569[/snapback]

So someone DID realize that Blaster and Soundwave needed to have the Ultimate DJ Battle of Destiny?

Nah, it was probably fought with laser guns.

This is Broadcast and Soundwave's big battle. They had an old fashioned throwdown.

414592[/snapback]

Nice!

Thanks for the clip. I always wanted to see that battle in a clear transfer... and without the horrible english dubbing they put on the original bootlegs. <_<

414593[/snapback]

Hahaha.....they shot each other with their pea shooters that did almost no damage. Then proceeded with a brawl. Their cassete bots did nothing but stood in the background.

Rodimus: "Broado-casto!!!"

Galvatron: "Soundo-waver!!! RArrrghhh!"

LOLOLOLOLLO!!!

Classic dialogue for that battle, as I recall. :D

The Soundblaster and Twincast toys went for an insane amount on the collector's market too, until Takara reissued both of them. Twincast I can live without, but I'd love to have Soundblaster...I've got a fair amount of the cassettes, so why not?

That said, though, I'm trying to save up for new scuba equipment, and God knows my girlfriend rolls her eyes enough at my TF habit (her reaction when I got Primus was priceless). Probably no Soundblaster for a while for me.

This is Broadcast and Soundwave's big battle. They had an old fashioned throwdown.

414592[/snapback]

Nice!

Thanks for the clip. I always wanted to see that battle in a clear transfer... and without the horrible english dubbing they put on the original bootlegs. <_<

414593[/snapback]

Hahaha.....they shot each other with their pea shooters that did almost no damage. Then proceeded with a brawl. Their cassete bots did nothing but stood in the background.

LOLOLOLOLLO!!!

414630[/snapback]

Heh not the greatest of cartoon fights (nor the best drawn) but you gotta remember the nostalgia man! :lol:

Edited by Veritas

414592[/snapback]

Nice!

414593[/snapback]

LOLOLOLOLLO!!!

414630[/snapback]

Don't forget the opening line, where Soundwave sends Laserbeak out and shouts "ERECT!"

Hey Fit For Natalie,

Do you know if Takara has stopped all the toy BT series with BT-17 ... and now are only producting the BTA series?

And are the BTA action figures worth their price?

I have BT-01 to BT-10 ... and thinking about buying the remaining up to BT-17...or would it be better to stick with Alternators?

What do you guys think?

Hey Fit For Natalie,

Do you know if Takara has stopped all the toy BT series with BT-17 ... and now are only producting the BTA series?

And are the BTA action figures worth their price?

I have BT-01 to BT-10 ... and thinking about buying the remaining up to BT-17...or would it be better to stick with Alternators?

What do you guys think?

414796[/snapback]

BT-18 was supposed to be Rodimus but efforts are switched to BTA now.