The Mw Automotive Thread Ii

The recommendation was actually to use foaming tire cleaner on the engine, as it seems to have some degreaser in it and is of course safe for rubber hoses.

And yes, it's my mod-duty to request people try not to quote images, or we're going to see LOTS of cars appear over and over again as people guess what they are. Try to reference either by post number or who posted it or something.

Edited by David Hingtgen

The recommendation was actually to use foaming tire cleaner on the engine, as it seems to have some degreaser in it and is of course safe for rubber hoses.

403938[/snapback]

I've never heard that before. In that case, use Meguiar's Hot Shine Tire Foam. I don't recommend Armor All or STP Son of a Gun! tire foam, as they contain silicones that may be harmful to metal surfaces.

One of my old methods of detailing the engine bay was using a tire shine (not foam-based) after washing/degreasing. Nowadays, I use Meguiar's NXT Generation Tech Protect on the black plastic and rubber surfaces.

Well, with how much plastic etc is in new cars, and how many products still expect to find a 1950's pure iron engine bay, it's a valid issue.

Also, so many things will screw up something else. It's why I don't put ANYTHING on my tires nor dash.

Also, so many things will screw up something else.  It's why I don't put ANYTHING on my tires nor dash.

404108[/snapback]

Aren't you worried about your dash or tires fading in color? You should at least try a protectant like 303 Aerospace. It's not glossy like Armor All and is safe on all plastic, vinyl and rubber surfaces.

My car's garaged, and I intend to keep it that way. Seriously, you can't tell my dash from a factory-fresh one. My lack of "additives" is not due to lack of care, it's flat-out what I want.

Tire dressing: they all fling off onto the paint, and wouldn't last 2 days here anyways. Rain+bugs=frequent washing. Plus my current tires just plain aren't all that "pure black" to start with. (every brand and model is different)

Dash stuff: it all adds shine, and smells. I really, really, really, really hate any and all sorts of smells in my car. My car had "new car smell" for some 3 years due to how stringent I am about not allowing smells in my car, and even at the 4/5 year mark it'd occasionally get a comment from someone. My dash is currently dusty, and has NEVER had anything on it--and I still find THAT too reflective. I want something like Testors Dullcote... Half my criteria for car cleaning products is how they smell, I won't let a lot of them touch my car based on how they smell alone.

My "nothing on the dash" actually comes from what my Mom did on her last car. It was garaged for the first couple years, but spent the last few outside. She never had anything put on the dash for the same reasons I do, and it was one of the few parts of the car that was still perfect by the time she got rid of it.

There's way too many products that are almost "addictive" to the dash--use them once, then you have to keep using them or it'll start cracking. I think basic ArmorAll is the worst of them for that.

Edited by David Hingtgen

unfortunately the general populace does not have a garage to park in (me included) so dash cleansing is needed on at least a monthly basis, and there are cleansers that don't "smell". I've never been one to clean my tires, but new car smell can last as long as you feel like; i still have my best friend (who works at a Nissan dealer) spray the "new car scent" in my vehicle every time he details it.

But that's FAKE new car smell. My point was that I had authentic new car smell for years, due to the amount of care and cleanliness.

Also, if there's a dash spray that smells as weakly as say, pure water, please let me know.

But that's FAKE new car smell.  My point was that I had authentic new car smell for years, due to the amount of care and cleanliness.     

Also, if there's a dash spray that smells as weakly as say, pure water, please let me know.

404386[/snapback]

IIRC, 303 Aerospace Protectant is unscented. Give it a try.

Me, I love Meguiar's NXT Generation products. I love the smell of Key Lime Pie whenever I wax my car or shine the dashboard. :lol::lol:

Unscented as in nothing added, or unscented as in you just plain can't smell anything? Unscented chemicals still smell "chemically" if you know what I mean. (Certain smells really bug me, and they're often in cleaners/sealers etc) I don't use "allergy-free" stuff or anything, it's just some brands of certain things really get to me for some reason.

I'm also intrigued by the NXT stuff, see lots of positive reviews for much of the whole line. Though most products are sealed, don't know how they smell until after you buy it.

Edited by David Hingtgen

I'm also intrigued by the NXT stuff, see lots of positive reviews for much of the whole line.

404421[/snapback]

Meguiar's is awesome. Here are some sample pics of my Mustang after two coats of NXT Tech Wax:

a7mustang69.jpg

a7mustang70.jpg

a7mustang71.jpg

a7mustang68.jpg

And here's the interior treated with NXT Tech Protect (plus Gold Class Rich Leather Wipes on the steering wheel):

a7mustang62.jpg

a7mustang63.jpg

a7mustang64.jpg

And the tires treated with Gold Class Endurance High Gloss Tire Gel:

a7mustang58.jpg

a7mustang60.jpg

a7mustang61.jpg

Edited by areaseven

Less car-care talk, more car-everythingelse talk please.

Here's a question: Anyone here have experiance driving particularly old (50s and pre-war vintage) automobiles? I am starting to get into some of these cars, but it's all books and video so far. I'm interested in what the experiance is like.

Unscented as in nothing added, or unscented as in you just plain can't smell anything?  Unscented chemicals still smell "chemically" if you know what I mean. 

Jeez, Dave. Remind me never to detail your car or build a computer or video game console with noisy fans in it for you... :p

Less car-care talk, more car-everythingelse talk please.

404430[/snapback]

Yeah, good point. Let's get back to talking about cars.

Anyway, did anyone catch the season finale of Pinks last night? That late crash was unbelievable.

Edited by areaseven

by the way areaseven is that really your car? if so that is one nice ride i envy you.

chris :)

Yeah, good point. yellowlightman's starting to become a cockfag troll with his inane one-liner jokes, and we don't want that around here.

404580[/snapback]

Hit a nerve, did I? Well, I'm sorry but two pages talking about car cleaning products is LAME and completely unecessary. If you want to be OCD about your car that's your perogative, but discussion about such things makes about as much sense as a "What's your favorite dish detergent?" poll.

Anyways, can anyone guess what this car is?

post-22-1149202247_thumb.jpg

Could be related to the whole "VW doesn't want war toys" thing. Though IMHO Bumblebee simply isn't "cool" enough to warrant a Camaro.

PS---so what IS this thread supposed to be about? There's sites far larger and more active than MW dedicated soley to car polish and wax... (And they are so engrossed about it I can't even wade through to find out any info---it'd be like a total newbie Robotechie here trying to understand a M0 bird-human discussion on their first day)

So it's not the G37 anymore? The front end looks a whole lot better now.

My dash has a fairly ugly Dashmat thing covering it, so even though it's not garaged, the dash is still brand spanking new. I need a new Dashmat to complement the interior though.

Personally, I don't want any smells in my car either, including new car smell. I find that smell to be sickening and overwhelming. Luckily (?), I've never owned a brand new car.

Well, for one thing, I hope the actual model does not have that Compact Flash slot, as CF is the digital equivalent of 8-track in comparison to SD and MemoryStick Pro Duo. Nissan should've at least put in a USB port for flash drives instead.