The Mw Automotive Thread Ii

Well, for one thing, I hope the actual model does not have that Compact Flash slot, as CF is the digital equivalent of 8-track in comparison to SD and MemoryStick Pro Duo. Nissan should've at least put in a USB port for flash drives instead.

404821[/snapback]

Stop being an idiot, A7.

CF and SD are pretty much equivalent price wise. CF wins in terms of space, as the CF II microdrives are up to 8GB. SD tops out at 4GB, I think?

Sony's proprietary MemoryStick format is the lame duck. Barely used outside of Sony's own electronics, it's over priced and has considerably less space available than CF or SD.

I like the new G35, and never at any point was it speculated to come with a 3.7 liter. The new G35 from the newest press releases is said to use the VQ block with about 80% brand new components (i don't know if they're using more exotic materials, or if they're just going to change the actual build of the motors bore/stroke). I just can't wait to see what the new coupe is going to look like, and how the new sedan will hold up against the IS350.

Is it just me, or does it seem lke they're cramming waaaay too much stuff in cars these days? Since when does a computer nav system belong in a midsize car? People gripe about how much their vehicles are costing them, but they're not realizing all the stuff they're buying that goes with the car. My favorite manufacturer (Dodge, Chrysler, and before they got cut, Plymouth) is as much guilty of this as anybody. I'm also thankful that the Mustangs haven't started putting things like that in them.

P.S. that G"35" is a nice car though

I'm also thankful that the Mustangs haven't started putting things like that in them.

404998[/snapback]

Like they need stuff like GPS, etc. It's a good thing I didn't opt for the Interior Upgrade Package (IUP) when I got mine. The last thing I need is a trip computer that'll nag about my MPG.

In Europe and Japan there is no "Infiniti" it is all under the Nissan brand name, just like with Acura and Lexus' nonexistance in Europe/Japan. Most of the Japanese "Luxury brand" cars are still made just not under the same name. The G35 in Japan is considered a Skyline, but not a GT-R which is what many people get confused. Also i don't believe Skyline's can be purchased from the dealerships in Europe, but they can be imported for a very small fee and they are very popular in the UK. Whereas other cars like the Silvia (200SX in UK) were sold at dealerships but are currently discontinued.

In Europe and Japan there is no "Infiniti" it is all under the Nissan brand name, just like with Acura and Lexus' nonexistance in Europe/Japan.

405095[/snapback]

Actually, Lexus does exist in Europe and Japan. As a matter of fact, Toyota in Japan discontinued the Aristo, Altezza and Soarer names in place of their Lexus names (GS, IS and SC, respectively).

In Europe and Japan there is no "Infiniti" it is all under the Nissan brand name, just like with Acura and Lexus' nonexistance in Europe/Japan.

405095[/snapback]

Actually, Lexus does exist in Europe and Japan. As a matter of fact, Toyota in Japan discontinued the Aristo, Altezza and Soarer names in place of their Lexus names (GS, IS and SC, respectively).

405107[/snapback]

Yes, that's why I asked about Infiniti because I know Lexus is in Europe.

Acura's lineup is too small and stale to bring global recognition (realistically they only have the TL and RL, the NSX is more world renkown as a Honda, same with the RSX), they really need to develop more motors (V8 anyone?), and then start coming up with more than just leather and wood trim to distinguish their economy brand from their "luxury" brand.

Also a bit OT, but did anyone see the Qualifying for Monaco, and how Schumacher totally cheated? I guess it's poetic justice that Renault ended up winning anyway.

The NSX replacement will be wearing the Acura badge, and the RSX has been canned, so its replacement may not be a well known Honda.

Besides, Toyota is cancelling the well known Toyota names and replacing them with Lexus letters. Acura can do the same too.

Replacing H's with bent H's isn't the issue, it's the fact that Honda has no V8 to help lead its Luxury brand. Name any serious luxury brand on the market that doesn't have a V8 sedan to head their line up. Furthermore, Honda has two V6's built off the same platform, both of which are not class leading, and then a whole bunch of awesome Inline 4's, but there is no way anyone would take a luxury brand seriously with Inline 4 powerplants.

For the sake of future success in the luxury market, Honda needs to create a V8 with some serious engineering involved before they can even have a real presence in the luxury market. To put some perspective on it, even Hyundai has a 4.6liter V8 that they plan to put into motion in their future vehicles; Honda really needs to kick it in the ass, an H and bent H can only carry a company so far before people realize they're getting shafted.

V10 before V8?

I think the reason I never really thought about Honda's powerplants is because I don't really think I'll buy any of those luxobarges, but since Honda has to appeal to others who do, they do need large displacement engines. What's the biggest engine they have right now? A V6?

PS: Ok, my Integra is an RS, and so it doesn't come with air conditioning. It means suicide in this summer heat, so I want to scrounge for OEM AC parts from other Integras and install it in mine. Anyone knows where I can go to get a list of parts needed? Team-Integra isn't particularly helpful.

Edited by Stamen0083

The biggest motors they have are their C35 and J35 3.5liter V6's; the V10 is performance related, so definitely won't find its way into a run of the mill truck or SUV. They really need a well balanced V8 btwn 4 and 5 liters to really break into the Large Sedan/Truck Market.

What doesn't make sense to me, is that Honda is one of the number 1 engine suppliers in the world, and yet can't come up with a V8 for their RL (at which time they can start using the C35 for the TL, and use the 3.2 in the TSX) and a larger torque V8 for a full size truck. A well engineered V8 could really help Honda progress further outside of the cracker box economic genre of vehicles.

Edited by emajnthis

The biggest motors they have are their C35 and J35 3.5liter V6's; the V10 is performance related, so definitely won't find its way into a run of the mill truck or SUV.  They really need a well balanced V8 btwn 4 and 5 liters to really break into the Large Sedan/Truck Market.

What doesn't make sense to me, is that Honda is one of the number 1 engine suppliers in the world, and yet can't come up with a V8 for their RL (at which time they can start using the C35 for the TL, and use the 3.2 in the TSX) and a larger torque V8 for a full size truck.  A well engineered V8 could really help Honda progress further outside of the cracker box economic genre of vehicles.

405557[/snapback]

what about honda's IRL V8's?

The biggest motors they have are their C35 and J35 3.5liter V6's; the V10 is performance related, so definitely won't find its way into a run of the mill truck or SUV.  They really need a well balanced V8 btwn 4 and 5 liters to really break into the Large Sedan/Truck Market.

What doesn't make sense to me, is that Honda is one of the number 1 engine suppliers in the world, and yet can't come up with a V8 for their RL (at which time they can start using the C35 for the TL, and use the 3.2 in the TSX) and a larger torque V8 for a full size truck.  A well engineered V8 could really help Honda progress further outside of the cracker box economic genre of vehicles.

405557[/snapback]

what about honda's IRL V8's?

405567[/snapback]

small displacement/low, low end torque, also to be said with turbo/supercharging a V6= unreliable (unless you going with a diesel) you need at least 4.5-5 ltrs of displacement to get the lowend torque (larger bore with short stroke) I towed my boat with a f150 4.6 and hated it, but the truck drove pretty good while not under a heavy load

also Izuzu is coming out with a small displacement diesel for 1/2 ton trucks that boasts great fuel economy

Can't use the IRL V8, that's a purpose built 3.0liter V8 for Indy racing; that'd be like putting a Ferrari motor in your Honda. They're also built with parts that are meant to be replaced after each race, so really it's not economical which would put Honda's reputation at stake. The engineering involved in making an IRL V8 and a reliable sedan or truck V8 are completely different. Plus i don't think they make the V8's anymore, I thought Cosworth is doing that again.

Also to fix a previous error, the new RL motor is the J35, not the C35, i got them mixed up (J motor is 60 degrees, C is 90).

Edited by emajnthis

Dang, that's fu--ed up, man. Wouldn't wish that on anybody [well, just about]. That has got to be like, the most fu--ed up, sinking feeling; I mean, what do you say think to yourself if you're watching something like this? "Dude, yo' sh-t is about to be EN-GULFED!"

WTF were those firemen thinking?! That's it fellas--come at it from the end WITH the gas tank on it....

then again, I ain't a fireman, so WTF do I know?

looked a little too convenient to me; it was probably an insurance scam. If they had a fire extinguisher and didn't use it until the car was half way engulfed then obviously somethings wrong. If it is real they should have at least tried to smother the fire out, use dirt, or anything you can find, don't just stand their with your thumb up your A** with a camera.

Dang, that's fu--ed up, man.  Wouldn't wish that on anybody [well, just about].  That has got to be like, the most fu--ed up, sinking feeling; I mean, what do you say think to yourself if you're watching something like this?  "Dude, yo' sh-t is about to be EN-GULFED!"

405820[/snapback]

Well, I was just being sarcastic. Besides, they installed a turbo without a heat shield, so what were they thinking?

WTF were those firemen thinking?!  That's it fellas--come at it from the end WITH the gas tank on it....

then again, I ain't a fireman, so WTF do I know?

A few things that come in mind:

1. Some of the firemen probably noticed the guy with the camera and were wondering WTF he was doing all this time.

2. There might have been a malfunction on the hose.

3. Pretty much what emajnthis mentioned.

Well, I was just being sarcastic. Besides, they installed a turbo without a heat shield, so what were they thinking?

405874[/snapback]

( note to self: when I put the turbo on my 22R pickup, put a heatshield on the turbo...)

Oh, no; it's not what you said. I meant the event itself was what was fu--ed up. Although, no one seems to have been hurt, so I guess we can get a chuckle at their hard-learned lesson about proper precautions when augmenting HP on a vehicle. I do think it's a terrible thing to lose a project/car that you put a lot of effort and hard-earned money into, so I can feel some empathy for someone that happens to...

...'cept for rich people. I hate them, cause I can't count myself amongst their numbers. :p Such a thing wouldn't materially affect them anyways. So fu-- 'em.

...'cept for rich people.  I hate them, cause I can't count myself amongst their numbers.  :p  Such a thing wouldn't materially affect them anyways.  So fu-- 'em.

405915[/snapback]

Hey, dont be hatin on me just because I can buy $250,000.00 cars and wreck them at my convenience. Piiish! Im so cool B))

Lord K.

...'cept for rich people.  I hate them, cause I can't count myself amongst their numbers.  :p  Such a thing wouldn't materially affect them anyways.  So fu-- 'em.

405915[/snapback]

Hey, dont be hatin on me just because I can buy $250,000.00 cars and wreck them at my convenience. Piiish! Im so cool B))

Lord K.

406040[/snapback]

at some point all that bragging is gonna require pics, or else I'm gonna have to send you to MGREXX land. :rolleyes:

You know what, I'm in LA. Why dont you give me a tour of all the stuff you say you own... hell even half of what you say is fine, then I can confirm it with everyone else, then you can talk all you want.

...'cept for rich people.  I hate them, cause I can't count myself amongst their numbers.   :p   Such a thing wouldn't materially affect them anyways.  So fu-- 'em.

405915[/snapback]

Lord K.

406040[/snapback]

Stab your eyes! Rub it in, why don't ya? But now that you mention it--if you're gonna be wrecking, say, any Ferraris in the future....I suppose I could be convinced to give an unwanted "prancing horse" a good, loving home, even if it is beat up a bit. :p

Say, any other MW'ers going to be anywhere near the planned route of the '06 HOT ROD Power Tour? I know it'll be mostly muscle cars and older stuff, but there ought to be something in every vein for car nuts to come out and see. I'm looking forward to it's arrival near me. I'll be heading out later this morning in fact to join the caravan as it comes into Roanoke VA, later today. They'll be coming in from NC via the Blue Ridge P'way, which ought to make for some nice corner-carving; beautiful scenery up there. Ought to be a helluva show--I think they're anticipating somewhere near 1,000 cars or more in the overall procession.