Macross Zero

MacBoy29

Hello evryone at MacrossWorld !!!

You guys probally get this question alot, i don't know, but i would like to know a little bit of macross zero...

I know its about the past or like a prequel; But how many episodes are there?

Is like a regular anime with 25 or 36 episodes? or is like macross plus with just 4

big episodes or parts?

Are they available for DVD or sumthin (or soon) ???

And finally, what do you guys think of it ???

Thanks,

Macboy29

Macross Zero is a prequel series set one year before Space War One in the original series Super Dimension Fortress Macross. The Macross Zero series is planned to be an OVA (Original Video Animation) that is 5 episodes when finished. Currently, episodes one and two have been released on DVD. Episode three should come out soon.

So far, Macross Zero is great. While I was very apprehensive about the use of CGI in Macross Zero (which has a hit/miss history with anime), I am thrilled with the very entertaining results. The story itself is building very nicely, I'm enjoying the characters, and the new technical revelations about the universe of Macross are very exciting. I'd definitely recommend watching this series.

A big warm welcome to ya :)

Edited by Mr March

One thing that's been bugging me about Mac0 which I haven't seen covered here (at the new server -- I have no idea about the old) is, well...isn't pretty much everyone in M0 doomed? Sure, Shin, Edgar and Aries might end up on the Macross (I kind of doubt it, though), but what about the people of Mayan? The "Rain of Fire" is going to hit in two years and wipe out most of the planet.

I'm beginning to wonder if Mayan Island itself isn't some kind of ship (all that "turtle shell" stuff), but that seems like a cheesy theory.

Any thoughts?

One thing that's been bugging me about Mac0 which I haven't seen covered here (at the new server -- I have no idea about the old) is, well...isn't pretty much everyone in M0 doomed? Sure, Shin, Edgar and Aries might end up on the Macross (I kind of doubt it, though), but what about the people of Mayan? The "Rain of Fire" is going to hit in two years and wipe out most of the planet.

I'm beginning to wonder if Mayan Island itself isn't some kind of ship (all that "turtle shell" stuff), but that seems like a cheesy theory.

Any thoughts?

yep , they pretty much die with the other 90% of the population , unless they somehow get to the Macross before SW1.

At least we can be sure that Edgar dies :p

Yes, it's pretty depressing to think that everyone on the island is going to die. From a story point of view, that is--how can we care about the struggles of characters who we already know are doomed? This makes me think that, indeed, some of them are going to make it aboard the Macross, or else they'll benefit from some kind of "mystical" protection or escape to another dimension.

Another thing I wonder about is the repeated bird/humanoid imagery in the story, from the myth of the birdman to the AFOS to the variable fighters. It makes me wonder if Kawamori is going to come up with some sort of crazy story about the human(oid) form itself being somehow special, which might somehow explain, finally, why the Macross's transformed state looks like a giant robot.

I watched it, and you have a point. But in GotF, they not only tell you the ending at the beginning, but the pathetic struggle for survival is a theme hanging over the story. If Kawamori et. al. continue to develop the impending destruction as a theme through foreshadowing, and show the characters dealing with it, I think that will work.

I'm going to have to go back and watch M0 eps. 1-2 with more than just cool transforming airplanes on my mind.

Edit: but let me give you an example of how not to handle a doomed character: Newt in Aliens/Aliens 3. Admittedly, we're not dealing with a prequel, so it's not a perfect analogy, but the way that one of the key themes of Aliens was just swept aside at the beginning of Aliens 3 was terrible.

Edited by ewilen

Edit: but let me give you an example of how not to handle a doomed character: Newt in Aliens/Aliens 3. Admittedly, we're not dealing with a prequel, so it's not a perfect analogy, but the way that one of the key themes of Aliens was just swept aside at the beginning of Aliens 3 was terrible.

Heh. Real Life's a biotch like that sometimes, though, isn't it?

I'm thinking that Maya will probably survive and be part of the ~10% that doesn't get annihilated like the rest. Part of the reason why it's so primitive IMO. But I won't be terribly disapoited if it's directly targetted by the main weapon of Britai's flagship, either. :lol: Not knowing which characters may or not survive (get into the SDF-1 etc... we KNOW *ROY* is going to make it, so why coudln't any of the other main characters?) is what makes it interesting because there's a gigantic threat that WILL be coming.

In fact, I'm eagerly anticipating seeing the death from the stars as one of the final scenes of the OVA in something that should be pretty moving. Along with the seed of hope that will remain. Though on the latter, I'm imagining we'll see something stereotypically Japanese ala post-Hiroshima/Nagasaki there, too. As opposed to the mutant fish bit from DYRL.

Now if I can that blech taste out of my mouth from the Deus Ex Machina of the mass cloning that will follow...

Edited by Uxi

Heh. Real Life's a biotch like that sometimes, though, isn't it?

Yes, it is, but it's not just a matter of how things turn out; it's also a question of how the story is told, how our emotions and expectations are manipulated. One of the things that was good about Aliens was how it made us care about Newt and empathize with Ripley's desire to save her. If Aliens was a news report, that wouldn't be necessary, and I wouldn't have felt betrayed by the opening of Aliens 3. Since Aliens was a work of fiction, the opening of Aliens 3 ruins an important aspect of Aliens in my eyes.

Well, yes :lol: but even if Aliens 3 weren't crap, the bit with Newt would still have been stupid.

Another sequel that in addition to being crap on its own, also managed to spit on the main theme of predecessor's story within the first 10 minutes, was The Fly II.

About the rain of fire... So, in the TV series, 10% of the surface population survives? (Not counting the 70,000~ on Macross.) But in DYRL, there are no survivors on the surface of the Earth whatsoever, right? (Atleast as far as we know)

I would like to know...

Yes, it is, but it's not just a matter of how things turn out; it's also a question of how the story is told, how our emotions and expectations are manipulated. One of the things that was good about Aliens was how it made us care about Newt and empathize with Ripley's desire to save her.

Exactly. And I think that's the point of Alien 3. I don't despise it like some do, though it's admitedly not as good. What I find ironic is how much luv Aliens gets. Boy Scouts would have better small unit tactics (to say nothing of discipline). It's definately how hollyweird would fight Vietnam (which is Cameron's stated inspiration)...

About the rain of fire... So, in the TV series, 10% of the surface population survives? (Not counting the 70,000~ on Macross.) But in DYRL, there are no survivors on the surface of the Earth whatsoever, right? (Atleast as far as we know)

I would like to know...

Yeah, that's right.

In the TV series, there were also presumably survivors on the Moon Base (Bases...?) and, apparently, in some space colonies.

In DYRL, I suppose there could have been some survivors that Hikaru and Misa missed, but nothing in the movie implies that.

I would like to know...

Yeah, that's right.

In the TV series, there were also presumably survivors on the Moon Base (Bases...?) and, apparently, in some space colonies.

In DYRL, I suppose there could have been some survivors that Hikaru and Misa missed, but nothing in the movie implies that.

Another sequel that in addition to being crap on its own, also managed to spit on the main theme of predecessor's story within the first 10 minutes, was The Fly II.

As long as we're talking about sequels that spit on the themes of their predecessors, let us not forget Terminator 3. Granted, it took the whole movie to do it, but it still did it.