The Mw Automotive Thread Ii

Say, any other MW'ers going to be anywhere near the planned route of the '06 HOT ROD Power Tour?  I know it'll be mostly muscle cars and older stuff, but there ought to be something in every vein for car nuts to come out and see.  I'm looking forward to it's arrival near me.  I'll be heading out later this morning in fact to join the caravan as it comes into Roanoke VA, later today.  They'll be coming in from NC via the Blue Ridge P'way, which ought to make for some nice corner-carving; beautiful scenery up there.  Ought to be a helluva show--I think they're anticipating somewhere near 1,000 cars or more in the overall procession.

406090[/snapback]

plenty of freinds going. I will once my S-10 is done, with the wife and kids in the f350/5th wheel following. I want to travel cross country with it and have the 5er with some toys (dirt bike & 4 wheelers) in it (for the kids of course) ;)

...'cept for rich people.  I hate them, cause I can't count myself amongst their numbers.   :p   Such a thing wouldn't materially affect them anyways.  So fu-- 'em.

405915[/snapback]

Hey, dont be hatin on me just because I can buy $250,000.00 cars and wreck them at my convenience. Piiish! Im so cool B))

Lord K.

406040[/snapback]

at some point all that bragging is gonna require pics, or else I'm gonna have to send you to MGREXX land. :rolleyes:

You know what, I'm in LA. Why dont you give me a tour of all the stuff you say you own... hell even half of what you say is fine, then I can confirm it with everyone else, then you can talk all you want.

406041[/snapback]

yeah, cause even the average millionaire (more commonn then you think) cant do that, with the cost of insurance, maint, getting your licence revoked, ect

IE my cousin (well beyond millionaire) with the 512. He wouldnt dream of wrecking it and if he did I think it would take years to get over it,,,,crazy Italians. Ill take pictures of it this family reunion,,,,,,,maybe he'll let me drive it :rolleyes:

...'cept for rich people.  I hate them, cause I can't count myself amongst their numbers.   :p   Such a thing wouldn't materially affect them anyways.  So fu-- 'em.

405915[/snapback]

Hey, dont be hatin on me just because I can buy $250,000.00 cars and wreck them at my convenience. Piiish! Im so cool B))

Lord K.

406040[/snapback]

Stab your eyes! Rub it in, why don't ya? But now that you mention it--if you're gonna be wrecking, say, any Ferraris in the future....I suppose I could be convinced to give an unwanted "prancing horse" a good, loving home, even if it is beat up a bit. :p

Say, any other MW'ers going to be anywhere near the planned route of the '06 HOT ROD Power Tour? I know it'll be mostly muscle cars and older stuff, but there ought to be something in every vein for car nuts to come out and see. I'm looking forward to it's arrival near me. I'll be heading out later this morning in fact to join the caravan as it comes into Roanoke VA, later today. They'll be coming in from NC via the Blue Ridge P'way, which ought to make for some nice corner-carving; beautiful scenery up there. Ought to be a helluva show--I think they're anticipating somewhere near 1,000 cars or more in the overall procession.

406090[/snapback]

where's it ending at this year?

Sat. June 3 - Orlando, FL, Orange County Convention Center

Sun. June 4 - Gainesville, FL, Gainesville Raceway

Mon. June 5 - Perry, GA, Georgia National Fairgrounds

Tue. June 6 - Columbia, SC, Colonial Center

Wed. June 7 - Roanoke Valley (Salem), VA, Salem Civic Center

Thur. June 8 - Harrisburg, PA, Farm Show Complex

Fri. June 9 - Englishtown, NJ, Old Bridge Township Raceway Park

Sat. June 10 - Englishtown, NJ, Old Bridge Township Raceway Park (Long Haulers Photo, Ceremony and Awards only)

Here's the list of scheduled stops. Man, what a day! Cars were still filing in as late as 8pm. I walked around til my legs ached, and still didn't see all the cars. So many gorgeous cars, of every vintage and type! Only saw one or two imports/tuners though. Dammit, I wish I'd had a camera! :(

yeah, cause even the average millionaire (more commonn then you think) cant do that, with the cost of insurance, maint, getting your licence revoked, ect

IE my cousin (well beyond millionaire) with the 512. He wouldnt dream of wrecking it and if he did I think it would take years to get over it,,,,crazy Italians. Ill take pictures of it this family reunion,,,,,,,maybe he'll let me drive it :rolleyes:

406132[/snapback]

Well, if your a millionaire many times over, you could wreck cars all day, but you would really have to be a stupidass to do that. And most people do not become wealthy by being stupidasses.

Actually, Im not careless at all with any of my vehicles, no matter how cheap they are. I would rather donate the money to a charity,science, or a good cause instead of wrecking cars. Im not really that much of a pompous ass.

OH yeah, and reddsun, maybe if you moved out of Appalachia you might find a better paying job. LOL!

Ice Ice baby.....

Lord K.

OH yeah, and reddsun, maybe if you moved out of Appalachia you might find a better paying job. LOL!

406507[/snapback]

Reddsun is as wealthy as you are, the difference is he doesn't lie about it on the internet.

406589[/snapback]

I agree with you there Yellowlightman. True wealth isn't always who has the most money.

Lord K.

Yes, I'll be the first to admit that in my life, I've been blessed well beyond what I may deserve.

But to quote one of my favorite movies....

"I've already got a guilty conscience. May as well have some o' the money, too."

Edited by reddsun1

But enough of that rhetorical crap. Here's a nice vid showing how far racing's come in the last 25+ years. One lap of Bathurst showing speed comparisons. Me, I'm partial to the old A9X meself.

Pretty impressive performance from the roadgoing Commodore SS though. Funny: and GM and Ford here in the US still would have us think it's too "impractical" to produce hi-perf V8 RWD sedans. They need to take some pointers...

But enough of that rhetorical crap.  Here's a nice vid showing how far racing's come in the last 25+ years.  One lap of Bathurst showing speed comparisons.  Me, I'm partial to the old A9X meself. 

Pretty impressive performance from the roadgoing Commodore SS though.  Funny: and GM and Ford here in the US still would have us think it's too "impractical" to produce hi-perf V8 RWD sedans.  They need to take some pointers...

406634[/snapback]

To be fair to zee Americans, they rely heavily on their "luxury" counterparts to fulfill the V8 RWD sedan field (GM:Cadillac STS-V CTS-V, Ford:Jaguar SType R XJR). Not only are they V8 RWD, but the V and R for their respective companies are supercharged (or large displacement) and pull 0-60 in under 5 seconds.

Edited by emajnthis

True, true. But the Caddy and Jag are both much higher in the hierarchy [and price scale] of the market; as opposed to the Commodore and Falcon, which have much more "accessible" origins in their markets, respectively. The Falcon has often been likened to a "four door Mustang."

Pretty impressive performance from the roadgoing Commodore SS though.  Funny: and GM and Ford here in the US still would have us think it's too "impractical" to produce hi-perf V8 RWD sedans.  They need to take some pointers...

406634[/snapback]

The Austrailian divisions of Ford and Gm are really, really depressing. Depressing in the sense that they show just how lame the American car companies ar nowadays here in the U.S. Despite improving quality and reliability, our American cars are still woefully uncool compared to the stuff Austrailia gets.

(Not counting the Z06.)

I saw a Z06 in person for the first time yesterday. You know how some car designs can just evoke a persona about them? It's hard to put into words, but there is definitely something about those that truly sets them apart from "average" Corvettes. The only word that came to mind when I looked at it, really studied it as I stood there by it was: wicked. There is something truly sinister about the Z06, compared to the other Corvettes. When you look at it, it's like the damn thing looks right back at you.....and it's got this evil don't-fu__-with-me scowl. :blink:

I saw a Z06 in person for the first time yesterday.  You know how some car designs can just evoke a persona about them?  It's hard to put into words, but there is definitely something about those that truly sets them apart from "average" Corvettes.  The only word that came to mind when I looked at it, really studied it as I stood there by it was: wicked.  There is something truly sinister about the Z06, compared to the other Corvettes.  When you look at it, it's like the damn thing looks right back at you.....and it's got this evil don't-fu__-with-me scowl.  :blink:

406801[/snapback]

the new Viper GTS is the same way in person

I saw a Z06 in person for the first time yesterday.  You know how some car designs can just evoke a persona about them?  It's hard to put into words, but there is definitely something about those that truly sets them apart from "average" Corvettes.  The only word that came to mind when I looked at it, really studied it as I stood there by it was: wicked.  There is something truly sinister about the Z06, compared to the other Corvettes.  When you look at it, it's like the damn thing looks right back at you.....and it's got this evil don't-fu__-with-me scowl.  :blink:

406801[/snapback]

The C6 Z06 is by far one of the coolest cars available today. The performance to price ratio is incredible and proves that American cars can actually kickass if developed properly.

My local Chevy dealership just got a yellow one in and is in front on display. Almost makes me wish I still worked there so I could go take it for a spin. :(

Found some more pics that people are posting online from the PowerTour. Just scratches the surface, really.

P1010027a.jpg

This vette was pretty sweet--actually a re-skinned C5

P1010043a.jpg

This stretch job has a small block V8 stuffed in it [Windsor?]

P1010055.jpg

Studebaker was cool, replete w/detailing via black magic marker :p

A few more, albeit in a more screen friendly format. It was pretty cool, seeing so many cars from TV and magazine covers "in the flesh" so to speak [or would it be in the paint?]. Got my Summit catalog w/that gray Impala on the cover. Pics don't do it justice. Thing's got a claimed 1,600HP, and when he started that sumbi--h up, it was un-Godly loud.

post-1488-1150044558_thumb.jpg

post-1488-1150044571_thumb.jpg

post-1488-1150044618_thumb.jpg

Edited by reddsun1

And a few more. Lots of cool specialty cars like the Foose Camaro, Foose Mustang, a lot of the YearOne cars, the HOT ROD crate-Camaro, etc. etc. The second Cuda was in-sane. Had a Viper motor, sweet custom interior w/cage, and lots more [scissor doors were a bit tacky though; that trend's been overdone]. The guy could also position the hood horizontally and raise it about 8" so you could see into the engine bay as it drove by. Lots and lots of $$ put into that car, to be sure.

post-1488-1150044722_thumb.jpg

post-1488-1150044741_thumb.jpg

post-1488-1150044759_thumb.jpg

post-1488-1150044773_thumb.jpg

ah, that 55 is my favorite car, too bad its a post and not a HT,

Also thiers a company out thier thats taking donor C5's and C6's and putting 50's body kits on them (ones a 50 year ann.)

ah, that 55 is my favorite car, too bad its a post and not a HT,

Also thiers a company out thier thats taking donor C5's and C6's and putting 50's body kits on them (ones a 50 year ann.)

407260[/snapback]

Attended an old school car show last month in Kelowna, BC:

http://66.183.190.188:8080/civic77/tech.php?article=26

And another one a few weeks ago in Vancouver BC

http://66.183.190.188:8080/civic77/tech.php?article=28

Here are a couple of pics:

lg_DSC00207.JPG

lg_DSC00681.JPG

lg_DSC00804.JPG

lg_DSC00807.JPG

lg_DSC00840.JPG

lg_DSC00860430May242006.jpg

Edited by peter

Yeah, thanks for the pictures, Reddsun. That picture of the Charger killed any ideas of mine to buy new-style wheels for my Charger; they just don't work on yesterday's bodies...

I don't like wheels getting too big on old cars either. That car was built up on an ep of Rides for singer Kenny Wayne Sheppard, IIRC. Didn't see him personally, but I think he actually drove in on the tour. Minilites look good on those little Hondas.

Didn't think I'd find any pics online, but got lucky. This one gets an A+ for "originality of concept." Has to be a one-of-a-kind--I've never seen anything like it before. Definitely "deep-fried Southern" piece of Americana. Mean little mutha--basically an old skool dirt track modified, done up for the street. Was driven by an older fella, and his wife, both in their 60's.

post-1488-1150220178_thumb.jpg

Myk, those crager ss's have been around longer then 1969,,

I love those old school datsuns (with a smallblock chevy of course)

407557[/snapback]

great minds think alike :lol: I had the opportunity to purchase an old Datsun Z, even had my parts list ready, but the deal fell through. I would have loved to stuff an all aluminum 350 in it.

I wasn't talking about the black Charger, but the "new" style Dukes of Hazzard clone-that car has modern style wheels. I considered Cragars for mine, but in my opinion they're too common on muscle cars...

407557[/snapback]

great minds think alike :lol: I had the opportunity to purchase an old Datsun Z, even had my parts list ready, but the deal fell through. I would have loved to stuff an all aluminum 350 in it.

407593[/snapback]

I had a friend in high school who got $100k when he turned 18 from an accident settlement.

He went out and bought a gorgeous Z. Had a Mustang V8 in it (don't remember if it was teh 4.6 or 5.0), metallic orange with white racing stripes. The car was amazing. He got pulled over by cops a lot and most of the time it was just so they could take a look at it.

But he was 18 and stupid and 3 months later he was driving out on some country roads, got his tires in some gravel and plowed into a tree. :(

Yeah, I think the Cragar's look pretty good too. They're one of those "timeless" designs that looks pretty good on a variety of car makes and models, and they look pretty good in "plus" size pkgs, like 16" and 17" dia. And on a lot of cars they look pretty much just as good nowadays as they did 20 years ago, unlike a lot of "fad" designs that look pretty cheesy in just a couple of years. I mean really; about 5 years from now, you know a lot of people are going to look at their ___ with the 20" "Sprewell" spinners and wonder "WTF was I thinking putting that s--t on my car?"

I found some pics of a couple of cars I saw in Salem that made me go "WTF?" Apparently, some guys making replica parts for Superbirds/Daytonas got together and started making parts for 1971 model cars, kinda like a "what if?" Dodge & Plymouth had continued production. It could be argued that it's a good thing the factories did pull the plug; they're definitely, er, odd looking. Here's the 71' "Dayclona"

post-1488-1150241635_thumb.jpg

post-1488-1150241653_thumb.jpg

post-1488-1150241667_thumb.jpg

And here's the '71 "Superbird." I must say, I'd be damned afraid to take that thing up anywhere near triple digit speeds. I'm no aerodynamicist by any means, but that fuggin thing just looks scary---it's shaped like a damned boat hull! I suppose an alternate perspective would be to interpret it as having the shape of the leading edge of a wing, only upside down. But unless they went to the trouble of putting a flat undertray on the entire bottom of the car, what good would that do? But that point's made moot, as the greenhouse would alter the airflow over the top of the car anyway. I'd suspect that nose is gonna try to raise something fierce once the air really gets moving at/around it. The prices these guys want for "complete conversion kits" is absolutely laughable...

post-1488-1150242098_thumb.jpg

post-1488-1150242112_thumb.jpg

post-1488-1150242125_thumb.jpg

post-1488-1150242157_thumb.jpg

Edited by reddsun1

And here's the '71 "Superbird."  I must say, I'd be damned afraid to take that thing up anywhere near triple digit speeds.  I'm no aerodynamicist by any means, but that fuggin thing just looks scary---it's shaped like a damned boat hull!  I suppose an alternate perspective would be to interpret it as having the shape of the leading edge of a wing, only upside down.  But unless they went to the trouble of putting a flat undertray on the entire bottom of the car, what good would that do?  But that point's made moot, as the greenhouse would alter the airflow over the top of the car anyway.  I'd suspect that nose is gonna try to raise something fierce once the air really gets moving at/around it.    The prices these guys want for "complete conversion kits" is absolutely laughable...

407646[/snapback]

the prices may be laughable, but they have the market cornered on the G-series kits. They found the prototype pics of what a '71 Daytona and Superbird would've looked like, and fabricated the parts to match. They did their homework, and those are exactly what a '71 Superbird and Daytona would've looked like had NASCAR not pulled the plug on the wing cars. If they had allowed the "Aerowars" to continue, who knows what would be out racing at Daytona now?

Yeah, I saw statements that alluded to the "factory" origins on their w/site. To the credit of Ford, at least they appeared to put more research/effort into their aero work on the stillborn King Cobra and Super Spoiler II, as opposed to the "tacked-on" appearance of the '71 Road Runner's pieces. Seems like the lower fenders ahead of the wheelwells and the "chin" area could've benefitted from more development on the RR.

king_cobra_orange1.jpg

paul_grala_ssII.jpg

king_cobra_YELLOW.jpg

Although, I keep thinking "Datsun Z" when I look at the King Cobra pics of the nose with headlights exposed. Unintentional resemblence, I'm sure, but still there. I actually like the Mercury better. Looks like it's been lowered 2"-3". Perfect stance in that pic.

Edited by reddsun1