New South Park

*Virtual moderators please forgive me for not running a detailed search on the entire internet first, a thousand pardons for posting a new topic on the subject. May the Froating Head strike me down for my insolence.

Okay, I'm a big South Park fan.

I have enjoyed the series since it started. I went to the theater to see the movie.

Are there any other fans on this board?

Who watched last nights episode?

I thought that was great. Way to strike at Scientology and at the same time deal with Hayes's departure. The Eulogy for Chef was spot on: while we may disagree with Chef's decisions the past few days, let us remember Chef for the laughs and good stuff, and just blame the fruity club that brainwashed him.

The end was WTF?! Wonder what they'll do with that little twist.

Oh my God! They killed Chef! You Bastards!!!

1001: "The Return of Chef" - Three months after leaving South Park to join the Super Adventure Club, Chef returns to town. However, the kids are seriously concerned when he starts talking about making love to children. In hopes of finding an answer to this problem, the kids go to the Super Adventure Club's headquarters, where they find out that it's run by a group of pedophiles.

Edited by areaseven

*Virtual moderators please forgive me for not running a detailed search on the entire internet first, a thousand pardons for posting a new topic on the subject. May the Froating Head strike me down for my insolence.

383297[/snapback]

Don't worry about it - I was about to start a new thread after people spammed the hell out of the original thread.

Last night on South Park:

1002: "Smug Alert" - Feeling left out for owning a hybrid car, Gerald moves his entire family to San Francisco. In an attempt to get Kyle to come back, Stan records a song that encourages everyone in South Park to drive hybrids. But once they do so, Stan unknowingly causes the entire town to be engulfed in an environmental threat much worse than smog.

What a rather lame episode. Yes, South Park has become too political over the years, but at least the episodes were funny and straight to the point. This one, however, was pretty pointless and just not funny. From San Franciscans sniffing their own farts to the threat of "George Clooney's Oscar Acceptance Speech" Smug, this episode not only falls short of all expectations, it just falls flat within the first five minutes.

And once again, for unknown reasons, Kenny is not in this episode. Instead, Butters fills in for Kenny and becomes Cartman's "surrogate Jew" with Kyle out of town. For one thing, I hope this is the only bad episode we'll see for the rest of the season.

Earlier tonight on South Park:

1003: "Cartoon Wars" - The town is on a state of emergency when FOX announces they will air a special episode of Family Guy with a cartoon of Mohammed in it. As everyone in South Park prepares to bury their heads in sand, Kyle and Cartman race to L.A. to stop FOX from airing the next episode of Family Guy. But all hell breaks loose when Kyle discovers Cartman's true motive.

After a disappointing episode last week, South Park has rebounded with yet another political satire. Not only do Matt and Trey poke fun at the Mohammed caricature debacle, they rib at FOX's #2 animated show.

What's more interesting is that this is actually a two-parter. I can't wait to see what they'll do on next week's episode.

I didnt find the episode really funny. Yea they bash Family Guy for sticking interchangeable jokes in the same story every week, but the fact of the matter is, FG is funnier. I don't think FG fans needed Matt and Trey to enlighten us to the FG formula; I just felt like they took the opportunity to make some jokes at the expense of the Muslims cartoons and FG, and the results were wishy washy. I guess I always felt that way about SP; they set an agenda with their stories but then it turns into "This is what is stupid" without funny results. It just seems to be a platform for satirical opinions, more than a comedy show, to me. But maybe that's the poiint. Guess I'll go back to being a idiot, watching Quagmire make penis jokes....that wacky Quagmire! *slaps knee*

Edited by Sarensaas

I didnt find the episode really funny. Yea they bash Family Guy for sticking interchangeable jokes in the same story every week, but the fact of the matter is, FG is funnier. I don't think FG fans needed Matt and Trey to enlighten us to the FG formula; I just felt like they took the opportunity to make some jokes at the expense of the Muslims cartoons and FG, and the results were wishy washy. I guess I always felt that way about SP; they set an agenda with their stories but then it turns into "This is what is stupid" without funny results. It just seems to be a platform for satirical opinions, more than a comedy show, to me. But maybe that's the poiint. Guess I'll go back to being a idiot, watching Quagmire make penis jokes....that  wacky Quagmire! *slaps knee*

388296[/snapback]

I wouldn't say Family guy is funnier, it's just different type of humor that appeals to you more. :D

It's pretty cool they even animated the Family Guy cast, I wonder if that's legal? In either case I think South Park humor is still pretty fresh after 10 years, and it even got a Peabody. I'm pretty psyched about the next episode, I wonder what would happen if they really did show the Prophet Mohammed? :o The show is so unpredictable you can never tell with these guys.

I've never shared the Coke VS. Pepsi instinct that so many people seem to have with everything. I like South Park, Family Guy, Simpsons, American Dad, Futurama, and even King of the Hill all for different reasons. I don't need one to be better than another or anything. They all have their moments of greatness and their moments of not-so-greatness. I'm just glad there are shows like that around otherwise the only thing I would use my television for is DVDs and Nintendo. :)

It's pretty cool they even animated the Family Guy cast, I wonder if that's legal?

388421[/snapback]

They probably got permission to do so. On season 6, there was an episode titled "The Simpsons Already Did It," wherein Butters went delirious over The Simpsons to the point where he saw everyone look like Matt Groenig's artwork (Dougie looked like Bart, Ms. Crabtree looked like Ottoman, Carman laughed like Nelson, etc.).

I wonder what would happen if they really did show the Prophet Mohammed?  :o  The show is so unpredictable you can never tell with these guys.

They actually had a Mohammed character on the season 5 episode "The Super Best Friends," wherein Jesus teamed up with other religious prophets (Buddha, Khrishna, Mohammed, Mormon creator Joseph Smith, and Seaman) to battle magician David Blaine.

Edited by areaseven

...Yea they bash Family Guy for sticking interchangeable jokes in the same story every week, but the fact of the matter is, FG is funnier. I don\\\'t think FG fans needed Matt and Trey to enlighten us to the FG formula; I just felt like they took the opportunity to make some jokes at the expense of the Muslims cartoons and FG, ...

388296[/snapback]

That\\\'s what the show is all about. It was also recognized by the Peabody committee and given it\\\'s prestigious award.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060405/ap_en_...eabody_awards_7

Edited by nightmareB4macross

I'll have to rewatch the episode (when do the repeats air again?), but I don't think they were really ripping Family Guy all that hard. Sure, Cartman's got his usual extreme opinions. But both Stan and Kyle (who usually set the tone/voice for the show) were both pretty level-headed and favorable towards FG.

If anything, yesteday's South Park was trying to make a point about freedom of speech and expression. About how easily they can be taken away, when we start acting over-reactionary, ridiculous, and fear-driven.

Considering all that's happening now in the US and what's been going on between South Park and Scientology, it makes sense that Matt & Trey would make this episode.

I think Sarensaas inadvertently hit the nail on the head: underneath all the fart and poop jokes, South Park at its best is some good old-fashioned, biting social satire.

If anything, I just love some of the reactions this last episode provoked in this thread. It's perfectly alright when South Park skewers:

1) Politics, political inclinations, political parties, political opinions, politicians;

2) Religions, religious dogma, religious symbols and icons, religious leaders and figures, devout believers, divinity itself;

3) Special interest groups, moralists, interventionists, environmentalists, nationalists, pacifists;

4) Hollywood, self important personalities, smug sport stars, elitist actors;

5) Americana, European culture, Asian culture, Latin American culture, African culture, Middle Eastern culture, ...;

6) Sex, sexual orientation, Puritanism, libertine morays;

7) Race, racial stereotypes, racism and bigotry;

8) Beatniks, peaceniks, hippies;

9) Mentally retarded, physically handicapped;

10) And just about anything else you can think of.

But poke fun at Family Guy, however mildly, and that's going too far.

I love it! :lol:

Edited by mechaninac

1004: "Cartoon Wars Part II" - Upon arriving at FOX studios, Cartman discovers who are actually behind the scriptwriting of Family Guy. As the rest of the U.S. have their heads buried in sand, Kyle must now prevent Family Guy from being pulled off the air forever.

That has got to be one of the most hilariously stupid episodes ever made. Right when the story continues from where it left off last week, Matt and Trey throw a curveball and throw in a Terrance & Phillip episode instead. Shortly afterwards, the episode resumes to Cartman's arrival.

So did they show Mohammed? SPOILER: Yes, FOX aired Family Guy with Mohammed on it. Comedy Central, however, didn't air the scene where Peter got a salmon helmet from Mohammed. As a result, Al-Qaeda retaliated with their "cartoon."

al-Zahwari: "See? That's much funnier than Family Guy!"

Edited by areaseven

You can see the unedited footage HERE

If I hadn't read about this today, I would have assumed that the censored version was the way it was actually meant to be. I assumed Parker & Stone were taking a shot at Comedy Central for yanking the Scientology episode last month.

I personally love the Scientology episode... and can't believe that CC censored the Muhammed shot... and yanked the Scientology ep...

The other thing that shocks me is the way William Donahue speaks about the SP writers in that article... uneccesarily crude and offensive language anybody?

the funny thing is that in season 5 they showed mohammed. guess that's another ep we wont see in syndication.

edit: that 'uncensored' clip is a fake according to the producer, however footage of the scene does exist.

Edited by MrDisco

Uh-oh...Matt and Trey are pissed. And I thought that scene was part of the joke...

Matt and Trey Lash at Comedy Central

Meanwhile, Catholics are focusing their anger on the show for portraying Jesus in the al-Qaeda "cartoon," which aired uncensored.

391371[/snapback]

It isn't just Catholics, but I'm pretty sure a lot of Christians (BOTH Catholic and Protestant) that are probably not too happy about what was in this episode including me.

Uh-oh...Matt and Trey are pissed. And I thought that scene was part of the joke...

Matt and Trey Lash at Comedy Central

Meanwhile, Catholics are focusing their anger on the show for portraying Jesus in the al-Qaeda "cartoon," which aired uncensored.

391371[/snapback]

It isn't just Catholics, but I'm pretty sure a lot of Christians (BOTH Catholic and Protestant) that are probably not too happy about what was in this episode including me.

392085[/snapback]

What I find offensive is not that they depicted Jesus flinging poo at everything "America"... crass, tasteless, infantile, imbecilic, and inappropriate maybe; but that is South Park. What I do find unforgivable is Comedy Central's selective, cavalier, feckless, sensitivity towards religious depictions and desecrations within the same damned episode.

How can they lucidly, and honestly, justify censoring the innocuous (as described in the text) showing of Mohamed while using the image of the Christian Icon in such a debasing manner gets their okay. It is beyond hypocritical and a sad vindication of the message Matt and Trey were trying to get across regarding this reflexive self-censorship of anything that might, perish the thought, offend the Muslims. Burry one's head in the sand indeed.

It just goes to show how pathetic the media's championing of the first amendment has become, and to their fear of retaliation from the same people whose a$$es they so piously try to kiss. After all, you don't see Bible thumpers strapping bombs to self detonate in the middle of crowds, or set fire to buildings, or murder those whom the feel has offended them.

Par for the course in this day and age.

Edit: Sorry if that sounds political... it isn't. It is, however, a sad commentary on the PC straight jacket governing most of what we see and hear in the media at large.

Edited by mechaninac

1005: "A Million Little Fibers" - Late on rent and out of a job, Towelie writes his memoirs, which becomes Oprah's book of the month. But deep inside Oprah is something evil that will do anything to grab her attention - so it calls Geraldo and exposes the truth on Towelie.

For the first time in five years, Matt and Trey churn out a South Park episode that doesn't feature our four heroes. Instead, they use Towelie in a satire of Oprah's recent book of the month fiasco. Just as expected in any episode involving towelie, this one's hilariously stupid. It even throws in numerous Monty Python references on the side.

1006: "Manbearpig" - Al Gore visits South Park and attempts to convince everyone that there's a half-man, half-bear and half-pig creature on the loose. He dupes the kids into coming with him in a cavern, where they are trapped after he shoots randomly inside. As the kids hope to be rescued soon while Gore creates more damage to the cavern, Cartman finds hidden treasure and attempts to smuggle it his way.

Well, tonight's episode was pretty funny for the most part, but like Al Gore, it's quickly forgettable. A whole bunch of the punch lines are forced, especially during the cavern tour. As for Cartman stuffing himself with buried treasure, he's actually done worse than that in the past (ref. "Weight Gain 4000" and "Cartman's Silly Hate Crime 2000").

And the moral of the story: there is none. Al Gore sucks. But then again, you knew that.

1007: "Tsst" - When Cartman's mom can't control him at all, Nanny 911 and Super Nanny arrive to correct the fatass's manners - only to fail miserably. Then comes Cesar Millan of The Dog Whisperer, who manages to control Cartman's behavior with unusual results.

I don't know about you guys, but this is probably the funniest episode of this season. Cartman reciting Emperor Palpatine's lines when he tells the nanny she's sterile is a complete riot. What a way to make up for last week's mediocre episode.

"Yes, let the anger come! Strike me down while you can! But it won't make your dried-up ovaries any more fertile!"

Edited by areaseven