Vf Zero, And, The Other One

GutsAndCasca

Okay in Macross Zero the main character pilots that blue valkyrie, that in my opinion looks better than the VF Zero. Unfortunately I don't know the name of that blue valk. What I DO want to know is - is Yamato going to release a toy of that one?

The main character 'Shin Kudo' pilots an F-14 at the start of Macross Zero. His first variable fighter is a two-seater VF-0D. When the VF-0D is destroyed, he later gets to fly a VF-0A with Ghost Booster attached.

As to whether Yamato will make a 1/60 scale transforming VF-0D toy, that's still unconfirmed at this time. I guess it will probably depend on how well the VF-0S sells.

Graham

Comparing line-art, the FAR cooler VF-0D would need new wings, v.stabs, and canards---which based on their position and transformation should all be easy to add.

The problem is it'd need a new forward fuselage/nose. That's the only real problem, that could affect transformation, especially heatshield issues. The VF-0D's front cockpit is forward of the VF-0A/S--it doesn't simply have a longer canopy aft like the 2-seater versions of most planes, the canopy is extended in BOTH directions. The VF-0S seat would actually be positioned between the front and rear seats of a VF-0D.

The thing that helps though---Shin is the star of the show, and it is his main valk in the series. It's not some "minor" valk we see in the background.

Edited by David Hingtgen

The thing that helps though---Shin is the star of the show, and it is his main valk in the series.  It's not some "minor" valk we see in the background.

383624[/snapback]

The problem is (along with all the toy issues you mentioned), the VF-0A is SOOOO much easier to make, and it's Shin's valk in the finale. Then Yamato can milk us for ghost boosters, which are just cheap plasitc add-ons. Honestly, I wished they made the 0A first, as the color scheme makes the fighter mode more sleek and cohesive compared to the standard Roy colors. I guess Yamato didn't want to gamble with anything other than the 0S for the first toy of a new series.

Most likely order of production [if sales are good enough to warrant]?

1. VF-0S

2. VF-0A

3. VF-0 GPB armor

*maybe* 4. VF-0D

After watching MZero, it begs the question: if Roy's GPB armor was tough enough to deflect all those rounds from DD's cannon [rounds were bouncing off his shield too], why didn't they just make the whole damned plane out of GPB armor? :p Sort of like that old running airlines "black box" joke...

I'm guessing that maybe it would be too damned expensive to use those materials, or maybe they were too heavy, or maybe they weren't fit for use on aircraft, or maybe maybe maybe... :p

I am guessing they used similar material for the shields of the later valkyries like the VF-11 and the 19 series.

I would like to see a comparison of the 1/60 VF-0 pilot with a 1/48 VF-1 low vis pilot.

After watching MZero, it begs the question: if Roy's GPB armor was tough enough to deflect all those rounds from DD's cannon [rounds were bouncing off his shield too], why didn't they just make the whole damned plane out of GPB armor?  :p  Sort of like that old running airlines "black box" joke...

383999[/snapback]

The GBP armor that Roy's 0S was equipped with wasn't really strong plate armor, it was reactive armor. The rounds weren't bouncing off, the armor plates were detonating to cancel the impact energy of DD's cannon. Once reactive armor is used up, it's essentially dead weight, so building an entire VF out of reactive armor is somewhat ridiculous.

I'm still having a bit of trouble working out some of the "what-goes-where" between modes on the SV-51. It looks like a LOT of stuff has to do some serious stretching/contorting to accomodate TF'ing from Battroid to Fighter; seems similar to the VF-19 though. Not as easy to picture as with the VF-0. But hey, I'm biased--I just like the VF better anyway...

The more I see the VF-0D in fighter mode the more I love the design. But in Battroid mode it ain't so different compared to the S and A: Folded wing things in the hips and knees, bigger heatshield cover and the wings are the new things when you look at it up close. A pain I'm sure for Yamato to redesign but aesthetically not so noticeable.

If the line doesn’t do well and they just make a VF-0A with the D’s head (did Shin’s 0A have that head?) and the same scheme it wouldn’t be so bad. One can always get the Hasegawa VF-0D fighter or one of the resin kit makers could do some of their magic on the 1/60…

Edited by Twoducks